What type of player are you? (6 categories)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

I tried to segment the players of GW2 into 6 categories: A, B, C, D, E and F.
See attachment below.
It’s probably way off, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, or if there are types of players that I forgot to mention. ;-)

I got inspired mainly by the discussions on the new Ascended gear.

EDIT:
So far we’ve uncovered two more player types (not in the table):

• Player type G (or Z): The Laid-back Explorer: laid back when it comes to “perfect gear”, explores a lot, and enjoying a lot of content non-related to dungeons or WvW. This type of player is pretty happy with the game so far.
  • Player type H: PvE’ers who play a lot of PvE, but still don’t fancy the new dungeon.

Attachments:

(edited by Loumy.7841)

Posted by: Leonard.2867

Leonard.2867

Option B-2. For all reasons I have stated in other threads.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Type 7:

“I do WvW, PVE, dungeons and sPVP; I am a competent player and I can do maths, so I realise the new gear with 3% total extra stats has literally no impact on the outcome of any of those activities.”

(edited by xiv.7136)

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

None of the above, I don’t feel motivated in the grind for Ascended gear, specially when it’s behind and effectively part of a three-part gating system.

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

I’m surprised there isn’t one that says “I enjoy PvE, I have lots of time to play, and I hate the new geargrind to the point I quit.”

Loumy.7841

Type 7:

“I do WvW, PVE, dungeons and sPVP; I am a competent player and I can do maths, so I realise the new gear with 3% total extra stats has literally no impact on the outcome of any of those activities.”

But your math is WAY off xiv :-D

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I am a player who doesn’t have a whole lot of time to play, but when I do so I’m enjoying it. I love the beautiful gameworld, love the challenges presented by the skill system, and especially love the lore. Gear and wealth are secondary concerns for me.

As I don’t see that covered in your chart, I’ll call this “Group Z”. And for all I know, I may be the only player in it.

That’s okay, too.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Loumy.7841

I’m surprised there isn’t one that says “I enjoy PvE, I have lots of time to play, and I hate the new geargrind to the point I quit.”

You have a point, that type wasn’t mentioned!

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Type 7:

It’s not.

Compare total stats of your character with full exotics, then replace the backpack and 2 rings with ascended and check your total stats. The difference is 3%

That is how you measure the increase in power, not just quoting “omg it’s 10 more precision on that piece of gear, that’s 20% more!!!!!”

Loumy.7841

I am a player who doesn’t have a whole lot of time to play, but when I do so I’m enjoying it. I love the beautiful gameworld, love the challenges presented by the skill system, and especially love the lore. Gear and wealth are secondary concerns for me.

As I don’t see that covered in your chart, I’ll call this “Group Z”. And for all I know, I may be the only player in it.

That’s okay, too.

Always room for laid back explorers! ;-)

Loumy.7841

Type 7:

It’s not.

Compare total stats of your character with full exotics, then replace the backpack and 2 rings with ascended and check your total stats.

That is how you measure the increase in power, not just quoting “omg it’s 10 more precision on that piece of gear, that’s 20% more!!!!!”

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying, are you saying it’s a 3% increase?

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

I enjoy all of that..

so whatever everybody said i will keep playing…
I also will try to get that Asscended gear…

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

i have lots of time and pve exclusively. could be years before i ever see any of the stuff people have been talking about the past week. but thats all theoretical b/c ive never played a game that long (just started mmos this past summer) and i am struggling mightily to solo the pve content.

ive also uninsalled/reinstalled several times. im also one of the people that got a refund but who ended up just rebuying. that was about 24 hours before the announcement of the ‘ascended’ tier.

mostly i feel like a guinea pig b/c i have so little clue about what this game is actually about, how its done or what it will be if/when i figure it out.

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

None of your options work for me.

I do WvW the most but I also enjoy PvE content. That said, I haven’t done the Fractals dungeon yet because I’ve been busy doing other stuff. But I do plan on doing them. Not because I feel forced to but because my guildies are saying that it is a really fun dungeon to do.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I’m with Tanith so I’m group Z

but I want to add that I also love DE’s and my concern is that Ascended gear will empty the world into the FoTM so that that becomes inpossible- so make that Z1

Another thing is that I now have less desire to lvl my alts- so may be a Z2?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“Compare total stats of your character with full exotics, then replace the backpack and 2 rings with ascended and check your total stats. The difference is 3%”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mad_Memoires:_Complete_Edition
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Quiver

I’m sorry, but have you even SEEN the top tiered new items? Items tend to add more stats your characther then you think – it’s why with your base 900 precision, you have ~2% crit chance, while that with 1’900 you have 60+~% crit chance.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

I’m somewhere between A and B. I can play quite often, I love the fractals so far, but I also level a load of alts so my main character ain’t geared fully exotic yet (although close).

