So now you cater to the 1%?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lunaire.5827

Lunaire.5827

With the introduction of the upcoming glorious hero’s armor, only the people who win pvp tournaments will have access to this armor set. This means you are restricting an exclusive armor set to less than 1% of your player base.

I initially joined this game because I loved how it was different from other games. You didn’t have to be in the top raiding guilds and schedule your life around raids to get the best looking gear, nor did you have to place top in ‘arena teams’ to get the best looking pvp gear. At the beginning, you could pretty much play how you want and gain xp towards your level or earn loot towards crafting a legendary.

Sure, there were more efficient ways than others to earn coin or xp, but you could still play how you wanted and enjoy knowing you were still working towards a goal.

But now you have chosen to cater an armor set solely to the ‘1%’ crowd that feels they need to show off to the rest of the player base. This means you are excluding 99% of your playerbase from an armor set just so the 1% can feel special.

Quite frankly I thought ArenaNet was above this sort of design. Why did this change?

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

so entitled
everybody wants something for nothing

Posted by: Immersturm.6097

Immersturm.6097

I feel like they’re catering an armor set to a crowd as a reward for their victory.

Seeing as it doesn’t really affect me, I can’t say that I care overmuch.

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

Theres nothing stopping you from climbing the ranks in pvp and earning your own set…..

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The Glorious Hero armor set will just be a variant of the Glorious armor set, which will be available as a PvP track, no? If it’s going to be anything like the Hero/Mistforged Hero variants, Glorious Hero is going to look like Glorious, but with particle effects.

Posted by: Linaeus.6253

Linaeus.6253

Sure there is, otherwise he wouldn’t complain. PvP players and WvW players suffer from not having significant rewards because most stuff is catered towards PvE since most of the player base is doing that. Most of the player base doesn’t see how much these two groups sacrifice because they don’t do the content to the extent as the more devoted players. Maybe if the OP were one of the people who did PvP or WvW, he would realize that not only is this reward something which should have been given a long time ago, but that there should be more to come for ONLY the players who do those game modes.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Why get upset over 1 set of Armor only available for pvp players QQ get over it.

I don’t pvp often but if i want it i will do the reward track it’s that simple.
There needs to be more of this to reward players that have Achieved something in a particular area of the game. In my opinion the armor is just like the fractal capacitor or the LS vine a cosmetic rewards for focusing and doing well in a particular part of the game.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I play mostly PvE, and I have no problem with it. Seriously, if you want the armor parts so bad, do what I do and play a bit of hotjoin on the side. You don’t have to be good. Even if you keep losing, you never walk away with 0 points. Those reward tracks will fill up, for some players sooner and for others more slowly. You will also pick up some achievement points on the way and a bunch of champion loot, level tomes, etc.

Pandaman.4758

Why get upset over 1 set of Armor only available for pvp players QQ get over it.

There needs to be more of this to reward players that have Achieved something in a particular area of the game. In my opinion the armor is just like the fractal capacitor or the LS vine a cosmetic rewards for focusing and doing well in a particular part of the game.

Well, I think the complaint might be that Glorious Hero armor is only available in special tournaments like the International All-Stars Tournament, where only the winning team will get the armor (hence the “1%”).

I’m fine with the fact that the regular Glorious armor will be available on the PvP track though, I prefer my armor to not have too many particle effects.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

There is also probably only a 1% chance that the set will actually look good, so careface really.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

People like in the OP are what’s causing the reward system for this game to be so kittening horrible.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Theres nothing stopping you from climbing the ranks in pvp and earning your own set…..

Well said, I couldn’t have said it any better.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Well, I think the complaint might be that Glorious Hero armor is only available in special tournaments like the International All-Stars Tournament, where only the winning team will get the armor (hence the “1%”).

I’m fine with the fact that the regular Glorious armor will be available on the PvP track though, I prefer my armor to not have too many particle effects.

True and i’m with you 100% regarding the PvP track but i feel that the guys and girls that do well in the “special tournaments” deserve a unique reward not just Gems or gold etc.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

I’m not a fan of exclusive rewards for things like tournaments, but I’m glad they are adding a had to get armor set through the PvP tracks. We have plenty of hard to get weapon and back piece skins to work towards, but very few armor skins, so the more the better.

