New Player of GW2 (Help me :)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

Hi, my real name is William. I just started this game today. I don’t know much about this game, level 2 Engineer currently in Tarnished coast. I’m not sure where to go next, a bit lost from my main quest. is this suppose to happen?. Secondly, I have 2 pistols, but Only my right pistol is firing. How do i use both pistols at once?. Also, I saw youtube about abilities/skills you can choose on your own?, right now it automatically puts in my bar. ( I want to have Turrets ) Lastly, what do you guys recommend for beginner like me, could be anything or tips/advice. Ty in advance.

Previous Games,
League of Legends (on and off present)
Aika Online NA( shutdown/quit)
Soul of the Ultimate Nation (shutdown/quit)
Planetside 2 (semi-retired)
Blacklight Retribution (on and off)
Runescape ( 2005-2008 quit)
Raiderz Online NA (quit )
Team Fortress 2 ( retired )

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Just continue to play the game and read tutorials. Once you’re level 10 you will have a basic grasp of all the mechanics. If you have any questions then feel free to come back an post, but a lot of your questions can only really be answered by playing the game a little more. For now just:

• Read tutorial pop-ups
  • Have fun
  • Look for Heart-Quests and Events
  • Don’t fight enemies over your level
This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Firstly, what’s the future like?

Secondly, what pistol fires depends on what skill you’re using (So 1 – 3 is you’re mainhand [so the right] and 4 – 5 is your left hand [your left pistol]). It’s merely the animation, and there isn’t much you can do about that.

Third, you unlock Utilities at levels 5, 10 and 20. That’s where you select the turret skills, which are bought with Skill Points.

Finally, as for tips: Here’s a good list to start you off.

Happy hunting!

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

( Its Guild Wars 2 btw)

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You may find this helpful: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

WilliCalifornia.1837

ok ty Finn, how about the pistols? i have both equipped in my hands, but only my right pistol is firing, why my other pistol not working?. How do i pick my own skills and put it in my bar?.

WilliCalifornia.1837

did not expect these fast replies :o thanks guys

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Skills 1-5 are locked to a weapon. To switch out skills 1-5 you have to equip a different weapon. Once you reach level 6 or 7 ( don’t remember which) you will unlock additional skills you can equip on hotkeys 6-9. Those can be switched out any time.

No idea about the pistols.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As a level 2, you may not have unlocked all 5 skills associated with dual pistols, yet. As you continue to use your pistols, the skills will unlock.

Welcome to Tyria! =)

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Every type of weapon you use has to be “learned”, or unlocked. You do this by using it. You’ll notice the “skill” fills in as you kill things with that particular weapon. For instance, if you’ve only used pistols and unlocked all the things (a.k.a. skills) you can do with those, then equip a sword, you’re back to only being able to do skill 1, until you kill things with it many times and unlock all the skills for that particular weapon.

The skills on the other side of the red orb (your health pool indicator is red, the yellow bars on top of that indicate your ability to dodge, or sort of your instant energy), are slot skills that you unlock as you gain skill points. You need to go into your hero menu, go to the second tab down on the left, and find the skills on which you can “spend” your skill points.

I know it can be a lot to learn, but once you have it all down, you’ll be having a ton of fun in this game. Read the forum post from the link posted above (for new players). You’ll learn a ton. Also, keep asking questions. My advice is to learn how to use the trading post (TP) early on, or you’ll kick yourself later for “throwing away” profits. Good luck!!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Oh, and to use the new weapon skills you unlock, you must press the corresponding number for that skill. I.e. You can’t just press 1 and get all the skills. If you unlock skill 2, 3, 4, 5, you have to press those numbers on your keyboard. Not sure if you figured this out or not.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)