New possibilities now that we have a wardrobe

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MaxTNT.3154

MaxTNT.3154

Now that we’ve all experienced the new wardrobe, I’d like to make a request, suggestion about it.

Why not make all(or most, some exclusives are fine ofcourse) types of armor available to every profession. In the end it is just an armorskin in the same manner that you can already wear a fuzzy bear hat or even hide your whole gearset with an ‘Outfit’.
Aren’t we past the rigid structure of Light, Medium and Heavy armor of the old school RPG days?

For example, my Guardian is primarily focussed on burning damage and is much more a mage/wizard/sorcerer(or whatever you want to call it) then an ironclad frontline trooper. Having her running around in ‘light’ armor(wardrobe skin only ofcourse…don’t want to mess with the existing game balance) which is tuned much more towards magic users, would make sense.
Or in a similar manner, a double dagger Elementalist might opt to go for a more rogue/thief/assassin like look instead of being a mage.

And if the argument of identification is an issue, then I would say that you can identify a profession much easier by the skills and color of them then by looking at the armor.

Let me know what you think…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This has been requested many times, and the answer is they didn’t code the rigs for the armor to work together between weights. They’d have to do a ground up redesign. It’s not just “clipping” — it’s out of control textures and dye colors completely wrecking the appearance of the armor.

So unless you want random patches of fuzzy pink leather sitting across your shiny plate chest, this isn’t something you would enjoy as it would actually appear in game.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Here he is talking about costumes but he talks a little about armor also.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/21k4j8/curtis_johnson_on_the_town_clothes_issue/
“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future. Outfits give us a way to create highly stylized looks that aren’t constrained to armor slots or weight class".

He is saying the way armor is set up, they can’t be mixed across classes. I would also assume, even though he didn’t say it here, that they can’t be worn on another class at all, not just mixed.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I think there’s far more problems I’d rather Anet work on then making it so that people can use skins for a different armor class. It would also wreck havoc in WvW and pvp, cause then you couldn’t tell at a glance what armor class they were. You see a norn in light armor, and boom, hammer stun because they’re a warrior.

Posted by: MaxTNT.3154

MaxTNT.3154

Ah yes, good point. the mixing and matching had not crossed my mind, yet it is such an obvious issue when you allow for multiple armor classes to be used. Silly me.
Workaround could be a choice(drop-down menu?). If you pick ‘light’, then you can only pick light armor skins for your gear. Switching it out to the ‘medium’ catagory will give you access to those, but once again lock ‘light’.

The WvW and PvP issue is not something I can really associate with, being pretty much a PvE purist. However I would say it adds a new level of challange to the mix. If an enemy player can disguise himself cleverly, he’ll gain an advantage over an assuming player. (Isn’t it also already kind of the case with dyes? A player can dye him/herself pink/purple an then suddenly go into deathshroud. An assuming player would mistake the enemy for a Mesmer and prepare/react accordingly only to be surprised by the Necromancer he is has to adapt to and deal with now)
Finding new and clever ways to present yourself and constantly seeking new ways to surprise your opponent makes competitive play fun, right?

Donari.5237

I think there’s far more problems I’d rather Anet work on then making it so that people can use skins for a different armor class. It would also wreck havoc in WvW and pvp, cause then you couldn’t tell at a glance what armor class they were. You see a norn in light armor, and boom, hammer stun because they’re a warrior.

This particular rationale is frequently brought up but simply no longer applies thanks to outfits. Unless outfits are disabled in sPvP and WvW? I don’t know, I’ve not gone in those areas wearing an outfit. If they’re not, then good luck figuring out if that norn in the Ancestral Outfit is light, medium, or heavy before that hammer stun gets you.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

This particular rationale is frequently brought up but simply no longer applies thanks to outfits. Unless outfits are disabled in sPvP and WvW? I don’t know, I’ve not gone in those areas wearing an outfit. If they’re not, then good luck figuring out if that norn in the Ancestral Outfit is light, medium, or heavy before that hammer stun gets you.

Perhaps that’s an argument to ban outfits in wvw/pvp, and not to allow mixing and matching armor classes?

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

considering the new feature for “standard enemy models” for PvP…. outfits isn’t an issue in PvP anymore…

– The Baconnaire

Donari.5237

Another fine point. So once again, it’s not a philosophical reason that prevents them letting any profession wear any weight, it’s technical limitations that they cannot feasibly get past.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The problem is outfits still suck x:

And are worse than the former.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

technically that “cant tell stuff apart” doesnt fly anymore with the upcoming update…you can set all enemy players to “standart outfits” for each class\race\gender… so yea. Thats my two cents to that

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You know, after looking at some NPCs I realize the biggest problem with the rigging and UV maps of armor is probably limited to the chest and leg pieces; helmets, shoulders, gloves, and boots don’t seem to be affected by this since I occasionally see NPCs with light armor but heavy gauntlets (off the top of my head one such example is in the Ascalonian fractal, where one of the Charr models you become is wearing a light chest piece with primeval heavy gauntlets).

So why not make everything except chest and leg armor cross-weight, then let the player select what kind of armor weight they would like the wear? That way you can have a soldier select medium armor for the coats and pants and mix in light/medium/heavy helmets/shoulders/gloves/boots; you won’t be able to mix weights for chests and legs, but it’s still an improvement over fixed weight classes.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

You can’t tell that warrior is a warrior because of their hammer and also the icon next to their name?

Not to mention standard models will be coming to the PvP environment.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

It’s not just “clipping” — it’s out of control textures and dye colors completely wrecking the appearance of the armor.