Posted by: Demonzu.4215

Demonzu.4215

I am happy with the introduction of this armor set knowing full well that I won’t have a chance at it. I don’t care enough to compete on a higher level for gw2, if I wanted to go back to that lifestyle I’d go pro on another fps, but that’s an entirely different discussion…

It’s nice to see Anet reward the players that dedicate a lot of effort into refining their PvP. Can’t wait to see how cool it is and eat popcorn while more self-entitled kids rage about how they can’t get it.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

With the introduction of the upcoming glorious hero’s armor, only the people who win pvp tournaments will have access to this armor set. This means you are restricting an exclusive armor set to less than 1% of your player base.

I initially joined this game because I loved how it was different from other games. You didn’t have to be in the top raiding guilds and schedule your life around raids to get the best looking gear, nor did you have to place top in ‘arena teams’ to get the best looking pvp gear. At the beginning, you could pretty much play how you want and gain xp towards your level or earn loot towards crafting a legendary.

Sure, there were more efficient ways than others to earn coin or xp, but you could still play how you wanted and enjoy knowing you were still working towards a goal.

But now you have chosen to cater an armor set solely to the ‘1%’ crowd that feels they need to show off to the rest of the player base. This means you are excluding 99% of your playerbase from an armor set just so the 1% can feel special.

Quite frankly I thought ArenaNet was above this sort of design. Why did this change?

It changed because not everyone plays every part of the game. It changed because the standard in MMO’s is that people want things to work toward, things that say, “Hey, I did this thing.” It changed because, “Every dog has his day.” It changed because if you try to provide something for every different demographic out there, even the “1%” get something eventually.

ANet has never provided every single reward in the game so that everyone can get it doing whatever they want. This may have been your interpretation of ANet’s game design. I’ll give you that there’s more of this approach in GW2 than in most games. However, if you look at past performance you will see that:

1. There are plenty of acquisition walls in GW2.
  2. The PvP modes have gotten less than PvE since launch.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Those 1% ARE SPECIAL. They EARNED that special recognition! If you want something special, or anything for that matter, EARN IT!

I applaude those who won the PvP tournaments. I know it wasn’t easy and you deserve recognition for doing so. So strut that awesome armor!

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Dungeon armor sets are only available to players who run dungeons. A lot of players don’t run dungeons.

Should they start threads like these complaining about that as well?

Full Disclosure: I don’t play sPvP, run dungeons or make threads complaining about not being rewarded for not doing either.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

OP, you have a significant, fundamental misunderstanding of what the phrase “the 1%” refers to. I feel embarrassed for you, talking about such things in reference to a skill-based reward in a video game.

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Hum guess the OP did not read the entire post. You can get the armor look by doing the glorious pvp track. It will not be as shiny as glorious hero one but you will have the style.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Am I misunderstanding something? Don’t you have to be physically in the tournament as well for a chance to win and get the reward?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

sanitation workers get paid really well.. think about it

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Am I misunderstanding something? Don’t you have to be physically in the tournament as well for a chance to win and get the reward?

Yes,

Also travel, sponsorship, and real world money obligations. People that say “skill based” and “git gud and climb the ranks” are trolls that really have no idea what they are talking about. Anet isn’t paying for these people to fly to all these countries. This armor will be out of reach for 99.99% of players no matter how hard you pvp at home.

That being said. I am sure that its the same armor everyone will be able to earn on the track but with some kind of effect or trim added to it, and you will probably never see these people in game. I don’t think Anet would expense the resources to make a totally different armor for such a small small fraction of their audience, but I guess we will see.

I really hope they plan to add a in-game tournament system and a leaderboard that actually measures something.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Leo Paul.1659

Yes,

Also travel, sponsorship, and real world money obligations. People that say “skill based” and “git gud and climb the ranks” are trolls that really have no idea what they are talking about. Anet isn’t paying for these people to fly to all these countries. This armor will be out of reach for 99.99% of players no matter how hard you pvp at home.

That being said. I am sure that its the same armor everyone will be able to earn on the track but with some kind of effect or trim added to it, and you will probably never see these people in game. I don’t think Anet would expense the resources to make a totally different armor for such a small small fraction of their audience, but I guess we will see.

