Needing 10,000 of single item not grindy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Saying 10,000 items needs more context. There is a difference between 10,000 really easy items to obtain that one can get 5000 in 8 hours of gaming, compared to 10,000 hard items to get that you can only get 100 in 8 hours of gaming. So need more context in this regard.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Running your daily circle for ori and wood. What is the purpose of running to those nodes. Because you are on the way to somewhere?

So you are telling me I am doing it wrong if I do not spend half an hour a day running around gathering stuff instead of playing the game?
Are you serious, you can not see the grind that is right in front of your eyes?

Yes your doing it wrong still. I havn’t ran around gathering those in months cause i changed my method and having fun while getting materials. Play the game not try to grind for those and you will see different results. Hell i don’t run to all the World bosses just to get my daily rare for some ecto. I get my rares from drops from playing and I get a lot of rares cause I play for fun. I have 3 ascended weapons and have enough materials to make another 9 from just playing. Did i grind? Nope didnt even make an effort but here i am with enough materials.

Type /age
See result.

You are not the average player. You play so much that you get alot of stuff.

It is like telling people playing an asian grinder, the game is not grindy, just kill stuff at your own pace and you will sooner or later level up…

1600hrs. based on that number I am a causal player. Congratz you proved nothing. I got 9300AP which based on leaderboards is not that high either.

Which doing some math states i been playing less than 4hrs per day.

Guess what? There aren’t a lot of folks who can play 4 hours a day or even one hour everyday. Playing an MMO isn’t a part time job which is what you get with 4 hours a day on average.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

If fluff is connected to an aweful grind, that is 100% fine. Skins, minis, whatever

Oh … you are one of the players who never ever want a legendary because it is only a skin. ;-)

Sitael.4680

At what point do you have to grind for materials? Hell i got a stockpile from just playing the game normally. If your grinding for the materials then your not playing right and should take a break.

Either you never made any ascended weapons or you bought the stuff that can be on sale.
What is normally for you? i have 3 80 level chars and for me is normally to do 80 level stuff. mainly dungeons and fractals and a coulpe of bigger group event, wvw. Now i’m forced to go out in areas i don’t like so much and collect the mats i need: iron, wood etc.
i have had a loot from that mats but it was and is far not enough to replace all the exotics of my 3 chars with ascended foe example my main has/had four different exotic sets (armour, jewelry, weapons (and from that also more than one)).
To carft all that weapons just for one char is a bit grindy, but for 3 chars it is very grindy.

Sitael.4680

1600hrs. based on that number I am a causal player. Congratz you proved nothing. I got 9300AP which based on leaderboards is not that high either.

You are a funny one.

Over roughly a period of 400 days since release you spend 200 working days (8h a day) on GW2. working five days a week means you spent 40 weeks of work on this game…
I really hope you are sarcastic with this casual thing, if not, well, sorry.

I thought first you right -1600 is a lot -, but then i looked at my /age.
“since creating the account 392 days ago … 2.531 hours” Holy moly!!!!
No, i do not want any math on this. I have a 40-50 hours/week job, an RL and other hobbies as playing online. I’m sure not the very casual gamer but still far from “employed for gaming” and i know a couple of players who spent much more time as me in this game.

So what casual is, is also just a very subjectiv definition.

eisberg.2379

You are a funny one.

Over roughly a period of 400 days since release you spend 200 working days (8h a day) on GW2. working five days a week means you spent 40 weeks of work on this game…
I really hope you are sarcastic with this casual thing, if not, well, sorry.

I thought first you right -1600 is a lot -, but then i looked at my /age.
“since creating the account 392 days ago … 2.531 hours” Holy moly!!!!
No, i do not want any math on this. I have a 40-50 hours/week job, an RL and other hobbies as playing online. I’m sure not the very casual gamer but still far from “employed for gaming” and i know a couple of players who spent much more time as me in this game.

So what casual is, is also just a very subjectiv definition.

