The New Dailies -- Feedback welcome

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i just did all my pve dailies for today.. i ran into another player doing the same vista i probably hadn’t looked at in two years, people were in the same zone, coordinating to do events.. it was horrible, i mean.. who would want that in an mmorpg

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Abe.2986

Abe.2986

Strongly dislike the new dailies.

I thought it would reward what I want to do. Why do I want to run events in the iron marshes? Then I have to hang around long enough for the frozen maw? Then do a random vista? or a Specific level fractal? Why is fractal 11-20 better than, any fractal or fractal 50? or any event, why the specifics?

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

All I can say is that this is the first time in a long time where I logged in and just… didn’t feel like playing. I looked at my daily list and saw nothing that interested me. Felt miffed that ANet is pushing the laurel on me just to sign in, complained a bit on chat, and then logged back out.

I haven’t been this unmotivated since my original guild drifted away to other games, and now I sorta feel like I’m about to go the same way.

I know. Maybe we need to form a guild for people that just want to mess around a bit. Nowadayz I log in one of my 80’s, run around kill, harvest, event, whatever I run across.

Occasionally I need to sell a stack of stuff as my bank fills up. The 250 Chili Peppers was a big surprise. I had no idea they sold for so much.

Now what should I do with the gold?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, I thought it really odd that I logged in after a long absence for the Wintersday Festival and saw that I no longer have hardly any daily options. It’s like they want to take all the choices away. NEWSFLASH – choices in a game are a good thing, not a bad thing.

Bellizare.5816

i just did all my pve dailies for today.. i ran into another player doing the same vista i probably hadn’t looked at in two years, people were in the same zone, coordinating to do events.. it was horrible, i mean.. who would want that in an mmorpg

I had a similar experience in Queensdale last night.

Hopefully it lasts beyond the novelty of introduction.

Posted by: America.9437

America.9437

Did Today’s Daily:

1) View Vista In Kryta (never left the city – absolute waste of my time)
2) Gathering Ore In Ascalon (went to a noob zone and gathered ore as quickly as possibly, i dont need the ore but ok, whatever, as quickly as I was there I left)
3) Iron Marsh Events (OMG this was a total pain in my kitten , I just cant/won’t do that again, I finished it as quickly as I could and left.)

WHY!? Why is everything so kitten ed specific!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe just makes them regional events rather than a specific zone

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

I think this is what everyone wants. I’d go a step further and reintroduce the general do-anywhere tasks like gatherer/event completer/veteran killer. That way if people want to go to Ascalon for a vista, they can, or they can still get the daily through their run of play.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

There is a person who used it to gain experience for her low level alts. Now the Daily doesn’t given experience and a number of them aren’t doable in all zones.

Writ of Experience, a new daily reward is an accountbound consumable that you can give to an alt.

Some used it as a list of goals to do today. Before they could choose to do their to do list anywhere. Now it’s set zones/regions and they aren’t always near each other.

Is it really that much of a difficulty to use a waypoint or two? Seriously, people act like this is a huge chore or inconvenience.

The Writ of Experience doesn’t help her on the days where that isn’t an option. And perhaps she prefers gaining experience by playing the game rather than popping consumables.

As to waypoints, maybe the character the person wants to play on doesn’t have a waypoint anywhere near the area. The old dailies could be done on any character anywhere. The new way changes that.

I personally don’t have an issue with the new dailies, but I can see why others do.

Posted by: America.9437

America.9437

I think this is what everyone wants. I’d go a step further and reintroduce the general do-anywhere tasks like gatherer/event completer/veteran killer. That way if people want to go to Ascalon for a vista, they can, or they can still get the daily through their run of play.

But this defeats exactly what they were trying to accomplish. What they were trying to accomplish is anyone’s guess. Apparently the new player base likes it when they’re told exactly what to do and when to do it.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

“This isn’t about quicker, easier, it is about choice and not being led around on a leash”

Yes, but the premise of the daily system is – clearly, just look at them! – to make you do stuff you may not already be doing. Hence a system simply rewarding you for doing what you already do would be pointless. It is, so the devs simplified that part to the log-in rewards now.

And then replaced the dailies with what they originally said they wanted dailies to do.

Well.. I say if a game needs to lead a ‘person’ into doing anything, then I would say you’ve got bigger problems with your game than your willing to admit, because a player should by definition be enjoying that content anyway regardless of what rewards you might or might not have, and is the same problem I have with PvP.

The PvP is good enough to stand on its own feet by itself it doesn’t need coerce either passively or by force, but yet they develop systems that do so to the inconvenience of players whom have already decided that they do not want a part of that world.

MMOs are restrictive by nature because of many factors too numerous for even this thread, we don’t need to start adding to the problem.

Is quicker though, today: login – click – i – double click – double click – alt+f4

Server: Gate of Madness

(edited by aerial.7021)

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

I’m a PVE player and this change to dailies is a drastic step back. Seriously, who thought of this?

