EphemeralWallaby.7643

The Charr

/15characters

~EW

List one thing you love about GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I DO love the new maps and the new music. it’s beautiful. the maps are much more complicated (tangled depths specially) but it’s fun to travel around. Enemies are a bit much for me, but I learned to just avoid most of them unless I really need to fight them…

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Living story in season 1 mode.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

female characters being able to choose to be in full armor or more skimpy clothes, many games don’t actually give both options for female characters.
Now they just need to give us males the choice to wear more skimpy outfits (I’m looking at you, medium armor male humans)

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

Cooperative PvE has to be my number one.

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

Raids for sure, best content I’ve played in an MMO to date.

Posted by: Vyshe.7940

Vyshe.7940

SUPER ADVENTURE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

The community! Well, the part of it that’s in-game and not QQing here or on Reddit.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

The community! Well, the part of it that’s in-game and not QQing here or on Reddit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is one of the few MMO’s I can send someone mats to help craft me something (thank you timegate) and not have to worry so much that they will just take them and leave.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Oh yeah, whoever said level scaling I have to agree.

I know some people enjoy feeling insanely powerful when they go back to a low level area on a high level character and can one-shot everything, but I much prefer having meaningful fights (and being able to get XP and drops) wherever I go.

I also like that it means Anet can use all of the existing maps when creating new ‘end game’ content instead of having to restrict it to the level 80 maps or instances.

I would have to agree with the level scaling too. The funny thing is, before I bought GW2, I thought it would be a horrible way to play. I liked feeling powerful and one-shotting everything in the game I was then playing and couldn’t imagine not being able to do that. I soon got to appreciate it though. It is an inspired concept and means the low level areas will always be relevant no matter your level.

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I love being able to play other games during content droughts without worrying about my subscription fees.

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

I love being able to play other games during content droughts without worrying about my subscription fees.

This 1,000%

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

HoT maps.

They are incredibly frustrating….and simply amazing! A lot of people complain about them and many feel that HoT was not worth the price, but when one steps back and looks critically at how beautiful and intricate they are, and consequently, how much work must have gone into deigning and coding such complicated maps for a game of this scale….its mind boggling…and worth every penny I paid for the privilege of experiencing them.

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Posted by: Anka.5086

Anka.5086

Combat mechanic + ability to change build anytime

Posted by: Doonx.5347

Doonx.5347

Absolutely sylvari, that’s enough for me.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Super Adventure Box.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Being able to swing/bash/shoot/cast while moving with an amount of fluidity unmatched in other MMO’s.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Interesting to note that the only thing listed from HoT is gliding. Everything else was from before that.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Interesting to note that the only thing listed from HoT is gliding. Everything else was from before that.

Just to split that hair a bit… most of that everything else is still that.

~EW

P.S. Can I go again yet? ‘Cause if so: Sylvari Cultural Armor. I don’t know why they’d ever wear anything else!

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

The Tyrian World / Cosmos / Lore.

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | RĂ©mi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

(edited by AuroraW.7149)

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

The combat and Lore

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Leveling

Do heart event where I get multiple things to do instead of one thing. Instead of only being able to kill x to progress the bar, I can kill x and gather y to progress it.

No backtracking to quest giver, just get the xp and go. Only backtracking needed if wanting to see what goods at the heart vendor.

Not into hearts? Do events, explore and find events. Run around, there is no hard set path.

Everything gives you xp! Wandering around? Xp. Crafting? Xp. Gathering? Xp. Fighting, events, hearts. Xp all around.

Gw2 has spoiled me on the leveling design. So much so that going to any other MMO, the first thing I groan about is being forced back into the old questing system…

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The Charr

/15characters

~EW

I wanted to say this too.

Looking at other mmos, they just don’t seem to get their “bestial” races right. Its mostly still “too” human in some way, or just a neko.

Gw2 actually gave me a monstrous race to run around as

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

My guilds.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

The combat system.

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

It is so very difficult to say just one. The beautiful and timeless paint brush stroke art style.

Pancakes
Thief

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The earnest enthusiasm Human Guardians shout “Retreat!” with. And conversely, the complete lack of enthusiasm ‘phoned-in’ quality of the Charr’s same shout, as though they don’t quite know what the word means.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Quaggans

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

the fact that i don’t need billion macros just to use skills

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Sartharina.3542

The City of Ebonhawke.

There’s something overwhelmingly satisfying about being able to talk sense into stupid people with snarky comments, and stab terrorists in the face BEFORE they start blowing people up.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

The Charr

/15characters

~EW

Looking at other mmos, they just don’t seem to get their “bestial” races right. Its mostly still “too” human in some way, or just a neko.

