4 million exp to next Mastery O.O

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: frayon.3984

frayon.3984

I got a kick out of seeing this. I finished up the stealth gliding tier of the masteries late on the first day and was watching how slowly the exp points were making it climb on the next tier. I checked to see why this was and saw 480k (roughly) done exp wise with 4,191,000 (exactly what I had) left to go. My reaction: burst out laughing. I don’t want this nerfed I loved seeing how much time I would have to put in to getting the second to last tier and don’t want that feeling to go away.

Thank you, Anet, that was amazing to see. Now I know when HoT launches and I choose only get mushroom jumping before I grind out my glider, the feeling of finally getting that tier will be amazing! I decided to hold off trying until HoT released just to savor it when I do get to fly around on my glinder without wasting the endurance bar.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: kankanKk.2748

kankanKk.2748

About 15 level.

frayon.3984

yeah i saw that while i was writing up the review for gliding. Lol, it is going to be a lot of fun to get there.

I wonder if anyone is trying to get Advanced Gliding over this weekend? It will be a slow grind for them if they are. Getting the 2 million for stealth was fun, but I think I am going to wait to savor the Advanced Gliding for when HoT launches

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Someone already has gotten it last night. It fairly easy, although time-consuming to do, if you feel that it’s worth doing. You just have to re-roll characters over and over while collecting the city map completion chests (plus Chantry of Secrets) in Verdant Brink.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Love the masteries so far. They are a lot of fun, and are actually meaningful.

I got the basic gliding and mushrooms and they make getting the further masteries much easier since it is easier to get around.

With bigger zones and more events it should be even better.

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

What is about the exp-boost? I would like to level slow the masteries, but if i’m left behind, cause other people using the boost and can finish events in seconds (i. q. with jumping mushrooms) while i have to climb the difficult way up. i will be dissapointed

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

ZudetGambeous.9573

What is about the exp-boost? I would like to level slow the masteries, but if i’m left behind, cause other people using the boost and can finish events in seconds (i. q. with jumping mushrooms) while i have to climb the difficult way up. i will be dissapointed

Only takes about an hour with no boosts and limited events to get bouncing mushrooms and then another hour for gliding so you won’t be left behind for very long if at all.

The more advanced masteries offer some cool stuff and take longer, but those 2 intro ones are the only ones you’ll really need.

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

You are actualy happy about how slow we get experience for leveling masterys OP? Somehow GRINDING, because that is what it is and to get maxed out masterys is endgame? Is this a kittening hoax? Is this next level sarcasm that is just too high for me to grasp? How the flying kitten did you (and Anet for that matter) fabricate the thought process that grinding experience is somehow endgame and using those skills to add new layers of world exploration is just a fortunate side effect? Because to me, that is the message you (and Anet) is conveying to me right now. If it would take me 50+ hours of straight up FARMING experience to max out JUST 1 MASTERY TRACK and be done with collection maguuma items with said mastery in far less time then it required me to get that one line of maxed out mastery I’d feel devestated. It looks like Anet is artificially prolonging the replay time of HoT and lobotimizing its player base by using ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE GRIND WALLS TO LOCK AWAY CONTENT.

Don’t get me wrong, the elite specs are funs, the maps look pretty darn amazing but doing those meta events 10 times in a row and spending hours a day for a week just to get the last tier of mastery is beyond mental. Also, which lazy person couldn’t make a jungle outfit for lord faren?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I didn’t think it was that bad to get the basics. I’ve put in a few hours and got 2 levels of flying and one of mushroom jumping. That’s enough for traveling and getting around. The rest is a grind, sure, but if you play in the new area you’re going to get them eventually. This is something that’s supposed to take a long time to finish.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

frayon.3984

You are actualy happy about how slow we get experience for leveling masterys OP? Somehow GRINDING, because that is what it is and to get maxed out masterys is endgame? Is this a kittening hoax? Is this next level sarcasm that is just too high for me to grasp? How the flying kitten did you (and Anet for that matter) fabricate the thought process that grinding experience is somehow endgame and using those skills to add new layers of world exploration is just a fortunate side effect? Because to me, that is the message you (and Anet) is conveying to me right now. If it would take me 50+ hours of straight up FARMING experience to max out JUST 1 MASTERY TRACK and be done with collection maguuma items with said mastery in far less time then it required me to get that one line of maxed out mastery I’d feel devestated. It looks like Anet is artificially prolonging the replay time of HoT and lobotimizing its player base by using ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE GRIND WALLS TO LOCK AWAY CONTENT.

