Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Holy sweet business. I’m playing bdo now and I love riding my mount around just to see the scenery. I really hope this is true. Look at that manta ray type thing. That’s awesome! :O

You can’t see the scenery while walking? O.o

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

Amazing this was made 4 years ago and we’re just getting them! PROGRESS PEOPLE! Now all we gotta do is keep asking for capes ! and we’ll get that too! 4 more years! 4 more years ! 4 more years!

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Mounted capes? Best of both worlds.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Mounted capes? Best of both worlds.

the colision system cant handle that, Anet had to decrease the colision stuff, sicne it makes tha game more laggy.

Reason why we dont have capes, it would require colision with the armor and WvW sometimes is already unplayable, adding more the proccssing og all those collisons… with be very awfull.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

point is different themed areas, different movement means

No, the point is artificially introducing a problem that the game already had a solution to in order to create a niche for the introduction of mounts which will undoubtedly be a massive cash shop success for them, at the cost of permanently losing part of the identity that makes Guild Wars 2 a Guild Wars game. Which they have every right to do, but don’t pretend they couldn’t have done the exact same thing with properly used waypoints and strategically places updrafts and ley lines. The only reason they aren’t is so that they can make mounts a desirable item and sell more gems.

Updrafts and leylines were not part of a gw game until they were introduced.

Its not what is implemented in game, its how, that determines whether or not it fits gw2.

Personally Im not interested in mounts, but the mario-esque bouncing mushrooms, and the gliders, and leylines, and so on are no more gw than mounts.

And you can bet that the cash shop implecations were a significant consideration for the decision to add gliders.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: benhamann.9570

benhamann.9570

Why do you even want a mount? You already run quickly, you can already get to places quickly. Mounts are a solution without a problem.

No to mounts. This isn’t some terrible and decaying game. You know which one im talking about.

Why do you need things like companions and wardrobe items, or outfits? you dont. But they are fun to collect and use!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: arielwind.8921

arielwind.8921

I don’t need any mounts in gw2 honestry.
It’s really good gw2 can actually cooperate for group swiftness with skill. But at least if mount comes, we should be able to wield some weapons on it.
Rather, I wish implement of more active mid-air combat, like Tower of Aion does in specific area.
That was awesome.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

More visual clutter… great.

Day by day this game is just constantly going in the wrong direction away from what it started so gloriously as.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

I vote mounts. You never see hero’s walking off into the sunset. They are always riding. Gallant knights, even in a mixed technological world as Tyria, are always seen on mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I think a flaming pegasus duck donkey horse dog cat pig man bear would just be great so I can use it to travel from way point to way point totally negating the need for way points. Also it will need to be able to fly so I can reach higher terrain in all the new multi level maps they make and I must be able to stay mounted while using oakhearts essence so when I grapple hook from 2500 units away I stay firmly mounted on aforementioned flaming pegasus duck donkey horse dog cat pig man bear.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fragon.7043

Fragon.7043

i’m pretty sure its gonna look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apb_WGd0__c
its good for the game,hate it or love it.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

point is different themed areas, different movement means

No, the point is artificially introducing a problem that the game already had a solution to in order to create a niche for the introduction of mounts which will undoubtedly be a massive cash shop success for them, at the cost of permanently losing part of the identity that makes Guild Wars 2 a Guild Wars game. Which they have every right to do, but don’t pretend they couldn’t have done the exact same thing with properly used waypoints and strategically places updrafts and ley lines. The only reason they aren’t is so that they can make mounts a desirable item and sell more gems.

Updrafts and leylines were not part of a gw game until they were introduced.

Its not what is implemented in game, its how, that determines whether or not it fits gw2.

Personally Im not interested in mounts, but the mario-esque bouncing mushrooms, and the gliders, and leylines, and so on are no more gw than mounts.

And you can bet that the cash shop implecations were a significant consideration for the decision to add gliders.

