Those Poor Black Lion NPCs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’m not sure if it’s changed lately, but if I recall correctly, those NPCs that get summoned for the temporary TP/Merchant Expresses fall over and die after they expire. I remember seeing that and was like “dude, I caused him to die because I wanted to sell stuff!”

Doesn’t anyone find that disturbing that the Black Lion company is working its workers to death!?! Literally.

Somehow I find that immersive.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

It would only be immersive if you summoned him under water.

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

I know what you mean. On my Ranger, I feel so bad when my pet gets hurt and limps. I am SUCH a bad Smokescale mom.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I have the Privateer runes on one of my characters, which summons a Parrot (actually a Tropical Bird), and when the bird’s time is up, he falls to the ground and dies. It makes me feel bad every time. I’d much rather he just pop out of existence or fade away.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

I know what you mean. On my Ranger, I feel so bad when my pet gets hurt and limps. I am SUCH a bad Smokescale mom.

When mushroom corpses explode and my pet flops around, I always laugh and then feel guilty. It’s especially comical with wyverns.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Doesn’t anyone find that disturbing that the Black Lion company is working its workers to death!?! Literally.

I think you’re tying yourself up in knots worrying about Evon Gnashblade’s technological innovation, a mail carrier that looks like a person. They aren’t working their employees to death, they are conserving energy by allowing the projection to expire.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think you’re tying yourself up in knots worrying about Evon Gnashblade’s technological innovation, a mail carrier that looks like a person. They aren’t working their employees to death, they are conserving energy by allowing the projection to expire.

That’s what the PR claims, but I am skeptical. On the other hand, I suppose Kiel and crew have been spreading a lot of lies on Evon.

That does kind of suck, as it suggests failure. But at least there’s something related to the nature of combat and self-defense that there will be causalities. There’s a difference between leaving the line on the tombstone “died protecting owner from ravenous beasts” as opposed to “died after purchasing minor sigils”

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t see why we need to be concerned about them except as they are a symptom of a larger problem. They’re obviously short term contract workers from another dimension whose visa expired and they were deported back to their native reality. The Queen should be asked that a committee be formed to investigate if all taxes are being paid and if the visas were legally submitted and processed. I suspect Mr Gnashblade has not paid all taxes or followed all rulings since he’s so anxious to get his employees out of reach of any questions once their job is finished.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

After all those tragic deaths I witnessed, I had to run away from it all… to far mountains. I returned after years of education in a group of wise monks who lived there.

Now I’m a part of a religion where we believe dead spirits will not cease to exist, but instead are re-born into something else. Now, when I see a Black Lion merchant fall over, I kneel beside his body and happily bid him farewell and good luck on his new journey.

Can totally recommend. Go to mountains, talk to monks, get religious and come back as a happy person.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

We’re actually summoning Mist workers, former members of the Black Lion Trading Company that expired when originally establishing the trade routes. With a bit of necromancy, we are able to summon them back temporarily to exchange goods for money. So it’s not so much that they die but are returned to the Mists.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I feel sad when ambient creatires get caught in the crossfire.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

If you feel bad for the merchant, you should go to a starter zone and watch all the new kids mercilessly beat up birds and boars for no reason.
The only true lasting peace in this world is that between those born into the 5 races’ main cities.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

Yeah, they’re just charr pretending to be workpeople.
It’s perfectly legit. No one didn’t get what they deserved.

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I feel sad when ambient creatires get caught in the crossfire.

Yeah, this really hurts. I do what I can (via positioning, drawing mobs away, etc.) to avoid killing ambient creatures, but sometimes it just happens. In LOTRO, the Elf race could not kill ambient creatures (they were green to Elves), so rolling Elf was a surefire way to avoid causing all those little deaths. I would love if we had a race or class like that in GW2. Perhaps I am being silly…

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I don’t see why we need to be concerned about them except as they are a symptom of a larger problem. They’re obviously short term contract workers from another dimension whose visa expired and they were deported back to their native reality. The Queen should be asked that a committee be formed to investigate if all taxes are being paid and if the visas were legally submitted and processed. I suspect Mr Gnashblade has not paid all taxes or followed all rulings since he’s so anxious to get his employees out of reach of any questions once their job is finished.

This sounds like it should be a story arc, where we’re sent in to infiltrate and investigate the working conditions and practices of the Black Lion Trading company. No doubt we’ll discover, and have to stop, the use of an ancient inter-dimensional magic that’s creating rifts between worlds to bring workers through illegally. Who knows, maybe all the ley stuff happening is a side effect of it all? Perhaps the Black Lion Trading company are the real threat to Tyria!

Put the dragons on hold, this should be the new living story arc xD

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

This sounds like it should be a story arc, where we’re sent in to infiltrate and investigate the working conditions and practices of the Black Lion Trading company. No doubt we’ll discover, and have to stop, the use of an ancient inter-dimensional magic that’s creating rifts between worlds to bring workers through illegally. Who knows, maybe all the ley stuff happening is a side effect of it all? Perhaps the Black Lion Trading company are the real threat to Tyria!

Put the dragons on hold, this should be the new living story arc xD

Anet, make this happen.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I have the Privateer runes on one of my characters, which summons a Parrot (actually a Tropical Bird), and when the bird’s time is up, he falls to the ground and dies. It makes me feel bad every time. I’d much rather he just pop out of existence or fade away.

Reading your comment made me think of the whale in HHGTTG.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

But as bad as the BLTC is, are the Consortium any better? Perhaps they’re framin Evon, making it seem like he’s doing something shady so they can steal all of his business!