Suggestions; Districts, Armor, Weapon dying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

I know this game is not the original Guildwars and that is what I love about it. Don’t get me wrong I loved Guildwars, but I am glad GW2 is not a updated copy of it.

There are some things However that would help that Guildwars has that could easily be brought over to GW2. Districts, Armor, and Weapon dying.

Districts were space on servers when an area got filled up, but instead of using Join in on the party list you just chose the district they were in. The main district was one then on from there. The join in can still stay and be useful at times of course, but the district idea is much better. Districts let you choose what map you wanna be on at any time. There may only be one district for a map, but this game is always finding ways to increase population on those maps. Maps can still be closed, but it takes an hour to close them which is fine that hour could be used say if someone is gathering materials and wants to finish, even if its on another character.

Armor from Guildwars was not based on light to Heavy, but based on your profession. For those who don’t know and never played Guildwars. It is not the idea of profession type armor though. Guildwars had some great armor that could be converted to this game with an updated style. The problem with some armors in this game is there are a lot of copies in them. all the God temples in Tyria carry the same armor. The should be carrying different types each now. You want certain Stats on your armor just transmute it to the set you like. Bring it all back from the 1k armor to the obsidian armor from Guildwars. Then let the player choose what they would like to get.

Weapon dying from Guildwars was awesome. Now there are weapons in that game that could not be dyed which is ok that is the look that Anet wanted and that was cool. Weapon dying is a way to express yourself even more you have a theme you are going for but that weapon is the wrong color and does not work with what you are thinking. Do you find a weapon that does work, wait no because it is either stupidly expensive, or does not exist. So you dye the weapon you wanted to use in the first place.

Now you may be saying to yourself Anet can’t do that and its stupid for me to think they can. That’s the beauty I know they can, no doubt. GW2 can be pretty much made to do anything that the devs want. From districts to armor to weapon dying, and even the ability to save builds. Haha I had to throw that in there too somewhere.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There are some things However that would help that Guildwars has that could easily be brought over to GW2. Districts, Armor, and Weapon dying.

I remember a quote from an ANet staff commenting on how easy it is for people who don’t work for ANet to say it’s easy to do something.

1) districts
No quote, but I remember a post long ago saying that districts are not easy to put in due to the structure of how the servers are set up. I think it’s moderately obvious that after years of people asking for this that if it was easy for this game to have districts they would have been put in already.
2) armor skins from Guild Wars 1
Highly desired many, but again not easy. They’ve directly said that making armor is something that requires a lot of effort. Bringing in armor from another game and fitting it to the 5 races and 2 sexes in this game would be no easy task.
3) weapon dyeing
Again, desired by many but not easy to put in as it would require the remake of all the weapons in the game to add dye channels. A considerable task since there are several hundreds(?) thousands(?) (a large number at any rate) weapons to redo. They’ve already said they’re not going to do this. It would be too much work for too little gain at this stage in the game’s life.

tl:dr
None of your suggestions are easy to do as already explained previously by ANet on other threads.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Chyanne Waters.8719

That is a bunch of you know what, about how hard it would be especially on the armor the design is already there just a few tweaks and its ready for GW2. The dye channels for Weapons is an easy fix also make it so you can only dye it one color at a time, nothing fancy. I say its easy because I believe in the talent they have not that doing it is the easiest to accomplish.

And stop making excuses for them what we ask for is not impossible to do in this game. That’s why we have things like Super Adventure box, Living world etc. I understand that armor takes time, but if the template is there should not be a problem adjusting to GW2 design. In fact they should welcome that idea more than half the work is done.

Also I do not live on the forums like you do. I see something that interests me and I read it about half have your name in it somewhere. So I would not always see other threads asking about them, since I usually only look at the first page or two of each forum.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I do a lot of programming in my day job, and I like to tell people that while some things aren’t impossible, they are expensive. Usually, people outside the tech side don’t have a good feel for what’s a five-minute fix and what’s an expensive overhaul. It might look like I’m making excuses to avoid doing my job, but I’m acknowledging business realities.

You can argue, “I don’t care if it’s expensive, they should do it anyway,” but if Anet has said that something like districts or weapon dyes are impractical to add, it doesn’t do any good to argue how easy or simple they would be. Worthwhile or not, they’re not easy.