My favorite non-human race I ever played in a MMO was in Istaria. You got to play as a dragon… on all fours… your ‘equipment’ was scales… and as you leveled up you got larger and larger. Eventually you could learn to fly. It was mind-blowing.

~EW

Sartharina.3542

They just brought Super Adventure Box back.

THEY JUST BROUGHT SUPER ADVENTURE BOX BACK!:

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

They brought back Super Adventure Box! And made Super Adventure Box to begin with, it’s one of the most random things I’ve seen, and great fun too.

Interesting… two pages in, and not one person has (seriously) mentioned “raids” or “legendaries” or “high mob density and convoluted maps in HoT” as their favorite thing about GW2.

I haven’t got to HoT yet, but from what little screwing around in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin I’ve done, I like murdering pocket raptors (Seriously – what is everyone’s problem with those?) and the complexity of the maps. They look like they’ll be fun to learn and just wander through.

How frustrating the pocket raptors are depends on your profession/build. If you can do lots of AoE damage they’re easy, if not they can be really annoying.

On my ranger I find them quite fun. Aggro them, drop a spike trap, drop a bonfire on the spike trap, wait. Maybe pick off any stragglers with my sword.

HoT maps.

They are incredibly frustrating….and simply amazing! A lot of people complain about them and many feel that HoT was not worth the price, but when one steps back and looks critically at how beautiful and intricate they are, and consequently, how much work must have gone into deigning and coding such complicated maps for a game of this scale….its mind boggling…and worth every penny I paid for the privilege of experiencing them.

I love the HoT maps too.

It’s hard to explain why exactly, other than they’re beautiful and I find just moving through them fun. But it’s also the level of detail, the fact that there are so many things to find (by which I don’t just mean check points for map completion, I mean everything – the jumping puzzles, the mastery points, the strongboxes, the hidden objects like masks, the NPCs, random things like the skritt freaking out that Tahrir is so shiny…everything).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

Engineers, because I can run amok pretending I’m a Sapper from the Malazan series

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Super Adventure Box!

(… and the fact that it’s back)

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

One thing?
Well, I love two things… But as German, I can use a grammar trick: Compound nouns!

Alright:

Asura-Engineer.

Being a diminutive creature that builds, constructs and invents machines and weapons that compensate for the small stature is plausible thing (unlike Asura guardians). But in general, I like multiple things about those two.

Asura
I always play small races. Lalafell in Final Fantasy 14, Tristana was my first char in League of Legends almost 6 years ago. While in LoL, the races are not relevant, in FF14 the Lalafell are treated like cute merchandise things. They do not really have any relevance and story-wise, it just sucks so much I quitted before… some of them die. Whatever.
In GW2, the Asura are the real opposite.

They know they are a powerful bunch. The snobbish attitude is cute. They know they’re needed in Tyria. They are respected (well, Charr treat us..uh…not so nicely. But we don’t mind I guess) Despite they go up to a Norn’s belt, they’re condescending and sassy. Simply because THEY CAN! Also, as someone of Anet said in 2011 in an interview (I closed the tab and can’t find it anymore…) that they’re at the borderline of being cute and evil. I feel totally happy when playing an Asura and it’d feel wrong to me when I’d play anything else than an Asura. Great design in any way!

The first conversations of the NPCs in Metrica Province made me instantly smile. Those Asura kids making ‘Yo mama’ jokes. The messages delivered by Golems and the reactions of certain krewe leaders to them. The chatter during gameplay. And the long ears. The animations are beautiful. Strafing, running (and stopping), jumping, jumping while running. They can be as evil, bad or condescending as they want: I’d like to hug and cuddle them. Even the old ones. That look like the Halloween pumpkin from the last year….

Engineer
I quitted FF14 and was looking for a game. I watched a dozen of GW2 videos and was like “Meh…”. Then, there was that female Asura. Waving into the camera. In a pink gear. Then the camera zoomed out, she pulled out the flamethrower and grilled NPCs. I went from “Meh” to “Wowowowwo!!!!” in a split second.

I do not care about the other classes, because this is the perfect class for me. The gameplay is like a 3rd person shooter to me. In a fully-fledged MMORPG environment. They’re also perfectly integrated. Unlike other games that add nonsense like “Pirates” or “Ninjas” which are totally out of place, the Engineer can stand right to a Guardian or Mage – and still fits in.