I really hope they plan to add a in-game tournament system and a leaderboard that actually measures something.

Yea. I thought 1% was a little too generous of the OP. It’s organized, sponsored e-sports-participants-exclusive, not just elite PvP players in general. I don’t mind though, but some of the responses and analogies seem to be a little misinformed.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

another “I want rewards without playing the game” topic..
Too many of those these days

in any event, PvP really isn’t 1% of the playerbase.. I’d say roughly 10% of the player base is a dedicated WvW/PvP, and from the remaining 90% at least half of them play PvP ocassionally. It’s really not catering the 1% just because YOU don’t play PvP

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

If a player is good enough to compete in the top tier tournaments, then they deserve something that no one else has. It’s like the threads asking for the Heritage armour sets to be made available on the gem store. GW1 vets got something to reward their loyalty to the game. This should not be cheapened by making it generally available. The same principle applies to the Glorious Hero armour.

Leo Paul.1659

Aside from the armor, what else would the winners of the tournament get?

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

If a player is good enough to compete in the top tier tournaments, then they deserve something that no one else has. It’s like the threads asking for the Heritage armour sets to be made available on the gem store. GW1 vets got something to reward their loyalty to the game. This should not be cheapened by making it generally available. The same principle applies to the Glorious Hero armour.

I’m probably the worlds worst PVP’er / biggest “carebear” and I totally agree with this.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

People like the OP are precisely the reason why MMO games nowadays ( including GW2 ) are so dumbed down and undemanding when compared to the games from the past, e.g. GW1, Lineage 2, and WoW in its first years.