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I’m a “D”

15 chars.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: supergica.8652

supergica.8652

Talk about bias. Every option is custom tailored to the opinion of the whiners, how about this one:

“I’m an actual WvW player and I have more than 2 brain cells to realize that Ascendent doesn’t matter in WvW at all. I actually enjoy all the content in this game and I understand how Ascended fits in.

Posted by: Culwenimos.1594

Culwenimos.1594

I’m an A(-). I play mostly in PvE. I liked the dungeon. I did it only so far to get the Monthly achievement. I would do it in the future to get 20 slot bags but I have no real desire to get Ascended gear so the fractal tokens would do just fine. I’d be more influenced to do it if guildies needed a party member to do it.

Posted by: cowman.8901

cowman.8901

D —been here before where company gives dungeon people superior gear.

I know how bad it can be in the end. No use wasting time here.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

Just because you have a lot of time to spend in the game doesn’t mean you’d be ok with treadmills and grind.

I have a lot of free time and I used to love both PvE and WvW. I’ve sunk 600+ hours into the game and i think new grind for stats is a disgrace. It’s a cheap gimmick to keep people playing and it’s insulting. So far it has worked to keep me from playing and not the the opposite.

Even if I HAVE the time I won’t buy into this.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: cowman.8901

cowman.8901

Type 7:

That would be 3% today right?

I have had those purple hammers beat on me before.

Experience tells me that is the future.

WvW against superior gear sucks.

Posted by: Arngrim.3786

Arngrim.3786

Cleverly hidden troll post. Nice one TC.

Anyway i guess id go with E? :S

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I have a problem with needing to put people in boxes (nobody puts baby in a corner?).

I have a problem with the verbiage. It is obvious it’s written from a point of view.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

A-ish.

I like PVE. I like the new dungeons a great deal. I understand why people complain about gear and such, but I’m rather apathetic over all the hoopla.

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

D ish. See I beleave that we need to push to make ascended gear available thru wvw and that way I can just stay there and stay competitive.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

X: I enjoy the new dungeon, don’t feel compelled to get the new gear, don’t have lot of time to play, and enjoy PvE and WvW.

I understand why people complain, and I’m keeping a wary eye out, but at this moment, I’m not rampaging.

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

None of the above.

I don’t have a lot of time to play and I prefer PvE, but I don’t feel that I’m either ‘left behind’, nor that I’ll ‘probably quit’, because these make it sound as though it’s something I’ll do as a result of the recent changes. They’re not – I’ll quit when I’m satisfied with my progression or I simply don’t have enough time to play, and that includes limiting time on the other games I enjoy. I’m satisfied with a couple of hours play every other night, with the progress I’m making and the investment of my money in something I find entertaining. I might play FotM, I might not. I might put effort into obtaining Ascended gear (or even Exotics), I might not. I don’t particularly feel pressured to do anything, because I don’t feel pressured to stick to someone else’s standards of how I should be playing, or how they choose to play themselves.

The choices available for WvW sound negative to me regardless of how much time someone has to spend on the game. And the comments for the ‘A Lot of Time to Play’ column make the player sound ignorant of other people’s concerns if they choose them; ‘I don’t understand why everyone is complaining’. In my case, I understand, but I don’t foresee their concerns impacting on my own enjoyment. I don’t feel forced to climb onto any ‘gear treadmill’ to enjoy the game, and if I do take part, it’s of my own volition – I won’t feel ‘forced to’, I’ll do it as a challenge.

I get what you’re trying to do here, but you can’t really boil people’s opinions down to one of nine available choices, particularly worded as they are.

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I have a lot of time to play.
I enjoy PvE and WvW.

I do not use all my time I could be playing, instead I limit myself to 2 hours a day so I can get other things done. When I do play, I tend to just drop in on a zone I feel like going to today and screwing around. Or maybe I work on my crafts. I check and see what the guild is up to, maybe synchronize going with them to take a Claw of Jormag.

I do not expect to put a major massive impact by myself on the WvW battlefield. I do whatever minor tasks are needed and try to act in a support capacity due to not having the best PvP skills in the box. Not even the third-from-the last. I am the newb knife with the rubber guard on it to keep me from cutting myself.

