Players coming to "help" you

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I smell a business opportunity here. Mobs for hire™. Pay an NPC some gold and you get an instance with your desired mob in it. ka-ching!!!
Anet, if you implement this, I’ll expect a finders fee.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

• Players can get loot without going near the mob’s corpse if they own HoT and have gotten through the Pact Commander Mastery line. The last Mastery in that line gives true auto-loot, as in auto-deposit to inventory.

Even without owning HoT there is the AoE loot keybind. IIRC that has a 900 range radius.

There is also a champ at the beginning of 3 different fractals: molten boss, mai trin, and urban battleground. There are also a couple in thaumanova but those aren’t meant to be fought.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I spent 3 hours trying to solo the arrowhead champ (at a hero point) with a new build last month,

And that’s way to long to be trying to monopolize a mob in this game and chasing off other people.

It’s not your mob. It’s not your champ. And it’s definitely not yours for 3 hours. Especially a hero point champ that other people want. Frankly, it’s selfish to think that a champ is all yours for 3 hours and no one else who needs or wants it should join in for the kill.

Asking for 3 mins of testing is now ‘monopolizing’. I’m asking for a favor, not demanding copyright. Get over yourself dude.

I said it took 3 hours to get even 3 mins of someone not interrupting after repeatedly asking the specific people. I even helped countless people clear the champ then asked to be to myself to test, in which people ignored and continued to bother me, even after they cleared the champ, which i know they did, because i helped them to do it.

Quite franky you don’t read. And quite frankly it’s people like you i respect the least in this game. I asked for a courtesy. It’s a kitten move to continue to purposely interrupt after I’ve already helped them clear the champ.

Hell I’ve even had people follow me around the map, which is annoying because its hard to find taxi’s to other servers when someone is being a ass in the middle of the night which is OPPOSITE prime time. Quite frankly its unscientific to use one situation to determine if a build is good or not. So expecting for test on literally the easiest mobs in the game (that includes dungeon trash) is quite lacking. But that says more about the people who think that’s more than enough, than it does me.

You wanted 3 minutes of testing, true, but you were attempting to monopolize that hero point champ over a 3 hour period. Also true.

The whole premise of your argument is that your right to monopolize a mob of any type is greater than the right of any random person to also hit that mob. Your argument is flawed. Your right is not greater than theirs. Indeed, because of the underlying philosophy and reward structure of the game, their right to join in is greater than your wish to solo kill. Your actions are actually against the game philosophy while theirs are going with it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Asking for 3 mins of testing is now ‘monopolizing’. I’m asking for a favor, not demanding copyright. Get over yourself dude.

I said it took 3 hours to get even 3 mins of someone not interrupting after repeatedly asking the specific people. I even helped countless people clear the champ then asked to be to myself to test, in which people ignored and continued to bother me, even after they cleared the champ, which i know they did, because i helped them to do it.

Quite franky you don’t read. And quite frankly it’s people like you i respect the least in this game. I asked for a courtesy. It’s a kitten move to continue to purposely interrupt after I’ve already helped them clear the champ.

Hell I’ve even had people follow me around the map, which is annoying because its hard to find taxi’s to other servers when someone is being a ass in the middle of the night which is OPPOSITE prime time. Quite frankly its unscientific to use one situation to determine if a build is good or not. So expecting for test on literally the easiest mobs in the game (that includes dungeon trash) is quite lacking. But that says more about the people who think that’s more than enough, than it does me.

You’ve been told before, but “testing a build” doesn’t require you to solo the champion arrowhead from 100%-0%. Like virtually all open world bosses, this boss has only a couple of moves that are repetitive and predictable. If you can survive it solo for a minute you can survive it solo for the entire kill.

I also enjoy soloing champions, but I’m not about to ask other players to back off while I solo an enemy they have just as much claim to as I do. It proves nothing and getting upset with them for refusing just shows them how fragile your ego is – not something a sensitive person such as yourself should reveal on the internet (See Donald Trump)!

Posted by: Emmibolt.3928

Emmibolt.3928

I know they dont do it on purpose. But i dont run around killing trash mobs another player is involved in. Maybe if its 2:1 and the player has lost a lot of health. And the “not looting” is that they pling pling and run off without even being close to the dead mob. I know there is an archivement, but i dont think its that. Looting some hyaena isnt exactly worth the while.

