Is Anet SJW?

Is Anet SJW?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

“Wintersday” really? So we’ve come to the point of hating our own culture so much that we can’t even call it Christmas anymore just to appease some minorities who don’t celebrate it?

Everyone knows it’s Christmas, no one is forced to celebrate it.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

It’s been Wintersday since 2005…
Most games have their own name for the holiday season.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Settle down dude. WD is a little more open minded.

What about Hanukkah for one? Not everyone marches to the same drum…

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Bobby.3721

Bobby.3721

Ok…dude. its been called wintersday since guild wars one. This isn’t reality, its the world of tyria and in tyria we don’t have Christmas. We have wintersday.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Spiritz ESAT.7246

Spiritz ESAT.7246

i could have sworn i was playing a game and not in real life , its winterday in tyria but not yet christmas in real life . Btw is anyone forcing anyone to do anything ? I dont see any complaints from jews/muslims/athiests/pagans etc .

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Guess what Christmas was before Christianity stole it…Yuletide, which is exactly what Wintersday is.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Is Anet SJW?

Warcry.1596

What even is sjw? =/

Is Anet SJW?

Dawnbreaker.6215

I’m not even Christian myself, I’m atheist, but this is Christmas, even if it comes from religion it has grown a greater meaning than that.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday

Wintersday is an annual special event which celebrates the Tyrian New Year according to the Mouvelian calendar and Dynastic Reckoning. It is the celebration of the end of the Season of the Colossus and the beginning of the Season of the Zephyr. During Wintersday, snow covers the lands and the Snowmen and Grentches appear to spread their versions of the celebration across the land, through giving and destroying presents respectively.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Bobby.3721

Bobby.3721

What even is sjw? =/

Something that should not be remotely related to this game.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Perhaps the OP isn’t aware that there are no Christians in the world of Tyria, and therefore no Christmas?

Read the lore before coming to the forum and showing that you haven’t looked into it. Wintersday was the struggle between Dwayna and Grenth. Whoever won got to either bring spring early or extend winter.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Is Anet SJW?

Dawnbreaker.6215

Guess what Christmas was before Christianity stole it…Yuletide, which is exactly what Wintersday is.

It’s been like this for a long time, we live in 2016 not in 300bc.

Like, while you’re at it why don’t we also stop counting years since the birth of Christ? Then it’s no longer 2016 but rather year 4 500 000 000 or something.

Is Anet SJW?

Warcry.1596

Hey cool! A Christian that knows the earth is more than 6000 years old. Either way. Yeah Wintersday is 1000000% a better term. Holidays are stressful and while this is a seasonal event SIMILAR to what goes on irl… It not being called Christmas is much more enjoyable and preferred.

Is Anet SJW?

Dawnbreaker.6215

Perhaps the OP isn’t aware that there are no Christians in the world of Tyria, and therefore no Christmas?

Read the lore before coming to the forum and showing that you haven’t looked into it. Wintersday was the struggle between Dwayna and Grenth. Whoever won got to either bring spring early or extend winter.

What an insane coïncidence that it happens right at the same time as the Christmas holidays and that it’s even said “Merry Wintersday” just like “Merry Christmas” and not “happy wintersday” or something?

Also, again I’m atheist, I just have respect for our culture unlike SJWs.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What an insane coïncidence that it happens right at the same time as the Christmas holidays and that it’s even said “Merry Wintersday” just like “Merry Christmas” and not “happy wintersday” or something?

Aspects in games often mimic/mirror those in the real world. The development of Wintersday gained inspiration from Christmas but was made to fit within the game world of Tyria.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: sirblinky.7256

sirblinky.7256

People falling for this bait.

Attachments:

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

“Wintersday” really? So we’ve come to the point of hating our own culture so much that we can’t even call it Christmas anymore just to appease some minorities who don’t celebrate it?

You’ve probably missed that point, but it’s a fantasy world. And surprisingly, the Christian religion doesn’t exist in this world.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Dawnbreaker.6215
DresdenAllblack.1249:
I’m not even Christian myself, I’m atheist, but this is Christmas, even if it comes from religion it has grown a greater meaning than that.

So if you’re athiest, than Christmas is called Shopping Week. Either way it’s called WD because the Grawl do not believe in Christ. They worship spoons.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s been like this for a long time, we live in 2016 not in 300bc.

Like, while you’re at it why don’t we also stop counting years since the birth of Christ? Then it’s no longer 2016 but rather year 4 500 000 000 or something.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

I’m sorry you aren’t able to enjoy a fictional holiday set in a fictional universe, in which there are many gods, none of whom bear much resemblance to the One revered by Christians.

You’ll note that the game also doesn’t celebrate Easter, respect Lent, or otherwise have any obvious ties to any RL religion. The Festivals are all agnostic: Lunar New Year, Dragon Bash, April Fool’s, the Queen’s Jubilee, Halloween, and Wintersday.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You realize don’t you that Hanukkah happens at the same approximate time?

There are also other winter holidays around the world. Winter holidays are common as they come at the end of the traditional harvest and are a time of relative rest and a time for feasting.

You just notice this one in particular because you’re immersed in this culture and maybe you haven’t looked around.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

Wow, this guy. All the wackos have been out since certain events in November. Seriously, why can’t you call it Solstice (among many other named Pagan festivals) like it was originally called before a minority stole it to convert others to their holiday? Know what your talking about before you assume your viewpoint is correct and original.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

…we live in 1329 AE….

Fixed that for you.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I would not call it SJW, but Anet is a business and needs to appeal to all kind of people. Since GW2 is sold in most countries of the world they need to respect different religions.

Attachments:

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Please don’t bring in that whole “War on Christmas,” political nonsense in here.

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

And just what culture are “we,” exactly? I’ve met players from several dozen countries who hold as many values and beliefs as there are stars in the sky. We have players joining us from nations that are preponderantly of one religion, or many religions, or of no religion at all.

Wintersday takes place in the fantasy world of Tyria, ruled by absent gods numbering six. As your fellow players have pointed out, Wintersday is not Christmas, even while we have incorporated some traditional seasonal decorations from Christmas and from other winter holidays into the world.

So while I may choose to say — and it’s my right to choose — “Happy Holidays” to one friend, “Merry Christmas” to another, and “Happy Wintersday” to my fellow gamers — the real message is “I care about you.” And that message crosses all boundaries, faiths, and beliefs.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Is Anet SJW?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

“Wintersday is a special event that occurs annually which celebrates the Tyrian New Year according to the Mouvelian calendar and Dynastic Reckoning. It is the celebration of the end of the Season of the Colossus and the beginning of the Season of the Zephyr, decided through the outcome of a battle between the gods, Grenth and Dwayna. During Wintersday, snow covers the lands and the Snowmen and Grentches appear to spread their versions of the celebration across the land, through giving and destroying presents respectively. "

It’s based on Christmas just like Christmas is based on Yuletide which is probably based on something else. Stop being so triggered.