Don’t get me wrong, the elite specs are funs, the maps look pretty darn amazing but doing those meta events 10 times in a row and spending hours a day for a week just to get the last tier of mastery is beyond mental. Also, which lazy person couldn’t make a jungle outfit for lord faren?

We will have more than the meta events to level with come launch of HoT (story and so on) plus we are only seeing pieces of the first map and the night events they said are not the ones they currently have in the game. Yeah, it’s time consuming, but that’t what I have missed about the game. Something that feels grindy so that when you finally get it, it feels great knowing you have made it there.

Posted by: Pukc.6328

Pukc.6328

To go from 1-80 you 4,860,359. To unlock one mastery track you need 16,891,000 exp. There are 4 for maguuma, 1 for pact stuff, 1 for fractals and then there’s the precursor mastery track/tacks.

You guys have fun now

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

First of all, most masteries are soft-gated, meaning that you can still do the content, but you will have a more difficult time. I’m assuming the 3 maps will be more difficult and require more masteries, but that’s great because it’s a sense of progression.

Second of all, with the massive amounts of xp most veteran players get daily with xp boosts and likewise, it’s designed so people don’t shred through everything so quickly.

Another thing to note, is that these masteries are designed to be long-term, meaning you don’t complete these in 1-3 weeks (I hope).

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

-snip-

You get experience for literally everything in GW2. Just play the game and you’ll get the masteries eventually.

noice

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

that does not seem like much. I think a lot of people will have masteries maxed in 2 weeks :/

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Rainiris.1975

Rainiris.1975

Don’t get me wrong, the elite specs are funs, the maps look pretty darn amazing but doing those meta events 10 times in a row and spending hours a day for a week just to get the last tier of mastery is beyond mental.

Enviroment makes the difference. We only have two different meta events in the beta, about 1 per outpust (which should translate in about 5 in the full map and I’m sure they’re holding back something else). That means 5 different event chains with different plot, adventures, Night-time defenses, Raids, Personal Story, and whatever the next sets of maps are compromised by.

The sense of grind comes from the limited enviroment. Its gone after you’re presented with enough choices. Which we wont till October 23rd.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

on the one hand i want everything right now! on the other though it has been a lot of fun working towards and finally unlocking even just the first tiers of gliding and mushroom jumping and it changed the experience of playing on the map a lot more than i exepected. i think if they want to extend that experience for a bit longer then thats ok with me

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Setz.9675

We will have more than the meta events to level with come launch of HoT (story and so on) plus we are only seeing pieces of the first map and the night events they said are not the ones they currently have in the game. Yeah, it’s time consuming, but that’t what I have missed about the game. Something that feels grindy so that when you finally get it, it feels great knowing you have made it there.

After I finished my first legendary (twilight) I felt EMPTY, there was no accomplishment, there was no skill, there was no pride only the memories of a garbage tier grind.

Just pointing out, the experience you get everywhere like 186k exp from a dungeon path or 23k exp for a skill point in tyria DOES NOT APPLY to heart of maguuma masterys. Only those boring events and kills grant experience towards that.

And if Anet needs to gate exploration behind grindwalls so people wouldn’t finish within a week or 3 then it is fairly obvious the challenge wasnt high enough and the hard too reach areas to easy to reach.

(edited by Setz.9675)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

And if Anet needs to gate exploration behind grindwalls so people wouldn’t finish within a week or 3 then it is fairly obvious the challenge wasnt high enough and the hard too reach areas to easy to reach.

Making ascended mats time gated is probably a good indication that Anet is not above relying on this.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

ZudetGambeous.9573

After I finished my first legendary (twilight) I felt EMPTY, there was no accomplishment, there was no skill, there was no pride only the memories of a garbage tier grind.

Just pointing out, the experience you get everywhere like 186k exp from a dungeon path or 23k exp for a skill point in tyria DOES NOT APPLY to heart of maguuma masterys. Only those boring events and kills grant experience towards that.

There are skill points in HoT

Also those will apply to tyria masteries.

That’s also not how MMO’s work. Open world is grindy and repetitive to keep casuals playing. If they run into a challenge where they are making no progress they quit. Instances like raids are for more intense people who like content to be extended by challenges.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Hmmm.. I’m still trying to get up to 10mil Kurzick points in GW1. This is nothing.

