Are spears going to be on land?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: KingSteven.9752

KingSteven.9752

With HoT coming out, I really want my paragons.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i think it was confirmed in the PAX after party that they’re not happening, at least not this expansion.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

I’d really like clarification on this too. The only thing they said wouldn’t be in was polearms, so I wish people would stop saying spears definitely won’t see terrestrial use based on on vague information.

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

They confirmed that spears would remain underwater. The spears/polearms in the trailer were just for artistic effect.

Posted by: Lithlius.5087

Lithlius.5087

But Revenant Uses a Poleram on the trailer. he smacks a new troll on the head so thats not cosmethic. or is it a staff used as a melee weapon? which sounds silly

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

It was a long thin object with no blade visible.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

But Revenant Uses a Poleram on the trailer. he smacks a new troll on the head so thats not cosmethic. or is it a staff used as a melee weapon? which sounds silly

Staff as a melee weapon sounds silly? Is that what you meant or have I mis-read what you wrote.

You might want to look up Robin Hood v Little John while we round up some weapon nerds to explain things.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Maybe it was some kind of unusual hammer skin? (you know, there are whisky bottles as focus or mace)

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

They confirmed that spears would remain underwater. The spears/polearms in the trailer were just for artistic effect.

Got a link with confirmation? Only thing I’ve read about not having them is by some dude on reddit.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Staff as a melee weapon sounds silly? Is that what you meant or have I mis-read what you wrote.

You might want to look up Robin Hood v Little John while we round up some weapon nerds to explain things.

The sometimes delicate, ornate, for-use-in-magic, staves of GW2 are a little different from quarterstaves.
I can certainly see some of GW2’s staves being used to physically hit someone with, but there are plenty that look like they would break on contact. That being the case, a GW2 magic-staff as a melee does indeed sound silly.

Rytlocks weapon could have been a weird hammer, or something related to his Revenant abilities, or the art team is full of (to use a nicer word) meanies and put a spear in because their artistic vision was more important to them then the players and the integrity of the trailer.

(edited by Arewn.2368)

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I’m gonna go with “revenant ability”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

It was a long thin object with no blade visible.

Huh? No blade?

Somebody linked a screen shot of it twice showing Rytlock’s pole weapon he had, has a blade at the end.

Can somebody please share that pic again please. Hope it wasn’t photoshopped….

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The sometimes delicate, ornate, for-use-in-magic, staves of GW2 are a little different from quarterstaves.
I can certainly see some of GW2’s staves being used to physically hit someone with, but there are plenty that look like they would break on contact. That being the case, a GW2 magic-staff as a melee does indeed sound silly.

Rytlocks weapon could have been a weird hammer, or something related to his Revenant abilities, or the art team is full of (to use a nicer word) meanies and put a spear in because their artistic vision was more important to them then the players and the integrity of the trailer.

Ah. I was thinking the poster had never heard of a quarter staff, if that’s what he or she was even meaning. Hard to tell what people know about anymore.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Argol Vazin.3061

Argol Vazin.3061

I will never understand why Developers do this.

Firth Bethesda teased us with Spears in Skyrim and now Anet.

Spears are the most common military weapon right next to swords. in fact spears saw more use due to their versatility. it boggle the mind that spears are often depicted as just a two handed weapon. or just a throwing weapon when it could be used 1h,2h and thrown.

The assets are in the game there is no need to make a slew of new skins. all they have to do is translate the spear from water to land. they could have a specialization to make use of this.
Warrior>Soldier, 2 handed spear
Guardian > Knight, Spear and shield

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tsiox/pax_afterparty_lessons_learned/

‘We talked polearms. No polearms in this expansion. Colin said “We warned the art team what the community would think when they saw the trailer, but they chose to make things the way they did.” It looks like a polearm but it is not. No word if they ever will be.’

This is the only information we actually have. We also know that they did basic development for polearms but scrapped it before release, which were also distinct from spears.

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

Actually ,Spear is the most used weapon on history of mankind….but sadly Anet don’t see it that way. I will be very disappointed if warrior don’t get spear or DH axe or at least a staff . Sorry but warrior is a MALE Class end spear is a must have weapon on hes armory . Spear is the first weapon created more then 5 mill years ago but i guess history don’t apply in GW2…..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear
Oh well SC is coming end my HYPE is over learning that warrior will get some junk weapon that probably wont even apply for a warrior..well to bad
This expatiation will make or break the game for me end so far …..no spear…no money
Have a nice day !

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Could you imagine someone beating on someone with Kasmeer’s staff, which is literally only held together by magic?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Sankekur.9182

Sankekur.9182

Seriously. Look at the teaser trailer for HoT after you finished the last mission.
SPEARS EVERYWHERE. Seriously. All the Sylvari fight with Spears! Even the pupil of Mordremoth forms from a corpse, held up by a spear!

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I want to use a speargun on land.

Posted by: Crash.5362

Crash.5362

If they’re not adding Pole-Arms, Nor land spears, NOR Two-handed axes… Wow…
This will have to be my biggest disappointment with the game so far. ubelievably that a game that haves TORCHES and Warhorns as weapons dont have the most commonly used weapon in world’s history. (Spears) And the most effective and popular as warfare (PoleArms)

I think this is the first “medieval” MMO ever to not include neither Spears, Nor pole-arms nor 2h axes in their weapon choices.

Posted by: Argol Vazin.3061

Argol Vazin.3061

Actually ,Spear is the most used weapon on history of mankind….but sadly Anet don’t see it that way. I will be very disappointed if warrior don’t get spear or DH axe or at least a staff . Sorry but warrior is a MALE Class end spear is a must have weapon on hes armory . Spear is the first weapon created more then 5 mill years ago but i guess history don’t apply in GW2…..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear
Oh well SC is coming end my HYPE is over learning that warrior will get some junk weapon that probably wont even apply for a warrior..well to bad
This expatiation will make or break the game for me end so far …..no spear…no money
Have a nice day !

Um. WTF was with that uncalled for burst of “MALE class” nonsense. I mean I am not going to throw around the word sexism but seriously. that was just out of nowhere and uncalled for.