New content for people who dont buy HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jules.8951

jules.8951

Q:

Question is pretty straight forward. Is every upcoming Patch after the expansion release only for HoT-players or will there be living world updates like season 1 & 2 or SAB for those who just own the core game?

jules.8951

A:

To sum up what i understood reading all your answers, there is the statement on the HoT website:
“If you own the expansion, you’ll be able to simply log in to the game to gain free access to upcoming Living World releases!”
But so far no more clarification on whether “free access” implies there will be a way of getting other accessibility besides HoT purchase.

Living story season on the Mordremoth arc will be self-evidently combined with HoT, but the “global” festival updates and different content might(!) be released to core audience.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Probably expansion areas, except Holliday content and maybe special events.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Maybe season event like we see for Halloween for people that do not have HoT. Any future living story probably only for people with HoT. That make sense. Not make sense to give much future content to people not pay for it.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Just a flesh wound.3589

As far as I know, most games won’t update old areas with new content much. The majority of updates would be going to the new maps and the new content. From now on the vanilla maps probably won’t get more than the occasional update since the devs attention is on going outward towards the new areas.

ANet may give it to you.

jules.8951

Has there been any dev-statement according to this topic?

Qugi.2653

Has there been any dev-statement according to this topic?

I can not find forum quote but remember from interview and show about HoT said next part of story will be in Heart of Maguuma and that area is only part of HoT.

Read more here.

http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/maguuma/

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

counter question why should they give out new content to people who dont buy the expansion?
You dont continue to favor the game with cash by buying expansion so their development time shouldent be spent to give you content.

And I havent bought it either, so I dont expect content.

jules.8951

Storywise sure. My concern is more about different content further down the line, like the long awaited return of the SAB or the “re-release” of season 1, if those become also “locked” behind HoT.

Qugi.2653

Storywise sure. My concern is more about different content further down the line, like the long awaited return of the SAB or the “re-release” of season 1, if those become also “locked” behind HoT.

I will guess SAB if ever back will be for all player. I do not think season 1 will ever be back for any player. To late for that and to many complicate with it to bring back. If arena net find a way to bring season 1 back probably have to buy in gem store like season 2 if did not get it.

;)

jules.8951

counter question why should they give out new content to people who dont buy the expansion?
You dont continue to favor the game with cash by buying expansion so their development time shouldent be spent to give you content.

And I havent bought it either, so I dont expect content.

Don’t get me wrong, this is just a formal question about the current state of information. I’m not trying to justify any claim on content.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Something like SAB would be the special event that all can access. If they ever do get around to re-releasing LS1 I would expect it to be a series of lore telling instances accessible to all, but not playable content.

ANet may give it to you.

Linken.6345

Sab any of the seasional festivals like xmas, hallowen, chinese newyear, wvw tournaments, etc will be access to all.
New living story will not you need hot. (hopefully you will be able to unlock but not play without hot, but that have not been confirmed by a dev)

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

(hopefully you will be able to unlock but not play without hot, but that have not been confirmed by a dev)

The release page says:

“If you own the expansion, you’ll be able to simply log in to the game to gain free access to upcoming Living World releases!”

From a business point of view, it’s pretty safe to assume that you’ll need to own HoT in order to unlock the story for free. That’s the trick to their new model of giving away the past game for free.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Even if they allowed people to unlock the new Living Story without owning the expansion, they still would not be able to play it as the instances, as far as we know, are all inside the new maps. Maybe there will be individual stories sections in the old maps, but the bulk of the story from now on will be in expansion maps, as they tell the story of going to fight the dragon.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

Expect to see Anet deincentivize older content as newer content is released. Since GW2 is now free to play, there will be a built in corporate driven desire to make the free players spend money. So monsters in the standard areas will drop less treasure, areas won’t be updated or worked on, etc etc… The economy and drop rates will shift making the only decent areas to make gold or get materials will be in the paid expansion or living story areas.

It will also incentivize players to buy gems and convert them into gold to purchase decent materials from the TP.

It changes the focus on gameplay and development from exciting story and mechanics towards grinding.