In the past, PVE players can easily accomplish the dailies, just by participating in several public events, and public events is a strong suit of GW2; the dailies and public events complements each other well enough.

Now with the new system in space, we have to accomplish very specific missions. Instead of broad, general objectives, we are given very specific instructions on what to do, it’s a CHORE.

I read the “Introducing the New Daily Achievement System” article and just couldn’t comprehend just how these changes reinforce that manifesto Anet is aiming for; they want player to experience content variation, but forcing players to partake in very specific missions/objective is not the way to achieve that, it just feels repetitive, grindy; to top it off, some of these chores are freaking mundane (for instance, go gather some wood in kryta region, seriously wtf ?!?).

Posted by: Siltoneus.7138

Siltoneus.7138

All I can say is that this is the first time in a long time where I logged in and just… didn’t feel like playing. I looked at my daily list and saw nothing that interested me. Felt miffed that ANet is pushing the laurel on me just to sign in, complained a bit on chat, and then logged back out.

I haven’t been this unmotivated since my original guild drifted away to other games, and now I sorta feel like I’m about to go the same way.

Amen there. I as well logged in, saw that screwed up Dailies, and said ‘Frick it’. Told my friends who were considering coming back to GW2 to think twice about it as ANet just screwed up the game royally.

And yes, I feel completely justified in badmouthing it to my friends. If the designers screw up, then I call them on it.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

forcing players

Nobody is forcing you to do the dailies. Nobody is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

the design philosophy behind the previous dailies was that you get them as you play, playing whatever you want… as long as youre playing for like an hour, youll get enough of them to get your laurel.

the design philosophy behind this iteration of dailies seems to be to get us to do things we might happen to do, but normally probably wouldnt. so completing the new dailies means i have to go out of my way in order to get them at all, much less in a timely manner that doesnt feel onerous. there is no concurrency, because each piece requires gameplay that does not coincide with any of the others, so we cant even work on several at once by doing a single run of something.

overall, i dislike this iteration because of the isolation of each daily. i think its a good paradigm to offer only a set amount of cheevo points upon completion as opposed to 1 for each piece. i think its really really good to offer tomes of knowledge for some of them. i think its really good to add in more variety to the pool of dailies that exist, but that there are too few options available each day. i liked being able to just play how i want and get my dailies. now i cant do that as much. i have to try for them.

Are you sure that was the intent of their design philosophy?

This is from near release where they stated their intent of the daily system.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

Please show me where they said that their intention had changed as I do not remember it.

oh, i hadnt checked in on this thread..

perhaps im skewing my timeline of memory. a long time ago, there were more of the highly specific dailies, especially pve related ones. people complained that the dailies felt like a chore, because they were jumping through hoops just to get the reward. so anets done a couple balance passes on the daily cheevos. if you remember, underwater slayer used to be almost every day for a long time… but since the last balance pass it was largely eliminated. underwater combat is mostly out the way of normal play patterns. i rather felt like the last iteration was at a good place where i could hop and and be motivated to play for an hour and get the daily without trying for it specifically.

idk, the log in reward reduces it to 30 seconds for loading time, then i look at the dailies offered and pick the 3 that require almost no effort (but arent generally something i want to do) just to get some cheevo points.

ok, sure, i get more rewards.. but is that really necessary? im not sure. showering me with candy isnt gonna make me desire it, but taking it away sure does. and yeah, its really great to get portable experience in new ways (which is a huge highlight of this)… but i think the system has missed the mark. even though it has a lot going for it. it feels like its imposing on my gameplay experience instead of adding to it, more so than the iteration we just left. maybe i need to get used to it. maybe its just me getting tired of the grind/game.

just some thoughts.

this thread sure is long for something that is a largely welcomed change.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

forcing players

Nobody is forcing you to do the dailies. Nobody is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to.

Don’t change the context of my statement, it is dismissive and adds nothing to the discussion, it’s insulting. If you do not have an adequate counter-argument, why even reply? Nobody is forcing you to reply to my message.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

So I used to login, work on the daily, and then during the process, I would usually run into someone to do more stuff with and play the game a while. Now I login, get the daily login reward, look at the list of stuff to do for the rest of the daily, go meh, and log right back out.

WvW isn’t bad because you can just play normal WvW and get it easy. However, I play WvW when I’m in the mood for it. I don’t want to play it every day. I don’t know about PvP, haven’t tried it. PvE isn’t normal game play. It’s artificial go here, and then go there, and then now go do that over there. It’s a list of chores, not a “get it during normal game play.”

It feels like you are trying to drive people out of PvE to WvW or PvP. I like WvW but I don’t like a game trying to boss me around. I think you need to add more choices back in.