I am absolutely okay with the idea I will never be “teh best”, own anything I look at and go ’that’s neat’, and will probably never see 100% of the content.

Though according to this matrix, I am deeply dissatisfied with my life and am probably still a virgin to boot.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Razarei.2809

Razarei.2809

“Compare total stats of your character with full exotics, then replace the backpack and 2 rings with ascended and check your total stats. The difference is 3%”

I’m sorry, but have you even SEEN the top tiered new items? Items tend to add more stats your characther then you think – it’s why with your base 900 precision, you have ~2% crit chance, while that with 1’900 you have 60+~% crit chance.

Like you, and 90% of the forum community, the ascended gear appears to have more stats. Yes, this is because the stats you would put in the upgrade slot are compounded. The upgrade slot is an infusion slot, which gives agony resistance, or agony resistance +5 points of your choice.

So yes, 3% increase is probably an overestimation.

@OP

I’m the one that “Has little free time”, “Enjoys GW2”, “Doesn’t give a monkeys about all the whiners”, and “Doesn’t feel left behind at all”. What’s there to get left behind in?

Elementalist – Blárp, Razarei, 55HPMonk, Need More Defense
Revenant – Master Blárp [Desolation]

Posted by: Jefzor.7145

Jefzor.7145

If you want to compare it to something, you should compare it to guild backpack with a jewel, not mad memories.

Oh, and I’m an E.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

If you want to compare it to something, you should compare it to guild backpack with a jewel, not mad memories.

Oh, and I’m an E.

Someone did compare it to a backpack, though not jeweled.

. . . wait, you can put a jewel in a backpack?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Your ‘survey’ is drastically biased. You need 2 more columns at least.

All your current options are weighted in favor of, more time playing = more pleased, wvwvw player exclusively = not pleased. There are no options for those that are any different from this mentality.

I for one play a bit of everything, don’t have a lot of time to play, yet am quiet happy and have no fear of being left behind.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I enjoy PvE, PvP and WvW.

I try to make the dailies and the monthlies, and then I go for my own objectives, which are mostly leveling up all of my characters for now.
Leveling, not gearing, as gearing them would take an unrealistically long time.

The game is too unfriendly with those who like to play with more than one character.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Did you just compare a masterwork item with an ascended one?

You just skipped the rare and exotic tiers…

Also, I have little time to play and enjoy fractals…I just make my own groups.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Your ‘survey’ is drastically biased. You need 2 more columns at least.

All your current options are weighted in favor of, more time playing = more pleased, wvwvw player exclusively = not pleased. There are no options for those that are any different from this mentality.

I for one play a bit of everything, don’t have a lot of time to play, yet am quiet happy and have no fear of being left behind.

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

I’m definitely “p”, “b”, “c” and “d”

“Promise Broken, Characters Deleted”, though that seems more a category to itself.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I play both PvE and WvWvW. I have had a lot of time on my hands. That will be less so very shortly, but till now that is the case.

However, your description is off base by a wide margin.

I have 718 hours 32 minutes over the past 2 months and 832 hours 0 minutes over all my characters.

I love the new fractals dungeon. That much is true. However it’s not for the gear and stats. If I were worried about that, I wouldn’t be running the fractals and WvWvW in Explorer’s Draconic armor.

I love it for it’s impression it has given me. I love it for it’s variety, enjoyability, difficulty at times, and even it’s humor.(Robot Cats that go “MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW”, I can’t do that one without cracking a smile. And who doesn’t feel proud when the Colossus bows to you?)

I am only level 5 currently, but my 230 relics should tell you how many times I have gone with lower level groups just because I want to go and there is none at my current level available. I have yet to get a single piece of gear out of there that would replace what I have now other than a wayfarer’s backguard that replaced the one I got for completing my personal storyline.

I perform in PvE and WvWvW quite fine. Even in gear that many people consider very sub-optimal. However I have been invited to a couple guilds since they enjoyed playing fractals with me. I have been invited to a WvWvW guild because they had a good time flipping camps with me.

For someone with 800 hours under his belt. You would probably expect that I would at least have SOMETHING impressive to show for it. The only item I have that is rare is “The Punisher” that I just obtained from the Ancient Karka event. I don’t even use my hammer. I prefer the Greatsword/Scepter/Focus weapons.