As a free player, grinding or paying is required to even get the most basic of decent items.

For paid players, grinding is incentivized, since free to play players will pay higher gold amounts for materials paid players can get more easily.

All material and item prices go up dramatically. This leads to more required grinding, or paying for gems by all parties, paid players and free to play together.

This happens in every MMO. It’s the sad truth, that game design ideals often go out the window when money is on the line.

So the cmpany has silently changed their game ideals of

“Buy the game, play a quality release forever”

to

“Buy the game, experience quality gaming until the next expansion is announced. Then find your experience to be greatly nerfed unless you purchase the expansion.”

50 dollars every 2 years is equivalent to 2 dollars a month subscription from every player who likes the game.

Hidden subscription fees. Brilliant, yet very korean move Anet. (I’m allowed to make that observation, I am korean)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Odd, these very forums repeatedly claimed that the focus wasn’t on gameplay and development toward exciting story and mechanics because we didn’t have expansions (relying on the Gem Store, etc.) and now that we have expansion(s), it’s the same lament.

Again, what’s a Dev to do?

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

Expect to see Anet deincentivize older content as newer content is released. Since GW2 is now free to play, there will be a built in corporate driven desire to make the free players spend money. So monsters in the standard areas will drop less treasure, areas won’t be updated or worked on, etc etc… The economy and drop rates will shift making the only decent areas to make gold or get materials will be in the paid expansion or living story areas.

It will also incentivize players to buy gems and convert them into gold to purchase decent materials from the TP.

It changes the focus on gameplay and development from exciting story and mechanics towards grinding.

As a free player, grinding or paying is required to even get the most basic of decent items.

For paid players, grinding is incentivized, since free to play players will pay higher gold amounts for materials paid players can get more easily.

All material and item prices go up dramatically. This leads to more required grinding, or paying for gems by all parties, paid players and free to play together.

This happens in every MMO. It’s the sad truth, that game design ideals often go out the window when money is on the line.

to

“Buy the game, experience quality gaming until the next expansion is announced. Then find your experience to be greatly nerfed unless you purchase the expansion.”

50 dollars every 2 years is equivalent to 2 dollars a month subscription from every player who likes the game.

Hidden subscription fees. Brilliant, yet very korean move Anet. (I’m allowed to make that observation, I am korean)

So basically you expect ANET working for decades with all the expansion, content, lure, update patch for the original 60 USD, wait you paid nothing… and expect everything.

Yes if you haven’t paid a single cent for the original game, pay for the extension. Not to talk about if you buy the extension you will have the same rights like the players who not just paid for the extension but for the original game as well.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Odd, these very forums repeatedly claimed that the focus wasn’t on gameplay and development toward exciting story and mechanics because we didn’t have expansions (relying on the Gem Store, etc.) and now that we have expansion(s), it’s the same lament.

The people who said that before were incorrect. GW2 presented us with free content and free story updates at a frequent pace and only the people who wanted to pay paid. The people who complained about a lack of an expansion were in the wrong and unfortunately got their way so that now we do NOT get free content, we do NOT get free story updates, and now EVERYONE has to pay.

I have lots of negative opinions about the expansion people because they have ruined the only MMO I have ever enjoyed.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

to

So basically you expect ANET working for decades with all the expansion, content, lure, update patch for the original 60 USD, wait you paid nothing… and expect everything.

Yes if you haven’t paid a single cent for the original game, pay for the extension. Not to talk about if you buy the extension you will have the same rights like the players who not just paid for the extension but for the original game as well.

I have to agree with Gaborkaldy, to think that Anet can continue to develop a game for the original $60 and future sales of the game at reduced pricing is ridiculous. They do have a staff to pay continuously along with server fees and other cost associated with the game.

Lets be realistic the game was released in late August of 2012 making it 3 years old, if we turn that to a monthly payment that is practically $1.32 US a month. Being a Canadian would mean a conversion of $1.71 a month ( 1 large Timmy’s coffee ). 1 large coffee a month doesn’t seem like a bad deal to me for the continuous development of an MMO title.

