As your average casual player........

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: tym.3791

tym.3791

So I finally went into the new expansion. This Map is WAY to hard core for me, as a casual player. Every Hero Point is a freaking champ? Really The whole thing is simply confusing, and its hard to find anything.

So its impossible to really wonder around alone, no way you can snag allot of the Hero Points alone, and good luck finding allot of them.

In my humble opinion, the whole expansion needs one serious nerf. Leave the hero points at 10 points, turn them into vets, calm down all the freaking mobs, let us casual players enjoy the game, and do so alone. No fun if you have to spend all your time running for your life, instead of enjoying the game, exploring the map, and checking out the fun stuff.

Posted by: ferdi.1452

ferdi.1452

I think the difficulty is ok once you get used to it. The only problem I have is that if I want to play a decent HoT map I have to spend 10-20 minutes in the LFG.

Posted by: Klangy.8293

Klangy.8293

I did all that, solo. Not a problem. Only IF u want 100% u need to take all HP. But signs u are casual u dont need it.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I did all that, solo. Not a problem. Only IF u want 100% u need to take all HP. But signs u are casual u dont need it.

Yup did it all solo, no problem.

No I didn’t though.

HoT is not too bad, keep moving and dodging, don’t stop to look at your map unless your in a safe place.

Some places are hard to get to, I don’t like that either but have to put up with it.

Hero points, I just hang about a bit for other people to show up, or come back later.

Some champs are impossible “solo”.

I don’t see how “signs u are casual u dont need it” even comes into it, what has that even got to do with it.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Klangy.8293

Well signs The only thing you get from 100% complete is stuff for legendary. I think if u call yourself casual u will not get legendary anyway. It’s total of 40HP and u need 25 for elite. And it’s not like u running around solo either. And the small events pre meta is easy solable.

tym.3791

Well if you can solo a champ, and all the mobs, your WAY better at this game than I am. For me, I will simply get every Hero Point in tyria I can, then get a friend that plays, go knock out enough Hero Points to get my elete skill, then avoid that map at all costs.

IMHO, I can see ANET putting the nerf hammer to this map. You should NOT have to beg for help to get your hero points. You should be able to run around, by yourself, enjoy the game instead of spending all your time solo running for your toons life. What fun is that????

Posted by: Asura.6209

Asura.6209

When Anet combined “SW mobs type/JP/Hero points/Maze” together, that will be a “Disaster” to a casual player. Why not follow the mode of Tyria? Normal map but let SW/Dry Top this kind of map stand alone. Why force most casual players to accept those they really don’t want? GW2 is an unique type game, why follow or learn from others MMO game?

(edited by Asura.6209)

Solid Gold.9310

Well signs The only thing you get from 100% complete is stuff for legendary. I think if u call yourself casual u will not get legendary anyway. It’s total of 40HP and u need 25 for elite. And it’s not like u running around solo either. And the small events pre meta is easy solable.

Wait, you didn’t “solo” it all then ?

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Scaling hero points.

1-2 people are around it spawns a Veteran
2-10 people it spawns a champion
10+ people it spawns a legendary.

There, everyone’s happy.

I think if u call yourself casual u will not get legendary anyway.

I work 8:30-5:00 on weekdays, so I play a few hours each day and maybe a bit more on a weekend. I’d consider myself casual right now based on the hours I put in. Two days ago I looked at my bank and realised I probably had enough to craft one. So yesterday I did.

My point is, it’s a bit misleading to suggest that people who only have a few hours to put into the game each day “will not get a legendary anyway”. I think it’s even more true of the new legendaries. Whilst there may be more work in them there’s less you can straight-up pay for, meaning that everyone can put a little effort toward them over time.

Legendary armour, however, is a completely different matter.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

Casual players can still enjoy all aspects of the new maps.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Only IF u want 100% u need to take all HP. But signs u are casual u dont need it.

A lot of casual players do map completions. It has nothing to do with “needing” something at all.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m a casual player and I have a legendary. A lot of casual players have legendaries.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

if we turn into hardcore players

Alteraphim.4629

Change your build up and experiment with new builds, join a guild, ask in map chat for help. None of these things make you hardcore and soon you will be back to pressing 1 and winning just like the old days.

