Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Well they said that we’d be getting an unidentified dye for each duplicate dye we have, so I’m assuming we keep the dyes we have. That’s why people are buying all the common dyes and putting them on multiple toons, to get more back on the feature pack release. But the commons are up ridiculously high too.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Actually that page is where the confusion starts from. Many people from the large thread are debating both ways based on two different paragraphs. I personally believe that we won’t need to learn it on a 3rd character post patch to unlock across the account, but those who do think so do have some legitimate wording to point to.

All I am asking for is ANET to clear up the confusion many people have.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Graka.9457

Graka.9457

Yes I have read that, multiple times, and there seems to be people getting two ideas from these specific lines

“When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.” The specific AFTER is the hook, does that mean you will only unlock colours by double clicking the dye after the patch, or will dyes you learned be retroactive cause

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.” Only states that if you already have that dye unlocked on more than one char you will get an unidentified dye from it, it doesnt say this dye that you already knew is now unlocked across all your characters.

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Actually that page is where the confusion starts from. Many people from the large thread are debating both ways based on two different paragraphs. I personally believe that we won’t need to learn it on a 3rd character post patch to unlock across the account, but those who do think so do have some legitimate wording to point to.

The video on that same page has the correct wording.

All the dyes you’ve collected on each of your characters is available for use”

There should be no confusion after watching the vid

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Or multiples of any of the other special gem store dyes?

Posted by: maestrochino.7104

maestrochino.7104

U get a Unid dye for each duplicate. All others will be merged into 1 pool.

Jade Quarry
Eternity, The Juggernaut, Kudzu…

Wildkitten.3872

Well they said that we’d be getting an unidentified dye for each duplicate dye we have, so I’m assuming we keep the dyes we have. That’s why people are buying all the common dyes and putting them on multiple toons, to get more back on the feature pack release. But the commons are up ridiculously high too.

See, but here is why the confusion is legitimate. When they made the gem store unlimited gathering tools account bound, they also kept the soulbound version in the game. If you wanted the account bound version you had to visit an NPC. Also, if multiple characters had these tools, you had to go to an NPC for a gem refund, assuming you wanted to.

Now, on the page where they talk about dye changes, there is this line…

“When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

That line does make it ambiguous about when a dye becomes account bound. I personally believe that since I know Celestial Dye on my Ele and on my Guardian that when I log in to my Ele that Celestial becomes account bound and when I go to my Guardian I will get an unid dye. However, based on the gathering tool precedent and the ambiguity of the above line from the dye page, I can see why some people think that you will need to unlock a dye on a character post patch to make it account bound and if you don’t, then only my Ele and Guardian would have Celestial.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

The video on that same page has the correct wording.

All the dyes you’ve collected on each of your characters is available for use”

There should be no confusion after watching the vid

Sorry, but the video does not explain this issue. It could still just as easily be collected post patch as pre patch.

When considering they didn’t automatically make unlimited use gathering tools already in game to be account bound when they made the changes, I think this is a legitimate question to be asking that needs a definitive answer to.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: moorindal.2635

moorindal.2635

A “fair system” would be for you to get no unidentified dyes at all. You’re already getting more than you deserve so be happy with it!

It’s like this:
6 months ago you bought 2 new computers and put 1 in one room and 1 in a second room. You paid $3,000 for those 2 new computers.

6 months ago I bought 1 new computer and put it in one room in my house. I paid $1,500 because I only got 1 computer.

Today, the computer company is calling you up to tell you that on 4/15, they will give you a new, free computer for every room in your house and on top of that, you’ll be getting a free random electronic device since you had bought 2 computers in the past. I’m also getting some free computers for every room in my house, but I’m not getting the free random electronic device because I only bought 1 computer in the past.

Now, you’re completely ignoring the fact that you are being given THOUSANDS of dollars worth of free stuff and are instead focusing on the fact that you don’t believe that the free random electronic device will be worth $1,500.

You are absolutely correct that ANET doesn’t need to give us anything, but they are. I was merely suggesting an alternative solution that may help to minimize grief.