I’m pretty sure that vast majority would agree that 6.5 Hours a day, kitten hours a week, playing is far far from casual, and is more towards Hardcore. Spending kitten hours per week is very close to “employed for gaming”

Sitael.4680

There is an obvious reason anet has done this. As another poster mentioned, there is a huge amount of candy corn floating around. They made a mistake last year and made the corn far too easy to get, which they corrected this year. Now they have added in these recipes to empty the economy of the excess corn.

It would be easier for ANet to buy out them from the TP as pressing palyers to do such a grind just to remove some amount of things from the game. i’m sure after the event it will be much more candy corn floating around as before.

Sitael.4680

I’m pretty sure that vast majority would agree that 6.5 Hours a day, kitten hours a week, playing is far far from casual, and is more towards Hardcore. Spending kitten hours per week is very close to “employed for gaming”

I said, i don’t want any maths on this! ;-)
Why the math is wrong: you forgot holidays and other things where i do not have to work. 6.5 hours every single day, i could and would never ever be able to do that.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

So I remember this game, being touted as not being a grindy game.

Is this a sign of things to come?

Should we start preparing to save 10-20,000 of every item in the game, so that we can possibly afford the new content as it comes out?

Am I going to need 15,000 snowflakes to make a new Christmas Mini.

Why are you doing this to the player base? Is it fun for you to tell us we are not going to get a grind-y game, and then smack us in the face with the biggest grind-fests possible?

Thanks for the fair game, fun, casual game. Oh wait…

Also, by the way casual players. You no longer matter.

If you were ranting about BiS gear I’d wholeheartedly agree but a Christmas Mini?
That’s as vain as vanity items go, it contributes nothing to the actual gameplay so truth be told I don’t see a problem silly items being hard to get.

Exactly, why does a cute little holiday goodie require half of what a legendary takes?

Explain please.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

So I remember this game, being touted as not being a grindy game.

Is this a sign of things to come?

Should we start preparing to save 10-20,000 of every item in the game, so that we can possibly afford the new content as it comes out?

Am I going to need 15,000 snowflakes to make a new Christmas Mini.

Why are you doing this to the player base? Is it fun for you to tell us we are not going to get a grind-y game, and then smack us in the face with the biggest grind-fests possible?

Thanks for the fair game, fun, casual game. Oh wait…

Also, by the way casual players. You no longer matter.

If you were ranting about BiS gear I’d wholeheartedly agree but a Christmas Mini?
That’s as vain as vanity items go, it contributes nothing to the actual gameplay so truth be told I don’t see a problem silly items being hard to get.

It doesn’t matter what the item is, people play games to have fun, not to collect 10000 of something, if i wanted that i’d go collect coins or cards not play a Video game..

Yes this grind is needless OP, and a major reason why so many left, me included, its just no longer fun anymore, so why bother wasting your time.

it’s only “grindy” if you want one of those specific rewards.

casual players looking for fun can have just as much fun as they did before…. and most casual players are smart enough to know they can’t chase every reward/title/achievement/item… that some things will simply be out of reach given their casual nature.

Casual players might as well not play, this will make the economy insane for casual players and chase them away, with stuff like the skins that Anet only puts on the bltp and makes them rng for keys and casual players not able to get ahold of them unless they shell out an insane amount of cash for a game they play casually I don’t see that happening.

Bye Bye casuals. Sad Anet didn’t want to play with us, we must not be worthy.

Totally agree here, its like they no longer want customers anymore, seems like a really strange business plan too shoo away your customers, with insane grinds that suit only a small percentage but ok..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There is an obvious reason anet has done this. As another poster mentioned, there is a huge amount of candy corn floating around. They made a mistake last year and made the corn far too easy to get, which they corrected this year. Now they have added in these recipes to empty the economy of the excess corn.

It would be easier for ANet to buy out them from the TP as pressing palyers to do such a grind just to remove some amount of things from the game. i’m sure after the event it will be much more candy corn floating around as before.

