She's a man, baby... A MAN? Uh...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

lmao, I am so sorry to make this thread, I am, but I would not be me if I didn’t.

A few years ago, I called my friend in Ohio, he’s a big gamer, so I had to ask him this.

First of all, I am Jamie, 34/FEMALE/Pennsylvania… Yeah, hi there, how ya doing? Nice to meet ya. What is the deal behind most of the gaming population of any game thinking only males play this game? I know guys think the world at large runs off of testosterone but… lmao.

Now my friend from Ohio generally answered the question with honesty, saying that in his opinion, back in the day when gaming was first born, it generally lured the men. Us gals, we rather stick to out make up, nail polish and gabbing away on the phone. This is not to say every female was like this, but most were.

“Times, they are-a-changing… more and more gals play online MMOs and are actually rather good at it. This can prove to be another gender-identified threat!!! This is a MAN’S world, dang-nabbit! How dare the ladies have the ability and intelligence to do what we guys do, and – dare I say – in some cases, do it even better then guys do?”

I have been posting on this forum for a while now and just last night I posted about a decline in ectoplasm salvaging. In that post, I see one of you referred to me, (yet again) as a man…

(dies laughing)

I just, I mean… come on now. My husband would be 2 clicks above suicidal if he found out he married a man. And I hate to tell ya, husband and I both play GW 2, and in THIS house-hold… even he agrees, I am the better player. I have 11 lvl 80s, and he has 5 lvl 80s…

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

(edited by Jaymee.1560)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And threads like this is the reason many people have issues with “girl-gamers”.

Does it really matter? I was under the impression that girls wanted to be treated no different from guys when playing. But apparently it is important enough that you are a girl to warrant creating a thread about it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Jaymee.1560

Does it really matter? I was under the impression that girls wanted to be treated no different from guys when playing. But apparently it is important enough that you are a girl to warrant creating a thread about it?

Uhhh… yeah… because lemme tell ya, should the situation be reversed, how many times does someone have to call you a girl before you feel the need to step up to that plate? lmao….

(Oh, and btw, that was an A-Class, 100% typical male comment you gave there… pat pat)

(edited by Jaymee.1560)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Err I am a female and people refer to me as dude all the time- I have never felt the need to correct them- why should I.
My husband certainly thinks nothing of it- it is not like I a wear a tag that says female online.

Gunnar’s Hold

lordkrall.7241

Uhhh… yeah… because lemme tell ya, should the situation be reversed, how many times does someone have to call you a girl before you feel the need to step up to that plate? lmao….

(Oh, and btw, that was an A-Class, 100% typical male comment you gave there… pat pat)

I wouldn’t care, unless they would treat me different because of it. But since this clearly doesn’t seem to be the case here, I really don’t see the issue.

And the last part is quite funny, seeing as you don’t really have a clue about if I am a man or not, so you are basically doing exactly what you are whinging about others doing.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Some don’t, they just come out of the closet to do what they love, even if there was no closet to come out of.

Jaymee.1560

Again, I am not using this thread as a way to defend female players, it’s a simple question.

Why is it that most guys think only guys play MMOs?

It’s an innocent question… Lets not all jump on Jaymee butt for it.

Morrigan.2809

Again, I am not using this thread as a way to defend female players, it’s a simple question.

I don’t think it is a case of really thinking only guys play MMO’s I mean it is 2014 almost- I think dude or he or whatever is a generic internet term used by everyone- I call people him if I am not sure and even people on my friendslist who knows I am
female still tell me see ya man or some such.
I honestly think you are reading way too much into it

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

And the last part is quite funny, seeing as you don’t really have a clue about if I am a man or not, so you are basically doing exactly what you are whinging about others doing.

Exactly.

This thread…kill it with fire.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Because the majority of MMO players are male.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

To answer the question, I don’t. I one time found myself in a full group of players, and all four of them felt the need to talk about how they were “Actual Girls”. I never revealed who I was, I just stood silent listening to their conversation about the same topic you are. I didn’t find that insulting, I just didn’t see the point in them having to identify themselves to me or anyone else when they are all playing on a game over the internet, thousands of miles away.

