Storm Bow skin

Storm Bow skin

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

From today storm bow is on gemstore for 600 gems ( i just bought it with gold).
Storm bow was 1 of the most amazing bow in gw1 and it was a rare skin that can be only drop in uw, tomb, realm of torment and slaver’s exile.
I know that gemstore is pretty fair than other game and stuff , but why ruin the magic around 1 of the most beautiful gw1 skin with gemstore? storm bow in gw2 is good enough to be a legendary skin or a rare skin , but now he lost soo much potential… I mean why not create new skin for the gemstore , why use gw1 skin that can be use in different smart way…

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Why make actual legendaries that were promised and people can earn when you can just cut out all the annoying collecting/crafting stuff and sell legendary quality skins on the Gem Store?

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

From today storm bow is on gemstore for 600 gems ( i just bought it with gold).
Storm bow was 1 of the most amazing bow in gw1 and it was a rare skin that can be only drop in uw, tomb, realm of torment and slaver’s exile.
I know that gemstore is pretty fair than other game and stuff , but why ruin the magic around 1 of the most beautiful gw1 skin with gemstore? storm bow in gw2 is good enough to be a legendary skin or a rare skin , but now he lost soo much potential… I mean why not create new skin for the gemstore , why use gw1 skin that can be use in different smart way…

Having a version of the bow available in GW2 does not invalidate by any means the prestige of obtaining it in GW1. GW2’s setting and lore are based in the lore/history/narrative of GW1, but it is a different game and deserves to be treated as such. Why not consider it a tribute instead of a tarnishing?

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

This stormbow doesn’t look much like the original one beyond the basic shape. What made it look different and cool in GW1 is completely gone in this version.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They do it, simply because they make more money this way and it gets it into the game and the hands of players quicker. In many ways that’s a win/win

I’m sure if enough ppl objected and didn’t buy skins like these from the gemstore, they’d re-consider their strategy. As it is, it seems to be working for them.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

This stormbow doesn’t look much like the original one beyond the basic shape. What made it look different and cool in GW1 is completely gone in this version.

The low-poly mesh?
The translucent texture that tries and fails to convey lightning?
Not looking like it’s for a PS1 game?

To me, it looks exactly like what the original Storm Bow was trying to be, but with not-garbage graphics.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Yea the storm bow deserves to be a legendary. It looks amazing and has all the sound effects you would expect!

Storm Bow skin

Sartharina.3542

Yea the storm bow deserves to be a legendary. It looks amazing and has all the sound effects you would expect!

So does the Super Shield.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Having a version of the bow available in GW2 does not invalidate by any means the prestige of obtaining it in GW1. GW2’s setting and lore are based in the lore/history/narrative of GW1, but it is a different game and deserves to be treated as such. Why not consider it a tribute instead of a tarnishing?

~EW

I don’t think anyone will see any gemstore item as a amazing tribute. There’s always alot less emotional value for items that you can simply buy, even with items that have a “long” history in the lore.

People like to play the game and either randomly get this drop, work for it or some other reward, as opposed to a tacked on gemstore skin, because that’s not what the game is about for them.

Then again I don’t see it as a huge disaster if they put gw1 skins into the gemstore too much. Maybe a bit of a shame but I don’t see ArenaNet having the resources to put some collection or questionline in for every old weapon skin or armor skin.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Storm Bow skin

FrizzFreston.5290

I doubt they would have two staff skins planned for HoT. But perhaps for the stormbow. We will never know for sure.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

I don’t think anyone will see any gemstore item as a amazing tribute. There’s always alot less emotional value for items that you can simply buy, even with items that have a “long” history in the lore.

People like to play the game and either randomly get this drop, work for it or some other reward, as opposed to a tacked on gemstore skin, because that’s not what the game is about for them.

Then again I don’t see it as a huge disaster if they put gw1 skins into the gemstore too much. Maybe a bit of a shame but I don’t see ArenaNet having the resources to put some collection or questionline in for every old weapon skin or armor skin.

For items housed in nostalgia sometimes the having is more important than the means of acquiring. Likely for many who played GW1 it is an item of nostalgia (it seems… I never played GW1). Likely for many who didn’t play GW1 it’s a kick-kitten bow skin to own. I do agree with you that such items shouldn’t be solely found in the gem store; and to date they’re not solely found there by my understanding (i.e. hall of monuments, right?).

Tribute, call-back, or whatever else one may call it, the point is there’s more positive perspectives to take. Enjoying the bow in GW2 does not invalidate the joy and means of obtaining the bow in GW1. They’re two different games and the means to acquire an item that bridges both should not be expected to be the same.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Either way, I’m glad they gave us the option to still get the ‘legendary’ skins. And it makes sense. Don’t want all that work to be for nothing.

Yes, these were meant to be legendaries, but we all know what happened.

FrizzFreston touched on this above, but I think it bears repeating: We already got the legendary staff with Nevermore, so it doesn’t seem likely that the Emissary’s Staff is a canceled legendary. We have no idea what the new Longbow would have been, but as this is based on a GW1 skin and none of the other legendaries have been GW1 weapons, I have my doubts about this being a canceled legendary.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I seem to remember many posts/threads asking for Guild Wars skins, with much ‘take my money’ included.

Perhaps, the Devs were listening to the playerbase, yet again. /shrug

Either way, I really like the Storm Bow; I may even purchase it!

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

I bet it was originally the legendary longbow but they, having finished the skin, and not all the particle effects, sold it in gem store instead.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I liked my GW1 Storm Bows. Loved them. My favorite weapon in the game. I got a couple to drop in game, bought a dozen or so more (including my q8 perfect, oldschool) with platinum.

Bought them.

Sure someone had to get the drop but I could buy them with gold earned farming easy content.

I think the GW2 Stormbow is a very nice skin. Currently my favorite bow skin in the game.

Putting an item like this in the gem store supports development of the game. Works for me.

What I think would be an interesting idea, one that I have seen done effectively elsewhere, is color variations of cash shop weapons that can only be earned, are account bound on pick up even, in game content. So the basic version of the storm bow is bought in the gem store but a black version, requiring less development time than creating a completely new skin, is used as a rare drop for certain content. Perhaps a purple version drops elsewhere entirely…

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It was my favorite weapon in GW1. The GW2 version looks very different but is very appealing, catching much of the essence of the original without being just a copy. I have asked for a stormbow since the game launched. Thank you.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: CosmicKid.8931

CosmicKid.8931

I just bought the new Storm Bow skin today, kinda disappointed that it’s the same size as a short bow. =(

Storm Bow skin

FrizzFreston.5290

For items housed in nostalgia sometimes the having is more important than the means of acquiring. Likely for many who played GW1 it is an item of nostalgia (it seems… I never played GW1). Likely for many who didn’t play GW1 it’s a kick-kitten bow skin to own. I do agree with you that such items shouldn’t be solely found in the gem store; and to date they’re not solely found there by my understanding (i.e. hall of monuments, right?).

~EW

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was merely explaining why people might find it sad that it’s just “dumped” in the gemstore along with so many other skins. And the Hall of Monuments actually doesn’t have many nostalgic items.

A better example is the Raven Staff actually. This was a GW1 skin before and now turned into a precursor. (which to the point above that there’s no legendaries which are GW1 skins, there’s at least precursors which are. :p)

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Clearly you are viewing the gw1 version through rose color glasses.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/6/60/Texmod_YellowLightStormBow.jpg

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

good lord…..the things pve players complain about….no wonder u guys get all of anet’s attention.

-its tooo goooooood to not have a bigger grind.
-ur spoilingggg the lore by not giving it purple text
-give us MORE MORE MORE LEGENDARIES, I HATE YOU!!!!!

Rip anet’s good intentions

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I just want them to put in the GW1 skins the way they were (copy/paste code to save time). All the weapons I put into the Hall of Monuments, I should be able to use as skins.

“Here, this is the cool bow your great, great, great, (300 years or so worth of greats) great grandfather/mother left you…go have fun.”

It’s not just nostalgia kicking in, I still think most of the GW1 skins and armor look way better than what GW2 has given us. Even their reimagined versions.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

I just want them to put in the GW1 skins the way they were (copy/paste code to save time). All the weapons I put into the Hall of Monuments, I should be able to use as skins.

“Here, this is the cool bow your great, great, great, (300 years or so worth of greats) great grandfather/mother left you…go have fun.”

It’s not just nostalgia kicking in, I still think most of the GW1 skins and armor look way better than what GW2 has given us. Even their reimagined versions.

Why should you be able to use the same skins?? Cause you are to lazy to save up and buy them in GW2

Please, I too have a lot of skins in GW1 but I don’t expect to use them in GW2… they are different games… and if you expect that… your head is….. in the clouds…

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

The low-poly mesh?
The translucent texture that tries and fails to convey lightning?
Not looking like it’s for a PS1 game?

To me, it looks exactly like what the original Storm Bow was trying to be, but with not-garbage graphics.

