No Epic Feeling in Living Story

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Ok, this might only be me, but as a Norn, I was waiting one month to see, what my fellow Norns are running away from.
They did not talk, and I thought – the horrors might have been to terrible to describe.

Now I have realized that my fellow Norns have been silent out of shame. Being defeated by some lousy Dredge and Kittens? What has become of our once proud race…

There is no epicness in this story, it is slow, tedious and at least uninspired. We have kicked Dredges and Charrs backs a hundred times already, and now they are a threat?

I was waiting for some combined forces of Destroyers and Svanir, that would have been still ok, but what we got is just a failure in story telling. Maybe it is a joke by ANet, but well, I couldn’t laugh…

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

Ya this story is so slow that I didnt even bother doing it and I most likely never will. Same thing with the Wintersday, it was just so boring.

Also agree it should have been a new dragon!

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Kaiyanwan.8521

Hey, I have defeated Zhaitan and cleansed Orr.
But the real challenge is to kick some Dredges between the legs. Ah, and kittens, there are never enough kittens.

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

Dredge and Kittens!

Who could foresee such betrayal from the proud kitten race?!! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Sadly Live story looks like something unfinished. With not enough effort put in it. :/

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

I have spent 1100hrs in this game and nothing has been epic yet.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It would be next to impossible to deliver epic feeling in an event produced on a monthly basis in a video game. That monthly events are put forward as a value proposition simply baffles me.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

The only interesting thing I’ve discovered so far is one of the refugee’s stories in LA mention wanting to populate Southsun Cove...which is a plausible change imo.

I agree its slow. But its something new every month and very subtle. Almost too subtle. But its something you don’t get in most MMOs.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

The only interesting thing I’ve discovered so far is one of the refugee’s stories in LA mention wanting to populate Southsun Cove...which is a plausible change imo.

I’m pretty sure there was an NPC standing around LA during Lost Shores who said the same thing.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’m pretty sure there was an NPC standing around LA during Lost Shores who said the same thing.

Hmm interesting. Been a while so don’t recall anything about it. But I don’t doubt it.

Was the guy you give the goblet to if anyone is interested in reading it.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

Running around pressing CTRL & killing 150 indruders wasn’t too epic. Still no feeling of a living world… maybe it would help, if there would be a communitygoal instead(or additional)- like killing xxx-thousand intrudors together, and when your server hits the mark, the next step of the event starts. At least then I would have the feeling, that my acting changes the world…

(edited by CeNedro.7560)

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

Sounds like HB in L2 lol – no thx.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I agree its slow. But its something new every month and very subtle. Almost too subtle. But its something you don’t get in most MMOs.

thay want to make it weekly

Hopefully we get more out of it this mounth than we did last mounth

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

I think the most important talk is the one with the Grawl Chieftain in LA.
I wouldn’t be much surprised if Karkaland’s event is somehow connected to the living story we are currently seeing.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Personally I liked the first few events a lot better because there were one time only events. Having tons of players around for something is what adds a lot to the epicness for me even if they event / living story / quest whatever in itself is sort of meh.
But unfortunately there were too many players whining about not being able to get online on that hour so that approach seems off the table or could return only if they make it instanced.
For now it seems we have to make due with activities that are designed so that anybody can do it at any time which makes things feel less epic even if there’s some scaling in place.
I know this shouldn’t necesarily affect the quality / epic feel of the story itself but I’m more a man of action than of words when it comes to gaming.

Kaiyanwan.8521

But a meh story is just not really enough for a game that was built (promoted) around a personal story. This is my story! Ah kitten, let’s go back to grind mode.

Still cannot see, how this update combined with next month will be “the conent worth an expansion”… For now, it has to be the worst story expansion ever since the invention of asia grinders…

Posted by: Circling Skies.1872

Circling Skies.1872

I think the Living Story is a let down. Part 2 was not fun, just annoying. The portals only showing up in one place per map and everyone just standing around camping them was tedious and uneventful. This should have been one part that scaled with the number of players present. The mobs died waaaay to quickly. No challenge at all. Should have had some Vets or Champs pop out at the end. Very very boring.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Well – it’s a tad slow going, but I don’t have a problem with Dredge and Flame Legion being the “minions” or the first thing we see. Because the question remains, why are they all over sudden so numerous, how come they work together, there has to be a “brain” behind all of that.