And seriously, isn’t it enough to have a megaserver, now you have to funnel the mega into ONE zone. Lag, lag, lag.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I do wish that somewhere in their list of changes they had made sure that any of them were fun.

Heading out to vistas I’ve seen many times already, hitting esc, and then heading home is not fun.

Heading to the region of the day to harvest stuff I don’t need is not fun.

Sitting around waiting for the timer on world bosses I’ve fought more times than I can count is not fun.

Heading back to areas I’ve already completed to do a handful of events, none of which are new to me, also not all that fun.

Not that I really considered the old system fun, but at least it got done while I was leveling new characters or spending time in the Grindwastes.

I do love the posts about working for the rewards. Most of the PVE dailies require little to no work. They just waste your time. Aside from the AP, which is the only reason I do them at all now, there aren’t more rewards to this new daily system. Least not for me. None of the chests those dailies have given me has had anything I’d consider remotely useful.

Its just more boxes to click on, cause they love stuffing our inventories with godkitten containers to open. Especially the wintersday ones that have containers inside the containers.

I suppose there is one upside to it though. I can log out of the game faster now, since they take less time.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Wow, I’m surprised at all the people complaining because the dailies aren’t so face roll easy anymore.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

forcing players

Don’t change the context of my statement, it is dismissive and adds nothing to the discussion, it’s insulting. If you do not have an adequate counter-argument, why even reply? Nobody is forcing you to reply to my message.

It is an adequate counter argument. Nobody is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to. Dailies are optional. If you don’t like how they are done now, don’t do them. You’ll still get all of your rewards minus the AP just for logging in. And if you really cared about the AP, then you would’ve been “forced” to go into all the same content anyways because you can’t get all the AP by not going into all the things.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I’m a PVE player and this change to dailies is a drastic step back. Seriously, who thought of this?

In the past, PVE players can easily accomplish the dailies, just by participating in several public events, and public events is a strong suit of GW2; the dailies and public events complements each other well enough.

Now with the new system in space, we have to accomplish very specific missions. Instead of broad, general objectives, we are given very specific instructions on what to do, it’s a CHORE.

I read the “Introducing the New Daily Achievement System” article and just couldn’t comprehend just how these changes reinforce that manifesto Anet is aiming for; they want player to experience content variation, but forcing players to partake in very specific missions/objective is not the way to achieve that, it just feels repetitive, grindy; to top it off, some of these chores are freaking mundane (for instance, go gather some wood in kryta region, seriously wtf ?!?).

I had to go to one vista, how will I ever recover from the grind?

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

As opposed to the angry, rage-filled, bile-slinging comments from every negative nancy who can’t simply say,
‘I don’t like this and here’s why…’

No. It must always be…
‘I HATE THIS! And if you don’t agree with me, you are nothing but a putrid White Knight fanboi and I’m going to argue anything you say by repeating myself louder and with more vitriol every time you comment!!!1!1 YOU SUCK ANEEEEET!! GG FOR RUINING THE GAME!!!!’

/facepalm

I dunno. Doesn’t seem to be a terrible, apocalyptic change to me like some are acting like it is here.

Your response sounds as apocalyptic as those you speak about… : )

And your ad hominem, smarmy comment proves what, exactly?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

But this defeats exactly what they were trying to accomplish. What they were trying to accomplish is anyone’s guess. Apparently the new player base likes it when they’re told exactly what to do and when to do it.

They’re no more told what to do than every other achievement in the game.

cheshirefox.7026

that may have actually sounded clever if there was only 1 zone in the game

i can outswim a centaur!

Posted by: SSGroguey.5841

SSGroguey.5841

After 3 sets of dailies I’m on the fence with the new system. On the one hand, it’s nice that they’re trying to get people to go to certain places and do things, explore new content, etc. But on the other hand, I find the new set of dailies limiting. I think if the new system had 1 or 2 more options for each category that’d be better.

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

To those who still cling to their whiny ways, I’d like for you to think about something:

Think about the various groups of players, what they enjoy and so on. I’ll give you some examples: PvPers, WvWers, Puzzle Jumpers!, Sit-around-LA-and-chatters, Dungeon Runners, and of course, yourselves, casual wander-around-the-mappers. How did these various groups fair under the old system? How do they fair under the new system?

Once you’ve given that some thought, is the tiny (and yes, requiring a 5 minute investment of your time is TINY) possible rise in the effort required of you not worth the massive benefit towards the more marginalized groups?

I think you (and some white knights blindly defending this) miss the issue. People could come in in before and get their dailies done with very little effort by doing what they wanted to do. Now they are being forced into other maps and get forced to do things they otherwise wouldn’t. It was enjoyable before/ now it isn’t.

Which people?

AP Hunters? Nope.

PvPers? Nope.

WvWers? Nope.

Puzzle Jumpers? Nope.

La-Chatters? Nope.