Posted by: Felkes.2759

Felkes.2759

Anyone remember back at launch when people pointed at that this system is what they promised us dyes would be in the game? Way to go implementing it now guys. Now that so many of us have used dyes for specific characters all this time.
I can’t say I’m happy about unidentified dyes no longer being a drop either. It was hard enough to get the 250 for bifrost, now they’re only going to be event drops and mystic forge? Guess I can say goodbye to that legendary. -_-

Posted by: Azmarlio.7861

Azmarlio.7861

I like this new addition but the problem with this is people started to abuse the new information they got. So what happened now is all the common and uncommon dyes that are usually sold for coppers or a few silvers significantly increased the selling the amount by more or less a THOUSAND percent.

People seem to have the idea that when they unlock all the dyes on all of their toons, they will get a corresponding unidentified dye for each of the duplicate dyes they have in their account when they login to each of their toons.

For me, this sounds like an exploit.

Lucas Diamondshield
Philippine Heroes [Ph]

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

Things will stabilize once the price of the cheapest dyes reaches the price of an identified dye. We are nearing this.

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

I like this new addition but the problem with this is people started to abuse the new information they got. So what happened now is all the common and uncommon dyes that are usually sold for coppers or a few silvers significantly increased the selling the amount by more or less a THOUSAND percent.

People seem to have the idea that when they unlock all the dyes on all of their toons, they will get a corresponding unidentified dye for each of the duplicate dyes they have in their account when they login to each of their toons.

For me, this sounds like an exploit.

You keep calling it abuse.

I’ll call it a smart capitalist investment.

Posted by: Ryoujoku.8591

Ryoujoku.8591

Glad to see I’m not the only one currently freaking out about the “no longer a drop item” on unidentified dyes in relation to making Bifrost.

I’m not one of those people that like to buy materials for a hard craft on the Trading Post unless it’s a serious time sensitive “MUST HAVE IT NOW OR NEVER” kind of thing, so I’ve been slowly just hoarding them in my bank from drops. I’m sitting at 113 of the 250 I need. This means that I basically have until April 14th or so to finish farming what I can of them then have to drop gold on the trading post to finish out the difference or waste my laurels on them? That’s a bummer.

I seriously hope that the no longer a drop item bit is reconsidered prior to the patch. I’d take a drop rate reduction over a complete removal a lot better. If not, then please at least consider a change to the requirements for Gift of Color.

Tif.

Recalibar.6482

Glad to see I’m not the only one currently freaking out about the “no longer a drop item” on unidentified dyes in relation to making Bifrost.

I’m not one of those people that like to buy materials for a hard craft on the Trading Post unless it’s a serious time sensitive “MUST HAVE IT NOW OR NEVER” kind of thing, so I’ve been slowly just hoarding them in my bank from drops. I’m sitting at 113 of the 250 I need. This means that I basically have until April 14th or so to finish farming what I can of them then have to drop gold on the trading post to finish out the difference or waste my laurels on them? That’s a bummer.

I seriously hope that the no longer a drop item bit is reconsidered prior to the patch. I’d take a drop rate reduction over a complete removal a lot better. If not, then please at least consider a change to the requirements for Gift of Color.

Tif.

Yes, this is pretty much the only glaring problem that needs to be addressed. I wonder if they’ll remake the recipe or something. Aside from that, dye changes benefit everyone.

Posted by: Dave Shaw.2856

Dave Shaw.2856

I’d like to add my wonder to what will happen to people working on a Bifrost? Will unidentified dyes still be needed, or should we pop/sell them now before they lose value?

IGN: Himm Taeguk – [MILF]
Main: Human Elementalist
Server: Aurora Glade

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

See, but here is why the confusion is legitimate. When they made the gem store unlimited gathering tools account bound, they also kept the soulbound version in the game. If you wanted the account bound version you had to visit an NPC. Also, if multiple characters had these tools, you had to go to an NPC for a gem refund, assuming you wanted to.

“When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

That line does make it ambiguous about when a dye becomes account bound. I personally believe that since I know Celestial Dye on my Ele and on my Guardian that when I log in to my Ele that Celestial becomes account bound and when I go to my Guardian I will get an unid dye. However, based on the gathering tool precedent and the ambiguity of the above line from the dye page, I can see why some people think that you will need to unlock a dye on a character post patch to make it account bound and if you don’t, then only my Ele and Guardian would have Celestial.

I really fail to see what is ambiguous about it… It’ll work just the same as the wallet… Before, each character had its own gold, karma and dungeon tokens. When you logged in after that patch, while switching characters, that character’s gold. karma and dungeon tokens were added to the wallet.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

With the removal of Dye’s from the random drop table will there be any change to the requirement of 250 dyes for the Gift of Color?

Yes. We just received verification from Dev that we will be reducing the amount of unidentified dyes needed to 100.

Recalibar.6482

With the removal of Dye’s from the random drop table will there be any change to the requirement of 250 dyes for the Gift of Color?

Yes. We just received verification from Dev that we will be reducing the amount of unidentified dyes needed to 100.

Excellent, thank you.

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

I truly appreciate that we are getting uni dyes back for duplicates, but when it is one of the gemstore dyes (i.e. F&F, toxic, etc…) it would be nice to get a shot at those. Maybe put those dyes in as a rare chance from uni?

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

How is getting an unidentified dye from rare/gem shop specific dyes if a player has multiple of them fair to players? That’s a massive downgrade.

Sure it’s good if you have a lot of duplicate common dyes, but if some one went through the trouble to get something like deep glacial sky dye on multiple characters that’s horrid. Those are usually paying customers as well.

IMO they should give you the specific dye you had a duplicate of back or at least one of the same set & rarity. That seems far more appropriate.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Jaron.8103

Jaron.8103

A few questions:

Regarding the “free” dye that comes if I have the same dye unlocked on multiple chars: is there any guarantee that it will be of similar value to the duplicated one? I mean if someone has Abyss unlocked on two characters, and the replacement dye is only a Pink Ice or Butterscotch, I think they’d be a little ticked. At the very least these replacement dyes should be of the same rarity.

And I too think it’s a mistake to completely kill un-ID dye loot drops. Why not reduce drops by 50%? Yes, with dyes being account bound, overall demand will drop a little, but not completely. What in-game rewards will offer dye? Personal story? Dungeons? Fractals? Remember, if we don’t have a reliable source of acquiring dye, we don’t have anything that to feed to the Mystic Toilet. ( I suppose this is one way of making people spend more time cooking. )

Lastly, are you ever going to let us mix dyes like we could in GW1? THAT would be something to get excited over. Mix some dyes, then make that shade account bound.

Posted by: Eskarina Tigress.3785

Eskarina Tigress.3785

Well, this is good for me, at least, and I think we’re all entitled to some selfisness I happen to have found one celestial, one abyss, and several other very rare ones early on and sold the ones I’ve acquired later because they were just worth way too much gold and now I’ll get the dye for every toon AND keep the gold? Me likey!

Havent unlocked that many skins but, regardless, the change is nice, I’ve got a huge stockpile of transmutation thingies and I might finally get some use out of them now.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I see a few problems with this.

People have spent a lot of gold and real money getting expensive dyes for multiple characters. Specifically the unique limited time dyes.

And in return…we’ll be getting regular old unidentified dyes for repeates? That seems completely fair. Heavy sarcasm intended.

They may treat the duplicate specialty dyes differently – ie you get an unidentified dye from that specialty set. That’s not directly called out. However, maybe we can pop that question out there for the devs, or see if they field it during the livestream on Friday.

That doesn’t actually change much though.
What about the people with abyss and celestial unlocked on multiple character?
It would have made more sense to refund the specific color that is a duplicate(and maybe provide a MF recipe to turn those into unid dyes). The obvious problem with that is space. I am definitely not going to have enough space on any character for 200+ different dyes.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I don’t have too many dyes unlocked so far, even though I’ve played since beta. I was intending to buy more identified dyes to build up my collection. What do you guys think, should I get them now, or will the price drop after the update?

Posted by: Sagabatou.1076

Sagabatou.1076

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

Just an unidentified dye? With the pricing on dyes like Vincent or Celestial and buying it for multiple characters, is this really an even exchange? Seems like you lose way more gold when dyes become Account Bound (unless you stacked basic rarity dyes on all your characters, then that’s a different story). Though you can just farm the gold back for x amount, I feel like you don’t get back what you spend in the April patch.

Wildkitten.3872

I really fail to see what is ambiguous about it… It’ll work just the same as the wallet… Before, each character had its own gold, karma and dungeon tokens. When you logged in after that patch, while switching characters, that character’s gold. karma and dungeon tokens were added to the wallet.

That’s not even analogous. There was nothing soulbound or account bound involved with anything in the wallet. Everything there was already account bound.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Khisanth.2948

there will be thousands upon thousands of unid dyes generated the day of the update, if not millions. It won’t matter, prices won’t be as high as everyone thinks

everyone is stockpiling dyes to get bunches of unid dyes at update thinking they can sell for a profit, when in reality only a few will make profits, as there is tons of people doing this as it is a fairly cheap “adventure” into investing. So there will be TONS of Unid dyes day of update from all the hopefuls hoping to become instantly rich.