I’ve also done some 3D modeling previously, and converting GW1 armor to GW2 armor would probably not be easy. Even assuming they have higher poly original models, and high-res textures, that were cut down for GW1, there’s still a lot of work left to get them into GW2. If it were so very easy, don’t you think they would have done it already?

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

Monk/Primeval/Krytan etc armor say hi from the Gemstore.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

It’s so easy, you can give us some clear details on how they can fix all of these things, right? I’m always interested in learning the coding involved.

I say its easy because I believe in the talent they have not that doing it is the easiest to accomplish.

Way to pass the buck. And nobody so far has claimed it is impossible, but they have broken down for you why it’s not necessarily practical. Also, a pretty good rule of thumb in life is this: if you think someone else’s job is easy, you probably don’t know as much about it as you think.

I did basic 3D modeling in college, and every time you start going on about how easy all of these things are…

Attachments:

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I remember a quote from an ANet staff commenting on how easy it is for people who don’t work for ANet to say it’s easy to do something.

1) districts
No quote, but I remember a post long ago saying that districts are not easy to put in due to the structure of how the servers are set up. I think it’s moderately obvious that after years of people asking for this that if it was easy for this game to have districts they would have been put in already.
Highly desired many, but again not easy. They’ve directly said that making armor is something that requires a lot of effort. Bringing in armor from another game and fitting it to the 5 races and 2 sexes in this game would be no easy task.
3) weapon dyeing
Again, desired by many but not easy to put in as it would require the remake of all the weapons in the game to add dye channels. A considerable task since there are several hundreds(?) thousands(?) (a large number at any rate) weapons to redo. They’ve already said they’re not going to do this. It would be too much work for too little gain at this stage in the game’s life.

None of your suggestions are easy to do as already explained previously by ANet on other threads.

If bringing over a cache of weapon and armour skins is so difficult, then why are there many games already on the market where players have independently created mods for free that do that very thing?

I can wear Elder scrolls armour in Tera
I can augment any armour in the witcher series to be re-textured.
Etc

For the herculean task it is,..members from other communities without qualifications in coding have successfully done it and updated it with each patch that game has undergone.

I am by no means calling Anet lazy or anything, but developers in other games have listed their favourite community mods and taken them on board when developing any further titles in their series.

Just saying.

Redenaz.8631

If bringing over a cache of weapon and armour skins is so difficult, then why are there many games already on the market where players have independently created mods for free that do that very thing?

Player-modders do good work sometimes. Even if they’re doing it in their free time, and they release the mod for free, if they do a good job, you shouldn’t undervalue their work. When you’re asking professional developers to do the same thing those modders do, however, you should recognize how expensive that work actually is when you have to pay for it.

As I said above, some things aren’t impossible. Just expensive.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) districts
3) weapon dyeing

Etc

For the herculean task it is,..members from other communities without qualifications in coding have successfully done it and updated it with each patch that game has undergone.

I am by no means calling Anet lazy or anything, but developers in other games have listed their favourite community mods and taken them on board when developing any further titles in their series.

Just saying.

To that I can only give the quote below, and add this question. If it was so very simple to port over armors from another game to this game, then why haven’t they done it? if all they need to do is bring it over, tweak this and tweak that and voile! It’s ready for gw2 prime time! and yet they haven’t done it in spite of so many people asking for it over the years and it being a very easy way to make people happy. Why haven’t they?

Either they are lazy or they don’t care about an easy fix to improve their game or it’s harder than you think. I’m going with it’s harder/more expensive than all the people who say it’s so easy/cheap to do think it is.

Armor and emotes

Regina B
GimmeSylvari

Hi ! Will there ever be any official armor design contests? Like the guild emblem creation, but for a full armor set ?

Also, seeing that the animators do such a great job in GW2, why can’t we get more emotes ? (Could even be a gemstore thing, as long as it’s not a book thingie that we have to take everywhere, but something that unlocks new emote commands instead ?)

Armor is one of the most expensive things in the game to create. Armor is complicated and needs to be created with many considerations in mind, and these considerations may not be easily apparent or describable to fan armor designers. It isn’t a bad idea to run a contest like this, but it’s many orders more involved than other types of contests, which may be a better use of our limited development and marketing resources. We always have to weigh the pros and cons of any type of contest based on our marketing goals.

(Snip-about emotes)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

That is a bunch of you know what, about how hard it would be especially on the armor the design is already there just a few tweaks and its ready for GW2. The dye channels for Weapons is an easy fix also make it so you can only dye it one color at a time, nothing fancy. I say its easy because I believe in the talent they have not that doing it is the easiest to accomplish.

And stop making excuses for them what we ask for is not impossible to do in this game. That’s why we have things like Super Adventure box, Living world etc. I understand that armor takes time, but if the template is there should not be a problem adjusting to GW2 design. In fact they should welcome that idea more than half the work is done.

Also I do not live on the forums like you do. I see something that interests me and I read it about half have your name in it somewhere. So I would not always see other threads asking about them, since I usually only look at the first page or two of each forum.

The weapon dyeing was answered on Reddit a while ago iirc. It can be done, but would require an enormous amount of work for very little gain. For this to be feasible, it would have to have been incorporated into the weapon’s design prior to launch and they choose not to do so.

They said, although it probably could be done at great time and cost, it would it would produce a patch of “non-trivial” size.

The GW2 engine and coding has been stated to be a lot more complicated than a lot of people are aware of. It’s something I have seen with MMO’s before – even seemingly easy things are a nightmare. I remember Anarchy Online delayed a balance patch for years due to how much effort the re-coding became. Same with their new gfx engine which is rapidly approaching 10 years in development..

I was reading in the lore forums yesterday how they couldn’t send out 40 different types of letters to your character informing them of the dungeon due to budget restraints on wording/localisation/translation etc. And that’s just text. OK it isn’t coding directly, but it shows how even simple things aren’t easy.

It isn’t a case of dampening the validity of your feedback, it’s more a case of ensuring ppl realise things are never as “easy”, “quick” or “simple” to implement as it seems.

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Etc

Just saying.

It’s not difficult, it just requires a lot of man hours, both retexturing (not recolouring) and rerigging models (which can be a major pain in the behind if the new model is weighted differently) is quite labor intensive. This costs money. Even more so if the model is significantly different to the original being ported, eg, charr, asura as you will almost certainly end up with disgustingly bad texture stretching and clipping without major alterations (probably easier to remake from scratch).

Finally, some of those mods clip and stretch like crazy if you don’t use a compatible body shape mod, which is what anet wanted to avoid.

I personally think that anet just don’t have the manpower to devote to such tasks, unlike bigger studios like swtor or asian grinders which always seem to have more staff working on cash shop fashion than on anything else.

(edited by Ubik.8315)

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i don’t think adding “districts” would be that difficult.
you would simply need a function to read and display the maps that are already open (perhaps even exclude those that are being closed due to low population) and a function similar to “join person X” (which i assume is a “read persons X map, store in Y” + “join Y” kinda of function) to switch between the instances. writing such a thing shouldn’t take long and although integrating that into the existing system might take longer i would expect a team of 2 programmers not to need longer than a month.
but then again i have no experience in programming computer games since my field of work has more to do with numerical programming and scientific simulations so correct me if i’m wrong.

and although i don’t have any concrete knowledge about the server systems anet is running i can’t think of a server architecture that would prevent such functions from the top of my head. a list of the available maps must be centrally stored somewhere regardless of server architecture and if there isn’t a mechanism in place that would block a read operation on purpose i see no reason why that should be difficult at all.

i agree with anet regarding armor and weapons tho. those tasks would take a lot of time, especially the weapon overhaul and would be imo not worth the huge amount of work they require.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Etc

Just saying.

It’s not difficult, it just requires a lot of man hours, both retexturing (not recolouring) and rerigging models (which can be a major pain in the behind if the new model is weighted differently) is quite labor intensive. This costs money. Even more so if the model is significantly different to the original being ported, eg, charr, asura as you will almost certainly end up with disgustingly bad texture stretching and clipping without major alterations (probably easier to remake from scratch).

Finally, some of those mods clip and stretch like crazy if you don’t use a compatible body shape mod, which is what anet wanted to avoid.

I personally think that anet just don’t have the manpower to devote to such tasks, unlike bigger studios like swtor or asian grinders which always seem to have more staff working on cash shop fashion than on anything else.

And yet, despite the labour and expenditure aside, there is home hobbyists who have done it for free. So it seems nothing is really “too big or expensive.” for someone that just wants to see it get done. When one person releases a mod that ports 50% of appearances from one game on an entirely different engine to another..well, the time and labour defense begins to crumble…lets remember, one person did this in their spare time on top of their full time employment.

http://kotaku.com/5979860/the-12-best-mods-for-pc-games

Seems time and money weren’t an issue for these 12.

Which kinda underlines what is being said here, time and money aren’t an issue if you want to see it get done and believe it will make it better. The more likely reason is, ’Can’t be bothered to do something I don’t really care about in the first place.’

Redenaz.8631

I think you’re massively undervaluing the work of modders, CnrlAltDefeat. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like you value it at all, because you’re writing off all the time and labor they put into those mods as a non-issue.

My company cares about getting the job done right, but there are still nice things we have to cut because they would set the rest of a project massively behind. That’s just business, and a reality when you’re paying people for their time.

There are things I would like to see improved in my company projects, but I’m not going to spend my nights and weekends on them, even if I think I could make them better. I have my own stuff going on, too, outside my work, even though I love my work.

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

And yet, despite the labour and expenditure aside, there is home hobbyists who have done it for free. So it seems nothing is really “too big or expensive.” for someone that just wants to see it get done.

You’re equating hobby work with a paid job. When you’re at work you need to prioritize. Do you want that Texture artist to be working on new content for the next LS3/raid/etc or porting over and updating GW1 textures. Do you want the modeller to be creating new assets or fixing clipping issues with ported over armor?

When these guys are costing you $40-70k a year and freelancers may cost more per hour or per item, as well as a single item possibly requiring input from more than one person, then yes, both time and money are an issue.

I’m sure many of the developers and artists would love to add extra stuff and polish to the game, but at the end of the day doing so in their own time doesn’t pay the bills.

You’re basically asking the equivalent of a auto mechanic to fix your car for free because you heard of a guy who does it as a hobby and he fixed your friends car for free.

(edited by Ubik.8315)

Chyanne Waters.8719

And yet, despite the labour and expenditure aside, there is home hobbyists who have done it for free. So it seems nothing is really “too big or expensive.” for someone that just wants to see it get done.

You’re equating hobby work with a paid job. When you’re at work you need to prioritize. Do you want that Texture artist to be working on new content for the next LS3/raid/etc or porting over and updating GW1 textures. Do you want the modeller to be creating new assets or fixing clipping issues with ported over armor?

When these guys are costing you $40-70k a year and freelancers may cost more per hour or per item, as well as a single item possibly requiring input from more than one person, then yes, both time and money are an issue.

I’m sure many of the developers and artists would love to add extra stuff and polish to the game, but at the end of the day doing so in their own time doesn’t pay the bills.

You’re basically asking the equivalent of a auto mechanic to fix your car for free because you heard of a guy who does it as a hobby and he fixed your friends car for free.

And they make a game that is buy to play and relies on Gem store sales and box sales to stay alive and relevant. They add new content to this game case in point the Living world series. They add things in that if you did not look for it you would not ever see it. If I paid people that much I would expect them to do what they get paid for. A mechanic works by the hour. The shop charges lets say $100 an hour for labor. Do you think the mechanic is making $100 an hour no they are maybe making $25-$30 an hour. the rest goes to the shop. Then on top of that most shops make you buy your parts through them so they can upcharge them by 200-300% then say that’s how we make money and keep the place open. What a bunch of you know what.

I am not expecting the game to instantly put Guildwars armor, districts, or weapon dying into the game. This is a suggestion that I would love to have happen. I no longer play Guildwars, but those are things that would be cool to see in this game.
Anet is not stealing from another game they would only be using items from the history of Guildwars. They have done it so far with the krytan armor, the monks outfit etc. Why not extend that to more.