Was Guild Wars Eye of the North not an expansion for the original guild wars? I am not a GW1 Vet so I had to wiki the information. By the negative reaction of some people in this thread it made me assume that expansions is a brand new idea to the guild wars franchise.

(edited by SelenaDread.2814)

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

They said there would be living story content.

So you’ll get new WvW stuff, new PvP mode, access to new gear stuff (through the TP), plenty of new guild content (just be in a guild with somebody who has HoT), and new festival content.

Plus they said they were tweaking the maps (and jumping puzzles?).

I think you’re getting a lot.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Linken.6345

Even if they allowed people to unlock the new Living Story without owning the expansion, they still would not be able to play it as the instances, as far as we know, are all inside the new maps. Maybe there will be individual stories sections in the old maps, but the bulk of the story from now on will be in expansion maps, as they tell the story of going to fight the dragon.

I wouldent expect to be able to play it but it removes a wall that will forever be there in my consideration for buying expansion down the line or the next one.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

They said there would be living story content.

So you’ll get new WvW stuff, new PvP mode, access to new gear stuff (through the TP), plenty of new guild content (just be in a guild with somebody who has HoT), and new festival content.

Plus they said they were tweaking the maps (and jumping puzzles?).

I think you’re getting a lot.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

It says "no Heart of Thorns Maps & Content " for both f2p and gw2 base game owners.

Are you sure about it?

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldent expect to be able to play it but it removes a wall that will forever be there in my consideration for buying expansion down the line or the next one.

I agree that if you buy the expansion it should automatically unlock the Living Story. It’s a bit much for people later on to buy the expansion where the Living Story is located and then also have to buy the Living Story. The two should be combined.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

yawn

Leechers get new masteries and character and skill changes associated with HoT

Updated LA and the latest QoL class patches would have nevered happened if it wasn’t for HoT. MMO 101 but I keep forgetting this is the first MMO for most people so there a little slow on how the genre works and have that internet everything my way or ima sit and QQ for days on end till people bottle feed me attention mentality. Not saying in this post but I tend to see that mentality a lot more in this game than others. Don’t like what there serving then go to a different restaurant it’s called the basics of a capitalistic society.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Question is pretty straight forward. Is every upcoming Patch after the expansion release only for HoT-players or will there be living world updates like season 1 & 2 or SAB for those who just own the core game?

If the living world updates take place in the jungle then owners of the original game won’t be able to participate. Once we beat Mordy (if we don’t do that in HoT) and it’s time to go for the next Dragon, we will probably see a build up for that Dragon in old zones, for example when we go for Jormag, Shiverpeak areas will probably be updated prior to expansion release, or new zones will be added, like Silverwastes/Dry Top and they’ll be open for core owners too.

Holidays shouldn’t require HoT to play. One the same day HoT launches, Mad King Thorn will be back with loads of things to do, and those don’t require HoT. Wintersday will be the same in December, and so will Dragon Bash/Dragon Festival. SAB, if/when it comes back, has nothing to do with HoT as well, so it should be available for everyone.

SelenaDread.2814

yawn

Leechers get new masteries and character and skill changes associated with HoT

Updated LA and the latest QoL class patches would have nevered happened if it wasn’t for HoT. MMO 101 but I keep forgetting this is the first MMO for most people so there a little slow on how the genre works and have that internet everything my way or ima sit and QQ for days on end till people bottle feed me attention mentality. Not saying in this post but I tend to see that mentality a lot more in this game than others. Don’t like what there serving then go to a different restaurant it’s called the basics of a capitalistic society.

From what I read on account types masteries are only for HoT.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s a bit much for people later on to buy the expansion where the Living Story is located and then also have to buy the Living Story.

Like the heroic edition, they can just repackage HoT to include the first season after it’s complete.

How they’re selling the living story is how their new model works. Regardless of when you buy the expansion, you’re going to end up paying roughly full price. Next expansion for example, although you’ll get HoT for free, you’ll be missing 2-3 seasons worth of episodes which is around $30 to $50 in gems.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why should they?

ANet is nerfing old content rewards so that you’ll buy HoT.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Why should they?