Dungeon Runners? Nope.

There was only one group of people doing what you describe, the casual wander around the map aimlessly people. And for those people, it’s just a 5 minute or so increase on their time doing other things if they are unwilling to try new things. For all the other groups, they were already having to wander outside of their preferred zones, sometimes for several hours (In the case of AP hunters).

huh???
dungeon running, wvw and pvp all individually would get the dailies done in less than half an hour in the past.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t mind the new dailies. They’re mostly much, much quicker and easier than dailies before, and you only need to do 3. Whereas before, it would take me 1-2 hours to get all my daily AP, now it takes me <10 mins.

The only issue I have is with dailies requiring something on a long timer, like a World Boss. I don’t feel the need to do those myself, but I can understand how it would frustrate people with a short play time.

Bellizare.5816

that may have actually sounded clever if there was only 1 zone in the game

I am trying to understand you. I am unclear as to the long term impact of these significant game changes. In the short run, the number of high level players routed to Queensdale in order to log a bit, made appropriate level content easier for zone appropriate people to achieve.

My feeling is that daily targets like this will lead to concentration of force at low level zones.

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

Exactly what would you lose if you did not do the daily achievement period? It takes much less time to get 10 AP than it did before the update. AP is the only reward now for doing the 3 dailies as the laurels and random gem store items got moved to the daily login reward system. If you did not go out of your way before to get all of the AP prior to the update, it’s reasonable safe to assume that AP is not really that important to you. Especially that it seems a lot of people liked to casually play the game doing their own thing and get the AP as they played rather than do tasks that directly rewarded the AP.

If don’t care about the AP you get from doing the daily, why are you doing it? If you do care about the AP from the daily, why didn’t you farm them all before the update?

Doing the daily before the update would reward 5 AP as you did 5 achievements that awarded 1 AP each. Now, you can do 3 achievements and get 10 AP. You do a fraction of the achievements that you had to do before and quite a number of those achievements are actually easier and quicker to do than they were before.

That’s some pretty ridiculous black-and-white strawman you’ve got.

He got 5-8 with his “normal play”, and now that same normal play gets him 0. Are you really trying to tell him he has no right to complain about grind since he didn’t grind beyond his normal play before?

Before: 10 achievements = 10 AP
Now: 3 achievements = 10 AP

Which one is better? Hmmm….

The achievements take 10 minutes at most to do enough for your daily. The only reward now for doing the daily is AP. If you didn’t care enough to go out of your way (even just a little) to get the other AP before the update, then why does the AP even matter now?

Before, I didn’t care if I didn’t get 10 AP, so STILL using that as an argument STILL has no validity.

Before = getting how ever many achievement points from playing how I wanted to, be it zero, one, two, or whatever
Now = I get none because of the hassle of dealing with overly restrictive and specific daily items, because it is now an all or nothing deal.

The reason it matters now is because I AM NOT GETTING ANY AP, WHEN BEFORE I WAS. Why is it you have so much trouble seeing this?

Which one is better? Hmmm….

Getting a choice of what dailies I do, if I choose to do them from playing how I like to play and possibly getting less achievement points in the process than the entire 10. Some is better than none.

Posted by: Echo.7402

Echo.7402

Agree: Daily Quests – No longer for casual players

I have played GW2 for a very long time. I have seen guilds come and go. I have seen other players come and go. I still enjoyed even for a few hours jumping in the game and working on completing the daily quest set. The recent changes make it nearly impossible for non-high level, non PVP players to complete them. Last night I signed in and tried to check out some quests and items but needed a group I could not find. I seen tonight again the daily quests require groups, PVP style or high level characters.
Maybe you could have a tiered daily quest option. If it continues I will find another place to spend my limited online time. It has been great these last few years. Thanks to all the great folks I met along the way.

Lyssan.3768

Just gonna repeat this:

@Lyssan

What purpose do you believe daily achievements should serve, if any?

You apparently asked again before I had a chance to respond to the first one I guess. Read my post answering your question the first time.

Lyssan.3768

Just gonna repeat this:

@Lyssan

1. rewards
2. get players to play

The problem is not with 1 but with 2.
Sure it’s quicker. More rewards for more restriction and less fun.
It’s awful.

Given that aside from AP, you actually get more rewards now just for showing up (laurels, and everything else in the 28 day track), without needing to complete any of the dailies, you could play EXACTLY the way you would have pre-patch and still be as well off if not better off than you were pre-patch.

So the people who, like me, used the daily items to help with leveling alt chars should now be happy that they have less choices on doing that, less total line items that they would get experience from, so I am not seeing the “well off if not better off” side you claim is there.

Lyssan.3768

There are still 12 choices… not choosing something is not the same thing as no choice.

The old system had 2 PvP, 2WvW and 6 PvE ones.Now it’s 4 of each.
PvE players had a lot of choices… People in PvP and WvW had none.Now it’s 4 of each which brings the different mode on more equal footing.

