Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Its the same every year, Anet makes “hilarious” graphical change that manages to kitten lots of people off and doesn’t give a kittene. They did it badly all through Gw1 and the choo-choo is still going

Yes it was funny, for the first 10-15 mins, now its just irritating fighting other players with no animations and the annoying sound

There are a lot of people that loved the GW1 April Fool pranks. The gender swap, the gwen chan, etc etc. I’m guessing far more enjoy it than don’t given that they keep doing them. Obviously is they were as much of an issue as many claim, they would stop because it would be notably detrimental to the company if they didn’t.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Lets be objective about this, what happened is a tragedy and its okey to have strong feelings about.
Like others have pointed out this april fool joke has absolutely nothing related to what happened.

People that seemingly have no connection to anything that happened in Europe are so upset about it. That’s the kittening mind boggling thing.

Like kitten people. kitten.

upset about the tragedy you mean ? (which I believe is entirely understandable) or upset about the april fool? (not so easy to understand?)/

I dont think location has anything to do with it personally, we do live in a global world and if something awful happens it will not feel any less awful just because it happens on the other side of the world.

On the other hand we do live in a world were something awful happens all the time unfortunately. As I type this someone has just been the victim of violence which is awful regardless of the where or the why. Does that mean we shouldnt have violence in any game? and if not why would that be any different?

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Its a good April fool joke,thinking this have anything to do with air crashes is just beyond stupid.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

And honestly there are plane crashes all the time. This one just hit closer to home for you because it was disastrous.

Not really. It’s been more frequent in recent months, but almost all due to pilot tampering. Almost starting to become a bizarre fad.

Crashes before last year are fewer and far between, and usually a result of some kind of system failure. There are actually more cases of a pilot saving an entire airplane from a catastrophic crash after a system failure than actual crashes due to system failure. Considering that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of aircraft flying every single day, those odds are actually pretty darn good.

Posted by: KAJIMARU.3108

KAJIMARU.3108

This crap is okay if you are inside a town but doing wvw is just annoying. This is by far the worst April fools ever.

I hope everything goes back to normal after reset cause i refuse to play the game like this.

Posted by: Ilien.5302

Ilien.5302

Thank you, ANet. Haven’t laughed like this in a while.

Posted by: Confused.5281

Confused.5281

I get the OP’s point. This was funny for about 20 minutes. Then it wasn’t funny. Then it was irritating.

Killface.1896

Merge this QQ to the other one.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Runied by rouge haxors!!1!!111!!!!

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I understand about the plane crash but if you look at things realistically, these crashes rarely happen.

I’d say more people die from disease, knife/guns, and car wrecks each month as compared to plane crash deaths each month

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

K, bye! Don’t stay outside too long, it’s scary out there! =)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Nice attempt… 8/10

lost 2 points for being too obvious, and for the stupidity of it, but it sure baited a lot of people.

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

I just clicked the link to the German forum thinking I would be able to read it. Lol.

Posted by: Nalara.2049

Nalara.2049

Just to show im so glad there are people not taking this too seriously stumbled upon a thread on reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/30zhql/airplane_mode_activate/

Whilst the animations and noises and crappy filter may be annoying it is just fun. Nothing nore nothing less!! If you dont like the filter turn off PostProcessing dont like the noise turn down dialog volume, dont like the fact your arms are spread like wings, log out and come back another day when you can be more grown up. I personally am going to enjoy it after 5 minutes of playing i didnt even really notice it!!

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

In my opinion, there is a difference between something that is insensitive and someone who is overly sensitive.

It’s just not reasonable to assume that every medium will cease to show images of airplanes, reference airplanes, or air travel, or children playing with airplanes just because of some terrible event related to airplanes.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Card.9704

Card.9704

Hey guys, I heard you really liked this event so I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXNV1Ho6qo&feature=youtu.be

Killface.1896

World War 1 plane for just one day is super fun ;D

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

This is just a simple – and, for many of us – enjoyable April Fools Day joke. For posters on this forum to try and associate it in any way with the recent tragedy is insulting and inflammatory, at minimum.

It is really easy to draw lines between things that, in reality, have nothing to do with each other. For example, different races fight against each other every day in GW2 pvp, but I don’t think anyone sees that as a statement about, or allusion to, racial strife in the real world.

I think we are seeing a lot of these posts because people don’t like the joke (which is okay) but realize simply stating that wouldn’t have the same impact as trying to incite moral outrage (which is ridiculous in this case – its just a simple April Fool’s Day joke).