It’s not about elitism but challenge. And MMO games should have both easy content and difficult content for those that are capable of finising it. “Everything for everyone” – that’s hardly the idea of healthy rivalry.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Is the OP for real.. …..oohh please this is either one fail troll post or some silly kid that just got told he cant have any sweets today.. either way I will throw a cookie in and say your better off going to play tiddly winks if you get so upset because a small minority of the player base has a little shiny armour and you don’t.
You have the same amount of opportunity to get if you really want it, if not stop crying rivers over something so trivial.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

~~~ snip ~~~

Considering the fact that PvE players have 99% of the content (including weapons and armor) already, complaining about one single armor set seems to be a bit much.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Every aspect of the game has it’s own exclusive armor sets. I see no problem adding two to PvP. I’ll congratulate anyone who wants to work for one. I, however, refuse to loose any sleep over it.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Do we actually know that it will only be available at real-life tournaments though?

How do we know that they won’t do the same thing as they did in GW1 with teams playing from home in organized tournaments?

Since the armors skins are in-game items there shouldn’t really be any issues with that.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

Oh guys cmon! Stop with these complainin there is nothing ANet can do to make everyone happy!

AN: new armor in the gem shop!
ppl: oh comon! all with shop! easy and money grabber

AN: new armor in pve (easy to get)!
ppl: oh cmon it is easy to get… and we got nothing from pvp

AN: new ascended armor (pve)!
ppl: oh cmon it is too hard … and it is not from pvp…

AN: new armor in pvp (track)!
ppl: oh cmon it is too easy to get

AN: new armor in pvp (tournament only)!
ppl: oh cmon it is too hard to get!

cmon guys… let be serious… which game gives you all that you want the way that you want with a patch every 1 day which add new armors, maps, classes, races, weapons and pay you to play it! …

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Ermm….

I don’t see anywhere that indicate that only 1% is capable of obtaining it. It is a pvp exclusive armour, it is not a TOURNAMENT exclusive armour. There’s big difference.

The people who join the TOURNAMENT will able to obtain these armour set without having to grind for it via PVP.

On other hand, to those who didn’t join the TOURNAMENT will have to get them via the PVP track.

geez, i must salute you for your selective reading skill.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Ermm….

I don’t see anywhere that indicate that only 1% is capable of obtaining it. It is a pvp exclusive armour, it is not a TOURNAMENT exclusive armour. There’s big difference.

The people who join the TOURNAMENT will able to obtain these armour set without having to grind for it via PVP.

On other hand, to those who didn’t join the TOURNAMENT will have to get them via the PVP track.

I know right ?

There will be two sets of armor that will be released exclusively to PvP: the Glorious armor and Glorious Hero’s armor.

The Glorious Hero’s set is a top-tier reward for certain competitive tournaments like the Guild Wars 2 International All-Star Tournament at gamescom.
the Glorious Hero’s set will be available as a prize in similar tournaments in the future.

The Glorious Armor set is something we wanted all players to be able to earn. As such, all players have the opportunity to obtain the Glorious armor set from a repeatable Glorious Armor Reward Track that will arrive with the feature pack.

Leo Paul.1659

Ermm….

I know right ?

There will be TWO sets of armor that will be released exclusively to PvP: the Glorious armor and Glorious Hero’s armor.

The Glorious Hero’s set is a top-tier reward for certain competitive tournaments like the Guild Wars 2 International All-Star Tournament at gamescom.
the Glorious Hero’s set will be available as a prize in similar tournaments in the future.

The Glorious Armor set is something we wanted all players to be able to earn. As such, all players have the opportunity to obtain the Glorious armor set from a repeatable Glorious Armor Reward Track that will arrive with the feature pack.

I’m entertained by the irony.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

This OP, how foolish can one person be. If they don’t have exclusive items to certain modes, there won’t be a good incentive to play them except for the fun factor which will only appeal to a limited number of people. If you want the armour, go and get it, it is that simple.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Those dang 1%ers stealing precious resources for their armor types! We PvEers should have everything they have but not have to do anything for it! UNITE! Down with those spvp players who spent 6000 games in spvp! They shouldn’t get anything, all the rest of us should and they shouldn’t because we’re the 99%.

This is how you look OP. Or should I just say WHO CARES??? PvP can’t have an exclusive armor without some crybaby complaining, but the rest of us don’t care. Only a handful of people will have that armor, no where near 1%, it’s like .0000000000000000001%. Be quiet. Seriously.

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

I think you going over the top on this one!

Les recap – we are talking skins.

you go off on a tangent about “other game” “i dont have to be the top elite to get the best gear”

-Its a skin, the gear is the same -fact
-There are skins in the gem store – you cant get in game – are you crying about this fact?
- Why is it “the best” – look around your world. the diversity of costume is amazing … Is there a best?

Common man, its really not so bad giving a skin as a reward for pvpers being very good at it.

Pandaman.4758

in any event, PvP really isn’t 1% of the playerbase.. I’d say roughly 10% of the player base is a dedicated WvW/PvP, and from the remaining 90% at least half of them play PvP ocassionally. It’s really not catering the 1% just because YOU don’t play PvP

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-visual-and-reward-updates/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-global-tournament-series/

Basically only 15 people (top teams in each region) will be able to earn the Glorious Hero armor set every special tournament, even if ANet holds a tournament every month (which is unlikely, it’ll more likely be a quarterly thing) that’s only 180 people a year, assuming you have completely new winners every tournament (we’ll definitely see some regulars though, especially with cash prizes involved). OP isn’t saying only 1% of players PvP, he’s saying only 1% of players will be able to earn the Glorious Hero set.

