Please add a tag color indicator in chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

If you have a mentor tag up, people see [mentor] in chat text.

Likewise, add just a small dot to show the tag color of the person if they’re tagged up.
I also like the idea of a short color name on the line in place of the word [mentor], color coding the word would still be great.

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

This would be really helpful.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

This is a great suggestion. Please add it to the Suggestion sticky at the top of the forum.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Or simply change the color of their text to match the tag?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

No, we already have red for Map chat, gold for guild chat, etc. If we changed a red commander’s text to red that would be confusing.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

Just add a small duplicate of their icon before their name in chat, that’d make finding out where you wanna go a lot easier.

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

No, we already have red for Map chat, gold for guild chat, etc. If we changed a red commander’s text to red that would be confusing.

If only the text in the [xxx] were changed, it would work nicely and not be confusing.

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I like this idea a lot, but does anyone have thoughts on how this idea might be improved upon to compensate for those gamers with color blindness? Anet has made a few accommodations lately, and if they were to go with this idea It might be a way to continue making things easier for gamers with visual impairment.

Perhaps mouse over the commander name in chat flashes the tag in mini map, much like mouse over HP/WP/PoI in the upper left of the map makes undiscovered ones flash?

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I really like this idea. I can’t count how many times someone’s said “X is on my tag!” and then people have to ask which tag that is (and about half the time the commander can’t answer because they’re in the middle of a fight). Adding a marker to show which colour tag is which commander would be a big help.

I like this idea a lot, but does anyone have thoughts on how this idea might be improved upon to compensate for those gamers with color blindness? Anet has made a few accommodations lately, and if they were to go with this idea It might be a way to continue making things easier for gamers with visual impairment.

Perhaps mouse over the commander name in chat flashes the tag in mini map, much like mouse over HP/WP/PoI in the upper left of the map makes undiscovered ones flash?

I like this idea too – it would help in situations where there’s more than 1 commander using the same colour tag, as well as for colour blind people.

I believe the standard approach for accommodating colour blindness in situations like this is to make them different shapes as well – like the squad markers which are both unique shapes and colours, but I’m not sure how different they could make commander tags without it being confusing – a lot of people don’t recognise the mentor tag as anything other than a red blob, so I think they’d struggle to find a unique shape for each commander tag (which is also distinct from any other map marker) which is clear enough for people to call out in chat.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”