Having players stick their arms out to the side and giving the screen a 1950s aviation film feel isn’t a social statement or allusion to anything – it’s just a fun little joke (which will be gone later today anyway).

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: mako.2431

mako.2431

The prank would still be funny if you could turn it off. Why won’t they let us turn it off?

You are asking for too much, too many kittens in this playerbase defending this bs. Why it is such a irrational thing to request a toggle is crazy to me.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The prank would still be funny if you could turn it off. Why won’t they let us turn it off?

You are asking for too much, too many kittens in this playerbase defending this bs. Why it is such a irrational thing to request a toggle is crazy to me.

Its for one day. They never have a toggle because it’s ONE DAY.

kitten just turn your graphics down if its that much of an issue.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s not irrational. It’s all the other crap that’s been added to the various requests.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

mako.2431

It’s not irrational. It’s all the other crap that’s been added to the various requests.

BS. All I complained about was it was annoying and still was getting attacked by the “cool kids”.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The April Fools day thing ruins game play every year. Bobble-heads also messed up any kind of serious game play (if such a thing exists). Just log off and do something else until tomorrow.

Next year, plan ahead. Log into GW2 to see what they did, laugh, and then log out until April 2.

Also, I agree, a toggle would be great, but maybe they don’t want to create if then else logic in their game for a 1 day joke. Much easier to temporarily overwrite the animate / skeletons / whatever….

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

It is in a pretty poor taste considering recent events, but I’m much more offended that the whole thing is pretty lame compared to past years’ April fools.

Posted by: Dakinia.8923

Dakinia.8923

Arghhh it is one day people! There are spoilsports every year. You remember this is a game and are suppose to be having fun right? If it seriously annoys you that much, just take the day off.

(edited by Dakinia.8923)

Posted by: frost.7156

frost.7156

Hi,
PLEASE, give us an option to turn the “april plane” thingy off, I beg you, the game is so annoying, I can’t enjoy it. I play this game for a week, almost 80 and then you put this into game and it completly ruins my experience. So freaking irritating. It might have been funny for first 2 minutes, but for a day? C’mon, you went too far with the joke, not funny.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

BS. All I complained about was it was annoying and still was getting attacked by the “cool kids”.

I wasn’t just singling your posts out. Though your attitude doesn’t help.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

mako.2431

So let me get this straight…..you can tell me it is just one day as if it is not a big deal, but I cannot tell you it is just an off button as if it is not a big deal? Instead of putting in a simple command to turn it off I have to go through and change my settings then put up with the stupid arm thing I don’t want to se for a day. Is this the type of logic you practice daily?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yup, for a day. One day out of the year. You’re more than welcome to take a break for the day if it’s that bothersome; the game will still be there after the change goes away tonight.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is a SINGLE day out of 365. If it is that big of a deal, simply don’t play today.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

So the Series LOST should be banned from all shops for as long as there are plane crashes? No. You guys are overreacting. This is a game, a big one at that, with tons of story elements etc. The overlap with reality is big, and the chance someone might be offended in way like op was, is big. Does this mean gw2 has no right to exist? OF COURSE IT CAN EXIST. You agree with this, otherwise you wouldn’t be playing it!!! April’s fool is a way of making joy/happynis! Maybe not for you, but most of the people.

And happyness people is the best answser to sadness. The best answer to Boko Haran (or however it’s written) and ISIS trying to drive fear in us with terror. How do you prevail against them? By staying strong in spirit, not be afraid and just live your live. How do a lot of people live their live? By playing guild wars 2 and have a good time with it.

The op has expressed feelings. Purely normal and humane feelings. My absolute condolance with anyone having any form of tragic accidents. But fact remains your feelings just spoke. Not your mind. Feelings tend to scream and not be very down to earth. You are mad and you need ‘things’ where you can be mad at. Your feelings found Arenanet as target. But we all know, when thinking about it with a clear head, that Arenanet did not make a mistake at all. In fact they holded true to a ‘joke tradition’ of april’s fools. Wich inevitable is gonna make some people smile/laugh. It’s all about placing things in proper context. Wich OP did NOT do. I still respect his feelings and post, but not the argument behind it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Hi,
PLEASE, give us an option to turn the “april plane” thingy off, I beg you, the game is so annoying, I can’t enjoy it. I play this game for a week, almost 80 and then you put this into game and it completly ruins my experience. So freaking irritating. It might have been funny for first 2 minutes, but for a day? C’mon, you went too far with the joke, not funny.

