Make bag slot upgrades account wide

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

400 gems is the cost of a SINGLE unlock today.
Suddenly unlocking three times as much for the same price will not happen.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Darkwolfer.7819

Darkwolfer.7819

400 gems is the cost of a SINGLE unlock today.
Suddenly unlocking three times as much for the same price will not happen.

That is a single-minded thought. I know plenty of people who have 10+ characters who do not buy them now because of how narrow they are.

I myself accidentally bought one thinking it was account-wide (apparently I didn’t read) but got very disappointed and will NEVER buy another.

If they made it unlock the three additional slots for 400 gems I would be more apt to consider it at least on 2-3 toons that I play the most. Some people I know who mule might be more apt to do it as well…

THUS 3x as many for same price > no sells at all.

Though you might be right, there is probably enough ignorant consumers out there who are buying them because they have nothing better to do with their money then spend it on unlocking tons of bags at a steep price. So yeah ANet probably wont change it… consumer power is dead because people don’t know how to use purchasing power.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Though you might be right, there is probably enough ignorant consumers out there who are buying them because they have nothing better to do with their money then spend it on unlocking tons of bags at a steep price. So yeah ANet probably wont change it… consumer power is dead because people don’t know how to use purchasing power.

It’s not that they are ignorant it’s just that they don’t have problems buying $5€ a bag slot per character in a game they enjoy playing. Just like how HoT is not going to be able to be bought with gems. ANet needs cash flow. Real cash flow.

To put it in MMO terms, they prefer CoT (cash over time) Vs a spike in cash. An account unlock may cause a spike but it would erode significantly any future income from that item.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I feel like a lot of people misunderstood OP. What he(/she) asks doesn’t increase the value of bag slots; he simply asks that you should have the ability to move already purchased bag slot expansions between characters, this way if you want to delete a character with expanded invectory that doesn’t go to waste.

Seems perfectly reasonable for me

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I prefer the current price.
Making them account-wide would increase the price quite a bit, in order to compensate for the loss of income due to less being sold.

And yes, people can claim all they want that more will be sold and thus that would compensate. But do we actually know that?
And what happens when people have bought it and few new players are coming into the game? That would mean that the income from them would basically become zero, due to people creating new characters would no longer need to buy another unlock.

Plus, if they made them account bound then I’d make out like a bandit, many other players as well. I’ve already got a character with all slots unlocked so all my other 54 characters would fill up for free.

Pretty much this.

Across all my characters I have not once bought a single bag upgrade slot – I’m really anal about keeping my inventory clean (in any game, MMO or otherwise), so I haven’t really found the need for them (that being said I’ve not spent that much time in wvw. I hear it’s pretty bad sometimes). I just tend to visit the bank a lot on toons with small inventories. I’ve already bought the max amount of bank upgrades that I can (as well as having a personal guild bank that’s completely upgraded) and I’ve found that to be enough. If I need more space I’ll just go on a deleting spree with the dragonite ore.

With this being said, I don’t know how I feel about this discussion. Making bag upgrades available on all characters would be super duper handy (especially for those of us altoholics), but I see the very valid points about it reducing the income for Anet.

If the slots become account wide, one would only need 4 of them. That’s a given. How would the price be calculated though? And how much more would be charged per extra character bought after the initial 5, if anything? Or should we be charged slightly more when buying extra character slots if one has already purchased the bag upgrade?

If they do become account-wide, how would Anet replace this loss of revenue?

After all’s been said in this thread, I just don’t think there will be a single change made to the inventory slot upgrades – price or otherwise.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I feel like a lot of people misunderstood OP. What he(/she) asks doesn’t increase the value of bag slots; he simply asks that you should have the ability to move already purchased bag slot expansions between characters, this way if you want to delete a character with expanded invectory that doesn’t go to waste.

i agree with this. Though I would prefer Anet implement a build saving/swapping mechanism similar to gw1, where you can save armor sets into a build ‘wardrobe’ and keep them out of your inventory. I’d pay gems for an account-wide number of build saves that would store armor sets on that build in a special wardrobe.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That is reasonable. But too many just read the title and reply, pro or con, accordingly.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Teleniel.1809