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

To go from 1-80 you 4,860,359. To unlock one mastery track you need 16,891,000 exp. There are 4 for maguuma, 1 for pact stuff, 1 for fractals and then there’s the precursor mastery track/tacks.

You guys have fun now

It is indeed a fair bit of a grind. There should be something rewarding along the way in between each level of mastery.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Personally I don’t like grinding an xp bar out to be able to spend the mastery points. I find getting the mastery points to be fun but a boring slog to actually be able to spend them. Repeating events ad nauseum to grind out that yellow bar is the most boring part of the expansion. Maybe it’ll be better when we have the full maps to work with but for now it’s a chore doing the same 2 event chains 5x over to fill the bar.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Setz.9675

That’s also not how MMO’s work. Open world is grindy and repetitive to keep casuals playing. If they run into a challenge where they are making no progress they quit. Instances like raids are for more intense people who like content to be extended by challenges.

How is farming 8 million experience for the last part of a mastery not a challenge where you make no progress? Oh wauw, my yellow experience bar increased by 15% after spending 4 hours doing events today, Im really getting somewhere…

I know that this is an incomplete beta but it has to be said that with the current tools, it’s no fun at all leveling masterys.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

How is farming 8 million experience for the last part of a mastery not a challenge where you make no progress? Oh wauw, my yellow experience bar increased by 15% after spending 4 hours doing events today, Im really getting somewhere…

I know that this is an incomplete beta but it has to be said that with the current tools, it’s no fun at all leveling masterys.

I’m not sure what you honestly expect Anet to do about it.

They aren’t going to let people just max them out in the first week of HoT and they will never be able to produce enough engaging, unique content to provide mastery xp over a long term.

If they make it even remotely hard to get the xp but at a much smaller amount, people will rage quit the game. Just look at how many casuals are salty over the audacity of them creating raids with unique rewards.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

People like you want everything fast and without efforts on this game and that’s not how Maguuma should be as end game content.

I find fair the way they made It and you gonna need spend time for get rewarded, deal with it.

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

(edited by Sinzaku.2980)

frayon.3984

I decided to try leveling it through events and with the aid of xp boosts, it takes about a day (not that I didn’t finish getting it because I am still debating if I want it before the actual launch of the game) but while it seems like grind, it really isn’t. Events are 10-18k xp, kills 500-3,000 (sometimes more depending on if you’re using a booster and excluding the bonus xp for being in a populated area). Over all, it’s not too bad to get 4mil considering how many events are on the maps. So, yeah, there’s “grind,” but it’s not bad grind. I’ve seen a lot worse… It feels just about right for what the masteries.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I got a kick out of seeing this. I finished up the stealth gliding tier of the masteries late on the first day and was watching how slowly the exp points were making it climb on the next tier. I checked to see why this was and saw 480k (roughly) done exp wise with 4,191,000 (exactly what I had) left to go. My reaction: burst out laughing. I don’t want this nerfed I loved seeing how much time I would have to put in to getting the second to last tier and don’t want that feeling to go away.

Thank you, Anet, that was amazing to see. Now I know when HoT launches and I choose only get mushroom jumping before I grind out my glider, the feeling of finally getting that tier will be amazing! I decided to hold off trying until HoT released just to savor it when I do get to fly around on my glinder without wasting the endurance bar.

this is nothing at all ,when you get already exp worth of a level up nearly everytime you do a Dungeon run !!!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: famfamfam.9137

famfamfam.9137

I wonder if anyone is trying to get Advanced Gliding over this weekend? It will be a slow grind for them if they are. Getting the 2 million for stealth was fun, but I think I am going to wait to savor the Advanced Gliding for when HoT launches

I completed Advanced Gliding early on Saturday (along with tier 4 of Itzel Lore) by levelling through events and kills in Verdant Brink. Its super fun to be able to glide anywhere without using endurance and absolutely worth working towards over time.

HoT mastery tracks look like they’ll take about 4 days to master up to Tier 6 if you’re going fairly hard. Getting lower tiers of mastery takes no time at all, you can unlock Tier 1 Gliding from completing 20 events without any banners/food/utility buffs active.

(edited by famfamfam.9137)

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

That’s only 16 levels. Do you know how fast I got those in past? That’s like 1 day of serious play (less even). 2-5 days of casual play. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, with the limited masteries coming, I think that’s on the low side, but then I play a lot.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

this is nothing at all ,when you get already exp worth of a level up nearly everytime you do a Dungeon run !!!