To me, I don’t care if you are a purple polka dotted gorilla with 6 arms from Saturn. You can still play the game, and do it in an intelligent, respectful way, right?

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Why do you care?
I know I don’t. Sometimes people talk to me like if I was a guy, and I only correct them if my gender is somehow relevant for the conversation (and it usually is not, of course).
It shouldn’t matter if you are male or female. I don’t get why so many women have this need to tell everybody on the internet that they are female.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

Lol, Why do you think….., that guys think……only guys play mmo’s?

Most guys know women play MMO’s, but the majority of the player base is probably still male I would guess. There really is no way to know the toon next to you is male or female.

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Why do you care?
I know I don’t. Sometimes people talk to me like if I was a guy, and I only correct them if my gender is somehow relevant for the conversation (and it usually is not, of course).
It shouldn’t matter if you are male or female. I don’t get why so many women have this need to tell everybody on the internet that they are female.

Same here.
I don’t think calling someone a dude means we think everyone’s a male. I’m a girl gamer and I really don’t care what terms ppl use. I feel more that “dude” and “guy” are gender neutral than meaning male anyway. Just my opinion though.
I rarely say anything unless it’s relevant, which it usually isn’t…

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

It’s less a case of thinking only guys play MMOs and more a case of not caring in the slightest that the person you’re adressing is a guy or a girl, and simply assume to be talking to a guy unless told otherwise or made obvious, in whatever ways.

As for the reason for that assumption? None really, it’s like searching for the reason why we call a table, a table, it just kind of happened.

Morrigan.2809

To me, I don’t care if you are a purple polka dotted gorilla with 6 arms from Saturn. You can still play the game, and do it in an intelligent, respectful way, right?

oh brilliant you made my day!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I’m shaking my head right now

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Jaymee.1560

Exactly.

This thread…kill it with fire.

Hang on… I know there’s a lighter around here somewhere…

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I didn’t see your ectos post, so I don’t know if you in any way alluded to your gender there. But your forum screen name is pretty gender-neutral (and spelled many ways).

For the most part, the English language still uses the male pronoun when referring to groups or when addressing readers of unknown gender. (“Mailmen” is still a cleaner, more natural-seeming term than “mail-persons”). So the response may have been just in keeping with accepted literary parameters rather than a prejudiced slight against females.

That being said, I am older than you. I am male. The first video game I ever owned was THE first home video game console, the Odyssey 2000. I come from ages long past when women were indeed the minority target audience. Yet I am the YOUNGEST in my old-fogey’s Guild comprised 50/50 male to female, which I believe is probably the correct ratio in gaming these days. And our most productive member is female.

So there. You’re right. Anyone who ever states that only men play video games is probably not a man himself. He’s probably a little boy.

By the way, all the GW1 packaging including all the expansions had women on the box cover. This is NOT just a bunch of sexy advertising on boxes to attract young males either, since many major characters in the game, both good and evil, are women. ArenaNet seems pretty balanced on that front. More so, perhaps, than we are in real-life yet. So don’t let the little boys get to you. They’ll learn as they get older and appreciate it all the more.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I have been posting on this forum for a while now

How long you have been on the forum does not matter if the person does not know you.

I just looked at the post, and I don’t see anything suggesting they think only males play the game. ‘He’ is just a term lots of people fall back on when the gender of the person in question is unknown.

‘They’ would be a better fall-back option, but not everybody, I imagine, knows that ‘they’ can be used in such a way:
“The “singular” they is the use of this pronoun as a gender-neutral singular rather than as a plural pronoun." -Wikipedia [28th December 2013]

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

(edited by DietPepsi.4371)

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

As long as yall stack on Alpha I don’t care what genitalia you have.

Posted by: Columbo.5924

Columbo.5924

Because the amount of female players is very small compared to the male playerbase? I remember German games magazines making polls about certain games. When they presented the results of the gender poll for each game, the usually had to round up the female playerbase to one (yes, ONE !) percent – so it appeared in the statistics at all.

The only real exception that i know of is the “Sims”. I agree that Guild Wars 2 actually has a rather sizeable female population as well, but still nowhere near the male one.