Posted by: Thorin.9624

Thorin.9624

The idea of the scaling difficulty on the hero points is a very good idea and should be looked at by anet. And btw it is since not signs

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I am a casual player and yet I have full ascended and a legendary and the second one will be thanks to collections before Christmas (I don’t call it Holiday season as crazy Americans do just so they don’t upset minorities, lol back to my point), I have fully explored first 3 maps of HoT, and YET I want them to make it easier!!!! Not for my sake, but for everyone’s else. The maps are almost empty. Nobody wants to play in those maze maps when they have to run for their lifes without being able to stop and actually enjoy it for a second. Emptiness of these maps just proves my point. + there is this grossly overturned difficulty for succeeding meta.

(edited by Mortifer.2946)

Klangy.8293

I did it all solo to get around 80% of the map. HP for elite is only 25 over 4 maps, not hard either. I call myself casual, but i like the hard part, put some effort in. Ofc i dident do 100% complete solo. As u say some HP are champs. But it’s an mmo and simple write in chat helped me kill those stuff. I really enjoy hot as you mix your build all the time when u running around. Møre then just press 1,1,1,1 and be done with it. I dont think you should call yourself casual, more like bad player, or ignorant.

Alteraphim.4629

I am a casual player and yet I have full ascended and a legendary and the second one will be thanks to collections before Christmas (I don’t call it Holiday season as crazy Americans do just so they don’t upset minorities, lol back to my point), I have fully explored first 3 maps of HoT, and YET I want them to make it easier!!!! Not for my sake, but for everyone’s else. The maps are almost empty. Nobody wants to play in those maze maps when they have to run for their lifes without being able to stop and actually enjoy it for a second. Emptiness of these maps just proves my point. + there is this grossly overturned difficulty for succeeding meta.

Since there is no way of knowing how many overflow maps are present emptiness of the map proves nothing. Your evidence is anecdotal, without real data you don’t have a point. Are you running berserker gear?

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

Depends what some of you define as casual, or as it seems to me some of you are more like semi-casual/semi-hardcore, because casual casual is what the OP seems to be and the original GW2 was designed that way (a lot easier, more relaxed).

HoT became way too difficult for some and it’s understandable. Doesn’t mean that some of you enjoy it the way it is everyone has to.

This is not the time to boast about how you managed to do everything, all by yourself, like internet heroes, this is the time to look at things from another perspective and agree, that for some this is way over the top and frankly, it is; for Rangers in particular, going through all that hassle just for 2 pets = nonsense, and a lot of mechanics just showcase poor game design.

Mortifer.2946

Since there is no way of knowing how many overflow maps are present emptiness of the map proves nothing. Your evidence is anecdotal, without real data you don’t have a point. Are you running berserker gear?

No I don’t? As I said, I have no problems with surviving in the jungle… I said all the causals hate it and the maps are almost empty for the last week. And it is not just because of raids. And I also said, exploring jungle = playing in groups and clearing everything you see, or playing alone with as many stunbreakers and swiftness buffs as possible. Fun factor? – zero

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Change your build up and experiment with new builds, join a guild, ask in map chat for help. None of these things make you hardcore and soon you will be back to pressing 1 and winning just like the old days.

Casual doesn’t mean unskilled.

Casual players are immensely hindered by the ridiculously long meta event cycles tied to the real-world clock. Casual players don’t plan their playing hours. They log in, and play.

Some of them are skilled enough to deal with any challenge in the new maps, except the challenge of needing to be online at specific times to participate in the only significant content on offer in the new maps.

Mortifer.2946

Also ALteraphim, should I go to game and take screenshots of empty camps, events, failing metas, empty LFGs that don’t list TD DS and now even VB anymore? Don’t give me this bullcrap of not having any evidence. Go into game and see it for yourself.

Mortifer.2946

Casual players are immensely hindered by the ridiculously long meta event cycles tied to the real-world clock. Casual players don’t plan their playing hours. They log in, and play.