Updrafts, ley-lines and gliding in general was a sort of compromise. The community is so divided when it comes to discuss mounts or other means for transportation. (how old is this thread now btw?) So ANet gave us this new thing. But just so you know I repeat every year now and then, that w/e the majority in these forums request, ANet delivers. Sometimes with huge delays but hey, the things we ask for through all these years, sooner or later they make things a fact.
Those who asked for mounts are going to be pleased cause they are the majority of posters requesting such things here.
My personal opinion is “meh”. Just bring em on. There is nothing in my eyes that can spoil such a great game.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

eh, thats way too involved for this game. I’m not saying it would be bad, just saying they won’t go that deep with them.
they probably will not be that personal, just big tools.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

i have my credit card ready!!!!! ANET.. MAKE ME A PIKACHU PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOL

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

eh, thats way too involved for this game. I’m not saying it would be bad, just saying they won’t go that deep with them.
they probably will not be that personal, just big tools.

Nah i’m pretty sure they’ll be all classes wide pets, like they’ll build up a lil’ bit of drama and attachement to it,Glider is a tool,those are beings,may be they’ll not let you help’em to grow and such,but its highly possible that you’ll somehow tame them, they’ll surely let you name it like ranger pets,dye their Saddles…etc,also it will probably be enabled in vanilla maps but with speed boost as unique feature,their special abilities will be only used in new maps.

P.S.Oh and there is 1 pet that i wish to mount when it’ll grow up,since we’re so attached to him,Aurene!,when playing main story, i have high hopes, imo its gonna be great.

(edited by Fragon.7043)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

If we don’t get mounts, can we at least get the coconuts?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I guess I’m okay with mounts, so long as my asura gets a charr mount. Eh, I guess, to keep things fair, then my norn gets an asura mount. Sucks to be asura.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

aye aye

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I stealthed all the way into enemy territory just to find the stable that had baby white elks.
http://www.mmomounts.com/sites/default/files/White-Elk-Baby-Mount.jpg
The amount of times I was killed by another player before reaching that precious baby elk manger. Arrrrr!!!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

We can’t have mounts in game,the engine can’t handle it,it would take 10 years to design and another 10 years to program,they don’t fit the lore,there’s no need for them etc etc.
Oh wait….

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I guess I’m okay with mounts, so long as my asura gets a charr mount. Eh, I guess, to keep things fair, then my norn gets an asura mount. Sucks to be asura.

Being a Asura,they would just build a golem to do the carrying.
I hope your Norn likes golems.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Of course they’re adding mounts. That has already been leaked. Mounts are going to be the gliders of the next expansion. Mounts will have masteries (like gliders) and, at first, only work in the new content.

Yes, they will add tons of gem store skins (like gliders).
Yes, 6 months after the expac comes out they “may” add it to the base game if it sells more copies of the expansion.

It’s pretty simple guys and following the same formula.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Beliskner.5039

Beliskner.5039

Guess il add my two cents.
In my opinion, i think adding mounts to GW2 will destroy what GW2 is.
Atm you walk around you see people in trouble during an event or a puzzle etc and 80% of people will help that person.
You add mounts alot more people i believe will just carry on without a care in the world, they will take away alot of the social aspect of the game, which has also happened in other games after adding mounts. So i hope they don’t.

Just my two cents, most won’t agree.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

The only mount I’ll ever approve of are the two coconuts from Monty Python’s

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I hope mounts can also be used in core Tyria.
And I assume they’ll be disabled in cities like LA.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It would require having an NPC running behind us with the coconuts and the player character using the “riding a horsie” emote. (And they could sell more inventory space on the NPC’s backpack).

I’d be for that 100%.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

It would require having an NPC running behind us with the coconuts and the player character using the “riding a horsie” emote. (And they could sell more inventory space on the NPC’s backpack).

I’d be for that 100%.

would be great for next april fool’s
IF, and >IF< we get mounts, I would so pay for a mount that this is this (the coconut gig)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Of course they’re adding mounts. That has already been leaked. Mounts are going to be the gliders of the next expansion. Mounts will have masteries (like gliders) and, at first, only work in the new content.

Yes, 6 months after the expac comes out they “may” add it to the base game if it sells more copies of the expansion.

That is very likely. And we all know how that worked out. Just sell the dam skins, sure you bore out most of the player base, but who cares right?

sorry, but reality of this games business model, is that they probably wont make more money by having less stuff in the gem shop, at this time.