That would be a terrible idea. In order for the devs to do that, they would have to artificially inject gold in to the economy. That would be a sure way to screw up the in game economy very quickly and would not solve the problem.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You have an entire month to collect those items.

It is flat out impossible to collect those (i mean nougats, fangs and skulls – candy is theoretically a borderline case, as it drops more often) by even most extensive farming. You have 28 days to farm 10k objects. Just do the rest of the math yoursef.

Or you have years to farm it…it’s like the lucky title and 9 rings. It took years. So you save your candy corn and next year you get what you need, or the year after.

Why must everything have to be done now? What’s wrong with a long term goal….particualarly since there’s a candy corn node in my home instance now.

eisberg.2379

Saying 10,000 items needs more context. There is a difference between 10,000 really easy items to obtain that one can get 5000 in 8 hours of gaming, compared to 10,000 hard items to get that you can only get 100 in 8 hours of gaming. So need more context in this regard.

Can someone please answer the one above. Really need the context in all of this.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Can someone please answer the one above. Really need the context in all of this.

This thread is referencing the halloween crafting materials, and the fact that the event weapons require an impossible amount of grinding (at present rates) in order to gather all the items required.

Specifically The Mad Moon, The Crossing and Arachnophobia.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Candy_Corn_Cob
which you need 15 of to get
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween_Pail
20 of to get
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Bloody_Prince_Thorn
and feel free to take a look at all the other mats for those Cob recipes in the first link…they require 10 of a 1000 collection of rare drops (nougat, fangs, skulls) for a total of 10,000 of those, plus 10,000 candy corn.

(as an aside, this is all total bull to me.)

OH AND I FORGOT, LOL.

That’s just to get the recipe to make them. To make the actual weapon,
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Souls

(edited by Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

20 of to get
and feel free to take a look at all the other mats for those Cob recipes in the first link…they require 10 of a 1000 collection of rare drops (nougat, fangs, skulls) for a total of 10,000 of those, plus 10,000 candy corn.

OH AND I FORGOT, LOL.

Be easier to make a legendary.. honestly why would anyone make these things, to sell? after all that effort to make it… really just for gold, you’d get more for the mats alone..

Only mmo ive ever played where event items are so hard to make your better off not doing the event. O.o

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I really wanted a mini Prince Edrick to commemorate this year’s Halloween event, But the cost is beyond absurd. One stack of candy corn would have been too easy, four stacks would have been acceptable, but 80 stacks is downright ridiculous. I’ve never collected 80 stacks of anything, even in GW1 (where I would fill my inventory to the brim with holiday goodies each year). Just the idea of needing 80 stacks of an item to trade for another item is so mind boggling, I can’t help but feel like GW2 was made in Korea.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

I can’t help but feel like GW2 was made in Korea.

Almost true. The parent company is Korean.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

When it gets this bad it usually means they have a very small development team working on content. They’re trying to stretch it out as long as possible.

For a game that was marketed to not be grindy like the others; this is actually quite hilarious.

eisberg.2379

20 of to get

OH AND I FORGOT, LOL.

ok? but that doesn’t answer my question at all. 10,000 of one item that is very easy to get is way different then 10,000 of one item that is not easy to get. I want to know how easy and common are the candy corns? All I know is I have 320 candy corns, and I spent something like 15 minutes in the labyrinth and that is all I have done related to the halloween event, and I didn’t even mine any of the candy corns. So I am asking in general how often these things actually drop. For 6.8 Gold you can buy 10,000, which is telling me these things actually drop really often.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

There’s probably a more efficient method instead of what I did, but I went straight to the labyrinth, spent 25 minutes (I checked my clock) there doing all events and collecting all 6 (or 7, I think?) nodes “playing the game”. And I also mined my home instance node (got 9, lucky me).
Also note that Viscount boss is a huge time waster which I encountered in the run.
All in all, I got a total of 121 pieces of candy in the labyrinth and including the home node, and opening those bags.