Oh because nobody ever got a precursor drop from trash mobs
(ps, got venom and rage from killing bandits in Queensdale)

Please, tell me more about how trash mobs aren’t worth the while.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I spent 3 hours trying to solo the arrowhead champ (at a hero point) with a new build last month,

And that’s way to long to be trying to monopolize a mob in this game and chasing off other people.

It’s not your mob. It’s not your champ. And it’s definitely not yours for 3 hours. Especially a hero point champ that other people want. Frankly, it’s selfish to think that a champ is all yours for 3 hours and no one else who needs or wants it should join in for the kill.

Molten boss fractal got a champion you can solo mate first fight so dont take long at all to get to

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

GW2 was purposefully made to not only be friendly to players helping but to encourage it. This is what people are used to. Trying to go against that is of course going to be difficult even though what you are trying to do is a perfectly reasonable goal.

Perhaps make a post in the Suggestion forum for a “test dummy” with a HoT champ?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

None of the posters here even see a problem with coming upon a player that has obviously taken a champ down to the last hit before death by themselves, and they would take that one shot before that player if they can, every time and then go “oh, were you trying to kill that?”

I don’t have a problem with it, because no one owns a champ. If you want to really practice, solo a dungeon. That will give you real practice. and no one can interfere.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Getting help when saying you don’t want any, or just when the helping is being forced on you, in a game setting anyway, is pretty rude to be honest. I find it annoying too.

On the contrary. It’s the open world, where anyone can show up (and often does). It’s not up to you to decide whether others should participate in a kill or not. If you find it annoying, there are several locations on every single map in the game that get little traffic, there is instanced content, and there are static golems in a variety of locations.

It’s not rude, because it’s not up to any of us to tell someone else where they can or cannot fight.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

None of the posters here even see a problem with coming upon a player that has obviously taken a champ down to the last hit before death by themselves, and they would take that one shot before that player if they can, every time and then go “oh, were you trying to kill that?”

I don’t have a problem with it, because no one owns a champ. If you want to really practice, solo a dungeon. That will give you real practice. and no one can interfere.

I don’t either. That was not a complaint. I was simply trying to see if anyone else sees the difference between cooperative PvE and forced or required cooperative PvE. I’m not saying forced cooperative PvE is bad at all, just that it could be interesting to play in a game environment that required someone to group up before joining in a fight, or getting some form of acceptance before a reward can be earned, or even some system that awarded loot fairly but based on damage done or time spent or heals done or any number of entitling actions.

Clearly not the way the thread went, once more info was added.

AliamRationem.5172

I don’t either. That was not a complaint. I was simply trying to see if anyone else sees the difference between cooperative PvE and forced or required cooperative PvE. I’m not saying forced cooperative PvE is bad at all, just that it could be interesting to play in a game environment that required someone to group up before joining in a fight, or getting some form of acceptance before a reward can be earned, or even some system that awarded loot fairly but based on damage done or time spent or heals done or any number of entitling actions.

Plenty of games work like that, including World of Warcraft. It’s far from a new or innovative concept. However, GW2 decided to go a different way to encourage cooperative gameplay. Thus players who are used to GW2 see little reason not to jump right in when they encounter other players in combat.

Of course some players may prefer it one way or another, but ultimately we are where we find ourselves. This is GW2, not WoW or any other game. So here the etiquette is to jump right in. There’s little reason not to. And that’s by design.

Djinn.9245

You don’t think that GW2 awards loot based on how much participation is done? I get a copper event chest or sometimes none at all depending on how late I come to the event. If that isn’t based on participation, what is it based on?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You don’t think that GW2 awards loot based on how much participation is done? I get a copper event chest or sometimes none at all depending on how late I come to the event. If that isn’t based on participation, what is it based on?

This has nothing to do with anything I said. Not even a little.

Yes, there is some requirement to get participate, but that requirement is often very small. There are events I’ve gotten gold on that I wasn’t even aware I partiipated in while running from one place to another.

And still has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

“Well you don’t own that champion.”

Well neither do they. It’s funny these same people expect courtesy, but never want to give it. Especially when it comes to harder content. It’s about practicality. Pften my goal when doing builds and testing them this way is to show that these things ARE solable, especially for the people who always need help.