No they aren’t…

They are moving them around as they never wanted dungeons to be the focus of end game content in the first place.

Fractals are still core game.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The people who said that before were incorrect. GW2 presented us with free content and free story updates at a frequent pace and only the people who wanted to pay paid. The people who complained about a lack of an expansion were in the wrong and unfortunately got their way so that now we do NOT get free content, we do NOT get free story updates, and now EVERYONE has to pay.

I have lots of negative opinions about the expansion people because they have ruined the only MMO I have ever enjoyed.

I’m sure that the near-constant demands for an expansion had a lot to do with the timing of Anet’s decision to create one. However, it may have been inevitable anyway. Ongoing gem revenue was still healthy, but was trending down from quarter to quarter. B2P games in general only offer new content with a price tag. I believe the combination of the 3 factors pushed the game towards needing a periodic buy-in.

Derenek.8931

to

lol, obviously I don’t believe that since I’ve bought every game they have ever made. I am saying that making the previous games generate less value in order to pressure us into buying more cash store stuff is a sad trend to see. Anet should rely on the quality of their new release to generate revenue. That’s the only real path for long term success. Nerfing rewards for free players is one thing, but paid players should get some respect from the company and get some accomodation that makes those nerfs less applicable to them.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why should they?

No they aren’t…

They are moving them around as they never wanted dungeons to be the focus of end game content in the first place.

Fractals are still core game.

Which requires agony infusion. Fractal mastery is HoT feature.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

SelenaDread.2814

to

lol, obviously I don’t believe that since I’ve bought every game they have ever made. I am saying that making the previous games generate less value in order to pressure us into buying more cash store stuff is a sad trend to see. Anet should rely on the quality of their new release to generate revenue. That’s the only real path for long term success. Nerfing rewards for free players is one thing, but paid players should get some respect from the company and get some accomodation that makes those nerfs less applicable to them.

What? you feel pressured to buy cosmetic or convenience items because the previous games generate less value?….

Derenek.8931

to

What? you feel pressured to buy cosmetic or convenience items because the previous games generate less value?….

Materials and gold found in dungeons generally arent used to craft gem store items… Actually, it might be impossible.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The only thing I’ve ever purchased with my Gold was Gem Store items. It’s really great of ArenaNet to offer us a way to acquire these items without ever having to give them a penny (over the cost of the games/expansions), if we don’t feel the need or desire.

Now, in the Guild Wars set of games, I only acquired items from the Shop with cash, as I had no choice.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

to

You dropped your foil hat. Drops will not be nurfed in the core game. They do that and who is going to level an alt, map the core maps. They have added new region/area specific map completion drops, and other things in the core maps to help make getting the mats for legendary/rare items a little easier. Try reading a news/blog post once in awhile.

Alot of new content will be “locked” behind HoT. But there are alot of new things coming to the core game. They have made a lot of thing repeatable in the core game, like hearts, and added leader boards to them as well as JP’s. You’ll get bonus rewards if you can do them as a certain speed, or finish above a certain place, they have not stated what there’s are yet. But if I had to guess, it would be say coin, xp and Karma from hearts, or maybe a little rewards box with mats or something. JP’s will probably be a small bonus loot chest. Probably like the ones we get from daily world.boss kills.

So if anything, drops will be getting better in the core game.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

SelenaDread.2814

to

Materials and gold found in dungeons generally arent used to craft gem store items… Actually, it might be impossible.

Actually they are when you can sell those materials and convert the gold into gems. So I don’t see how that is an impossible feat.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

to

You dropped your foil hat. Drops will not be nurfed in the core game. They do that and who is going to level an alt, map the core maps. They have added new region/area specific map completion drops, and other things in the core maps to help make getting the mats for legendary/rare items a little easier. Try reading a news/blog post once in awhile.

Alot of new content will be “locked” behind HoT. But there are alot of new things coming to the core game. They have made a lot of thing repeatable in the core game, like hearts, and added leader boards to them as well as JP’s. You’ll get bonus rewards if you can do them as a certain speed, or finish above a certain place, they have not stated what there’s are yet. But if I had to guess, it would be say coin, xp and Karma from hearts, or maybe a little rewards box with mats or something. JP’s will probably be a small bonus loot chest. Probably like the ones we get from daily world.boss kills.