So, that’s 121/25 = 4.84 pieces per minute (yes, I’m aware I’m including the nodes).
10 000/4.84 = 2066.11 minutes = 34.4 hours

I dunno, I’d get bored to work(!) my butt off for that kind of reward, or find an alternative means (eg. gold farming →TP).

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Candy corn is also not the only material required for these things. You also need to gather up 10,000 of the yellow-quality materials, like the nougats and teeth. (This has been noted previously, but I think it deserves more attention than it’s been getting.)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Or you have years to farm it…it’s like the lucky title and 9 rings. It took years. So you save your candy corn and next year you get what you need, or the year after.

But that isn’t fun. Waiting isn’t fun. Farming for years isn’t fun. Grinding for years isn’t fun.

Why must everything have to be done now?

Why shouldn’t we be able to get the halloween items during THIS halloween?

Why should we have to wait til next year? What fun is that?

It isn’t.

Heck, the servers might not exist next year. And so instead of being able to enjoy those halloween items now, during this event, they’d never be able to be enjoyed.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Hey, thank you for inviting me to your party, I will bring your gift next year.

What the kitten is ANet thinking, and why on earth would anyone defend this?

The bagspace alone is prohibitive.

Vayne.8563

But that isn’t fun. Waiting isn’t fun. Farming for years isn’t fun. Grinding for years isn’t fun.

Why must everything have to be done now?

Why shouldn’t we be able to get the halloween items during THIS halloween?

Why should we have to wait til next year? What fun is that?

It isn’t.

Heck, the servers might not exist next year. And so instead of being able to enjoy those halloween items now, during this event, they’d never be able to be enjoyed.

I get some halloween items this year, I got some last year. Everyone wants new stuff every single event, and that’s just not reasonable.

Everyone who is loot-centered probably feels like you do. I’m sure glad my game isn’t centered around loot.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

20 of to get

OH AND I FORGOT, LOL.

ok? but that doesn’t answer my question at all. 10,000 of one item that is very easy to get is way different then 10,000 of one item that is not easy to get. I want to know how easy and common are the candy corns? All I know is I have 320 candy corns, and I spent something like 15 minutes in the labyrinth and that is all I have done related to the halloween event, and I didn’t even mine any of the candy corns. So I am asking in general how often these things actually drop. For 6.8 Gold you can buy 10,000, which is telling me these things actually drop really often.

If you can buy 10,000 candy corn for 6.8g, then I’m the king of Kryta.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Gene Archer.8560

Everyone wants new stuff every single event, and that’s just not reasonable.

I didn’t say anything about wanting new stuff every single event, so I don’t know why you even brought that up.

I’m not asking for new loot every year.

I’m just asking to be able to get the loot they happen to add during the event where they add it.

Is that really so wrong? Are you honestly going to tell me it’s wrong to want to be able to get stuff during the event where they add said stuff? Whether they add anything new or not?

Everyone who is loot-centered probably feels like you do. I’m sure glad my game isn’t centered around loot.

Well, in the case of holiday events, my game is centered around loot. Clearly in your eyes, that makes me an awful person. Otherwise you wouldn’t have bothered with such a snide quip. But I’ll humor you, anyway:

Halloween by it’s very nature is about the "phat lootz’! It’s about dressing up and going door to door to get candies and (in the case of mmos), tiny trinket toys and such!

Who would go trick or treating if at every door they were told “You don’t get anything this year, but wait til next year and you might just get something” ?

What would be fun about that?

Posted by: logosloki.3958

logosloki.3958

That would be a terrible idea. In order for the devs to do that, they would have to artificially inject gold in to the economy. That would be a sure way to screw up the in game economy very quickly and would not solve the problem.

Not necessarily. They can offset by buying the items with gold derived from permanently banned accounts. This has been done successfully on some games when the economy of the game threatened to go into recession. This is a little harder to do in Gw2 since each realm would have a segregated pool based on what realm the character was on at the time. This, funnily enough would also fix some of the problems that banned accounts cause to obtuse economies like the typical mmo has.