So unless you want random patches of fuzzy pink leather sitting across your shiny plate chest, this isn’t something you would enjoy as it would actually appear in game.

Right now, with the “correct” pieces, I can already get that. If at least they were consistent and actually didn’t have such major problems in the same weigh class, I wouldn’t kitten . But that’s not the case.

And Anet has locked themselves but doing huge kitten skirts for light and trechcoats galore for medium. So mixing light leggings with medium tops will generally create clipping, but light top and medium leggings won’t have any kind of problem.
If anyone remembers back when we could preview armor and mix them regardless of weigh, you’d remember that some mix matching had so no problems at all.

Outfits.

Which are their solution it seems. Except that it misses the point. They could release 3 times the same outfit for each weigh class with actually separate pieces or make them like the hellfire/radiant pieces.
But that would mean more work, more time, less production, less gems.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i flat out hate this idea, i already get mad at anet when they release a peice of armor that is usable by any class, it destroys the distinctness of each professions looks

Basaltface.2786

i flat out hate this idea, i already get mad at anet when they release a peice of armor that is usable by any class, it destroys the distinctness of each professions looks

…as you could tell em apart if they dont attack you (or anything) without putting your cursor on them. Only time you actually can is if they happen to use the only weapon(s) the other two (or one) classes in their weight class cant. If you put a double pistol engineer besides a double pistol thief you dont know what is what without looking for example. Or staff mesmer and staff ele, dagger ele and dagger necro. You can carry a skull staff as ele and a scythe as mesmer if you want or a burning armor as necro or whatever…like you can wear the magitech as ranger or the guardian starter pieces as warrior. The distinct look does not come with the class.. it comes with people making it look that way cause they either want it or not. All you really can tell apart now (without looking at the weapons and maybe a present pet) is the weight class Thats atleast my 2 cents to that.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

To be honest I actually think that armor should be determined by a combination of traits and class (so a Warrior/Guardian starts with the ability to wear Medium armor, but if they have at least 2 points in the Toughness line they’ll be wearing Heavy armor, while an Elementalist/Necromancer/Mesmer unlocks Medium armor at Master and Heavy armor at Grandmaster), so your appearance doesn’t reflect how you dish out the pain, but rather how you take it.

But that doesn’t really help visual flexibility, introduces an unnecessary amount of complexity (particularly with builds and armor), and is a boat that sailed long before GW2 was launched.

Duke Nukem.6783

…as you could tell em apart if they dont attack you (or anything) without putting your cursor on them. Only time you actually can is if they happen to use the only weapon(s) the other two (or one) classes in their weight class cant. If you put a double pistol engineer besides a double pistol thief you dont know what is what without looking for example. Or staff mesmer and staff ele, dagger ele and dagger necro. You can carry a skull staff as ele and a scythe as mesmer if you want or a burning armor as necro or whatever…like you can wear the magitech as ranger or the guardian starter pieces as warrior. The distinct look does not come with the class.. it comes with people making it look that way cause they either want it or not. All you really can tell apart now (without looking at the weapons and maybe a present pet) is the weight class Thats atleast my 2 cents to that.

the engineer has a backpack and nobody makes a theif look like an engineer, they have specific features they add to one that they would not add to another

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

First, you can’t tell what class someone is from their armour. You can only narrow it down to 3 (or 2, in the case of heavies). Second, once they use any skills, it becomes obvious anyway. Third, you only need to target them to see what class they are from the handy little icon that tells you what class they are.

Duke Nukem.6783

First, you can’t tell what class someone is from their armour. You can only narrow it down to 3 (or 2, in the case of heavies). Second, once they use any skills, it becomes obvious anyway. Third, you only need to target them to see what class they are from the handy little icon that tells you what class they are.

you just dont understand the aesthetic appeal of not tossing everything into a melting pot…..id quit the game if they did this

Basaltface.2786

the engineer has a backpack and nobody makes a theif look like an engineer, they have specific features they add to one that they would not add to another

You would be surprised man. Put an engi and a thief in a temple armor and they totally look the same for example. IMO its your business how your char looks, and that said backpack of the engi class got a over 1000 reply strong backlash topic cause it ruins the visuals for many ppl. Some engi might dig that very popular “celestial” look while the other one likes his burning COF armor..and the 3rd might look like he\she escaped from a steampunk convention while the next looks like a “typical” asura. And like i said before as long as the classes dont attack and dont use weapons other classes in their weight class cant use it happens a lot that they look alike. I also cant even count how many times i ran across a magitech using ranger or an ele wearing the trickster armor or a mesmer using these burning swords. Just a matter of taste, to each its own. I personally prefer to adjust the visuals reflecting the class i play, but that doesnt mean other ppl need or should do the same. Something i hope that will happen someday is ascended armors that visually represent professions though (but craft and wearable by all in the weight class obviosly) and more class specific (designed) armors you might obtain with the LS or char story…or gem store whatever.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Here he is talking about costumes but he talks a little about armor also.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/21k4j8/curtis_johnson_on_the_town_clothes_issue/
“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future. Outfits give us a way to create highly stylized looks that aren’t constrained to armor slots or weight class".

He is saying the way armor is set up, they can’t be mixed across classes. I would also assume, even though he didn’t say it here, that they can’t be worn on another class at all, not just mixed.

So it’s a failure of not future-proofing then. That’s kind of a sad conclusion to this line of thought.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

As a sort of compromise: why not make it so, once you’ve unlocked all 6 pieces of an armour set, that set is then available as an outfit for your other armour classes.