Some of them are skilled enough to deal with any challenge in the new maps, except the challenge of needing to be online at specific times to participate in the only significant content on offer in the new maps.

Exactly this. Finally someone who knows semantics of words.

Klangy.8293

except the challenge of needing to be online at specific times to participate in the only significant content on offer in the new maps.

Dunno why u say this, IF u are casual’ and just loh in to play, just do it? If not VB, do AB or TD or DS? If you wanna do some special event u have to wait for it. The yimr cant wait for you to be ready, otherwise we would have even more maps empty if everyone could start there own. And the events are not that long and u can join them when ever. Yesterday i just browse LFG for 1-2 min and joined a map. Turn on my tag and start do prequests. Asking people to taxi people and then we hade full map, and event was done.

tym.3791

While running around tyria, I see SO many players on the map. There was one or two vets I was having a bit of a time with, took all of 10 seconds to ask for and get tons of help with the thing. LOL, you would of thought it was a champ.

The point of my original post stands, you SHOULD be able to solo anything you want, you SHOULD be able to enjoy the game, look around, discover stuff, and keep a eye open for events if you want to join in a big crowd fight. Just like tyria, I can run around by my self, have a blast, and if in the mood, go join a big crowd for a dragon fight, good times.

HOT really needs the nerf hammer, I paid 50 bucks for the game, and I should be able to enjoy it by myself, and not spend all my time running for my life, and FINALLY finding a hero point only to get stomped by a mob, or a champ spawn.

Alteraphim.4629

I made that post under the assumption that casual players were time restricted not skill restricted (although it was implied and not explained) and that the major drag wa the time needed to adjust to the mobs. I don’t really know why you brought up meta event timing, OP mentions “calming the mobs down”, scaling down HPs, and having more safe areas, which I addressed with the quoted comment. The discussion ends with the last post I saw from him;
“No I don’t? As I said, I have no problems with surviving in the jungle… I said all the causals hate it and the maps are almost empty for the last week. And it is not just because of raids. And I also said, exploring jungle = playing in groups and clearing everything you see, or playing alone with as many stunbreakers and swiftness buffs as possible. Fun factor? – zero”
He isn’t arguing about the difficulty for himself, he is arguing about the difficulty for other people. That’s some SJW nonsense right there

Alteraphim.4629

Also ALteraphim, should I go to game and take screenshots of empty camps, events, failing metas, empty LFGs that don’t list TD DS and now even VB anymore? Don’t give me this bullcrap of not having any evidence. Go into game and see it for yourself.

You could take as many screenshots as you wanted and that wouldn’t prove anything because your sample size is incredibly small. You could poll all of your friends, or even everyone you met ingame over the course of the day and your sample size would still be too small. You have presented no numbers, no hard data, nothing that could stand up to scrutiny and as such have no point to make. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t know what you’re on about. I responded to an exchange you started with this :

You (without any context whatsoever): “Casual players can still enjoy all aspects of the new maps.”

Nothing there about skill, nothing there about anything, just a blanket statement that’s blatantly untrue.

Alteraphim.4629

@Tym Here is a guide to all the soloable HCs, you will only need 50 points from tyria if you follow that guide
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3td33y/a_soloable_hp_guide_for_getting_all_your_specs/

Alteraphim.4629

I don’t know what you’re on about. I responded to an exchange you started with this :

You (without any context whatsoever): “Casual players can still enjoy all aspects of the new maps.”

Nothing there about skill, nothing there about anything, just a blanket statement that’s blatantly untrue.

You quoted a different post. My reply did mix up the OP and another forum goer, so apologies to Tym are in order. But my reply to you addresses the content in your post.

Manasa Devi.7958

I quoted this ongoing conversation:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/As-your-average-casual-player/5780197

You: “Casual players can still enjoy all aspects of the new maps.”

mcwurth.2081: “if we turn into hardcore players”

You: “Change your build up and experiment with new builds, join a guild, ask in map chat for help. None of these things make you hardcore and soon you will be back to pressing 1 and winning just like the old days.”

