World Completion for experienced players.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dronikal.8150

dronikal.8150

Hello.
I’m a veteran GW2 player and after all this years and people suggesting solutions for this problem we still have not seen any replies on the problem.
So what is the problem?Multiple characters world completion.As a player with 11 characters that has done world completion 4-5 times the process becomes more of a punishment then an enjoyable activity.The first 1-2 runs are fun 3-4 are somewhat of a drag and after that they are just pain in the ass to do.And with the addition of all Living World story maps and expansion maps with every new map added it gets even more painfull to do.
Many will argue that you do not need world completion on your character to be functional but lets be real it is annoying to want to go somewhere and not have the WP.
Here is the solutions me and few of my guildies came up with:
*For WvW players it’s simple we already have a system allowing us to buy HP.So just tweak this system to allow us to buy Hearts,PoI,Vistas,WP.Something of the sort of 5 tockens per objective.
*For PvP players they can apply the same system with different currency.
*For PvE players my idea was to get an item that gives 100% completion of random unexplored map after finishing All PvE dailys and I mean every daily for every map,though my guildies argued it should be a weakly reward.
To finish it off all of those methods become available after you have done at least 1-2(depending on Anet) world completions with your account.And using any of those methods prevent you from getting Gift of Exploration or map rewards.Lets be real it’s more of a QoL thing then a farming method.
P.S: I’m terrible at text formating and pls dont judge my english grammar.

(edited by dronikal.8150)

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Since you’re asking for waypoints, that’s gonna get easier anyway with mounts allowed in all of Tyria. I bet you can even see speedruns popping up.
Experienced players know how to quickly do hearts anyway.
A level 80 boost unlocks all level 80 waypoints for a level 80 character.
On top of that, you got TTF if you really quickly need to get somewhere.
I don’t really see the reason for making this even more trivial anymore.

dronikal.8150

Since you’re asking for waypoints, that’s gonna get easier anyway with mounts allowed in all of Tyria. I bet you can even see speedruns popping up.

Have you tried doing all the hearts(some are locked behind events) on 11 characters when you do please come and say its trivial.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Nothing in core tyria is locked behind events, and map completion pretty much only refers to core tyria for the gift. If you want a gen 2 legendary then it’s only the 4 HoT maps, which yes have the event locked areas. Aurora you do pretty much everything in every season 3 map, which actually excludes map completion.

So basically I fail to see the problem since it sounds like you’re talking about the new areas of the world which already have the quality of life to get there. Season 3 has the portal stones, and HoT has the option of just walking straight out of either of the guild halls. You also can’t have easier forms of completing maps because you have a chance of BL keys/other rewards.

Basically the only quality of life that’s missing from going to a different character is not having waypoints, but the item that helps with that already exists.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Have you tried doing all the hearts(some are locked behind events) on 11 characters when you do please come and say its trivial.

There is no heart locked behind events.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Many will argue that you do not need world completion on your character to be functional but lets be real it is annoying to want to go somewhere and not have the WP.

If the QoL for alt characters is having the Waypoints, why do they need Map Completion. Why not just open the Waypoints with the character? Usually the tedium expressed about World Completion is the Renown Hearts and every PoI and Vista. A character doesn’t need those to ‘get somewhere’ in the map.

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

I have 100% completion on 11 of my characters and with PoF out i will do that again with at least two new ones and i bet with mounts it’s gonna be a breeze.
What can i say, i love doing it.

After reading description on mine (still haven’t used it) i gathered that it only unlocks one starting wp in only three lvl 80 maps and not everything. Or you mean if i use it on lvl80 character then it unlock all lvl80 maps wps?

Posted by: Simon De Borovsk.7460

Simon De Borovsk.7460

It is indeed Annoying and very boring to complete the map and do the all the hearts even on 5 characters. not to mention 11. it is also time consuming, preventing us from doing more rewarding or interesting stuff. i like the HoT content, like to PvP, like to do the Meta Events, i just can’t find to do all that and still progress other chars which i made almost 5 years ago. repeatdly doing the same hearts over and over again, being forced to the low worth loot compared to HoT and Living story maps. just to get gifts of exploration? i agree with the OP. such kinds of map exploration unlocks and rewards should be account wide. while special achievement gifts should be untied and cut off from repeatable grind. i actually don’t have problem with running to unlock WPs around the maps but rather with the repeatable boring and boring again and again repeat of Hearts and low level content.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

If you just want the waypoints then you can run very quickly through every map. It takes only minutes. There is no need to finish every Heart and find every Poi just to get access to waypoint.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

you can basically run across every WP in.. i don’t know.. two hours? and even less once we can use our mounts.
considering the hundreds, if not thousands, of hours you probably played already, that’s really a very small part to do.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I try to at least run through the zones quickly to get the waypoints, and every hero challenge and vista that’s on my way.