Vayne.8563

Everyone wants new stuff every single event, and that’s just not reasonable.

I didn’t say anything about wanting new stuff every single event, so I don’t know why you even brought that up.

I’m not asking for new loot every year.

I’m just asking to be able to get the loot they happen to add during the event where they add it.

Is that really so wrong? Are you honestly going to tell me it’s wrong to want to be able to get stuff during the event where they add said stuff? Whether they add anything new or not?

Well, in the case of holiday events, my game is centered around loot. Clearly in your eyes, that makes me an awful person. Otherwise you wouldn’t have bothered with such a snide quip. But I’ll humor you, anyway:

Halloween by it’s very nature is about the "phat lootz’! It’s about dressing up and going door to door to get candies and (in the case of mmos), tiny trinket toys and such!

Who would go trick or treating if at every door they were told “You don’t get anything this year, but wait til next year and you might just get something” ?

What would be fun about that?

Right, but if they bring out stuff this year, and everyone can get it, and then bring out nothing next year but the same stuff, you don’t think there’s been a kittenstorm about rehashed recycled stuff on the forums? Cause I do.

Gene Archer.8560

Right, but if they bring out stuff this year, and everyone can get it, and then bring out nothing next year but the same stuff, you don’t think there’s been a kittenstorm about rehashed recycled stuff on the forums? Cause I do.

There’s just as much of a kittenstorm going on about the things that they didn’t bring back this year. You may not believe this, but people do actually like rehashed content from time to time. Usually holidays like Halloween and Christmas in mmos are those times where rehashed stuff is accepted because along with the rehash, a couple new things are added each time.

And the players get all the new goodies during that event and then wait for the new goodies in the next one.

You said earlier that it’s unreasonable to expect new content every year, because it can’t be done.

I’ll remind you that Anet made the decision to put out bi-weekly content. They made this decision to pump out endless content at a cheetah’s pace. If they can’t handle the workload, then they need to cut back to a pace they can handle, rather than time gate the holiday prizes.

Because once again, waiting isn’t fun. Especially when it’s waiting a whole year for something that was added a year prior.

As an aside, I feel I have to ask: Is “to avoid a kittenstorm on the forums” really the best you can come up for why we should have to wait to get the rewards that were added in a previous iteration of an event? Because that’s not exactly a compelling reason.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Like a thread that’s already three pages in not even 24 hours :P?

But I digress. “Because there may be people that complain about it” isn’t too strong a point when we can nearly safely assume that tons of people will complain about anything – but I can definitely understand why people would complain about this.

Vayne.8563

There’s just as much of a kittenstorm going on about the things that they didn’t bring back this year. You may not believe this, but people do actually like rehashed content from time to time. Usually holidays like Halloween and Christmas in mmos are those times where rehashed stuff is accepted because along with the rehash, a couple new things are added each time.

And the players get all the new goodies during that event and then wait for the new goodies in the next one.

You said earlier that it’s unreasonable to expect new content every year, because it can’t be done.

I’ll remind you that Anet made the decision to put out bi-weekly content. They made this decision to pump out endless content at a cheetah’s pace. If they can’t handle the workload, then they need to cut back to a pace they can handle, rather than time gate the holiday prizes.

Because once again, waiting isn’t fun. Especially when it’s waiting a whole year for something that was added a year prior.

As an aside, I feel I have to ask: Is “to avoid a kittenstorm on the forums” really the best you can come up for why we should have to wait to get the rewards that were added in a previous iteration of an event? Because that’s not exactly a compelling reason.

Now this I can agree with. I think content is coming out too fast…even way too fast. It puts pressure on people who either feel they have to do stuff (of course they don’t) or they feel that if they don’t log on this miss stuff (which might cause them not to log in again).