Teleniel.1809

I have 2 standards…

• Main : 150 slots
    I love the space on my guardian. It lets me carry every weapon I want to use, along with a few extra armor/trinket sets, various food/potions… sit on materials (luck, bloodstone, dragonite), currency (Geode, Crests, Shovels, Sand) & event items (Nightmare Keys/shards, Tarnished Key, Bandit Keys, Zepherite … etc.)
    • -20 slot starter
    • -20 slot (fractal green)
    • -20 slot (fractal green)
    • -20 slot (fractal rare)
    • -20 slot crafting
    • -20 slot junk
    • -15 slot invisible
    • -15 slot invisible
  • Alts (all 7) : 60 slots
    Most of my Alts I use for a dungeon here or there, or to change it up for a daily or gathering a map. There’s often nothing lost by just going to WvW to hit a quick vendor/dump inventory in bank tabs. Would more space be nice? sure, but they only have one equipment set (and not all of them even 80 exotic)
    • -20 slot starter
    • -10 slot basic
    • -10 slot crafting
    • -10 slot junk
    • -10 slot invisible

All that being said, I wish that bag slots were account wide.
I think they should come at/near the same cost as bank tabs then (600gems).
I think that people with bag slots currently on one/multiple characters, should be able to purchase an “account upgrade” which scales in cost (similar to the living story 2) based on the number of old bag slots they’d already purchased.

• 1 bag slot (700) (minimum 200 if some have been purchased)
  • 3 bag slot package (1,900) (minimum 800 if some have been purchased)
  • -100/bag slot (old) already purchased on the account

That’s just what I’m thinking…
currently 15$ for 1 character, this system would make it 15$ more to make it account wide. New accounts would be spending 25$ to upgrade.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

What you all forget is that there are people with lot of alts. I have 25 char and around 20 bagslot upgrades on ~12 of them. So changing bagslots account wide would be nice, but there would have to be some rules:

1. If they just add them accountwide, then these would have to cost 400gems*3*every accountchar-already bought ones. This way it would cost way to much for everyone.
2. If they sell them like 1 acc-wide slot for 1k gems, then they would have to refund everyone who bought already more!!! (It would be in no way ok that people like me paid ~8k gems and others get them for their account for 1k… or something.)

So either way if anet changes anything at bagslot, the only loser will be anet. Because they will either have to refund thousands of gems to people with lot alts and bags or they would have to create extremly high acc-wide pricetags in the 10k gems area and then noone will buy them anymore.

In my opinion they should only change the price tag. For each bag you bought they should decrease the price for 10gems. If I buy my first slot then I pay 400gems, for the second 390, for the 20th 200, for the 30th 100 and at 100gems per slot should be a minimum cap then.

That way everyone profits. Anet will lose closely to no money from the “one char only” players and people with lot of alts can buy more bags on their alts for a reasonable price.
Think about it, currently if I would only have my 25 char, I would have to pay $375 for all chars to have full bagslots, that amount is just wrong!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Sounds reasonable, but there would have to be checks and balances.

First off, the “old” character would have to be deleted or prevented from regaining the bag slots. Why? So someone can’t just shuffle around his bag slot expansions since that is almost equal to making them account global.

Second, maybe they’d have to be limited to how many times you can reshuffle them. There need to be limits to stuff like this.

Thus this becomes way more complex then it has to be. Anet has metrics on how many people buy bag slot expansions. If they feel the revenue generated does not justify the price, they"ll change it.

To everyone arguing “I would never buy them at this price, yada yada yada.” Obviously they are of not enough value to you at 400 gems price per bag slot. There is other people out there who are fine with their pricing. Arguing that:

“I’d buy them if they were account wide at price xyz.”

Is nothing else than saying:“I think they are to expensive. I’d buy them if cheaper.”

And we are back to, who ever values the bag slot at current pricing will get it, who ever doesn’t won’t. Again, anet has their data on if and how they should change this.

EDIT: for the record, I have 4 characters with maxed bag slot expansions (with 10 character slots available). Most bought with ingame gold for gems exchange. Though I will add that I got my first 2 character bag slots when gems were 35 silver per 100 gems and precursors were 65g on the TP (shortly post launch).

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I bought one extra slot for my ranger and one for my warrior, my first two characters. this was because when the game first launched crafting required all items in inventory and as my chef the ranger needed more space. My warrior got one for dungeon running. in the almost three years since then I have not felt the need to buy more, and given I now have 7 characters it’s unlikely I will pay to buy any more on a per character basis.

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Thread title size is limited, so if people actually read my followup post, they would see that I suggested that bags only apply to one character at a time, but can be moved freely.

I am NOT asking for a five dollar unlock to open up the slots of EVERY character you own.
I am asking for slot unlocks to be movable so if you delete a character, or start a new main account, you can move them!

This DOES slightly lower the value of the bags, but it ALSO makes them more likely to be bought! Few people want to spend money on something that’s permanently bound to a character, unlike nearly everything else on the gem store.