At this time I also don’t know what would still turn things around. Personally I am afraid nothing will.

But the key point here is “At this point”. That is why I started to talk about this approach like half a year after release of GW2.

Many people might have found me to negative back then, but really all I tried to prevent is the game ending up where it is now. If anybody is not to blame, it’s the people who did blow the horn back then.

But I am convinced that if the game did had make this sort of items more fun to earn, more people would be more happily playing (not burned out, not bored). If GW2 would then instead of selling those things, have had expansion on a much faster interval (of course, good expansion) they would have been earning the money that ways and would still have a bigger player-base with higher results.

The question now is, what if they would put the complete team on expansions (so start pushing out more expansion to earn money) and indeed not put those items in the store but in game. Would that have a positive effect? At this point I don’t know. Maybe, maybe not. I do think it’s better for the game itself, that for sure. But would it help the results?

The should have gone for that approach from the beginning.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

That is very likely. And we all know how that worked out. You can just sell the skins, but that will bore out many (most) of the player base? In fact this formula that has been in GW2 from the beginning is imho what has been the problem since the beginning.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I’d be for that 100%.

would be great for next april fool’s
IF, and >IF< we get mounts, I would so pay for a mount that this is this (the coconut gig)

+1000 and full agreement with all of this.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

Theory Crafting:
How about Legendary Mount skins , Like gliders ?? =)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So .. expansion number 3 then will bring us duelz and open world PvP i guess.

And new legendarys are only available to players who gank enough low level
players while riding a mount.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts [merged]

Redfeather.6401

I would like a mount whose nose glows when it is close to treasure. It also has to fart a ton. Like imagine an animal that has bad gas and then multiply that by 10.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I would like a mount whose nose glows when it is close to treasure. It also has to fart a ton. Like imagine an animal that has bad gas and then multiply that by 10.

u must be a condi leecher

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mounts [merged]

Redfeather.6401

u must be a condi leecher

I do not know what that means! But thank you!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Can’t believe this thread is still going, but I am against mounts in the traditional way. Maybe as some special mastery for specific areas it could work, but the game has a ton of big fluff on characters already. They’ve added tons of giant wings and gliders, lots of glowy stuff. Combat flashiness is still out of control as it is and adding mounts is just going to make the game feel even more generic ‘get as shiny as possible’ like many others. I remember in other MMO’s where people would block NPC view, I really do not want that in GW.

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

Can’t believe this thread is still going, but I am against mounts in the traditional way. Maybe as some special mastery for specific areas it could work, but the game has a ton of big fluff on characters already. They’ve added tons of giant wings and gliders, lots of glowy stuff. Combat flashiness is still out of control as it is and adding mounts is just going to make the game feel even more generic ‘get as shiny as possible’ like many others. I remember in other MMO’s where people would block NPC view, I really do not want that in GW.

here’s what you should consider , you and much other people are afraid of everything that can look like another mmo,but you forget that there is no perfect game,ever.GW is based on mmo genre and needs to innovate in its way.GW has a very good engine,introducing different mechanics of gameplay has been done from pre-release.and of course its not for everyone.so the simple fact that a new game feature that “looks” exactly the same as any other mmo game one,doesn’t mean neither that they’re out of ideas ,nor copying,nor a sign of a big game failure.
Just put your trust in devs, they’ve ups and downs,they’re humans afterall,i’ve been personnally satistied over most of the content.don’t take it too seriously tho , this is a game and its meant to be taken as such.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

The only use for mounts in the existing zones for me would be if being mounted makes you non-aggro to mobs as long as you do not attack them. That would also be a huge selling point for me, since the constant aggro is one the things that I do not like in GW2.

So if there are any Horse masteries, then I hope becoming non aggro is one of them.

If they only release horses because the new Zones are so big (and low on Waypoints?) then I think that’s a cheesy way to implement them.

When horses are usable in the old zones but you get unmounted every time a mob hits you (with a ranged attack) then I do not ever see myself mounting a horse in these zones.