Half the problems with this game is that Anet wants to keep concurrency as high as possible. And as long as that is a goal, we’re going to have things in the game that might not be best long term for the game.

Gene Archer.8560

Now this I can agree with. I think content is coming out too fast…even way too fast.

Definitely way too fast. Definitely in agreement with you there. I obviously can’t say with certainty due to my Magic 8 Ball being fickle at the best of times with its accuracy, but I think player burnout with the Living Story pace is going to be a real problem by this time next year at the very latest.

And while I’m happy we’re in agreement on something, I’m still uncertain as to why you disagree with being able to get everything released in a patch during that patch, at least in the case of holidays, since the subject at hand is Halloween and all.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What is the amount of time that defines a ‘casual player’?

4-5 hours in a weekend plus a few hours during the week seems about what I can do when work picks up. Is that casual or below casual?

There’s no “below casual”. Well, there is, we call them “inactives”. What you describes seem to me like the typical active casual playing times.

You have an entire month to collect those items.

It is flat out impossible to collect those (i mean nougats, fangs and skulls – candy is theoretically a borderline case, as it drops more often) by even most extensive farming. You have 28 days to farm 10k objects. Just do the rest of the math yoursef.

Why must everything have to be done now? What’s wrong with a long term goal….particualarly since there’s a candy corn node in my home instance now.

I specifically mentioned i was talking about nougats, fangs and skulls. So, what is your drop rate of those? Because somehow i think you don’t have any idea how many years it would take.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Vayne.8563

Now this I can agree with. I think content is coming out too fast…even way too fast.

Definitely way too fast. Definitely in agreement with you there. I obviously can’t say with certainty due to my Magic 8 Ball being fickle at the best of times with its accuracy, but I think player burnout with the Living Story pace is going to be a real problem by this time next year at the very latest.

And while I’m happy we’re in agreement on something, I’m still uncertain as to why you disagree with being able to get everything released in a patch during that patch, at least in the case of holidays, since the subject at hand is Halloween and all.

I’m not in agreement with it, because I don’t see it as necessary. It’s not that I can’t understand why you’d want that. I simply have different needs.

You’re not wrong to want that. But I’m not wrong not to, either. It’s a difference of opinion. I can see why you’d want it. It’s just not important to me.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It’s like saying it’ll take 100 years to build a car from their raw material.

You don’t need to own a cow if you want to drink milk.

Just go farm 60 gold and be done with it. Price will probably continue to drop too.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I’m not in agreement with it, because I don’t see it as necessary. It’s not that I can’t understand why you’d want that. I simply have different needs.

You’re not wrong to want that. But I’m not wrong not to, either. It’s a difference of opinion. I can see why you’d want it. It’s just not important to me.

That’s called bias, it would be unfair to say it’s reasonable just because it doesn’t affect you (when it affects them). It’s not quite as unreasonable for their bias of wanting the weapon to cause them to ask for easier acquisition since that doesn’t affect someone like you.

Personally it doesn’t affect me either since I could care less for any of the weapon (thank god) especially as an Engineer (why no pistols/rifles Anet?). If I did I would probably be mad too, cosmetics are HUGE to a lot of people.

Imagine if you had a specific look going for your main character and couldn’t find a weapon to fit it, then suddenly a holiday skin comes out that fits perfectly but has ludicrous requirements, that would be soul-crushing if you couldn’t get it.

Which is also ridiculous that a “holiday” cosmetic is harder to get than regular game cosmetics, and half as difficult to get as a legendary, that is just plain insanity to me. Holiday events in MMO’s have never used it’s content as a way to replace a games regular content update.

It would be like a hardcore WoW halloween raid being introduced that gave the best gear temporarily.

If Anet wants to make more money, why not just pump out a lot more cash shop holiday goodies for people to eat up? Then the actual IN GAME acquired things be more reasonable. All I can say is it’s plain lazy. That’s just my view on it.