There is just one slight problem: Youw on’t get a single EXP for the mastery track for anything you do outside of Maguuma. Which is annoying as F. However, Raids could, in theory, gain you one million EXP+ per run. Which would be infuriating but it is possible. I don’T have a problem with the mushroom track though, but i definitly have a problem with the gliding and lore tracks. Because the respective last tiers allow you access to the last slivers of the map and last content…which is kittenpoor design.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

ZudetGambeous.9573

There is just one slight problem: Youw on’t get a single EXP for the mastery track for anything you do outside of Maguuma. Which is annoying as F. However, Raids could, in theory, gain you one million EXP+ per run. Which would be infuriating but it is possible. I don’T have a problem with the mushroom track though, but i definitly have a problem with the gliding and lore tracks. Because the respective last tiers allow you access to the last slivers of the map and last content…which is kittenpoor design.

Actually you will progress the tyria masteries which if you want to unlock legendaries will be quite important.

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

I sure hope that you realise this’ll ensure you will have to grind open world events in the Maguuma Jungle for the rest of 2015 if you intend to unlock all of the masteries. Unless the mastery system is reworked I can imagine that the only challenge will be to not fall asleep while you run along with the rest of the zerg in order to complete the same event for the 117th time.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I would actually argue that it doesn’t require enough experience. These will be obtainable fairly fast (within months), so I wouldn’t mind having them as long term goals. Now they’re in between short and medium.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I sure hope that you realise this’ll ensure you will have to grind open world events in the Maguuma Jungle for the rest of 2015 if you intend to unlock all of the masteries. Unless the mastery system is reworked I can imagine that the only challenge will be to not fall asleep while you run along with the rest of the zerg in order to complete the same event for the 117th time.

Yes, the events are fun when there are not so much people and when they are new.

When there are a lot of people, it is just zerging down everything, which is not fun for me and doing the same zerg-event over and over does also not sound like fun.

So I really hope that there will be enough fun things do do that can be repeated and that give decent exp.

Orpheal.8263

people seem to forget, how many extreme ways exist in this game to increase significantly your Exp gains …

Just to remember you all on that:

Account Bound Bonus Ex from gettign Achievements.
Most very active players should have here already like +20% or more

Hero Booster/Exp booster
50% more Exp from Enemy Kills
100% more Exp for Kill Streaks

Laurel Booster
+30% more Exp from Kills

Lunar Booster
Another +10% Exp from Kills

Food and Potions
Increases another 20% Exp on Kills

Guild Banner and Bonus
15% more Exp from Kills

WvW Bonus
Another maximum 10% more Exsp from Kills

Birthday Cake
+100% Exp from Kills

General Exp Bonus for long not Killed enemies
+100%

So if you kill long not killed enemies with all these buffs on, you can get a total exp bonus of steadiyl increasing (due to accoutn bound bonus) for this example: + kitten Exp

And thats just from kills, you naturally get also huge exp boosts for every event done and the map is full of events everywhere.
Then you have your Dailies that reward you with Exp Items that give you fix % based boosts to your Exp

For the Tyrian Masteries you can use dungeons/fractals , that I should have mentioned naturally, sure.
For the maguuman masteries you can’t use dungeons, unless we see somewhen finally new Dungeons with one placed in the maguuma region…

However, this should just show you, that if you put into that the right efforts, you can significaly easily push your exp progression by alot to speed of the mastery maxing.
and im also pretty sure, that doing raids will help alot for working on the masteries and that the maguuman raids can surely bee seen as the equivalent there for dungeons in regard of having a palce, where you get rewarded at the end with a real massive exp boost thats helps to brign you quickly forward on the mastery track.

Devildoc.6721

people seem to forget, how many extreme ways exist in this game to increase significantly your Exp gains …

You seem to forget that kills offer literally the lowest exp amount that you can possibly get in game. Ressing a dead NPC gives more xp than killing a mob that just respawned, mining a mithril node gives more xp, discovering a new recipe in crafting, finding a POI, viewing a vista, all of these give more xp than killing mobs.

So sure, you can get bonus xp, but it is on the lowest source of xp in the game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You seem to forget that kills offer literally the lowest exp amount that you can possibly get in game. Ressing a dead NPC gives more xp than killing a mob that just respawned, mining a mithril node gives more xp, discovering a new recipe in crafting, finding a POI, viewing a vista, all of these give more xp than killing mobs.