I don’t want your courtesy. In fact, i usually don’t bother with thx or np for helping or getting help. Just cooperation.

And you’re testing builds wrong. You dont test by fighting a champ, you test by playing a session. The only way to test how an open world pve build functions is to play open world. How else will you know how the build survives in heated odds with multi-champ spawns? Or how tough it is to get allies back on their feet while under fire? Or supporting as many poeple as you can? There are many factors to test and, at some point during a session, you will be alone and that is where you gauge that factor.

You’re trying to advocate being a * for no reason other than you don’t have complete control over others. If you want to test a build, play the game for a couple hours, its not like youre paying for the build by the hour…

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And you’re testing builds wrong. You dont test by fighting a champ, you test by playing a session.

Clearly some people do test builds by fighting trash mobs. That should be fine, as long as they don’t expect anyone else to treat the open world as anyone’s testing laboratory.

It’s not up to you to decide what works for someone else for build testing. There are all sorts of worthwhile things to do to practice, which might include working on mobs that give one the most trouble or might include soloing anything at all. It depends on the player.

Leo G.4501

And you’re testing builds wrong. You dont test by fighting a champ, you test by playing a session.

Clearly some people do test builds by fighting trash mobs. That should be fine, as long as they don’t expect anyone else to treat the open world as anyone’s testing laboratory.

It’s not up to you to decide what works for someone else for build testing. There are all sorts of worthwhile things to do to practice, which might include working on mobs that give one the most trouble or might include soloing anything at all. It depends on the player.

That sounds different from testing a build. What you’re describing is practicing using a build. Again, I say the best practice in open world is to just play a session. It’s the main way to feel a build’s weak points and understand how and when to execute its strong points.

The reason I say it’s wrong because there is no time-outs. Even if agreed upon by people around you, it’s entirely on yourself expressing your intent, being extremely polite to intrude, showing gratitude when others stop what they’re doing to accommodate your selfish wishes and not being a kitten if no one bends over backwards for you.

…that ‘you’ is in general, not you personally. I just see it as bass ackwards to expect people to not play the game just so one person can test their build in a fashion not intended for open world.

Not only that, but from a logical standpoint, if you got a Cham down to 66% alone before other players jumped in, you should be able to gauge how long it’d take you to finish the rest (the time it took to 66% x3). If you took a Champ down to 10% and others jumped in, you effectively solo’ed it. If you can understand the mobs’ patterns and nullify them while killing them, you’ve accomplished all but what your pride demands, so what is the problem?

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Want vet mobs all for yourself? Hop in the oasis in Desert Borderlands at wvw. I am sure barely anyone comes to interupt your training there.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I’ll never understand why people run away from them when aggroed.

Because of low dps

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Because testing builds on open world enemies matters….

I find hilarious how people are defending this attitude of monopolizing open world mobs. A ton of other MMO communities would literally kill to have people help each other in open world content.

If you want to test a build, go to a target dummy or open a dungeon/fractal or go to a story mission or duel someone in your guild arena, etc. The amount of available methods to get solo content to practice on are more than sufficient.

I’ll take people helping on open world enemies over people ignoring and running past one any day of the week.

tl;dr: player complaining he doesn’t manage to test his new meta build on open world enemys. Giving this troll 7/10.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

If i want to quickly test something i dont do that fuzz. I look for a lonely corner to try it on some trash. Even then i had it that 3 (!!!) players were ganging up on “my” wasp (not even veteran or such). Like it was a champion dropping some exotics.

Its the psychology behind it. Why should you do that at all? Like there were dozend other wasps around me. Why “mine”????

They are attacking that one because that is the one that is fighting back. I am a bit lost, why are you rejecting the good suggestions people have put forth? Nobody here ‘owns’ the open world. I can see complaining if, oh, someone is trying to rez you and you are stuck in a wall trying to wp and run back, but if they get in a strike against the mob you are fighting it does not reduce what you will get. If you really want a clean environment do exactly that …. go to an instance.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Should we see a problem? This is gw2. This “problem” you speak of is completely foreign to players in this game. You don’t own that champion and there is no reason other players should be thinking along those lines when they approach the enemy you’re fighting.