The new system gives you 10AP for 3, plus additional rewards, plus a reward for just logging on. There is 4 PvE related dailys that are slighly more specific, you don’t have to step out of PvE to get your daily and you get more rewards.

12 choices from PvE to 4 choices from PvE IS less choice, no matter how you try to work it to make sense, just as 12 choices from PvP to 4 choices from PvP is less choice. A more generic “gather any 20 things (obviously mats here)” to “gather 5 wood” is less choice as well.

Lyssan.3768

How about this change just for the PvE-only players that want to opt to the older system.

You get 10 achievements that award 1 AP each. All of the instant completion achievements are removed such as the karma and laurel ones.

I was okay up to this point.

Those really aren’t PvE anyway since you just talk to an NPC. If you do all 10 of these achievements through your normal play then okay but if not, you’re SOL.

…annnnnnd now you’re back at it again with your black-and-white, all-or-nothing BS.

Why should you get the same benefits as those willing to try other areas of the game? What you’re getting is exactly the old system. The only things you’re not getting is the completion for doing 5 daily achievements which were moved to the login reward system.

Besides, in the old system there was only 8 PvE achievements so you’re actually benefiting with the additional 2 PvE achievements.

IDK about how anyone else feels on this, but I already covered this. I am aware that there are people who WILL go ahead and do more of the dailies, to achieve that max possible for the day. Let me say it again in another way, I AM FINE WITH PEOPLE WHO DO MORE THAN I DO GETTING MORE REWARD FOR THEIR MORE EFFORT. I never said I wanted the same benefits as them, but now somehow you want the same max level as someone else who was doing more work for them with less work, and yet we are the ones who are wrong with this.

“What we are getting is the old system?” No chance in hell, this is nothing like the old system. If they kept the choice for the player to do what they wanted to for their “daily achievement” even if they made it less total quantity that would be closer, but it still wouldn’t be the old system. Do you think this would be anywhere near as much of an issue if the players had choice and didn’t have Anet constantly kittening with stuff to encourage people to try other parts of the game?

cheshirefox.7026

sorry, thought you were being sarcastic.. anyway, this is turning out to be one of those hijacked and flooded threads like the pre-patch complain thread was.. z_z yes there was a pre-patch complain thread

i can outswim a centaur!

Olvendred.3027

Lyssan: you get all the AP for a tiny fraction of the time spent previously.

What this means, is that you can use all the rest of your time however you want. Apparently your preferred way of spending time is getting angry on forums, and well, now you can get the daily and still have many happy hours to spend on that. Good news all round, I think.

Lyssan.3768

For those of you arguing that the new system is more restrictive, why do you feel compelled to do the dailies at all? This is a serious question by the way. You’re obviously not AP hunters, as AP hunters have been begging for a change like this for years. Why can you not simply forgo the daily achievements?

Because apparently the people who were doing the dailies by default for their less than 10 or 12 or whatever the daily cap was apparently don’t count, and the fact that they might have been interested in getting achievement points, although at a slower pace than some others apparently doesn’t mean kitten. Guess what, even though I might not be an AP hunter by your definition, I DID get achievement points for the daily items I completed, the monthlies I completed, and the specificaly(sp?) named ACHIEVEMENT POINTS. So to me, and to others I am sure, getting some achievement points is obviously better than getting none.

Bellizare.5816

sorry, thought you were being sarcastic.. anyway, this is turning out to be one of those hijacked and flooded threads like the pre-patch complain thread was.. z_z yes there was a pre-patch complain thread

No Problemo fox.

I seewahtcha mean.

Lyssan.3768

Just gonna repeat this:

@Lyssan

1. rewards
2. get players to play

The problem is not with 1 but with 2.
Sure it’s quicker. More rewards for more restriction and less fun.
It’s awful.

Given that aside from AP, you actually get more rewards now just for showing up (laurels, and everything else in the 28 day track), without needing to complete any of the dailies, you could play EXACTLY the way you would have pre-patch and still be as well off if not better off than you were prepatch?

Perhaps you couldn’t read or something, like many said, it’ not about the reward. It’a bout how you get that reward. Being forced to certain area to complete dailies to get more ap ==> less fun, even if it’s quicker.

Perhaps you couldn’t read or something, my point is that even if you just showed up every day and did the things you liked, ignored the things you didn’t, sometimes get the daily, sometimes not, because of the more generous rewards that you get just for showing up, you are still coming out ahead compared to where you would be under the old system playing exactly the same way.

Lol keep drinking the koolaid. You are the one who can’t read. You still insisting and talking about rewards. It’s not about coming out ahead on rewards comparing to previous system.
It’s about CHOICES and HOW YOU GET THAT REWARDS.
It is certainly more restrictive and less fun now albeit far quicker and more rewards.