(edited by Tyncale.1629)

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

The only use for mounts in the existing zones for me would be if being mounted makes you non-aggro to mobs as long as you do not attack them. That would also be a huge selling point for me, since the constant aggro is one the things that I do not like in GW2.

So if there are any Horse masteries, then I hope becoming non aggro is one of them.

If they only release horses because the new Zones are so big (and low on Waypoints?) then I think that’s a cheesy way to implement them.

When horses are usable in the old zones but you get unmounted every time a mob hits you (with a ranged attack) then I do not ever see myself mounting a horse in these zones.

you’ll still get aggro’ed that’s for sure , may be you’ll just get crippled for a few seconds, then you’re good to go.

but since you’ve speed boost you’ll just run through a lot of ennemy groups in a few moments,its not that big of a change from when you were on feet,really.

“Some” masteries should go out of xpac maps also,like we now have with gliding special movements and Stealth, they should implement it in a very special way so it doesnt break the vanilla maps,Probably Only the speed boost feature IMO but we shall see.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sneakr.3679

Sneakr.3679

Played lots of games with mounts and frankly I don’t miss them one bit. I like harvesting and its like ride 10 feet, get off mount and harvest, get back on and ride another 10 feet, etc. I suppose it’s a sweet bit of fluff but I don’t see the practical side of it. Unless of course there are combat advantages.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Robotron.4653

Robotron.4653

Having mounts in this game would definitely be a good idea!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I disagree. Also this:

Attachments:

Hate is Fuel.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Rumors are they’ll be with the new expansion on those maps only. Nothing verified by Anet so take that with a grain of salt.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Must be Tuesday..

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If the leaks are true.

Yes.

Even if the leaks aren’t true. Broom, Flying carpet, descender etc….

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheOrlyFactor.8341

TheOrlyFactor.8341

Am I the only one that finds the possible addition of mounts to be concerning? (Okay, this is probably a rhetorical question.) I feel like homogenization is going to be the thing that kills GW2 by trying to appeal to players of other MMO’s. By trying to appeal to everyone you attract few to no people.

I mean, if I want mounts (I don’t) I’ll go play WoW or BDO. If I want open world PvP (I don’t) I’ll play LOTRO. There’s already a market for those things.

It’s why, for example, games trying to capitalize on the Call of Duty craze/demographic don’t do well or fail when they try to copy CoD and/or appeal to the people who play CoD. There’s already a game/series that does that. It’s called CoD and they’re going to go to that and stay with it rather than try something that’s trying to steal CoD’s thunder. :\

Playing GW2 for the story is like expecting plot in a porno. You’ll be left disappointed.

(edited by TheOrlyFactor.8341)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Am I the only one that finds the possible addition of mounts to be concerning? I feel like homogenization is going to be the thing that kills GW2 by trying to appeal to players of other MMO’s. By trying to appeal to everyone you attract few to no people.

I mean, if I want mounts (I don’t) I’ll go play WoW or BDO. If I want open world PvP (I don’t) I’ll play LOTRO. There’s already a market for those things.

It’s why, for example, games trying to capitalize on the Call of Duty craze/demographic don’t do well or fail when they try to copy CoD and/or appeal to the people who play CoD. There’s already a game/series that does that. It’s called CoD and they’re going to go to that and stay with it rather than try something that’s trying to steal CoD’s thunder. :\

Yeah, pretty much. And its not just turning into just another clone, mounts simply don’t FIT in this game from a mechanical stand point.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

If the leaks are true.

Everyone who saw the leaks should know that they’re real. It would have been way too much work just to troll people and the design of everything fit GW2 precisely – the interface, the design of the 3D models and the like. Plus there’s been a dodgy comment of Mike O’Brien on leaks in the latest AMA. If you read between the lines you’ll know that the leaks were real for sure.

Even if these screenshots were outdated and Anet changed something after they were taken, I don’t think they would scrap an entire developed system that probably took months to create.

(edited by Tekey.7946)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

Yeah, pretty much. And its not just turning into just another clone, mounts simply don’t FIT in this game from a mechanical stand point.

What mechanical points are you referring to? Waypoints?