You made a misinformed statement and followed it by patronizing someone because you apparently don’t have a clue what it means to be a casual player.

Alteraphim.4629

1. I met a snarky quip with a patronizing response.
2. How is my statement misinformed?
3. Casual means time gated, I have never disputed that.

Klangy.8293

Is casual’ nowdays just “login, press 1 and free items”?

Manasa Devi.7958

1. I met a snarky quip with a patronizing response.
2. How is my statement misinformed?
3. Casual means time gated, I have never disputed that.

1. It wasn’t a snarky quip. It was a sad truth.
2. Casual players can in fact not enjoy all aspects of the new maps, obviously.
3. Then how do you figure that people with limited playing time can enjoy all aspects of the map?

Mortifer.2946

Alteraphim, my argument is not a nonsense. I care about other players having fun in HoT, because 1. one of those players is my girlfriend with whom I would love to play new content, 2. many nice people you meet out there would loved to play it too, but it is too darn hard for them. In the end, it means:
1. there are not enough players who can survive in the jungle.
2. even those who survive there sometimes really don’t enjoy the experience
3. there is no reason why people who paid 50€ or bucks for the expansion should not enjoy what they paid for. – AKA difficulty is sometimes too hard (fake difficulty topic in this forum explains it all) and time you need to play in order to finish meta is also too long.

If you don’t understand or believe my points by this time, I am done talking to you.

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Hmm…

Get gud.

/15 chars

CCCP….

Mortifer.2946

Hmm…

Get gud.

/15 chars

Tell it to the 90% of the playerbase. Please, don’t have super-witty suggestions like this one.

Alteraphim.4629

You could play for an hour every other day and enjoy all aspects of the map. You would have participation in a meta, you would see some story, you would earn some experience etc. etc.
Casual players can indeed enjoy all aspects of the new maps, even if they can only log in for 15 mins a day. Do you assume I mean that they can accomplish things in the same timeframe as hardcore players, or that you have to finish a meta to enjoy it?

Manasa Devi.7958

You could play for an hour every other day and enjoy all aspects of the map. You would have participation in a meta, you would see some story, you would earn some experience etc. etc.
Casual players can indeed enjoy all aspects of the new maps, even if they can only log in for 15 mins a day. Do you assume I mean that they can accomplish things in the same timeframe as hardcore players, or that you have to finish a meta to enjoy it?

Tell that to the people who log in for a bit at approximately the same time every evening, because that’s when they have time, and never even get to see the day or night cycle at all.

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

“Tell it to the 90% of the playerbase. Please, don’t have super-witty suggestions like this one.”

90%????

Wow! where are you getting your stats from??

Sheesh if only I’dve known that 90% of the playerbase…….

Oh sorry, reality came in and woke me up:)

CCCP….

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

I am a casual play too but I think that the expansion is fine.

It is more difficult than some other areas but these are level 80 areas. They are on par with some areas in Orr or Drytop. They just have less safe zones.

A lot of the HPs have been turned into vets already too.

Honestly I don’t see where all the negativity is coming from, at least in terms of difficulty.

But to those out there who are claiming it is too hard, take a moment to think. If the expansion is not for you then either adapt or go back to the core world. I know it sounds harsh but A-Net cannot win either way.

Mortifer.2946

“Tell it to the 90% of the playerbase. Please, don’t have super-witty suggestions like this one.”

90%????

Wow! where are you getting your stats from??

Sheesh if only I’dve known that 90% of the playerbase…….

Oh sorry, reality came in and woke me up:)

It’s a simple math…. I used to see a hundred people in VB..let’s 150 as that is the supposed upper limit…now, besides the raiders, you are lucky to find 10 people doing events..let’s say 15. There you have it. ..After the initial days of the expansion, when commanders moved away from this content, causals have no clue how to succeed in these maps as they require too much coordination and people. Night cycle in VB: coordinate at least 30 people to defend camps…. another 10-15 to protect pact soldiers…and that is just the beginning.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get the complaining … ANet told us it was a significant increase in challenge … you read that right? GW2 is still an MMO … bring friends. If you want to solo EVERYTHING, then accept the fact you won’t get EVERYTHING done. The claims that you can’t get anything done because of ‘no one around’ are exaggerated.