You may be confusing the new Map Rewards with Adventures in Heart of Maguuma. Leaderboards and such are for Adventures only. No repeatable hearts, and, if it stays the same as in the betas, the Bonus Map Rewards just appear in your loot-attained column on the lower right-side of the screen when doing events, JPs, mini-dungeons, etc. I’m not sure Renown Hearts even count toward Bonus Map Rewards, though they may.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I’m sure that the near-constant demands for an expansion had a lot to do with the timing of Anet’s decision to create one. However, it may have been inevitable anyway. Ongoing gem revenue was still healthy, but was trending down from quarter to quarter. B2P games in general only offer new content with a price tag. I believe the combination of the 3 factors pushed the game towards needing a periodic buy-in.

Also worth noting is that the people who wanted an expansion were tired of tiny scraps of content from the living story and wanted something massive, more akin to Factions or Nightfall in scope and scale. Anet is either unwilling or unable to provide that level of content, so everyone loses.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

All their attention should be on HoT for a while but there would not be any disadvantage or loss of revenue if the dev team got assigned to adding more stuffs to the beginner zones. I mean we all keep starting new characters. At least I do. HoT is a high level (80+) zone?

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

to

You may be confusing the new Map Rewards with Adventures in Heart of Maguuma. Leaderboards and such are for Adventures only. No repeatable hearts, and, if it stays the same as in the betas, the Bonus Map Rewards just appear in your loot-attained column on the lower right-side of the screen when doing events, JPs, mini-dungeons, etc. I’m not sure Renown Hearts even count toward Bonus Map Rewards, though they may.

No I’m not. There was a blog post a while back.and a twitch stream a few months back where CJ said as much. So no I’m.not confused.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Just a flesh wound.3589

to

No I’m not. There was a blog post a while back.and a twitch stream a few months back where CJ said as much. So no I’m.not confused.

I don’t recall seeing a blog post about repeatable Hearts and I can’t find any mention of it when I search. Can you link it?

ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

to

Well, here’s the News Blog that explains the new Bonus Map Rewards:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

Map Bonuses

While the update to precursor acquisition makes for a huge change in the way we craft legendary weapons, our new Map Bonuses system will also make acquiring the materials you need a more directed activity. With Heart of Thorns, most explorable maps will have an associated set of bonus rewards that rotate on a regular basis. Starter maps will not be included in order to preserve the new-player experience. By completing events, jumping puzzles, and mini-dungeons in a map, you’ll be periodically awarded with one of its associated bonuses in addition to the normal rewards. For most maps, the bonus reward will be crafting materials. For instance, playing in Cursed Shore could reward you with ancient bones, charged cores, charged lodestones, or giant eyes during one rotation, and powerful venom sacs, glacial cores, glacial lodestones, or globs of ectoplasm during another rotation.

Maps like the Silverwastes or Dry Top that have a dedicated currency will work a little differently. For these maps, bandit crests and geodes have been something of a test for this concept, where you’re rewarded with these currencies through a bouncy chest for playing on the map. The Map Bonuses system is a more streamlined experience, and with Heart of Thorns, these maps will be updated to always award currencies through the Map Bonuses system. Moving forward, any map with a similar currency will also work within the Map Bonuses system.

The goals of this system are to provide ways for players to target the materials they need, let players know exactly where to obtain those materials, and help all explorable maps always feel like relevant and rewarding places to play.

Here’s the News Blog on Adventures:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/adventuring-forth/

They do speak about how content was previously designed for Core Tyria in this Blog; perhaps that is where it could be confusing.

and here:

http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/maguuma

As you move through the jungle, you’ll come across adventures—repeatable, on-demand content challenges in the open world that can be anything from completing a jumping puzzle to defeating a boss in an arena. Try your hand at these adventures in order to earn rewards and compete with your friends and fellow guild members on adventure leaderboards.