There’s probably only 10 hours of it left, so doubt they’ll do anything. Best time to get those small jobs done that you keep putting off (if you’re anything like me).

mako.2431

Yup, for a day. One day out of the year. You’re more than welcome to take a break for the day if it’s that bothersome; the game will still be there after the change goes away tonight.

Because inconveniencing a large portion of your playerbase for only 1 day is better than putting in a simple command to turn it off. Don’t go into business anytime soon.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

This is a PRANK, what prank has a button to turn it off?

Posted by: Drako Dragonis.5806

Drako Dragonis.5806

Omg the whining..the whining! Probably 90% coming from the WvW aficionados whom play little else (I can see how it could be annoying for you but COME ON..one day). I reiterate, I didn’t like it to begin with but it quickly becomes just part of the background. For all the complains generated here, there are literally millions of people who have been (& still are) enjoying the wee bit of fun that it was intended to be.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

April Fools happens every year. Every year Anet does some prank for it. There is no shutting it off, per se. If you don’t like it (which is your right) either don’t play for the day or turn your graphics down for the day.

Posted by: Dlugi.2035

Dlugi.2035

Please add in-game music – Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins for full game experience. Thank you

lordkrall.7241

Because inconveniencing a large portion of your playerbase for only 1 day is better than putting in a simple command to turn it off. Don’t go into business anytime soon.

But why waste the time to put in a “simple command” when it will only ever be here for a single day?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

mako.2431

What prank lasts 24 kittening hours?

Posted by: Alex.1496

Alex.1496

Yup and he made a post numbered xxxx about this. If they don’t want the drama on forums then they should make an option to turn this infantile thing off.
He can also take a break for the day and post complaints on the forums.

RoseofGilead.8907

“Inconveniencing”, lol. The game is still playable. You can turn off the sounds and the sepia tone/film scratches. If you can’t handle a one day joke, then please don’t play Guild Wars games on April Fool’s day every year.

Plus, I’m fairly certain Anet saw a surge in log-in numbers last night and this morning due to all the QQing on reddit and here on the forums. I’d say their business is doing fine.

Posted by: Punter.7648

Punter.7648

Pranks are usually done and dusted in under 5 minutes.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

My only complaint is that I have to work and I can’t be bi-plane curious all over Tyria today and I only have a few hours when I get home before reset. :P

Red 5 is standing by….

Posted by: frost.7156

frost.7156

They already waste time to put down this senseless and unfunny event, radio button takes them 2 minutes max, to make

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

Did you just emerge from the ground and discovered Internet on April 1st?

You think the thousands of websites out there ask for your feedback about what they should do on this day?

RoseofGilead.8907

Yup and he made a post numbered xxxx about this. If they don’t want the drama on forums then they should make an option to turn this infantile thing off.
He can also take a break for the day and post complaints on the forums.

I never said he shouldn’t complain or that he doesn’t have a right to.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So let me get this straight…..you can tell me it is just one day as if it is not a big deal, but I cannot tell you it is just an off button as if it is not a big deal? Instead of putting in a simple command to turn it off I have to go through and change my settings then put up with the stupid arm thing I don’t want to se for a day. Is this the type of logic you practice daily?

Sometimes that simple command, isn’t so kitten simple. As a developer, I know this quite well. Stop saying it’s simple when you have no god kitten clue what their code looks like or how it actually functions on the back end.

You do have an “out” so to speak, just change your kitten graphics settings. Takes 30 seconds to change the settings, it would take you that long to flip open the screen and hit a freaking toggle.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

What prank lasts 24 kittening hours?

The best kind.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

lordkrall.7241

They already waste time to put down this senseless and unfunny event, radio button takes them 2 minutes max, to make

Ah yes, because the code will magically be there just because you added a radio button…..

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

mako.2431

Sometimes that simple command, isn’t so kitten simple. As a developer, I know this quite well. Stop saying it’s simple when you have no god kitten clue what their code looks like or how it actually functions on the back end.

You do have an “out” so to speak, just change your kitten graphics settings. Takes 30 seconds to change the settings, it would take you that long to flip open the screen and hit a freaking toggle.

OoOoOoooooOooooo a developer huh…citing your profession over the internet always convinces people.