The real problem is that vanilla GW2 is a little TOO easy. You can scrub through it with whatever crap build autoattack spam you want.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

The problem is, the entire HoT experience is behind group content. In base GW2, as a casual you had open world for solo stuff. You could do map completion, quests, even some events in Orr, all of which went towards a progression for your character, like getting a legendary weapon. You could accept, as a solo/casual player, that the group content was in fractals/dungeons, but you could still work towards the same goals/items/etc, just in a different manner (eg. open world stuff).

Now comes along HoT. fractals and dungeons no longer are enough for the group oriented folks, they need to now take over open world. As a solo/casual person, what progress is there now? First off, open world is not solo able, more or less. Some aspects, but not all. Even if you get ‘help’ with some open world group content, what progress was made? You cannot even work towards a legendary anymore, as they gated it behind fractals/group quests (talking about pre cursor crafting) which are account bound. Even map completion is completely useless as a casual/solo person now.

Bash me if you want, I no longer care. All I know is, that I log in, and there is nothing for me to work towards. There are some days where I cannot spend 2+ hours on a meta event. I just want to kill stuff and have fun. I just do not understand the design decision to move group content fully into open world. Isnt that what fractals/dungeons were for? Or more importantly, why they took away player options. It use to be, that we had many different options to obtain the same goal: you could farm in open world to get materials for legendary, you could run dungeons/fractals for gear/money/material for same legendary. You could buy the bloody thing off the TP. Now its all gated/account bound, group content protected.

And why does everyone think that harder=group content? My hacking away solo at a well designed mob takes no less skill than being in a group of 5-20+ people, using the same skills/rotation (probably less so, as people can ‘hide’ and get lazy in groups and just use ‘1’ all the time). This game went for the time>skill in HoT..

Thats why all your hard core basement dwellers are coming out bashing the casual folks now.. they are in heaven, as their egos are stroked that the time they put into the game is being rewarded and others are being punished for not putting in the same time. They can walk around with new shinys that casual folks cannot hope to get and brag how great they are…

Klangy.8293

that the time they put into the game is being rewarded and others are being punished for not putting in the same time. They can walk around with new shinys that casual folks cannot hope to get and brag how great they are…

You will get The shinys soon enough. As a casual’ u are not suppost to get it. Lets say u play 1 hour each day as casual’. I play 3-4 hours. I will take u atleast 4x The time to get it. And im planning on have mine until summer. So maybe next year you got yours.

Solid Gold.9310

that the time they put into the game is being rewarded and others are being punished for not putting in the same time. They can walk around with new shinys that casual folks cannot hope to get and brag how great they are…

You will get The shinys soon enough. As a casual’ u are not suppost to get it. Lets say u play 1 hour each day as casual’. I play 3-4 hours. I will take u atleast 4x The time to get it. And im planning on have mine until summer. So maybe next year you got yours.

Wait, I have nearly 3000 hours from the head start, never even got a sniff of these things you call “Shinies”.

What are these strange things you speak off ?

Klangy.8293

I have 900hours and got twilight. Never sold anything on TP that was legendary needed. This summer i had save up money for The precursor (after i sold all i had left in the bank). Now im Starting with The new legendary. And i so look forward to equip it. Maybe not this year or next. But i dont rush either, im casual’.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

Difficulty has no relation to casual player or hardcore player im about as casual as they come and im not having any issues.Just because your a casual player doesnt mean you are bad or good at the game or you cant progress like everyone else just means you dont put as many hours into the game as some of teh crazy maniacs do.

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

why support a content like raid when 90% of million people cannot finish it. To let the LEETs can showoff their 1st kill , 2nd kill on forum to us poor casuls?

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

No fun if you have to spend all your time running for your life, instead of enjoying the game, exploring the map, and checking out the fun stuff.

But the jungle is meant to be a scary place!!

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore