videoboy.4162

May we play a new game now?!

Zommoros told me a secret

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I’m glad you guys liked it! You got the answer faster that I expected. That oasis clue would have taken me much longer.

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

I’m glad you guys liked it! You got the answer faster that I expected.

Do more of this.

Please.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I’m glad you guys liked it! You got the answer faster that I expected.

So this was it, nothing you can upgrade it to?

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I’m glad you guys liked it! You got the answer faster that I expected. That oasis clue would have taken me much longer.

That was very well done!!! My hats off to you sir!!
Looking forward to getting home to log in and make my Reaper of Souls!!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So which recipes are left that haven’t been discovered?

Posted by: Skoomagott.6140

Skoomagott.6140

D…d…d…destroyer scythe;)

Posted by: TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

so is karka farming the easiest way to farm blood

my fate is my own, I will not be Mordremoth’s slave!- Ezonos Nightbriar

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thank you very much, John. It was loads of fun!

How about a ‘Mystery’ once a week? Once a fortnight? Once a month??

Pleeease? =)

Skoomagott.6140

so is karka farming the easiest way to farm blood

It’s one of the best at least if you don’t want to buy it from the tp.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

D…d…d…destroyer scythe;)

Reaper of Souls
Bloodstone shard
100 Globs of Ectoplasm
Ancient staff haft

:)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: brittitude.1983

brittitude.1983

This was fun! Good job everyone.

And a special thanks to John for creating this thread. I would love to participate in more of these in the future.

how much gold is 100 vials of powerful blood

Skoomagott.6140

how much gold is 100 vials of powerful blood

around 60g with buy orders atm.

ok thanks for the info

Posted by: Asuaka.1528

Asuaka.1528

Destroyer Scythe next? Or the Dark Moon Shield?

List of unavailable armor and weapon skins:
[Collection] Wardrobe/Skin Bugs & Anomalies

Posted by: minfaer.2796

minfaer.2796

John, please write an ending to the story of Lemark… of course, we know he gets it, but it feels so like a cliffhanger… maybe some surprise about why he wanted the reaper so desperately!

Posted by: Bobettebee.7560

Bobettebee.7560

That was awesome! Thanks for the treasure hunt John. I’d love more of this in the future if possible!

Skoomagott.6140

John, please write an ending to the story of Lemark… of course, we know he gets it, but it feels so like a cliffhanger… maybe some surprise about why he wanted the reaper so desperately!

Wait, wait, let me…

Lemark looked at the weapon in his hands. Reaper Of Souls, Zommoros called it. What a fearsome dagger it was. He had heard rumors about this mysterious artifact but he would never had thought that he would be able to call it his own someday. He remembered the arduous adventure to obtain it and a smile appeared on his face. Finally he could harvest his prized strawberries. He turned away from the forge and his excentric owner and joyfully started his journey back home. Suddenly he stumbled, fell and lay there, the reaper of souls buried in his stomach, bleeding to death. Ah, what a journey it has been…

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Cool, that was fun. Should do this again.
Too bad the skin looks so bad lol. Looks like a rusty sickle you found in a heap of scrap.

Posted by: Nirnaeth.2654

Nirnaeth.2654

Well, all weapons look like crap if they don’t match your armor.
imagine a dark and evil warrior with SAB greatsword……… ****the horror****
This sickle can be the best if you make it the best!

i.e. charr in bloodied cook-outfit with rusttooth and sickle for the lols (i hate outfits)
Besides that it would fit along with any other bone-like weapon, maw of the d_á_m_ñ_è_d (that word), or weaps with a slight rust, like honor of humanity. You can use it with leather-y armor for the sheen of the rusted iron to pop out more

or use cut off limbs with it (zhaitan’s reach, severed dagger)

those are just ideas ppl, play with it…
JUST PLAY!!!

/bow @ john smith
this was awesome, THANKS

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Please Sir, give us more?

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

More, please. I loved the treasure hunt style to this.
It reminded me of the hunt for the staff (sorry forgot the name) that eluded everyone for so long until it was finally said it had been a bugged drop.
Thanks John.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

Not really interested in the item, but this thread was really cool!

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This thread was a ton of fun. You can’t go wrong introducing new items and content this way. You also couldn’t go wrong by having an NPC give out clues like this. Nice work ArenaNet!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Lemark kicked in the door. “A WORM?!” he shouted, “NO… NO! A FREAKING 200 FOOT WORM!”
Zomorros was waiting for him, of course, a smirk on his smug face as he hovered at the end of the room. The whole place was lavishly decorated in a way that screamed wealth at anyone who entered. Zomorros wasn’t a being of subtlety… usually.
“My old friend,” Zomorros said lazily, his head tilted to one side as he examined Lemark’s battered appearance. “How are you? You don’t look so well, I’m sure I have something that can help that around here.”
“Save your gifts” Lemark spat, “I’ve no need for more chains”.
“Well, aren’t we dramatic today?” Zomorros replied with a smile as he continued to rummage through a chest of unorganized bottles.
Lemark began to walk deeper into the room. He rubbed a dirty hand across a tapestry that probably cost more than most Tyrians earned in their lifetime.
“I’ve come for what’s mine,” Lemark growled in what should have been an inaudible tone.
Zomorros turned with a scowl, all pretense of good humor evaporating. “There is a price for that”.
Lemark threw his pack across the room where it fell and slid into a wall beside Zomorros. The Djinn looked intently at the pack as it burst apart , the collected items hovering in air.
“No,” Zomorros almost sobbed, and Lemark was uncertain if it was a denial or disbelief.
“No,” Zomorros said again, more forcefully, “these are unacceptable!”
“They are not! The Contrac-”
“You do not want to hold the contract against me, child! This is mine and you cannot deserve it,” Zomorros said, visibly attempting to restrain his anger. “You don’t even know what it is.”
Lemark pulled a ratty parchment from his pocket and slammed it on the table in front of Zomorros. It glowed slightly in the Djinn’s presence.
Lemark put his hand on the parchment and stared directly into Zomorros’s eyes. “The contract,” he said slowly and precisely. The words echoed unnaturally around them.
A smile slowly transformed Zomorros’s features. The “skin” around his eyes tightened and his lips curled sadistically as looked up at Lemark from under his brow. “I am compelled,” Zomorros said slowly as a dagger bloomed from Lemark’s chest. The thief looked down in stunned disbelief. He legs went weak, but he caught himself with one arm on the table.
Lemark felt blood in his lungs; he held his breath and stood back up. Sheer stubbornness kept him on his feet as Zomorros moved in close.
Zomorros spoke softly, almost like a whisper, but every word was terribly clear and precise, “I never told you what this is”. He leaned in close enough that his face filled Lemark’s vision and wrapped his fingers around the hilt,
“It’s the reaper of souls.” He whispered as the dagger ripped free.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This was really cool. I’ve heard of in-game clues to recipes, but I never saw something like this.
It’ll be cool if those were not just NPCs and books with text. But also random drops with an item that ‘coaches’ people into finding the clues.

Kind of like Cho’s journal in GW1 for the Moa Chick.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: froacus.6892

froacus.6892

WHY ISNT JOHN SMITH WRITING FOR THE LIVING STORY TEAM?????

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Zomorros is a classic Djinn of the worst stripe. Woe to any who try to best him!

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Be careful what you ask for.

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

I really like this thread but like everything anet that does… the story was good but the rewards are utter crap, leaving most of us unsatisfied.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While the skin is nothing to write home about (although it fits a Necromancer!), the story and the hunt was really fun. Thanks for doing this, John.