Clearly the new one has updated graphics but that doesn’t automatically make it better. I played GW1 pretty much from when it came out. Back then the graphics were great and I’ll tell you one thing. Even though GW2 clearly has better graphics, which you’d expect from a game that comes out many years later, they haven’t been able to come close to the atmosphere of GW1. GW2 is beautifully crafted but it doesn’t evoke the same type of atmosphere. But then the developers that started with GW2 were gone before it came out.

And before you go tell me to play GW1, there are 2 things that keep me from doing so but mostly the second reason. First of all, it is a shame the game has 2D maps so jumping and climbing doesn’t work there. But I could live with that. However, the main reason for me not to play GW1 anymore is that I had the great displeasure of having my account hacked and ransacked and GW1 did not have any tools to return what was lost, which I think was crap service. I understand that later the game got it but it’s been taken out again. So really I do not want to rebuild my account again with the risk of losing everything all over again. Otherwise I’d be playing GW1 now.

GW2 isn’t all bad and I will say that in game the bow looks a bit better than on the pictures but it still doesn’t make me go wow as the stormbow did back when it came out in GW1. I have those memories from back then, I guess you don’t. You call it garbage because it was from before your time. I get that, I never played WoW because I wasn’t there from the start and the graphics don’t work for me. But there’s no need to call it garbage. Graphics always become outdated over time and you should’ve been there 12 years ago when it came it. It was a great looking game back then and the game delivered in many ways that GW2 doesn’t. This new stormbow is nifty and all but it just doesn’t have the equivalent presence in GW2 as the old crappy pixels one had in the original game.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Alecu.4786

Alecu.4786

First of all, I want to congratulate the design team behind this skin. It’s an amazing skin and since it was a fan favorite in Guild Wars 1, I can see that good effort has been put into making it look fresh and new while also keeping the concept and idea behind the bow – all towards great success, in my honest opinion.

Now, I don’t blame anyone for the decision to put this in the gem store, but this weapon had so much potential towards becoming the next legendary longbow! All it needed were a few footfalls and particle effects and there you had it. A bow that could have looked even better than Kudzu (which is marvelous, don’t get me wrong!)! I understand that there’s money to be made from a skin like this and that it would have also meant that a precursor collection should’ve been developed in order to turn it into a legendary weapon, but there’s so much missed potential here… I feel like a lot of us would have loved a new legendary longbow.

All in all, I can’t help expressing that I feel a little sad that the bow ended up just another gemstore skin, but I am really glad that it actually made it into the second game

Once again, grats to the design team and, hopefully, other remarkable skins could get more love from an implementation perspective

I’m also curious if there are others that share my sentiments! But please do not start hate throwing down below, let’s keep this discussion sensible and friendly!

P.S. Obsidian Edge next legendary greatsword pls pls wink wink
edit: oh – side note, I think the audio might be bugged because you can barely hear it, but I’m sure it will get fixed

(edited by Alecu.4786)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I want my GW1 ogre slaying knife now that we can actually fight ogres.

Other than that, I’m happy to see the storm bow!

SBI

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Should I go make my own storm bow thread too?

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I would like the Glacial Blade.
Both one-handed and two-handed sword version

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

It looks like the Storm Bow from Guild Wars with additional effects. The original Storm Bow was just a recoloured stoneshard hornbow to begin with, no a unique shape or anything, so the only things that made it look ‘different’ was the lightning effects and the blue glow, both of which have been translated over to Guild Wars 2.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It looks like the Storm Bow from Guild Wars with additional effects. The original Storm Bow was just a recoloured stoneshard hornbow to begin with, no a unique shape or anything, so the only things that made it look ‘different’ was the lightning effects and the blue glow, both of which have been translated over to Guild Wars 2.

I too prefer the original version as the new one has too much going on.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

While yes its an amazing skin, why are we only catering to 3 classes in a game when you can easily make it a shortbow AND longbow skin?

you may be like: “well its only for longbows”…heres a rebutle: take a look at the pirate needler…

reason i ask is if anet wants to sell more gems, then they need to cater to other players too… you have rangers and dragonhunters and warriors.

add shortbow and you got yourself thieves as well…JS. if it were for shortbows TOO id seriously buy it…personally

(edited by Lithril Ashwalker.6230)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Well If you dont know Stormbow is a legacy skin from GW1, so its not like Anet get to choose.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well If you dont know Stormbow is a legacy skin from GW1, so its not like Anet get to choose.

It’s not like it matters if they also made it a SB skin, look at Aether and Azureflame, both of which I have and the skin is all but identical, if there are any changes in the size of the model between the two types, its not noticable. No reason they cannot do it again with this skin.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If Anet makes it a legendary people complain about grind. If Anet makes it too easy to get people complain it’s common. If Anet puts it in the cash shop people complain they have to either spend cash or farm gold.