If it’s not about the rewards, why can’t you ignore the rewards and play the way you like while still passively receiving them anyway?

That is the point, you DON’T just passively receive the same as before. Before, passively by your incorrect definition, I received varying number of achievement points just by playing how I wanted to. Now, because of the all or nothing approach using the stick of severely restricting both the quantity available and the conditions (location, item, etc) required to get those same rewards that before I just got from playing the game before how I chose to.

This argument is not as simple as the all or nothing approach Anet took with the dailies, and it is not all just about the rewards or all just about the ease (by a limited number of people) of getting the dailies done.

Lyssan.3768

Also, can we please stop with the “LOLNEWPLAYERTRYINGTOGETTOSILVERWASTE” argument? You don’t need to go to Silverwaste to complete the daily for a newplayer, because a newplayer only needs to complete 1 of the achievements to get credit. That could be looking at a vista, or gathering some wood.

Fair enough, but given the style of the restrictions (both geo and item) that seem to be the case on the PvE dailies, I am reasonably sure that sooner or later they will have a situation where to be able to complete even that one thing, they will not be able to do it. Isn’t it much better to not even have a chance of that happening over the very real possibility that it could occur? There are no guarantees that these dailies will every single day have that as the only options.

The point before, as now, still stands. More options benefits more players. And I am not just talking about expanding the choices for just one aspect of the game, I mean all of them, PvP and WvW included.

Lyssan.3768

I definitely agree that the choices feel restrictive, hopefully they tweak them a bit for future dailies. Overall I think players will be satisfied, as this change is exactly what a lot of us asked for.

I sure as kitten didn’t ask for this change. And I was too busy playing the game to lurk on the forums everyday to even see if they asked us. Because I would have been thoroughly against this change.

I think some of you are missing the forest for the trees, so to speak. At worst, if one absolutely does not want to complete the dailies, they’ll lose out on 10 AP. Not a big whoop either way.

On the other hand, we’re getting loads of amazing stuff just for showing up!

Seriously, you just log in and collect stuff. How are you guys not psyched about this?

Uhm, because it devalues the actually earned items that people actually did work to earn? It is like you scrimping and saving and spending your hard earned money on a kick kitten one of a kind car you special ordered, then 2 days later, your next door neighbor has the exact same car and they only paid like $100 for it.

At worst before, if people actively tried to achieve the dailies before or not, they earned probably 1-2 to maybe as many as enough for the daily achievement by doing nothing other than what they were going to do anyway. Where as now, they would be missing out, as you said, on the entire 10 AP. IDK about you, but me personally, I am perfectly fine with getting 1-2 achievement points over none at all.

To me, more options in this game is a better idea than less, and I for one do not appreciate the efforts Anet has made to try to force me and others into other parts of the game, starting with, I believe, requiring the WvW maps to be done for 100% map completion.

Correction: If you were only getting 1-2 AP before, then you’re ahead now, because while you’re not getting 1-2 AP anymore, you’re getting laurels, as well as the other stuff in the track.

So I should be happy with getting basically kittened out of the 1-2 achievement points I got from doing stuff I enjoyed from the dailies before, because now I can go through all this hassle and bullkitten to get even more? Oh great, why couldn’t we have had all this wonderful not fun way of doing things earlier?

Lyssan.3768

I guess you missed where I posted that I was doing the dailies for the exp on my alts, you know, not level 80 yet. Due to the NPE grind. And that I absolutely detest PvP. And prior to this fiasco, it didn’t matter what level you character was at, you could complete the PvE dailies.

Isn’t the exp gained from dailies more or less negligible? Login rewards give 10 free levels via Tomes of Knowledge on the 27th login. Not a bad trade-off, imo.

Which I could have gotten more than that before from doing dailies, and exploring in the area if I didn’t have it yet and the daily called for it, and events, and running around with guildies who were also working on a new char, and didn’t have all the areas yet. So yea, getting less instead of more IS a bad trade off.

- Exploring an area
- Events
-Running around with guildies

Which of these are you no longer able to do?

The easier possibility of getting achievement points while doing those, which you conveniently left out of that list.

Lyssan.3768

For those of you arguing that the new system is more restrictive, why do you feel compelled to do the dailies at all? This is a serious question by the way. You’re obviously not AP hunters, as AP hunters have been begging for a change like this for years. Why can you not simply forgo the daily achievements?

Because it’s fun to have a target when playing game, AP is one of them. Hence, i want to have fun while hunting for AP.
The problem with new system is: it is restrictive, which suck the fun out of it.

So… you want to “Hunt AP” while doing absolutely nothing outside of your norm? That’s not hunting, that’s being spoonfed.