I don’t own that champion, but when I’ve been soloing a champ for the first 90% and meeples come for the last 3HP, I do end up thinking where the kitten were you earlier? :P

Though, that’s not quite OP’s point in general. He’s trying to test his build, and for that, an instanced setting or the dps-test golems would probably be better for him.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The problem isn’t a sense of entitlement.

What you described is . . kind of exactly a sense of entitlement. I’ll leave it at that while it sinks in on whose entitlement.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Menadena.7482

Re: soloing an event/mob almost all the way though then having someone do the coup de grace. Been there, done that but I still do not see the problem. Sure, I would have liked them to be there earlier but maybe they were not on that part of the map. Just wandering in the world you got some help. If you were testing you probably got some data by then anyway.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

When I see a player fighting a “trash” mob, I don’t think “Oh, that player must be testing a new build, I’d better leave him/her alone.”

I think, “Oh, that player is farming for experience or materials. I know I hate farming, so if I blast it with them, it shortens their farming time and I get some XP/mats too! It’s a win/win!”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

When I see a player fighting a “trash” mob, I don’t think “Oh, that player must be testing a new build, I’d better leave him/her alone.”

I think, “Oh, that player is farming for experience or materials. I know I hate farming, so if I blast it with them, it shortens their farming time and I get some XP/mats too! It’s a win/win!”

Also, I get the same mats without them losing out on anything because this is Guild Wars 2 and they did loot/tags smarter than other MMOs.

I mean if someone wants to test a new build, just do so in an instance.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You’re trying to advocate being [expletive deleted] for no reason other than you don’t have complete control over others.

You can’t have it both ways. If the OP is wrong to think that they get to control what other people do in the open world, then how is it okay for you to tell them how to test their build?

It’s not up to you to decide how other people test their builds or whether they should refer to it as “practicing.”

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

You could always do “testing” via story mode, you’re alone in any story instance for sure.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

AliamRationem.5172

You’re trying to advocate being [expletive deleted] for no reason other than you don’t have complete control over others.

You can’t have it both ways. If the OP is wrong to think that they get to control what other people do in the open world, then how is it okay for you to tell them how to test their build?

It’s not up to you to decide how other people test their builds or whether they should refer to it as “practicing.”

I belIeve the point is that the expectation that others should recognize your claim to an enemy kill runs counter to the game’s design. Of course anyone is welcome to test a build by attempting to solo a champion. However, getting upset and insulting other players when they don’t do what you want when what you want is not consistent with the design and resulting etiquette is poor form.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Getting help when saying you don’t want any, or just when the helping is being forced on you, in a game setting anyway, is pretty rude to be honest. I find it annoying too.

On the contrary. It’s the open world, where anyone can show up (and often does). It’s not up to you to decide whether others should participate in a kill or not. If you find it annoying, there are several locations on every single map in the game that get little traffic, there is instanced content, and there are static golems in a variety of locations.

It’s not rude, because it’s not up to any of us to tell someone else where they can or cannot fight.

I did mostly mean it as telling people where to go, what to do and how to do it rather than just tagging along to be honest.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Djinn.9245

This has nothing to do with anything I said. Not even a little.

Yes, there is some requirement to get participate, but that requirement is often very small. There are events I’ve gotten gold on that I wasn’t even aware I partiipated in while running from one place to another.

And still has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I was clearly replying to Tumult….maybe that’s why my reply doesn’t address your points.

Djinn.9245

Just curious: how is it obvious that a person has done all the work before you came along? I have found that one of the prime strategies in GW2 is to “tag” as much as you can, then run away and assume that someone else will finish it so you can get credit. On numerous occasions I have found myself left with a situation that I can’t complete on my own. I wonder where all the people went who were participating? They dd just enough that they thought they would get credit and then went on to tag the next thing.

So no, it isn’t obvious if you come upon someone soloing an event or champ that the person did the entire thing to that point on their own.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

Wouldn’t a personal or seasonal story (instanced with combat) work for testing purposes? If you leave before it’s finished, it should reset, requiring you to start over.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

If I’m soloing a champ and somebody else shows up, thank Baelfire, I hate killing big things alone. Please, jump in. If I see you coming and it’s almost dead, I’ll even kite because you probably need it too, in fact, I’ve called out that it’s up already and I’m killing it because sometimes getting those champs is difficult and I want people to know to come to it. Why would I be selfish enough to want a champ’s loot to myself? It’s not like there’s some bonus for soloing it.