Don’t fret it

Thousands upon thousands, many (most?) of which will instantly be consumed by players trying to roll the dice and get some additional dyes once the patch goes live, since the dyes are now account-wide.

Day of update will have a lot of dye, but that number will rapidly decrease (I’d say at least 50% will be used up the same day) and with the significant decrease in acquisition rates, unidentified dyes will become very expensive as time goes on.

If you are working on Bifrost, or will be working on Bifrost, I strongly recommend that you retain the unidentified dyes you receive on patch day.

Also put in some “cheap” buy orders now.

Khisanth.2948

The bad news here is dyes will no longer be available in the game as mob drops. This means if you think getting dyes is hard now, it will be nearly impossible after the update. The prices on dyes will skyrocket, likely by 1000% or more, so you might want to do any dye shopping now before the they become as rare as legendaries on the TP.

Never really got much from mobs except for one period where my low levels were getting them relatively frequently. Most of mine came from harvesting plants. It is unclear from the article if that is changing. Gathering nodes are obviously not mobs but that still doesn’t seem like a safe assumption.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

It is pretty clear from the wording:

In plain English, dyes used after patch will be account bound.

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

This is meant to be taken in context with the above, not out of context. In context, in plain English, it means whenever you buy and use a new dye after the patch, if you had it unlocked on a character prior to the patch, that character will get an unidentified dye as compensation.

So simply, taking two characters (A and:

Pre-Patch: A unlocks Abyss and B unlocks Celestial, Abyss is Soulbound to A, and Celestial is Soulbound to B.

Post-Patch: Abyss is still Soulbound to A, and Celestial to B.

If A purchases Celestial and uses it, B will get an unidentified dye for the overlap. Any character created afterward will have access to Celestial, but NOT Abyss.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here is some more official information on the Dyes (and Wardrobe and Town Clothes) for those that may still have questions:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/45889307-Dyes

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/46419166-Wardrobe

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/45944258-Town-Clothes

Hope that clears up some of the questions. =)

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Ya, I wasted a lot on Abyss/Celestial dyes on characters I deleted so I’m not even receiving unidentified dyes for that but well, ArenaNet is well know for this kind of moves.

Moral of a fable: Never spend real money on this game to get something unless you don’t give a kitten about this kind of changes.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

glad to see I’m not the only one who has a problem with this, the new dye system is an awesome idea but the fact that old school players that have spent a lot on same colour dyes for different character just get an “unidentified dye” to compensate for the idk hundreds of gold they’ve spent on the dyes like me spending 210g on celestial and abyss dyes which isn’t much compared to what others are losing, but it took me hours and hours to farm enough gold to afford that while new players can now just spent less than half of that and get it account wide. Maybe ANet could consider just making the current dyes account wide maybe? that’d be nice

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

This seems like a point of view sort of thing (feel free to ignore me, just wanted to point it out).
One way of looking at it is the same way you are. You wasted your money to get dyes on all your alts and now all you get for it is an unidentified dye.
On the other hand, all of your other alts get them for free and you get a couple unidentified dye on top of it.

Posted by: AlphaWolf.2709

AlphaWolf.2709

You’re the one misunderstanding. ALL dyes your characters have AT THIS MOMENT will be account bound after this patch. It would make zero sense for this new system to only give you account wide dyes from the patch date forward based on what you opened.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I’m tired and may have jumped the gun. i’ll review it again with a more awake set of eyes and brain.

offers coffee

hmmm

also offers mt dew, or coca cola

wake up bud!

My ideal soda fountain would be Mt. Dew, Coke, Romano’s Orange Itallian Soda, Strawberry Fanta, and Barqs. (The orange floats are awesome.)

Posted by: AlphaWolf.2709

AlphaWolf.2709

“With the new dye system, how will dyes be unlocked?”

“Each dye that one of your characters currently has unlocked will become available to every character on your account when you log in with that character. This means that if Character A has Green Dye unlocked, it will not be available to the rest of your characters until you log in with Character A. Once you do that, any character may use the dye.”