That being said, I’m perfectly fine with this concept. If people want to spend the time, money, and effort to fly around the world to play video games and promote GW2 (let’s be honest, that’s what making GW2 an esport is ultimately about: a massive advertising campaign), then blingy armor is the least they can get. No amount of faffing about on my computer from the comfort of my home is going to be equivalent to that kind of dedication, so I wouldn’t dream of asking for access to the Glorious Hero set.

From PvP Visual and Reward Updates, under PvP Armor & Reward Track:

There will be two sets of armor that will be released exclusively to PvP: the Glorious armor and Glorious Hero’s armor.

The Glorious Hero’s set is a top-tier reward for certain competitive tournaments like the Guild Wars 2 International All-Star Tournament at gamescom. If you aren’t one of the teams competing in that tournament, don’t despair—the Glorious Hero’s set will be available as a prize in similar tournaments in the future.

Glorious Hero Armor is Tournament exclusive.
Grorious Armor is PvP Reward Track.

Honestly, ANet needs to work on its naming scheme a bit. Something like “Glorious” and “Exalted” is more distinct than “Glorious” and “Glorious Hero”, which people can easily confuse if they’re just skimming.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

OP, what are you even talking about? There’s an exclusive prize for people who work hard in a particular game mode and you take issue with it? IHow does it even affect you? Because you wants it but cant haves it?

As someone else posted, you can work toward them via a PvP reward track. But let me guess, you don’t like PvP, so you want to be able to get the PvP armor without having to do PvP.

I really hope you anticipated that pretty much everyone would disagree with you and not that you are in the majority here. Most people do not have the entitlement mentality you do and thus have no problem with PvP having exclusive armor sets.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

With that attitude you’ll never be that 1% to win the armor.

Do you have the rest of the 99.99% skins in this game? Maybe your rant would hold some value if you owned absolutely everything else in the game but if you ask me you’ll quit before you own 75% of all the cosmetic stuff and then it won’t even matter what stuff is skill locked as you didn’t even take the time to earn the rest.

Leo Paul.1659

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-visual-and-reward-updates/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-global-tournament-series/

*Basically only 15 people will be able to earn the Glorious Hero armor set every special tournament, even if ANet holds a tournament every month (which is unlikely, it’ll more likely be a quarterly thing) that’s only 180 people a year, assuming you have completely new winners every tournament (we’ll definitely see some regulars though, especially with cash prizes involved). OP isn’t saying only 1% of players PvP, he’s saying only 1% of players will be able to earn the Glorious Hero set. *

That being said, I’m perfectly fine with this concept. If people want to spend the time, money, and effort to fly around the world to play video games and promote GW2 (let’s be honest, that’s what making GW2 an esport is ultimately about: a massive advertising campaign), then blingy armor is the least they can get. No amount of faffing about on my computer from the comfort of my home is going to be equivalent to that kind of dedication, so I wouldn’t dream of asking for access to the Glorious Hero set.

“There will be two sets of armor that will be released exclusively to PvP: the Glorious armor and Glorious Hero’s armor.”

“The Glorious Hero’s set is a top-tier reward for certain competitive tournaments like the Guild Wars 2 International All-Star Tournament at gamescom. If you aren’t one of the teams competing in that tournament, don’t despair—the Glorious Hero’s set will be available as a prize in similar tournaments in the future.”

“The Glorious Armor set is something we wanted all players to be able to earn. As such, all players have the opportunity to obtain the Glorious armor set from a repeatable Glorious Armor Reward Track that will arrive with the feature pack. "

Glorious Hero Armor is Tournament exclusive.
Grorious Armor is PvP Reward Track.

QFT. I dunno why people are missing this part. There are TWO exclusive armor sets being introduced. The topic is about the one that is awarded only in TOURNAMENTS. Stop derailing the thread.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

So the ‘1%’ should not be rewarded exclusively for dedicating time and effort toward learning how to outplay something better than Mob AI?

You can still craft your legendaries. It isnt like the incredible ‘catering’ as you call it has gone anywhere, for PVE.

PVP is a game mode too, though. and until now, there was no special reward for doing it.

If it’s for a tournament, the point is even more consise. winning a tournament takes careful planning, research, and training in order to even stand a chance. I think the reward for both being lucky enough to gain entry -and- skillful enough to win that tournament should be rewarded with something exclusive that proves they bested the experience. And even with that in mind, the Glorious Heros armor will probably just have sparkles added to them compared to the widely obtainable one, which isn’t a shining mark of exclusivity.

[From the viewpoint of someone who will probably never have the time or desire to try and enter a tournament on this game.]

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

As the Joker once said,“Why so selfish?”

Props to ANET for throwing a bone to PvP and hopefully WvW directions. As mainly a WvW player I just get on with the meagre offerings we get.And do not get jealous over what anyone else is getting.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

LOL – this is funny. PvP armor used to be separate from PvE armor than the Wardrobe came into play. I think if they win, they deserve some bling to show they had won a PvP tournament. Nothing wrong with this.

What do you think Ascended and Legendaries are about? If they aren’t about Elitism, I don’t know what else is.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

More delicious tears! I never go thirsty in this forum.

Good for these top tier pvpers, they deserve something for all of their hardwork and dedication.

Leo Paul.1659

Not everybody can join the NBA or NFL or the Olympics, let alone win it. That being said, they do deserve whatever they get, it’s just that the analogies are borderline ignorant.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Well, actually there is. Lots of other players better than him.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!