And only doing 3 things to get 10 points isn’t when you had to do 10 things to get those points before. Stop trying to use that to justify your view of it, because it just has no value. In fact, it kind of helps the side of the discussion we are on. I take it back, keep using it and helping to hurt your side.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I guess you missed where I posted that I was doing the dailies for the exp on my alts, you know, not level 80 yet. Due to the NPE grind. And that I absolutely detest PvP. And prior to this fiasco, it didn’t matter what level you character was at, you could complete the PvE dailies.

Isn’t the exp gained from dailies more or less negligible? Login rewards give 10 free levels via Tomes of Knowledge on the 27th login. Not a bad trade-off, imo.

Which I could have gotten more than that before from doing dailies, and exploring in the area if I didn’t have it yet and the daily called for it, and events, and running around with guildies who were also working on a new char, and didn’t have all the areas yet. So yea, getting less instead of more IS a bad trade off.

- Exploring an area
- Events
-Running around with guildies

Which of these are you no longer able to do?

The easier possibility of getting achievement points while doing those, which you conveniently left out of that list.

So what you are asking for is a short cut….When Anet gave the players a free reward for just loging and making it easier to get 10AP by doing only 3 dailies isntead of 10,they had to change something in the formula.Deal with it

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Lyssan.3768

Wow people are really defending this change… I didn’t realize the game had sunk so low that something like this is actually defensible….

Same could be said about those against the change.

Yea, except I think the common sense view says that taking away options (which Anet has now done twice to the daily achievements) is usually less desirable than adding more options, or in some cases leaving the available options alone. So the “same thing could be said about those against the change” part really doesn’t hold up.

Oh, that and the fact that people are in here spending so much time complaining about the kittenup Anet did to the dailies instead of working on those dailies, because they now suck, should tell you something. And yes I did try the new dailies system.

The only part about the opposition to the new system that I agree with is that it took away options. However, I believe that the 10 AP by doing just 3 achievements, and that they’re quicker to do, more than make up for it.

People complain for various reasons. Many people have complained without even trying it. Other people complain just to complain. Just because people complain doesn’t mean that it’s inherently a bad update. People are more likely to complain than praise.

Quicker to do, like getting to level 80 to get to be able to survive Silverwastes? That’s quicker how again?

I am not complaining just to complain, I am complaining with specific points listed, and just because some people are defending this doesn’t automatically make it a good update either.

Also, as far as the less likely to praise, as I posted elsewhere, if you see something wrong and don’t say anything, that mus mean that you are OK with it. If I see something worthy of praise, I will do so, and have done here and in map chat. Some of the improvements they have done were actual improvements. Wardrobe skins and acct wide dyes are a portion, though even things with that need to still be fixed.

I’m not talking about new players. Only a small percentage of the player base doesn’t have at least one level 80.

More options benefits more players, period. Doesn’t matter what level chars they have or how many or how long they have been playing.

Doing less work to get more rewards (all 10 AP at once like it is with the new system) devalues those rewards despite many repeated (and failed) attempts by the people who are OK with this system to say otherwise.

Those are my two basic and main complaints with this latest kittenup of the daily system. It is more of the all-or-nothing type of argument that many of you are using to support your views of this.

Olvendred.3027

Wow people are really defending this change… I didn’t realize the game had sunk so low that something like this is actually defensible….

Same could be said about those against the change.

Yea, except I think the common sense view says that taking away options (which Anet has now done twice to the daily achievements) is usually less desirable than adding more options, or in some cases leaving the available options alone. So the “same thing could be said about those against the change” part really doesn’t hold up.

Oh, that and the fact that people are in here spending so much time complaining about the kittenup Anet did to the dailies instead of working on those dailies, because they now suck, should tell you something. And yes I did try the new dailies system.

The only part about the opposition to the new system that I agree with is that it took away options. However, I believe that the 10 AP by doing just 3 achievements, and that they’re quicker to do, more than make up for it.

People complain for various reasons. Many people have complained without even trying it. Other people complain just to complain. Just because people complain doesn’t mean that it’s inherently a bad update. People are more likely to complain than praise.

Quicker to do, like getting to level 80 to get to be able to survive Silverwastes? That’s quicker how again?

I am not complaining just to complain, I am complaining with specific points listed, and just because some people are defending this doesn’t automatically make it a good update either.

Also, as far as the less likely to praise, as I posted elsewhere, if you see something wrong and don’t say anything, that mus mean that you are OK with it. If I see something worthy of praise, I will do so, and have done here and in map chat. Some of the improvements they have done were actual improvements. Wardrobe skins and acct wide dyes are a portion, though even things with that need to still be fixed.

I’m not talking about new players. Only a small percentage of the player base doesn’t have at least one level 80.

More options benefits more players, period. Doesn’t matter what level chars they have or how many or how long they have been playing.

Doing less work to get more rewards (all 10 AP at once like it is with the new system) devalues those rewards despite many repeated (and failed) attempts by the people who are OK with this system to say otherwise.