Hell, I had to kill the demagogue for a collection recently and was happy when people showed up, even though I got it half-dead solo.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

If you can’t kill trash mobs by the time people appear, then it’s obviously a failure.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you can’t kill trash mobs by the time people appear, then it’s obviously a failure.

I was thinking that too.

Anyone who is testing a build on a ‘crap mob a level 1 would be able to sneeze down’ and it’s taking long enough to kill that random players passing by can join in, well there’s your answer on that build. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What happens is, I help person A, B, C, D, then person D stays there and keeps following me after i have asked them to let me solo.

That person might think you’re leading a HP train. And may either not speak english, or have their chat disabled – both are quite common actually.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I think I agree with a lot of people on the fact you should use your own instance.

• Make a lvl 100 (cm) instance and go kill MAMA (combat testing) or find another boss you like in any instance. (fractals/raids/dungeons/story)
  • Make a dungeon instance and clear it (sustain testing)
  • Go to the Golem in the aerodrome practice instance and go kill it (rotation perfection)

In all cases if you are in PvE and someone comes along. suck it up. People are doing completion for legendaries, are levelling their elite specs or are just interested in the map tokens. There are way more reasons “to jump in and kill it” then wanting you hampered in finetuning your build. I know players who would jump in because you said they shouldn’t. They might be wondering why can’t I kill it? Maybe nice rewards? Maybe a special thing? Their curiosity might easily be the reason you hamper yourself by telling them not to disturb. And there are people who think it’s not your place to tell them to “go and do something else”.

honestly if I was told off or asked to wait I would likely ignore your request, my time and progression has meaning for me as well. this goes for nearly all player you see. Else they wouldn’t be playing the game…

There are some really remote bosses and most people really hate ‘m. But even there people need to kill the boss for legendaries or HP’s

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Leo G.4501

Who said anything about open world builds? And who builds for the open world? I build for high pressure situations, and high damage, like those you can face fighting champs. Testing a build specifically for open world PvE is like having new bed sheets and dirtying them with grass stains the same day. Pointless.

Then why the absolute kitten are you trying to test builds against mobs in an open environment!? And you call me dense? Everything you described could be solved if you just open a dungeon/Fractal instance.

And your break down of my post just illustrates everything I said: you’re doing it WRONG.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

FrostDraco never addressed the suggestion to use instances. I wonder why. There are fractals with very different boss encounters he could fight over and over again, alone. You can even /gg when the boss is at 2% and start over again without having to fight trash mobs again.

So, why are you ignoring the suggestions? You are in a situation where there are things you can influence and things you have no power over. You choose the situation you have no power over and that frustrates you.

Also, maybe you should stop insulting people. If you act in the game like you act here, I can see why people aren’t going away. If you talked to me like that ingame at a champ, I might postpone everything I was planning to do and stay there to kill all the champs you engage.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Simply put, any mobs you engage in the open world are not your mobs. And, people coming to your aid is actually one of the distinctives of GW2. In other games in 2012 loot and xp was not generally shared. This contributed to your hating even seeing other players on the map when you were questing through an area. GW2 with shared loot and resource nodes contributed to an environment where you wanted to help others and you were fine with seeing other players on the map. You may not be familiar with this distinctive and perhaps are having a paradoxical response to people wanting to help you out. It’s actually a breath of fresh air. And, as has been said the target dummy golems are your friends if you want to test builds.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

In PvE there’s one golem test area in the fractals lobby and one in the raids area in LA.
There are test golems in the PvP lobby as well.
You can always join a instance like a dungeon or Fractal alone and fight all the mobs and bosses you want solo.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

You know, there’s a big ####### in the Heart of the Mists lower level now. It’s where the Classes NPCs are. And he’s just chilling there. You should check it out.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

So annoying when a game has active players in public areas. What a joke lol

Menadena.7482

So annoying when a game has active players in public areas. What a joke lol

Yeah! The next thing people will think they have the right to join your events for zone dailies, right?