Posted by: Unique.9351

Unique.9351

I remember a post by one of the dev saying that they didnt want gw2 to be a grinding game… Wonder what happened to that =/

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Running your daily circle for ori and wood. What is the purpose of running to those nodes. Because you are on the way to somewhere?

So you are telling me I am doing it wrong if I do not spend half an hour a day running around gathering stuff instead of playing the game?
Are you serious, you can not see the grind that is right in front of your eyes?

I never even bothered farming nodes. I get ancient wood and ori ores from doing dungeons and salvaging the gear I get.

Also, gathering stuff is a part of playing that game. You may not like gathering resources, I dont either, but just like some people like Harvest Moon and I think that entire franchise is like running chores, some people like gathering resources in games.

Grind is something every subjective. If you define grind as simply repeating content, then there’s no possible way MMOs won;t have grind because devs can’t poop out content faster than you can chew through. I define grind as doing the same thing over and over and over without having other alternatives or other things to do to spice up the process, and Ascended items certainly don’t fit that category. You get materials from all over the game, with alternative options for each type of material.

And GW2 isn’t a grinding game. Its a game with optional grinds, there’s a massive difference. You can go anywhere and do anything in PvE in Exotics (which are pretty much given to you), and not having Ascended items won’t get you stomped in WvW.

What a grinding game is is something like RuneScape, where not having the top tier of equipment means you’re barred from a lot of the content and you get stomped in PvP.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s like saying it’ll take 100 years to build a car from their raw material.

You don’t need to own a cow if you want to drink milk.

Just go farm 60 gold and be done with it. Price will probably continue to drop too.

You might want to look at the prices again. And at the mats for the recipe as well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Gene Archer.8560

You’re not wrong to want that. But I’m not wrong not to, either.

It’s a difference of opinion. I can see why you’d want it. It’s just not important to me.

Actually, in this case you kind of are wrong, and in fact aren’t making sense. You’re contradicting your own opinion.

You don’t view this change being asked for as neccessary. You say you have different needs, and that this change in question isn’t important to you.

But if it’s not important to you, and in fact doesn’t affect you in any way, then you have no reason to go against this change, much less disagree with it.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s fine that you don’t think such a change is necessary.

But you’ve done more than just state that you don’t find it necessary. You’ve tried to actively come up with arguments as to why such a change shouldn’t occur, beyond simply “I don’t find such a change necessary”. I mean, you cited a kittenstorm in the forums for kitten’s sake! You’re actively trying to impede this, rather than simply stating “I don’t find this change necessary”, and then being done with it.

TL;DR: You acting like such a change would affect you but stating that it wouldn’t. As such, I can only come to the conclusion that you were debating/arguing simply for the sake of it.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

GW2 must have the most self-entitled playerbase.
Reading through this topic is like reading 3 pages of complaints from an over-privileged, spoiled brat who is upset because his Christmas present wasn’t quite literally given to him on a silver platter.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Reading through this topic is like reading 3 pages of complaints from an over-privileged, spoiled brat who is upset because his Christmas present wasn’t quite literally given to him on a silver platter.

It shouldn’t be given on a silver plate but it shouldn’t be completely out of reach for them either.

A good example of ‘not on a silver plate’ is Ascended items. You don’t get given them and it takes a while to get them, but its not a completely insane grind that makes you go ‘screw this’, they are spread out across different content and there’s no RNG. Thats good MMO design, it keeps people playing and feeling like they’re progressing and getting somewhere.

The halloween stuff requires you to get 10k of a rare drop which is completely RNG drop from one single area in the game. Thats an insane grind and turns players off.

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

I agree, casual content SHOULDN’T have grinding reward

Sitael.4680

Manipulating the TP is one of the things the devs do on regular basis. They are watching the economy of the game and monitoring the TP too and they can act and do act if they think it is necessary.

Gene Archer.8560

Yes, how dare people not want to have to grind out several tens of thousands of rng items. How dare they want to be able to get something reasonably, rather than have that something be so out of reach that it may as well not exist.