Eventually however I plan to achieve my goals. All of them. That includes owning an Eternity. Which it might very well take me to actually achieve. I’m quite alright with that.

I have 29 gold saved up currently on my path to obtaining a “Dawn”. 10% of the way! Today I looked at the recipes for the mystic forge options of ascended gear. I have 10% of the T6 materials. I will have to farm those up if I decide to go that route. Haven’t decided yet.

I still don’t see why people are complaining.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

(edited by Kumu Honua.2751)

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Where was the option for:

- I dabble with WvW and sPvP, but hold no attachment or sentiment toward either.
- I enjoy PvE content, but find dungeons become monotonous over time.
- I find the most joy in roleplaying, character customization, and world exploration.

It wasn’t there, because unfortunately I’m not a majority.

Edit:
To make it painfully clear: I don’t rely on killing things to feel accomplished in games. Shocker, right?

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kerithlan.1659)

Posted by: Southern Lord.7254

Southern Lord.7254

I’m option G:

I play PvE, haven’t touched PvP or WvWvW as I;m an MMO newbie and don’t want to get destroyed, am only level 15 and nowhere nrear the end game.

Saying that, I like the idea of new gear, and am not opposed to a bit of hard work to earn it. I think people who expected everyone to have got the best items 3 months into the game and for it to remain that way for the next 6+ years I think are deluding themselves a bit…

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think people who expected everyone to have got the best items 3 months into the game and for it to remain that way for the next 6+ years I think are deluding themselves a bit…

Full disclosure. GW1 never moved the stats on their gear. It started that heavy armor maxed at a point, that the best sword range you could get was 15-22 (how do I still remember that?), and that you only got so many points to allocate to your profession traits and no more.

So, for 7 years, the max gear was always the max gear. The skills, however, were always being tweaked and the metagame shifting over time through various stages. Something that plain was awesome the first year of the game was not the same in the last year. Dervishes got a MAJOR overhaul so that their skillset worked differently.

I think people wanted to think GW2 was going to be the same kind of pattern . . . though I threw that preconception out when they talked about how the skills were more closely linked to a weapon of choice. Once you didn’t have the myriad and massive potential amounts of skill customization from GW1, you couldn’t assume anything in GW2 was going to be similar.

You know, other than the charr being fuzzy horned animals who really like fighting.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

That’s okay, too.

You’re not the only one. I’d be in Group Z as well.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

I have loads of time to play, enjoy PvE the most, and absolutely loathe the Fractals and all that they stand for. Seems you didn’t provide enough options, or rather you made too many generalizations based on your assumptions.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Type 7:

I am Type 7 also, maybe more Type 8: I do mostly PVE and I don’t care if someone has better gear than me because I don’t WvW If someone has good gear in PVE then I like that, because it will make our dungeon run more easy. I just want to be able to do everything there is to do in PvE.

The OPs player types are biased towards negativity and leaves no option for us who enjoy the game.

Posted by: Bella.3502

Bella.3502

This.

Didn’t quit though, but my play time has been reduced to around 20 minutes per day. I log-in to do the daily and say hello to the few people in my guild that are still playing.

I just don’t feel like playing the game anymore.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

None of the above. I am a PvE player and i can put quite a lot of time into the game (though not as much as i once could). I like FotM on general, but i completely understand the complains. I don’t like the Fractal Level and Agony mechanics, i dislike the introdustion of ascended gear, i hate how FotM suddenly made half of the game a ghost town (and obsoleted 99% of the content).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Jeremy Winston.2165

Jeremy Winston.2165

None of the above. I am a PvE player and i can put quite a lot of time into the game (though not as much as i once could). I like FotM on general, but i completely understand the complains. I don’t like the Fractal Level and Agony mechanics, i dislike the introdustion of ascended gear, i hate how FotM suddenly made half of the game a ghost town (and obsoleted 99% of the content).

I just read the opening post and the chart and was about to post almost exactly this.

I don’t really care about the armor. But, I do care about being shut out from new content because I don’t want to grind for the new armor.

First to die!

If I beat you, you might want to consider changing games.

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

B for me… minus the alt thing…

I’ve made an alt, but I have no motivation to continue playing with it…
Currently playing Necro… starting to get bored though…

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

None of the above.

I seriously doubt I’ll grind out that massive number of mats for ascended but I have no plans on leaving as long as i’m not cut out of any future content.

I would like to do the fractals up to max level but not if it means I have to grind out gear. Guess I’ll just stop at fractal 10.

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com