[Suggestion] Dodge arena

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

This is something I thought could be fun and would help to hone skills as I used a similier setup on a game server I ran for over 10+ years.

An area where your skills are useless, and mobs one shot kill you, but you have unlimited dodging. Put a chest at the end. All you need to do is get to the end of the gauntlet to claim the chest. If you can’t dodge, you have no chance, but if you keep trying you WILL learn how to dodge attacks.

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

With unlimited dodging, would people just spam dodge the entire time?

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

ShiningSquirrel.3751

That’s the whole idea, you stand still for a fraction of a second, your dead, and just spamming the dodge skill would not help if you where not paying attention on which direction to dodge in. You could very easily dodge right in to the path of a projectile or AOE.

On my server we had mobs that used instant kill laser rifles and tactical nuclear weapons. If you where hit, you died. You learned VERY fast to dodge and shoot the nukes out of the air because you had to.

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Well all you need to hinder that is some small terrain and stuff, so you have to actually jump up some steps every now and then. So you need to get out of dodging to get over small stuff.

but otherwise, yes. Dodge straight ahead.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

That’s the whole idea, you stand still for a fraction of a second, your dead, and just spamming the dodge skill would not help if you where not paying attention on which direction to dodge in. You could very easily dodge right in to the path of a projectile or AOE.

On my server we had mobs that used instant kill laser rifles and tactical nuclear weapons. If you where hit, you died. You learned VERY fast to dodge and shoot the nukes out of the air because you had to.

With perma dodge, the chances of you getting hit between evade phases is fairly low and players would just keep spamming it in order to rely on RNG to complete the challenge.

You’re better off removing perma dodging and instead create telegraphed obstacles where the only way to get past is by dodging.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Sounds alot like super adventure box, in that case i would be totally down for this.

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

This is something I thought could be fun and would help to hone skills as I used a similier setup on a game server I ran for over 10+ years.

An area where your skills are useless, and mobs one shot kill you, but you have unlimited dodging. Put a chest at the end. All you need to do is get to the end of the gauntlet to claim the chest. If you can’t dodge, you have no chance, but if you keep trying you WILL learn how to dodge attacks.

So, an upgraded version of the “learn to dodge” thing presented at level 3, then?

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

ShiningSquirrel.3751

So, an upgraded version of the “learn to dodge” thing presented at level 3, then?

Yes and no. Those only show you the mechanics but do nothing to really teach you timing or “skill”. I am thinking something more like a practice arena.
Think of it like target practice for dodging, or even like jumping puzzles.

When many players start doing jumping puzzles, they keep failing. The more you do them, the better you get. How many players have done the same puzzle over and over again until they could do it every time without failing?

If there was a place where you would go that all you did was dodge, where what you had to dodge was random so you could not learn a pattern, you would learn to dodge or you would not make it to the end. If you kept trying over and over, eventually you would master it just like any other skill. (and get a title "Miss me, miss me, now you have to kiss me!)

The mechanics behind it? I honestly don’t know as that would be something for the devs to figure out as only they really know what they can and can’t do.

Something like this, a practice arena could be useful for other skills as well. How many players have we seen complaining about other players not knowing how to use CC?

You “should” learn how to play the game just from playing, but some things could benefit from being able to practice them outside of combat.

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

Wildstar had something to this effect. No unlimited dodging or anything but it was a building you could set up on your home plot and it was pretty much just a “don’t get hit” challenge. It presented a bunch of changing obstacles you had to avoid until the timer ran out. It was actually pretty fun.

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

You can create something similar in the guildhall arena, by using some of the traps and hazards. Create areas that you have to use dodges and jumps etc to get through. One of my guildies made the arena into a “death-trap” sort of thing doing that. But it does require some creativity from the one making it

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

[Suggestion] Dodge arena

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I think what would be better is having the player in the arena and there are a bunch of telegraphed dangers (red circles, charging arrows, giants smashing) and a couple of safe areas where endurance could be recovered. Also optional is that you could have skills that are directional dodges, as some professions have skills that allow her to dodge. That would be slightly more accurate of in-game scenarios where you’d need to dodge incoming attacks.