I don’t think you for one second have any idea whatsoever what actually constitutes “being spoiled”, “entitlement”, or being “over privileged.”

But by all means, please do explain your reasoning.

No, seriously. Explain your reasoning.

Vayne.8563

You’re not wrong to want that. But I’m not wrong not to, either.

It’s a difference of opinion. I can see why you’d want it. It’s just not important to me.

Actually, in this case you kind of are wrong, and in fact aren’t making sense. You’re contradicting your own opinion.

You don’t view this change being asked for as neccessary. You say you have different needs, and that this change in question isn’t important to you.

But if it’s not important to you, and in fact doesn’t affect you in any way, then you have no reason to go against this change, much less disagree with it.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s fine that you don’t think such a change is necessary.

But you’ve done more than just state that you don’t find it necessary. You’ve tried to actively come up with arguments as to why such a change shouldn’t occur, beyond simply “I don’t find such a change necessary”. I mean, you cited a kittenstorm in the forums for kitten’s sake! You’re actively trying to impede this, rather than simply stating “I don’t find this change necessary”, and then being done with it.

TL;DR: You acting like such a change would affect you but stating that it wouldn’t. As such, I can only come to the conclusion that you were debating/arguing simply for the sake of it.

But it does affect the game. Making everything “easy to get” almost killed the game in the first place. I don’t think people realize that.

Something has to be hard to get, because some people need stuff to work for. The sticking point is there has to be enough cool stuff that’s not hard to work for too.

Gene Archer.8560

But it does affect the game. Making everything “easy to get” almost killed the game in the first place. I don’t think people realize that.

I think otherwise, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on that.

Something has to be hard to get, because some people need stuff to work for.

So make it things that aren’t holiday items.

It’s a holiday event. Hard shouldn’t even be a part of the vocabulary. That’s what updates like Tea Kettle and Twilight Whatchacallit are for.

Even then. There’s being hard to get. And then there’s being unreasonably out of reach. I’m sorry, but you’re crazy if you think tens of thousands of mats registers anywhere near reasonable.

You could easily lop a 0 off each requirement and it would still be a challenge to obtain. The number of zeroes we’re dealing with now is just excessive.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

1. How is making everything easier to get almost killed the game? Is this about people complaining “i have nothing to do”?

2. 10,000 hmm? How do you get 10000 of this stuff? I’m seriously curious. I dont really bother with it, but I want to check this because everyday, I dont think I get even near 100. its probably closer to 50 and even then, thats likely on days i really indulge onrelated event activities.. (most days i just do random dailies and run a few dungeons) If course I dont farm for this but hey thats why im asking. What sort of behaviour/playstyle can get this much?

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

And herein lies the problem. Nothing is “needed” per se, but there are things people want, and some things people want a lot.

Things aren’t implemented because you need them or I need them. They’re implemented for reasons. For example, keeping people playing the game is Anet’s reason for doing it.

See Anet created this game and thought this is a fun game, people will stay for the fun. But no amount of content is fun enough without new content to keep people logging in. Without people logging in, people say the game is dead and by word of mouth the game becomes dead.

So these not needed things to keep people playing are only not needed if you’re looking at the trees rather than the forest.

Does the game need to keep players logging in for the good of players who do like the game. I think the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

Sure some people will hate it and be lost along the way. That’s only natural. And those people will complain. That’s also natural and perfectly okay.

But is it needed. Unfortunately, it probably is.

No.

They could have focused on introducing extra skills, making more things a viable options (just how often do you see guards loaded up with spirit weapons, and engineers using the less popular kits?), fine-tuning balance, figuring out how to handle conditions properly, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

There are a TON of things Anet could have done to make people regain new interest in the game and keep them playing it, many of them objectively necessary for the quality of the game, but they chose the laziest way imaginable – the introduction of time gated, grindy, vertical progress that by your own words wasn’t even necessary.