There’s no solution that’s good for everyone.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

If Anet makes it a legendary people complain about grind. If Anet makes it too easy to get people complain it’s common. If Anet puts it in the cash shop people complain they have to either spend cash or farm gold.

There’s no solution that’s good for everyone.

Soo what? everytime arenanet did a “bad” decision is cos ppl always complain? this is just a classic excuse to avoid the problems and blame the players instead.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

They do it, simply because they make more money this way and it gets it into the game and the hands of players quicker. In many ways that’s a win/win

I’m sure if enough ppl objected and didn’t buy skins like these from the gemstore, they’d re-consider their strategy. As it is, it seems to be working for them.

Check the financials.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I just bought the new Storm Bow skin today, kinda disappointed that it’s the same size as a short bow. =(

Yea it looks great but its too small.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

When this was first data mined I thought it’s for the 4th birthday gift ..

Storm Bow skin

Sartharina.3542

I don’t mind re-introduced GW1 items being Gem Store items, though I do wish they were also available to players as Hall of Monuments benefits – Those who don’t play Guild Wars 1 can earn them in-game this time around, and those that already earned it in Guild Wars 1 shouldn’t have to re-earn them in Guild Wars 2 – it would show a strong respect for the player’s commitments to the games.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I wish this is a legendary longbow, with the creation method of gen1 legendary. If the precursor crafting is too troublesome then just skip it at launch. Slow adding the crafting back.

But i am okay as long as it is not hall of monument
Skin.

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

O.o before reading that thread and googling a bit, I would never have dreamed of that those two are supposedly the same.

Attachments:

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This is exactly the issue game devs face when they go for this sort of business model of cosmetics as real life income. They compromise the in-game reward loop.

Heck, they promised everyone Legendaries as content in HoT and removed that even after you paid for it, but this Storm Bow that my friends and I were SURE was going to be a Legendary was implemented as a cash shop item.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Hmm, I just wish they could make it a bit bigger, it’s about the size of a short bow right now.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I bought it. I love it. I’ll be using it for the foreseeable future.

(edited by drunkenpilot.9837)

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Being a long time proponent of getting the Storm Bow into GW2:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Revised-Making-a-Stormbow-post/first#post4980499

I have to say…I like it…but I also feel it is a bit off from the feel you got from the original. (I detail how we could have gotten super-close to the original in my linked post and it may have even saved some time since all the elements i suggest were already in the game.)

My thanks for adding it…and you did get my money for it. So take this as constructive criticism, even though I liked it enough to purchase it anyway.

Perhaps in the future when adding a legacy weapon from GW1, perhaps (and I know this would take time and resources) work up say 2-3 designs. Get some input on those designs from devs that are heavy GW1 fans. Maybe add them in like the first Halloween weapons…where people could “rent” the skin for a short time to check it out in game…and then have players vote on which skin they like best.

I know you can’t please everyone all the time, but this may help the community feel like they are being included in the creation/implementation of the Legacy skins we know and love.

Just a thought.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Storm Bow skin

Lambent.6375

I got the storm now last night, and it does have those to pointy spikes at the end.

The thing is they are so translucent, and wispy, you can’t see them in any pictures, or video, and if you have the bow, you have to zoom in on it, and almost place your face to the screen to see them.

This also makes the bow look smaller than it actually is, giving it those short bow vibes.

Edit: Just stood against a dark surface to take a pic.

Attachments:

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Storm Bow skin

Lambent.6375

Will this fix it?

Storm Bow skin

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

This is exactly the issue game devs face when they go for this sort of business model of cosmetics as real life income. They compromise the in-game reward loop.

Heck, they promised everyone Legendaries as content in HoT and removed that even after you paid for it, but this Storm Bow that my friends and I were SURE was going to be a Legendary was implemented as a cash shop item.

Oh i see what you did there :P
You agreed with Devata in the past about removing the cash shop and selling instead more x-pacaks .
Then when the x-papck launches you procced to not pay it and you try to lower the price with the rest of the monkies , by going aborad in every thread and spouting nonsense .

And once again you changed your opinion of buying the x-pack vs cash shop , or trying to promote nonsense again ?

Can you link you account to https://gw2efficiency.com/ plz :P
I want to simply see if you have bought the x-pack or if you tried to unlock atleast one fo the the 4-16 of the Legendaries that exist ingame or tried to create a precurson and seell it on the TP :P