The use of portals … one the one hand is was a clear indication without asking in chat or looking it up what’s going to happen. On the other hand I think it’s a tad overused by now – I’d rather see them coming, could be out of a new cave or the like, being invincible until they get where you should fight them.

10% progress for one of the events, part of the balancing, people have complained they were done too fast.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

But a meh story is just not really enough for a game that was built (promoted) around a personal story. This is my story! Ah kitten, let’s go back to grind mode.

Still cannot see, how this update combined with next month will be “the conent worth an expansion”… For now, it has to be the worst story expansion ever since the invention of asia grinders…

You want a game built around a Personal Story? Go check out SWTOR the story is pretty kitten good and puts GW2’s story to utter shame and SWTOR wasnt even billed as a “personal” story.. I can’t even make my character talk the way I want him to talk as he already has a personality regardless of what I choose….

And yes this Living Story is quite lame so far and is nowhere near epic which is sad…. Good thing I like the cosmetic customization and combat or I would have left after the Lost Shores update.

Posted by: Gothdir.8953

Gothdir.8953

The basic idea of having a changing world is good but the way it is presented is just terribly boring.

I know its to late for saying this but a normal quest line (like in other mmos, you know ! above head) could have presented the changes way better.

There are 1 or 2 NPCs telling me 2 sentences about whats going on and then i stand at a fix point and grind my av…this event makes again painfully clear that gw 2 is more grind then most other mmos.

Khazâd ai-mênu!

DandySlayer.7019

The basic idea of having a changing world is good but the way it is presented is just terribly boring.

I know its to late for saying this but a normal quest line (like in other mmos, you know ! above head) could have presented the changes way better.

There are 1 or 2 NPCs telling me 2 sentences about whats going on and then i stand at a fix point and grind my av…this event makes again painfully clear that gw 2 is more grind then most other mmos.

That’s exactly how I feel about this!

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Lol. Complaining about free content that you don’t even have to do. These forums just keep on getting better.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

The sheer amount of whine on the forum is bad enough.. but whining about this story content? This stuff harks back to the days of ultima online (before renaissance) and MUDS before that, it is an absolute joy to see this sort of delivered story content return in a modern game..

As for it not being ‘exciting’ .. do you really want Dragons every month? It would get stale.

The world they created is amazing.. it makes complete sense to dig a little deeper into the conflicts all these different factions/races have with each other.. make it feel like the world is changing over time, the world we all live in changes all the time too.. time takes it’s course.

People playing these kinds of games these days seem to want action/rewards/action/excitement every 10 minutes.. it’s an MMO for kittens sake.. it’s a slow burning experience.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

You HAVE to do the story. else why are you playing?

Posted by: Avatar.1923

its hard to do a living story that all players from all levels can do.

the next epicness will be the expension.

:)

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

I think the Living Story is a let down. Part 2 was not fun, just annoying. The portals only showing up in one place per map and everyone just standing around camping them was tedious and uneventful. This should have been one part that scaled with the number of players present. The mobs died waaaay to quickly. No challenge at all. Should have had some Vets or Champs pop out at the end. Very very boring.

There were several spots on each map(I found 3 on wayfarer foothills and 2 on diessa). Also vets were out there- but ye, they died way too quickly and it was more killstealing than a battle.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

There is no epicness in this story, it is slow, tedious and at least uninspired.

“Epic” and it’s derivatives are some of the most overused terms of our generation.

People need to stop expecting every single new update/content/story to be the biggest thing that ever was and will ever be.. and that falling short of such ridiculous expectations is a sign of complete failure.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Salacious.7358

its hard to do a living story that all players from all levels can do.

the next epicness will be the expension.

:)

your trying to single out the lower levels – god your a bigot

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Lol. Complaining about free content that you don’t even have to do. These forums just keep on getting better.

If everyone followed that logic they would just leave and you can enjoy your empty game.

Seeing as how there’s nothing to do post 80 BUT this new content (excluding legendaries and 10 min JPs) you can quite frankly keep your mouth shut and let people vent their opinions, however positive or negative they may be.

Cuz again, if everyone thought as black and white as your comment, this game would empty out ROLL quick.

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

I’d love to see more actual story to these, but with how the personal story was done, I don’t hold my breath.

DandySlayer.7019

I’d love to see more actual story to these, but with how the personal story was done, I don’t hold my breath.

You and me both.