Also, Zommoros really is a kitten. :P

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Lemark kicked in the door. “A WORM?!” he shouted, “NO… NO! A FREAKING 200 FOOT WORM!”
Zomorros was waiting for him, of course, a smirk on his smug face as he hovered at the end of the room. The whole place was lavishly decorated in a way that screamed wealth at anyone who entered. Zomorros wasn’t a being of subtlety… usually.
“My old friend,” Zomorros said lazily, his head tilted to one side as he examined Lemark’s battered appearance. “How are you? You don’t look so well, I’m sure I have something that can help that around here.”
“Save your gifts” Lemark spat, “I’ve no need for more chains”.
“Well, aren’t we dramatic today?” Zomorros replied with a smile as he continued to rummage through a chest of unorganized bottles.
Lemark began to walk deeper into the room. He rubbed a dirty hand across a tapestry that probably cost more than most Tyrians earned in their lifetime.
“I’ve come for what’s mine,” Lemark growled in what should have been an inaudible tone.
Zomorros turned with a scowl, all pretense of good humor evaporating. “There is a price for that”.
Lemark threw his pack across the room where it fell and slid into a wall beside Zomorros. The Djinn looked intently at the pack as it burst apart , the collected items hovering in air.
“No,” Zomorros almost sobbed, and Lemark was uncertain if it was a denial or disbelief.
“No,” Zomorros said again, more forcefully, “these are unacceptable!”
“They are not! The Contrac-”
“You do not want to hold the contract against me, child! This is mine and you cannot deserve it,” Zomorros said, visibly attempting to restrain his anger. “You don’t even know what it is.”
Lemark pulled a ratty parchment from his pocket and slammed it on the table in front of Zomorros. It glowed slightly in the Djinn’s presence.
Lemark put his hand on the parchment and stared directly into Zomorros’s eyes. “The contract,” he said slowly and precisely. The words echoed unnaturally around them.
A smile slowly transformed Zomorros’s features. The “skin” around his eyes tightened and his lips curled sadistically as looked up at Lemark from under his brow. “I am compelled,” Zomorros said slowly as a dagger bloomed from Lemark’s chest. The thief looked down in stunned disbelief. He legs went weak, but he caught himself with one arm on the table.
Lemark felt blood in his lungs; he held his breath and stood back up. Sheer stubbornness kept him on his feet as Zomorros moved in close.
Zomorros spoke softly, almost like a whisper, but every word was terribly clear and precise, “I never told you what this is”. He leaned in close enough that his face filled Lemark’s vision and wrapped his fingers around the hilt,
“It’s the reaper of souls.” He whispered as the dagger ripped free.

Whoa. The end of it there isn’t far from how I imagined the ending.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’m pretty disappointed.

I followed this thread since the very beginning, and checked back every hour…..
Tried umpteen million combos of things in the forge…. and

The last item was revealed while I was out…… and it was something that nobody would have ever guessed in a trillion kajillion years without the final hint…..

I feel like I got scammed.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m pretty disappointed.

I followed this thread since the very beginning, and checked back every hour…..
Tried umpteen million combos of things in the forge…. and

The last item was revealed while I was out…… and it was something that nobody would have ever guessed in a trillion kajillion years without the final hint…..

I feel like I got scammed.

Do you know how the combination for Seasatchel was found? Given the articles involved, it looks like another of those 100,000 to 1 coincidences.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Does this mean you didn’t write it yourself?

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

creative story telling and rewards linked with the story!

this is EXACTLY what i want more of!

i mean this item has meaning now!
back story on items is amazing why don’t we have more?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Well done to everyone involved! Thank you, John, for the storytelling and clues and supergratz to those who figured things out the answers.

Enjoyable all the way around

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Does this mean you didn’t write it yourself?

I’m definitely not a professional writer, but I did write this myself. I just thought that was a harder clue.

(edited by John Smith.4610)

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

does this mean we’ve found all mystic forge recipes???

Posted by: A L E X T H E K I D.8194

A L E X T H E K I D.8194

Are you kidding me? Another recycled skin from gw1?? It even looks worse… props to John for the awesome writing though..

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

I was hoping it was going to be the destroyer staff skin that’s been in the wardrobe for ages.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I was hoping it was going to be the destroyer staff skin that’s been in the wardrobe for ages.

Maybe next time

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

Maybe next time

apparently it’s also a skin from gw1 so maybe just maybe there is a recipe for it to

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

“Thank you for taking part in testing Scavenger Hunting, watch this space for more info on what we will add in game for you to be able to hunt down the rarest of artifacts.”

One can dream, right?

Kitten.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Great event and I love the skin.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

WHY ISNT JOHN SMITH WRITING FOR THE LIVING STORY TEAM?????

Because there’s a big difference between short connected vignettes like this, a short story, a novella, and a novel. Let alone between stand-alone fiction and a screenplay or a script for a video game.

It’s a very nice ending, and interesting to read through. But much like the short stories we were getting last season . . . would not translate well into a game.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I feel bad for those who waste their time and materials to see such thing.
(to whom it may concern)
your marketing strategy is lame, it was a good read after all.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

After all The Eye of Rodgort you needed to create the lidless eye first before making another part of the recipe to create a second one…hmmm.~

Oh and please learn from this guy.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.