Ancient Magics masteryline.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vaffelman.6954

Vaffelman.6954

Since i just recently started to play gw2 again and bought the expansion i didn’t get to play ep1 of season 3 living world.
This is apparently giving me big problems for this episode of the livingworld. :Ep5
Since i never played it i can’t unlock the traitline Ancient Magics at all. I tried using Friend teleport to a friend in the area to unlock it but i just get ported back before it gets unlocked.
So my question is, do i really need to spend 200 gems to buy ep1 of season 3 to play this episode? I can’t really afford that and i kinda feel like i should be able to play this CURRENT episode without being punished for being in the Army during ep1

Vaffelmannen / Vaffelman / Krigs Vaffel
We Be Chilling Core
GH

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

The mastery is not needed to complete the episode. You can play without it. It is fun as heck, but not required.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You only require the mastery for 100% map and achievements. It is not required to complete the story.

If you want to do the rest, I’m afraid you will need to start the episode 1 story since the entire mastery track will only unlock from a point in the story (all the rest after that shouldn’t be gated)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’d strongly consider this a bug. OP you should file a support ticket and see if they can unlock the mastery line for you.

It really should be changed so that its unlockable from any LWS3 map, not just bloodstone fen. There’s no reason to put some of the masteries behind a paywall just because you missed a different episode. I imagine it was just an oversight on ANet’s part.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The wiki says that the “Unlock requirement” for Ancient Magics is "Entering any of the Living World Season 3 maps ". So I’d say this should be reported as a bug.

It might not be required to complete Episode 5, but it is required for other episodes and you can’t get Oakheart’s Reach without first unlocking the previous tiers.

And it really is a lot of fun to navigate with it; it’s my favorite LW3 skill so far.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Elsewhere in the Wiki it states one enters Bloodstone Fen to unlock the track. Thus, I’m not sure the Wiki can always be what determines bugs. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Maguuma_mastery_tracks#Ancient_Magics

Regardless, a support ticket may answer the question.

Good luck.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Should give it a look I guess. I think this is the first map to really require masteries.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Elsewhere in the Wiki it states one enters Bloodstone Fen to unlock the track. Thus, I’m not sure the Wiki can always be what determines bugs. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Maguuma_mastery_tracks#Ancient_Magics

Good point.

It might be that the Mastery article was accurate during episode 2 and no one checked since to find out if it held true for the other maps.

Or it might be incorrect from the get go. The anonymous user who added “any map” made only that one update, so there’s no way to check their reliability. i.e. “needs verification” (and it’s probably hard to verify, since wiki veterans are likely to already have it unlocked and non-veteran editors aren’t likely to think to check before|after).

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Correct me if I’m wrong

But the mastery unlocked once you were gifted the device that allowed you to collect unbound magic through the story. The older masteries required unbound in order to unlock additional skills after all. However for those who are missing the story like yourself the device should be sold at unbound magic vendors.

If not then I’d say it’s a bug or something

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

It sure is something….

Seems unlocking Ancient magics masteries needed for Ep5 is stuck behind a pay wall? This a bug? I paid for HoT and installed it but am missing 2 Episodes and got 2 others without paying even though 1 of them had past. And in order to unlock any magics, i have to unlock all LS episodes not one at a time like it says from the Masteries tab.. (masteries tab>Heart of Maguuma>Ancient Magics…"Travel to Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay to unlock)… Out of shadows 200gems/ Rising Flames 200gems. I can’t do Ember bay first because Bloodfen magics masteries “Counter Magic” need to be unlocked first before proceeding on……. So really its 400gems (should have been included with HoT) + do all LS episodes and their ancient magics mastery lines first before doing Ep5 which is all i really want to do in the first place.

It’d be really nice if we could just unlock the Ancient Magics Masteries by entering any LS3 map and able to do any mastery track we wanted, even if out of order, Especially since thermal tubes is the 1 Masteryline needed for ALL maps unlike the rest of the Ancient magic Masteries are map specific.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not 100% sure, but if someone who hasn’t already unlocked it wants to try, there’s an item called unbound magic gatherer.

It’s sold by the unbound magic npc at the beginning of each LS zone for 5 gold. There’s a chance it unlocks the mastery track since it allows you to collect unbound magic which is the first mastery you get.

I can’t try it myself, because I’ve already unlocked the mastery. I might be able to try it on a second account when time permits, and I’ll post the results again, but I don’t have time at the moment to play the story to get to those zones on alt accounts.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If one peruses the Wiki carefully, one can find a ‘cheese’ way to unlock Ancient Magics (without acquiring the first/second Episode). This method may be ‘fixed’ once known to the Devs (if it is not already known and approved of).

Good luck.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If one peruses the Wiki carefully, one can find a ‘cheese’ way to unlock Ancient Magics (without acquiring the first/second Episode). This method may be ‘fixed’ once known to the Devs (if it is not already known and approved of).

Good luck.

I don’t know why you are being so vague, its very, very unlikely that it was intended that you needed to have played episode 1 to unlock the mastery line.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Even though I logged in during episodes 1-3 of season 3 to unlock them, Lake Doric was the first new map i played and now draconis mons.

When I wanted to train the Ancient Magic Mastery line, it told me to go to bloodstone fen or ember bay to unlock it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even though I logged in during episodes 1-3 of season 3 to unlock them, Lake Doric was the first new map i played and now draconis mons.

When I wanted to train the Ancient Magic Mastery line, it told me to go to bloodstone fen or ember bay to unlock it.

Good to know.

That’s a little disappointing to me, though. Of course, I’m not happy with skills or map gating of any sort.

Posted by: maxan.7836

maxan.7836

Maybe someone here could help me. I have 3/5 ancient magics completed. The tick in my mastery section is on ‘nuhoch lore’ with one more to do for completion – I would like to tick ancient magics but it won’t let me. I thought I could change them around – Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It should let you. I can change mine around to whichever one I choose. You could try a -repair of the client, or contact the CS Team. Both are accessed via the ‘Support’ link above/below. ‘Search – Repair’ for the former and ‘Submit a Ticket’ for the latter.

Good luck.

Posted by: Vaffelman.6954

Vaffelman.6954

Made a ticket and i got a useless response. Should i try to make another ticket or something? or do i really accept this kitten?

“Thank you for contacting the Guild Wars 2 Support Team.

Unfortunately, you will have to purchase the episode since you were not able to log in to the game to unlock it during that time. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns by replying to this e-mail."

Vaffelmannen / Vaffelman / Krigs Vaffel
We Be Chilling Core
GH

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Were you unable to purchase the Unbound Magic Gatherer?

G R E E N E R

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^You will have to either do one or the other of the following: Ancient Magics is unlocked after entering Bloodstone Fen during the story of Out of the Shadows, or after entering Ember Bay during the story of Rising Flames.

It should not take long to acquire the necessary Gold amount to convert to 200 Gems.

Good luck.