If I ever decide to do world completion again, I know I can get to places quickly.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: slayerking.3581

slayerking.3581

I would like to see the hearts be a one time thing. When the game was released it was play the way you like, want to do the hearts do them, Don’t want to then don’t. I don’t see why the hearts need to be done more than once, Sure have the map as it is now you still have to run around and get the way points, POI’s, HP’s and Vistas but make hearts a one time thing, When they’re done they are done account wide.

I have done 100% completion countless times since the game was released and every time the only thing that annoys me is doing the hearts again and again especially the tedious ones that don’t even look like they are moving.

Faaris.8013

…but make hearts a one time thing, When they’re done they are done account wide.

I have done 100% completion countless times since the game was released and every time the only thing that annoys me is doing the hearts again and again especially the tedious ones that don’t even look like they are moving.

I like the different looks a map has with hearts undone, it’s much more vivid than after you’ve solved the local problems. All the things that are interactive when you play a fresh character vanish when you do the hearts.

I agree though that hearts are the most boring things the game has to offer.

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

I’m working on world completion for the tenth time. It’s one of my favourite parts of the game. And because every character is different, the overall experience is noticably different each time.
It’s also a way of measuring my improvement in various game mechanics. For example there were originally vistas that would take me many attempts to reach, or I’d have to resort to asking for help from a friendly mesmer; now I can waltz through most of those.

So long and thanks for all the skritt

Faaris.8013

I’m working on world completion for the tenth time. It’s one of my favourite parts of the game.

There are also people who log into an MMO game, farm an ore node for 12 hours, then log off again, every day. They would call it their favourite part of the game. Many people are not as easily satisfied though, and that’s why they ask for shortcuts to avoid repeating dull stuff for days or weeks. Legitimate request in my opinion.

Posted by: Jimaruto.5389

Jimaruto.5389

I agree with this. Being forced to do a 100% world map completion for the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. time in order to make a legendary weapon is the most boring thing ever.

As a solution in another post I suggested for 100% Elona Map Completion to let us choose one of the gifts of the previous worlds (Gift Of Exploration) or (Gift of Maguuma). With this method we would be able to choose at least which world we want to explore again in order to make a legendary weapon and the process will be less boring.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

There’s clearly two camps here – people that enjoy it and people that don’t.
I honestly can’t stand it. I barely did it the second time and don’t think I have it in me to do it again.

I believe an alternative should exist. After all – GW2 has given plenty of alternatives for different things (Legendary armor most recently) so why not be able to get the gifts some other way?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

slayerking.3581

I like the different looks a map has with hearts undone, it’s much more vivid than after you’ve solved the local problems. All the things that are interactive when you play a fresh character vanish when you do the hearts.

Of course by all means have the hearts open but make them optional after you have done your first 100% run. The very first thing I do when I make a new character is do 100% so I can get into the events and world bosses, But the hearts make doing map completion easily 10 times slower.

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I’m in the camp that absolutely despises map completion. I’ve just recently completed it a second time in order to get the GoE and it is the most excruciatingly ridiculous and unfun thing I think I’ve ever had to do in GW2. And much to my horror, I want another GoE so I’m going to have to do it all over again. Not being a PvE’er just compounds my dislike for it.

Faaris.8013

@Brigand: the level of torture really depends on the class you use. I did my only world completion with thief, so that was my benchmark. I only learned what a pleasure that was when I played necromancer and mesmer. Now I started a ranger and planned to boost him to 80, but it’s so much fine, I decided to actually level him. If I ever decide to do world completion again, it will be with this ranger.

With thief, nothing stops you. You can ignore mobs, slows, conditions and everything that gets into other classes way. My thief can just kill the mobs while berry farming and is still faster done with it than my chronomancer. Hero challenge protected by veterans? Just stealth and commune. Ranger is not as great as thief for getting maps done, but close. You can just have the pet get aggro and move on, or shoot arrow #3 for a short stealth. Damage is good enough so far, he’s level 33.

With other words, having a bad or fun experience roaming in PvE also depends on the class.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

…but make hearts a one time thing, When they’re done they are done account wide.

Yeh I think that. is one of the biggest issues with hearts for me. If you do them they are in completed state forever and the world loses some of the more ambience business.

Depending on the heart I dont mind redoing some of them, even if slightly simple and repetitive. So the latest redoable hearts are alright in that aspect.