The gameplay is great. Nothing FOTM about it. I rarely see other Engineers but that makes it even better. I also feel like there’s always the right tool or weapon for everything and the gameplay is fun. Keeping the conditions up, throw grenades, put a bunch of enemies on fire with the flamethrower, switching back, shooting a poison gas shell from a vintage point and get myself a stimulant from my Med Kit.

I might play sub-par, but the way I play and enjoy this class it’s perfect to me.

Also, I like both the look and feel of the class AND the race.
The one is my wallpaper, the other is my Windows Login-Screen.
Both is self-explaining :-)

Attachments:

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Posted by: inch.3769

inch.3769

The open worlds events

[tc]

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

It is tricky to just settle on one.

I’d have to say the combat system. It’s not perfect but it’s a lot more active than most RPGs I’ve played, without being too limited in what players can do, and without having dozens of keybinds you hardly ever need to use.

I didn’t realise how much I liked it until I opened up GW1 again and figured out that it wasn’t my ability to play the game that had degraded, it was just that you couldn’t actually do that much, and the tells on enemy actions didn’t even exist.

Skill balance is a different matter, but the basics of GW2 combat are the main reason I’d like to see WvW done right in GW2, and not somewhere else.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Guild Wars 1.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

The ability to mix together appearances of armor pieces to form a unique style for each character I have or am inspired to make as I romp about the world seeking adventure.

This is something I really loved about GW2 as most other MMORPGs had focused on the whole ‘outfit’ side of armor appearances.

Disappointingly, ANet has now gone this way with armor appearances and only offers outfits on the gem store. At least there is a somewhat decent selection for each armor weight available.

I await the day they go back to offering armor pieces and sets in the gem store. Or, in addition to the gem store, added as drops out in the world (as opposed to the other disappointing change they made of requiring ridiculous grind for one piece of one set for one weight…yeah…no).

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Asuras, its always been Asuras, since Guildwars 1 first showed them and i got my free Asura minipet.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The Charr

/15characters

~EW

My favorite non-human race I ever played in a MMO was in Istaria. You got to play as a dragon… on all fours… your ‘equipment’ was scales… and as you leveled up you got larger and larger. Eventually you could learn to fly. It was mind-blowing.

~EW

I played Horizons for … three years? Two? Starting from launch, until a little bit after WoW launch. Yes, the race range was amazing, and when they introduced the dragon aging ritual quests it was fantastic. The game was also highly cooperative. But the game graphically suffered thanks to needing to render every single object for miles around your character, even when occluded by walls.

That’s another thing to love about GW2: it gives really smooth performance. Granted computers can handle a lot more than in the early days of Horizons (now renamed Istaria), but I think ANet’s done an awful lot under the hood that usually goes unsung.

Yeah, my posts in this thread have not been about the game itself so far, but I’ve showered praises for the in game stuff in other threads in the past. So I’m looking for new compliments

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Chillin’ with Scout Acan

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

Chillin’ with Scout Acan

I… I thought I was the only one.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: emma.5967

emma.5967

Cinematics / Design / Music … Sorry, that’s three.

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

I used to love key farming but now that thats gone…..I love dyes, outfits, makeover kits, gem store shopping, and hollidays such as Halloween and Christmas PS. plz bring back the pvp thing on next halloween where you had to hide from ghosts or else they killed you and turned you into 1 as well that was fun. ( SRY that was more than 1 but Owell xD)

Posted by: Alexbull.4705

Alexbull.4705

BLOOD LEGION!

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Did someone mention the community? Most of the time I am rolling my eyes at the map chat or feeling irritated by some noisy skill user in the bank but there are times when you just have to smile and all is forgiven. I stumbled on this impromptu dress up (or undress) party the other day and had a quiet chuckle.

On another game’s forum, someone asked the question of why bother with an online game when they look much the same as a game you play on your own. I actually used this pic to illustrate why I enjoy the whole online experience as much as I do.

Attachments:

Posted by: Jayt.5690

Jayt.5690

so many neat outfit/gear options and dye combos

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

Hours long skirmishes in WvW.

Did someone mention the community? Most of the time I am rolling my eyes at the map chat or feeling irritated by some noisy skill user in the bank but there are times when you just have to smile and all is forgiven. I stumbled on this impromptu dress up (or undress) party the other day and had a quiet chuckle.

On another game’s forum, someone asked the question of why bother with an online game when they look much the same as a game you play on your own. I actually used this pic to illustrate why I enjoy the whole online experience as much as I do.

Just place a box of fun down and see people acting silly, it feels the best.

(edited by nsleep.7839)