Salacious.7358

theres no lore, no story, no real reason for the fl and the dredge o be doing this….this whole extra content reminds me of content at the end of GW

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Did anything happen?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Gothdir.8953

People playing these kinds of games these days seem to want action/rewards/action/excitement every 10 minutes.. it’s an MMO for kittens sake.. it’s a slow burning experience.

Well action or a decent presentation is the least what you can expect from mmos these days. But here in this living story is none. The story is presented poorly and because of that total anti climax.

And the events are the most standart events you could expect from this game. Spawn some enemys and nuke them asap.

When the first part launched i thought the refugees would be an event where i can follow and protect them and maybe they will halt at some point and a script starts where the npcs tell me a little more about the “living” story. It didnt happen.

I thought ok this is the first part lets wait how this will play out, now the second part launched and they basicly added a nuke`em all event and nothing more.

If GW2 had a classic quest design in !addition! to the event and heart system, they could have added quests where you have to gather informations, to dig in deeper in the story. But simply due to that design flaw its not possible to do this it seems.

I know i hate to say that but when Fireland-raid launched for WoW and you did the quest chain about Thrall, it gave you a better feeling of a changing world.

Just adding a standart event and 2 lines for an npc is just weak.

Khazâd ai-mênu!

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

I think you are missing the point of what Anet are trying to do.. either that or remembering wow with rose tinted shades.

While that firelands quest line was fun and well delivered (typical blizz!) it didn’t bring the world ‘alive’ at all.. if anything it just annoyed people trying to play together because of phasing (until everyone had done it at least)

Whats going on in this game has a far greater scope to it.. and while you make some great points about the old !Quest! system, which maybe could be used to ease people into the content better… I don’t think Anet are aiming for that at all, they seem happy for people to not know all the details.. or get them to go and look for it.

This has two sides, some people will really enjoy getting stuck into it.. others will hit a website.. find the spawn/event/item/whatever points and go grab it for the sake of doing new content.

Gothdir.8953

I think you are missing the point of what Anet are trying to do.. either that or remembering wow with rose tinted shades.

While that firelands quest line was fun and well delivered (typical blizz!) it didn’t bring the world ‘alive’ at all.. if anything it just annoyed people trying to play together because of phasing (until everyone had done it at least)

Whats going on in this game has a far greater scope to it.. and while you make some great points about the old !Quest! system, which maybe could be used to ease people into the content better… I don’t think Anet are aiming for that at all, they seem happy for people to not know all the details.. or get them to go and look for it.

This has two sides, some people will really enjoy getting stuck into it.. others will hit a website.. find the spawn/event/item/whatever points and go grab it for the sake of doing new content.

Im not realy seeing WoW with my nostalgia glasses i just wanted to point out that there isnt any depth at all in this story line. So there arent two sides, there is just one the event timer side because the other, dig into the lore side, doesnt have anything to dig in at all.

Well you see yourself in this thread how it turns out for the players if there isnt a solid background or presentation. anet might be fine with it but the players not so much.

Khazâd ai-mênu!

Kaiyanwan.8521

For everyone who plays the “MMOs in the past” card, just don’t. The market has changed over the 15 years I have been playing MMOs, changed a lot. If you want people to play your game, be ready to pump out content, it’s that easy nowadays.

I just don’t understand, why ANet is not delivering more personal story missions. No new missions half a year? No need to break them up for different factions, just add some missions, give us some story telling, give us NPCs we like or hate, but at least give us some emotion.
Make story missions replay available, and you would make me and a lot of people happy.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I decided today I wasn’t going to do this part of the story. It just feels so lackluster. I got the items fairly quickly but then there is the portals with the flame mobs spawning in. People sitting there waiting for the mobs to spawn again and again to finish the 100% kill completion part then wait another month for the next part.

It just felt so blah and uninspiring I walked away and went back to just doing my own thing.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I’m not impressed at all with this Living Story. The events are just so lame. The mobs die literally in less than a second, you don’t even have time to try to kill one. It also feels like a HUGE grindfest.

I don’t know if this is a one time thing or is supposed to be a daily? If its a daily, I will never do it again.

Posted by: Segador.1560

Segador.1560

I have spent 1100hrs in this game and nothing has been epic yet.

This, just this.

The story feels really cheap in GW2. The personal one is like a joke but without laughts. Hearts and events are only a poor excuse to save in making proper quest.

You can say anything about WoW but you can expend hours only reading quest history and enjoy it like a book. There the only time you have a “history” you can read is the personal one and is bad as hell.