So sure, you can get bonus xp, but it is on the lowest source of xp in the game.

I thought the new XP boosters give you XP bonus from all sources.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

This will the champ train in Queensdale all over again

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Thank god there’s no grinding in PvP, this sounds horrible.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Orpheal.8263

lol, how often do you find someone to revive over say 1h and hpow often do you mine nodes over say 1 hour, compared to killing masses of monster over say 1h?

Hmm? Right, you kill in that time easily tons of times monre monsters, than you will mine anything or revive anyone, so your argument is lacking.
With all those exp giving boosters on in a map full of lots of enemies, especially when they spawn in masses in the events, gives you significantly more exp, then you running stupidly around searching for nodes in the same time…
And rezzing people will more likely happen in events with lots of enemies, so there it’s much more likely that you will happen to get that nice extra exp every now and then there in events, as instead when you go farming nodes, where it is extremely unlikely, that you will ever meet someone to rezz at such a spot

Theres a reason for it, that the game offers so extreme much exp boosters on kills, because its essentially the thing, that you do mostly all the time constantly much more often over a certain time period, then mining stuff and rezzing people…. and with all those buffs, an high account bonus ect. p you will definetely get more exp per kill, than from a silly mining node or from rezzing someone.

No clues, how you get on the idea, that rezzing people and mining stuff is more efficient, than killing in short time masses of enemies with all these buffs on oO shrugs

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: kankanKk.2748

kankanKk.2748

Three years ago, lots of people rushing 80 in 3 days headstart and quit.
Same, people will rush all mastery and quit in a week after HOT release.
Enjoy the game. You will get all mastery sometime. The amount of exp is not impossible.

(edited by kankanKk.2748)

Orpheal.8263

Sure, i won#t rush it, i will just play the game normal, as I do usually, without rushing anythign with tons of buffs ect. ^^

I’ll maybe start this first, when I see, that i’m finished with all the HoT Content and I see that there is still tons of masteries left at that moment which aren’t completed then.
If thats the case, that the content isn’t balanced around the player progression, then I might use most likely stuff to speed my progress up, so that I am faster able to partipipate in Raids without fearing, that I might be a burden for the others, due to not having mastered until then the right masteries that are needed

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Think of masteries like achievement chests, you will get them eventually, just play the game as normal.
No need to have them all fast, else after 1 month you will be bored with no goal and be all “qq nothing to do , this expansion sux!”.

Devildoc.6721

Think of masteries like achievement chests, you will get them eventually, just play the game as normal.
No need to have them all fast, else after 1 month you will be bored with no goal and be all “qq nothing to do , this expansion sux!”.

not at all comparable, and there will be raids to do. Not everyone sits there drooling at the keyboard and unable to figure out what to do next once the yellow bar stops moving.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I don’t know how many of you used mutliple Beta characters but the amount is most likely due to how Mastery is a Account Bound leveling system so all characters, even ones that are not lvl 80 yet, will share the Mastery Benefits unlocked for your account.

Guess the large Exp pool is due to the Mastery System being account bound rather than character bound so Anet may be expecting players to be leveling Mastery through multiple characters due to how certain players will be playing through HoT Main Storyline to experience how different it is for different characters.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah.. chill, you’ll get everything in 1 year of playing HoT….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

1. Masteries are account bound
2. I’m fairly sure you can level them up through exp you get anywhere. You simply need to unlock them by getting mastery points in the relevant region. So I can go to HoT, unlock the track I want, then go back to WvW and level up the track while playing WvW.

3. False. You can go from 2-80 in 6-8 hours or so using killstreak booster + other boosters you may have.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

2. I’m fairly sure you can level them up through exp you get anywhere. You simply need to unlock them by getting mastery points in the relevant region. So I can go to HoT, unlock the track I want, then go back to WvW and level up the track while playing WvW.

3. False. You can go from 2-80 in 6-8 hours or so using killstreak booster + other boosters you may have.

2. is wrong. You can only gain XP towards a mastery while in the region that Mastery track belongs to. It’s why noone this BWE has, for example, gain xp towards Gliding while testing out builds for fractals and Wuv.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

2. is wrong. You can only gain XP towards a mastery while in the region that Mastery track belongs to. It’s why noone this BWE has, for example, gain xp towards Gliding while testing out builds for fractals and Wuv.

yeah you’re right, I’m just re-reading the articles again and they auto change when you switch regions. So you have one mastery track slotted for training per region. Not one mastery track slotted for training.