The loss of possible interaction with the world is what bothers me. Though I wouldnt really like to grind them day after day because I have to, some of the heart tasks are very immersive imo. I really liked the refuge camp in the demo, while the one in the raptor village was more like.. why the hell am I doing this again?

Ofcourse, those that barely progress are very annoying.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I still don’t understand what forces people who hate world completion so much do it over and over again. Just don’t. It is completely optional part of the game and you are not forced to do it.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Of course by all means have the hearts open but make them optional after you have done your first 100% run. The very first thing I do when I make a new character is do 100% so I can get into the events and world bosses, But the hearts make doing map completion easily 10 times slower.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to get 100% before getting into events and bosses. On the contrary, doing event chains (including pre-events for bosses) is the most effective way to fill some hearts.

There’s really only three reasons to go for 100% after the first time

• Legendaries
  • Completionism
  • Enjoyment
    And Completionism is really only a subset of enjoyment, just enjoying the fruits of the labor rather than the labor itself.

If none apply, why do it?

slayerking.3581

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to get 100% before getting into events and bosses. On the contrary, doing event chains (including pre-events for bosses) is the most effective way to fill some hearts.

There’s really only three reasons to go for 100% after the first time

• Legendaries
  • Completionism
  • Enjoyment
    And Completionism is really only a subset of enjoyment, just enjoying the fruits of the labor rather than the labor itself.

If none apply, why do it?

Who said there was? I like having the map complete so I choose completion You also just stated what I have been saying. When you have already done it once why are we made to do it again if we want to get 100%. I actually preferred it when WvW was part of map completion but still hated doing the hearts.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’ve done world completion 5 times and it only takes a couple of play sessions if you setup for it. The rest of the time, when I want a WP, I just pick the nearest one, equip mobility skills and traits and run there, it takes a couple minutes at absolute max.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I have map completion on 19 of 23 characters, so it really isn’t that bad. Do one map per day and in a few weeks its done and you still have fun doing Dungeons, Fractals. and World events. Going through the Personal Story on the character opens a lot of the maps. Good luck and have fun..

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

dronikal.8150

I’d like to jump in here for a second.Lets put the things in perspective.We have the people that love to do world completion.To them all I can say is I’m happy for you.For you this is not a problem.Lets face it my solutions are not meant for you.If you have read the whole post you would realize there is a catch and it does not hurt you in any way.
On the other hand for us people that despise world completion it offers a simple solution that allow us to avoid spending days in something we hate.Though we pay a price in the face of Gift of Exploration all the keys and gold that come with world completion.
Here is one more perspective.People like me have somewhat of a little OSD that triggers every time I see something on my map missing which is no matter how annoying or painful it is I do world completion or avoid playing that hero.

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I’d like to jump in here for a second.Lets put the things in perspective.We have the people that love to do world completion.To them all I can say is I’m happy for you.For you this is not a problem.Lets face it my solutions are not meant for you.If you have read the whole post you would realize there is a catch and it does not hurt you in any way.
On the other hand for us people that despise world completion it offers a simple solution that allow us to avoid spending days in something we hate.Though we pay a price in the face of Gift of Exploration all the keys and gold that come with world completion.
Here is one more perspective.People like me have somewhat of a little OSD that triggers every time I see something on my map missing which is no matter how annoying or painful it is I do world completion or avoid playing that hero.

Using this rationalization I want Legendary Weapons from the new HoT map, but since I don’t want to do what is required allow me to buy this instead, see the point?

Sorry not being rude but the game was designed so that you had to actually play the HoT maps and obtain said items to get these Legendary Weapons. The same thing goes for map completion.

Just be thankful, my first 4 map completions included doing WvW as well as the the basic map.

Have a Great Day!!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you don’t like map completion then don’t do it. If you need the gift of exploration … well that is part of the price tag.

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

Maybe WC should be account bound the way Masteries are or maybe not!
I really do not care.
I did it once and it was great, but I do not feel the need to do it 8 more times.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Posted by: Revan.2015

Revan.2015

I made a very similar post arguing this very point. I have three characters who have 100% map completions. That third time was a drag and I tried ignoring it, but by the time I was 80 seeing areas incomplete after finishing the core and HoT stories it drove me up the wall. So i forced myself to finish those zones reluctantly.

I am now working on a necro because the Scourge looks like an interesting profession to play. Compared to my first map completion which took 3 days my necro is at 56% map completion after a week and a half of grinding him through the zones. IT just gets too boring and irritating when your character slows down when entering combat when you’re trying to run past and explore.