Those are my two basic and main complaints with this latest kittenup of the daily system. It is more of the all-or-nothing type of argument that many of you are using to support your views of this.

So, essentially: you want rewards that are available without having to put any extra effort in, so that you can feel a greater sense of accomplishment from having achieved something? Got it.

Lyssan.3768

Because it’s fun to have a target when playing game, AP is one of them. Hence, i want to have fun while hunting for AP.
The problem with new system is: it is restrictive, which suck the fun out of it.

So… you want to “Hunt AP” while doing absolutely nothing outside of your norm? That’s not hunting, that’s being spoonfed.

What are you smoking? On the contrary, this new system actually more synonymous with your “spoonfed” term. Log in do nothing for rewards, do less, more restriction for more rewards.

You have to do and can do more things while hunting for AP on old system. You can choose where and how to complete them. Dungeons, WvW, spvp, fractals, roaming world event. It certainly not spoonfed and more flexible.

Do I really need to go back and quote how many times you and Lyssan said it takes you 0 minutes of effort because you’re just doing your own thing and happen to get the AP under the old system?

I never said that it takes 0 effort, and I have seen others actually say it takes 0 extra effort because they were doing them already, but somehow you getting more points for doing less work (playing the game even as we choose to DOES count as effort and actually earning the points we get) instead of just getting them, how was it you worded it elsewhere? Oh yes “spoonfed” to you.

Lyssan.3768

Also, can we please stop with the “LOLNEWPLAYERTRYINGTOGETTOSILVERWASTE” argument? You don’t need to go to Silverwaste to complete the daily for a newplayer, because a newplayer only needs to complete 1 of the achievements to get credit. That could be looking at a vista, or gathering some wood.

Of the two achieves that you could possibly do as a low level character, each was set in a specific map that many lowbies might not have and might not even be feasible for them to get to if they’re just starting out. Having only four very specific tasks for PvE dailies is incredibly restricting any way you look at it. Yeah, you can supplement with PvP or WvW, but why build a system that forces players into content? They should discover and experience those aspects of the game at their own pace. It seems like a lot of the adventure and discovery of the game has disappeared, only to be replaced with ANet’s heavy handed attempts to shepherd us through areas of the game that they feel need more traffic.

And honestly, that’s what bugs me the most: that I’m being coerced into something. I can even ignore the dailies, to be honest, but its the login rewards that have me eyeing the uninstall option. I mean, getting former daily rewards, that required actual effort… just for logging in? It just feels like a ploy to boost logins, and I really don’t want to be a part of it.

…What are you talking about? A level 1 player can both gather wood in Kryta (Queensdale) and look at a Vista in Ascalon (Plains of Ashford, or even Black Citadel). And a new, level 1 player, only needs to complete 1 item from the entire list to receive the 10AP.

If they’re human or charr… or figure out to use the gate system in their home city.

There’s always google, or the wiki, but I’d recommend you do a little experiment instead. Stand in any starter zone or town, and type in mapchat, “I’m new, how do I get to Kryta?” Then tell us how long it takes for someone to tell you, or even show you the way.

If I have to leave the game to search the web, or another player has to lead me through content to show me how it works, then that aspect of your game has failed. And here ANet has failed.

It completely breaks immersion. Not only that, but expecting low level characters to schlep all the way across Tyria to gather wood for a daily just seems ridiculously awkward. Talk about not playing how you want. Why can’t I gather materials in the area I’m progressing through now?

Not to mention that Anet has had the wonderful idea of removing ALL of the gathering nodes from the starter/low level area of all of the races’ starter maps.

Lyssan.3768

And you also lose the laurels you would have otherwise earned by choosing to get those tomes

And I assure you, over the course of many months (where you can mix up your choice of tomes and laurels), you’ll get at least the same amount of both. Additionally, not getting achievements for gathering, events, etc, does not prevent you from doing so and getting the experience anyways.

Seriously, why are you arguing with me when it should be crystal clear what my general opinion of these changes are?

I simply pointed out that mathematically the guy is not losing exp by not being able to do the full daily on his alt, and in fact may even gain more in the long run.

Wasn’t arguing, was stating a point of view. But apparently people who have different points of view are automatically “arguing”. And my post was meant as a support to your side as it seems to be the same as mine on many of the points.

Lyssan.3768

I for one do not appreciate the efforts Anet has made to try to force me and others into other parts of the game, starting with, I believe, requiring the WvW maps to be done for 100% map completion.

Anet has made not one single effort to force you into anything. Ever.

Requiring the WvW maps as part of the world map completion, removing choices (twice now) from the dailies list. They call it encouraging people to try other parts of the game, I call it by the name it should be called by, attempted forcing. But technically you are correct, they are also not forcing me to play a game that I used to enjoy more, but less so now because they are repeatedly removing more and more choices.