Source – https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/45889307-Dyes

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

This seems like a point of view sort of thing (feel free to ignore me, just wanted to point it out).
One way of looking at it is the same way you are. You wasted your money to get dyes on all your alts and now all you get for it is an unidentified dye.
On the other hand, all of your other alts get them for free and you get a couple unidentified dye on top of it.

you’d have to buy the dye and use it after the patch for it to be account wide im pretty sure :L

Posted by: HISOST.8932

HISOST.8932

If I have a single piece of a full set like Aetherblade Light Gloves but I transmuted over the rest of the set will I still receive the full set in my wardrobe?

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

Most of mine came from harvesting plants. It is unclear from the article if that is changing. Gathering nodes are obviously not mobs but that still doesn’t seem like a safe assumption.

I hope this stays in the game. I always go out of my way to harvest every plant I see because I love the feeling of getting a dye from harvesting would be sad to see that go.

Posted by: Jaron.8103

Jaron.8103

you’d have to buy the dye and use it after the patch for it to be account wide im pretty sure :L

Nope – https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/45889307-Dyes

What happens with dyes that I have unlocked on multiple characters?
Upon logging in with a character, the game will check to see whether each specific dye on that character’s profile has been unlocked. If the dye already has been unlocked because a different character previously unlocked that specific dye on your account, the game will determine each instance where this took place and then will send you an in-game mail with an unidentified dye for each dye that was duplicated on your account. This means if four characters have Violet Dye, one will convert into an account-wide Violet Due and any other character that had Violet Dye will be sent an unidentified dye via in-game mail once that character is logged into the game.

In short, every dye you have unlocked across every character you actively had will be added to your account unlocked list and available for each character to use. Any duplicate unlocks will give you a mail with some un-ID dyes.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

How can people get unidentified dyes after the patch? Laurels and gem store? The only Mystic Forge recipe I can see on the wiki is an sPvP recipe (requiring glory), are there other recipes or are they adding new ones do you know?

Posted by: kokuou.9537

kokuou.9537

If A purchases Celestial and uses it, B will get an unidentified dye for the overlap. Any character created afterward will have access to Celestial, but NOT Abyss.

As posted in the official FAQ by Jaron above, this is incorrect.
If A has Celestial Dye and B has Abyss Dye unlocked before the patch, all characters on the account will gain access to both Celestial and Abyss after the patch. Any further instances of those colours having been unlocked on other characters will be ‘reimbursed’ by having an unidentified dye being mailed to them.

Posted by: King Slacker.1843

King Slacker.1843

Being a Slacker is a Virtue. I have 0% chance of getting a Peach Tint Dye in exchange for Celestial or Abyss Dyes that I bought. Slack Long and Prosper! Midnight Fire Dye and Blue Ice Dye can pass off very well as Black and White on light armor ^^

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

It may have already been said, but it would be nice if the same Gem Store dye was unlocked on two characters (like two with Charred) that instead of a generic unid dye we get the dye kit for a chance at a different one in the same vein.

Getting an exact copy of that dye would be perfect/ideal, but might be a bridge too far. This seems like a somewhat reasonable compromise, even if we are at the mercy of the RNG.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

“With dyes becoming account unlocks, the demand for dye will decrease and unidentified dyes no longer will drop as loot but still will be available from the Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards.”
Unless you want the gift of color… needed for legendary, demand will still be there for unid dye,

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

How can people get unidentified dyes after the patch? Laurels and gem store? The only Mystic Forge recipe I can see on the wiki is an sPvP recipe (requiring glory), are there other recipes or are they adding new ones do you know?

That’s a good point. There is a decent chance that they will release more mystic forge recipes for them.

Posted by: DavidTurner.3095

DavidTurner.3095

“With dyes becoming account unlocks, the demand for dye will decrease and unidentified dyes no longer will drop as loot but still will be available from the Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards.”
Unless you want the gift of color… needed for legendary, demand will still be there for unid dye,

Fortunately they’re dropping the requirement by 150 dyes: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-Changes-Feedback-Questions/page/8#post3811742

Kaaleb Daarke – Missing his proper name…
Dragon United Knights [DUK] – Aurora Glade

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Can you please give us an info where will unidentified dyes be obtainable after patch? “Select ingame rewards” is not saying much, and could possibly mean, besides laurels, nothing more than Black Lion chests.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vincent Von Demetri.1450

Vincent Von Demetri.1450

That’s a good point. There is a decent chance that they will release more mystic forge recipes for them.

They should just give everyone all the legendaries. Why should we have to earn things!