Posted by: Revan.2015

Revan.2015

A lot of people are missing the point OP was trying to make. It’s not a matter of having a shortcut to get rewards. The suggestion he posted forgoes all rewards from zones as well as World completion. Meaning that while you get all vistas, poi’s hearts and waypoints unlocked you get absolutely nothing for it. No gifts of explorations, no Hot zone completion gifts.

Lite Ning Strike.5203

A lot of people are missing the point OP was trying to make. It’s not a matter of having a shortcut to get rewards. The suggestion he posted forgoes all rewards from zones as well as World completion. Meaning that while you get all vistas, poi’s hearts and waypoints unlocked you get absolutely nothing for it. No gifts of explorations, no Hot zone completion gifts.

If that be the case how many would actually do the map, they would just look for the easy way, pull out my Advance to go card.

This is one time I have to say “Not everyone deserves a trophy” for participation.

dronikal.8150

Using this rationalization I want Legendary Weapons from the new HoT map, but since I don’t want to do what is required allow me to buy this instead, see the point?

Sorry not being rude but the game was designed so that you had to actually play the HoT maps and obtain said items to get these Legendary Weapons. The same thing goes for map completion.

Just be thankful, my first 4 map completions included doing WvW as well as the the basic map.

Have a Great Day!!

It is clear you have not read the post or you did not think over what you were writing.Please put the time to read the whole thing before writing nonsense.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Map completion is fine as it is. It’s certainly a lot better than it was in GW1 when you had to ‘un-fuzz’ every singe pixel.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: slpr.2647

slpr.2647

I’ve done world completion on 11 chars. it was actually kinda fun. But.. I only did 3 WC’s by myself. My previous guild ran Map Completion zergs twice a week. getting all Wp’s, POI’s, Vistas and Hero Challenges.
We ran close enough to open each heart, and the only work put into each heart was any events that would contribute to it, and only if it scaled and was quik enough.
we usually had 15ish guildies and would announce in map chat that anyone was welcome to tag along, creating a zerg of about 25-30. you can rip out a map like that in 30-45 min, a tad longer for those big maps (lornar’s pass comes to mind :/ )
then, at your leisure, go back and finish the hearts.
Throw in a Trivia Game while running around mappin, winner getting some Gold, and you gots yerself a good time.
THATS how you map
i kinda miss that now i created a few of my chars just to have something to map!

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

I’ve done world completion on 11 chars. it was actually kinda fun. But.. I only did 3 WC’s by myself. My previous guild ran Map Completion zergs twice a week. getting all Wp’s, POI’s, Vistas and Hero Challenges.
We ran close enough to open each heart, and the only work put into each heart was any events that would contribute to it, and only if it scaled and was quik enough.
we usually had 15ish guildies and would announce in map chat that anyone was welcome to tag along, creating a zerg of about 25-30. you can rip out a map like that in 30-45 min, a tad longer for those big maps (lornar’s pass comes to mind :/ )
then, at your leisure, go back and finish the hearts.
Throw in a Trivia Game while running around mappin, winner getting some Gold, and you gots yerself a good time.
THATS how you map
i kinda miss that now i created a few of my chars just to have something to map!

But what about us solo players who just want to do it on our own time?
There has to be some incentive for every 5th character completing WC.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Posted by: Purgatori.3645

Purgatori.3645

actually ….. from the Wiki … and I consumed my boost last week after buying expansion and confirmed this ….

“This item is consumed instantly by the character that used the Level-80 Boost.
Unlocks the following waypoints:
Arundon Waypoint in Frostgorge Sound
Fort Trinity Waypoint in Straits of Devastation
Dry Top Entry Waypoint in Dry Top”

You get 3 level 80 Waypoints …. not all of them its very misleading.

When life knocks you down, roll over and look at the stars.

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Have a Great Day!!

It is clear you have not read the post or you did not think over what you were writing.Please put the time to read the whole thing before writing nonsense.

Obviously I did read your original post and I was trying to be nice and let you know that we don’t need shortcuts to map completion, what part of map completion is so hard to understand. Like I said they did make them easier in the beginning WvW was included to get this.

If you want all waypoints, poi’s, Hero Points, and Hearts jump in and do them. If you don’t want them bad enough stick with the one toon you did completion on.

But since I disagree with you I “Obviously” didn’t read your rant.

Just like in real life, achievements feel better when you do them yourself and not rely on shortcuts.

(edited by Lite Ning Strike.5203)

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

I think it’s ridiculous that people are using the phrase “being forced” in the same sentence as “legendary weapon.” It’s a legendary weapon for a reason.

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I think it’s ridiculous that people are using the phrase “being forced” in the same sentence as “legendary weapon.” It’s a legendary weapon for a reason.

I didn’t see anyone say anything about forced and Lendary weapons, where was that stated?