Counter question: Why is it always good looking females presenting the expensive cars at a motor show? Hardly to address a female address a female audience I guess…

Abaddon’s Mouth (DE)

Jaymee.1560

Now, for an innocent question, I graciously note that mostly the men here are claiming that I’m “whining”…* scratches head *

It’s an innocent question, one I am laughing about. Okay, some of you gals don’t care what gender the game population thinks you are. Okay, cool…

Thank you to those who answered the question without any kind of opinionated disdain.

To those of you who are answer the question with a large amount of prejudice… I love you guys, you make me laugh… your input on the subject is less than insightful, not quite intelligent and anything but friendly. Thanks for making me laugh even harder. Some of you are shaking your heads, you say? yeah well, so am I…

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Barely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

lordkrall.7241

Now, for an innocent question, I graciously note that mostly the men here are claiming that I’m “whining”…* scratches head *

It’s an innocent question, one I am laughing about. Okay, some of you gals don’t care what gender the game population thinks you are. Okay, cool…

Thank you to those who answered the question without any kind of opinionated disdain.

To those of you who are answer the question with a large amount of prejudice… I love you guys, you make me laugh… your input on the subject is less than insightful, not quite intelligent and anything but friendly. Thanks for making me laugh even harder. Some of you are shaking your heads, you say? yeah well, so am I…

And yet once again you do exactly what you complain about others doing.

You have no clue about who are male or female in this discussion, other than those that have stated such, and yet here you are claiming that people are male without knowing it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Jaymee.1560

Barely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games

Very nice! Thank you very much for such a straight-to-the-point answer.

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

Although I am not a moderator, I would like to request that all please refrain from making any more posts attacking other users.
-Thankyou.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Sounds like a plea for attention lol but I understand. One time in Fable 2 someone thought I was a girl and gave me a million gold. I can see why you want everyone to know you are a girl gamer haha.

Jaymee.1560

And yet once again you do exactly what you complain about others doing.

You have no clue about who are male or female in this discussion, other than those that have stated such, and yet here you are claiming that people are male without knowing it.

I’m only human, sue me, lmao

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I say dude and bro a lot. Call it laziness, call it being from Southern California, take your pick. I don’t care. I say it to women. I say it to guys. It’s like Aloha, it has many different meanings. I don’t think I have to go into the 50+ meanings for the word “dude” or the word “bro” or the word “aloha”.

No one should ever be embarrassed for confusing sexes on a faceless, nameless gaming forum. If it happened in real life that is a different story. I have seen people in banks ask strangers “When is the baby due?” to women who aren’t pregnant. That’s embarrassing.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Jaymee.1560

Although I am not a moderator, I would like to request that all please refrain from making any more posts attacking other users.
-Thankyou.

As the author of this thread, I wish to sincerely apologize. My question was not meant to attack anyone. It was just a simple question. I find it pathetic how people automatically jump on the defensive about this. About how my post should be burned or how I am whining and doing nothing more than what others are doing. None of that was my intention, it was just an innocent question.

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

It’s a really terrible question.

You’re assuming both that most guys care, and that most guys think only males play, all based on a completely anecdotal and quite frankly silly instance in which you were referred to by the incorrect pronoun. Stop assuming. You don’t know for a fact that either of your assumptions is true, you haven’t provided any evidence of it, and this entire thread is becoming troll bait as a result.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I think half my guild are females. Either that or they are guys in gay marriages because many frequently talk about their hubbies in guild chat.

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

When you argue with someone who self-victimizes you just feed their ego.

Jaymee.1560

(sighs) I give up…

Posted by: ShadowAgent.6053

ShadowAgent.6053

I’m Erika, 26 years old, female and I totally agree that we female gamers should be adreessed appropriately in…
not
Nothing of what I said is true. Anyone can be anything on the internet and, as has been stated above, some deliberatly don’t share who or what they are unless relevant to the conversation. Some people might even say they are male/female to gain favouritism. Unless someone plans to use a mmo as a dating site the gender should be irrelevant. I assume that sometimes even girls mistake other girls for guys ingame or on the forums. To be as neutral as possible to strangers one would have to adress people using only “you”, “he/she(in this way)” or refer to the gender of the toon.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread is not inviting to constructive discussion, nor contributing to the current issues and concerns, it is now closed.

Thank you for your understanding.