Cost of Ascended Gear

Cost of Ascended Gear

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

I am mainly PVP player, in last 3 years I never brought any of my crafting to 500 but then with new Elite specs I got a special interest to Chronomancer and like to try it in PVE.

So I didn’t like to to drop 20-30 gold to exotics, I said let spend the gold to craft ascended set so I can transfer it between my toons.

After 3 years playing the game and salvaging mostly PVP stuff, with the mats in my bank I was able to craft 2 pieces without buying anything from TP.

Now that I am out of mats, I checked the prices on TP and if my calculations are not wrong it a piece costs around 55 golds.

Was it always this expansive of this is HoT inflation? Now I am not sure I want to drop 300 gold to this project.

(edited by posthumecaver.6473)

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

Everything is exploding in cost right now with guild hall and gear sinks. I’ve probably spent 100g in green wood logs alone for scribing.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Actually, that sounds low. The insgnias alone would cost more than that to buy the patches. The patches themselves are a new thing. Pre-Hot it would have been 3 damask, but they wanted to drive up the cost of leather.

Edit: “pieces” made me think armor, but you didn’t actually say what you were trying to craft

(edited by Misguided.5139)

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Sounds about right with current prices. I’d say make weapons, get trinkets, but go with exotic armor for now. Hope for boxes or do the collections that give you a box to get the armor.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Short answer: yes, ascended gear has always been nightmarishly expensive

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Hah, you should look at the cost of the new jeweled damask patches, which you need three of per insignia. I feel bad for the people that actually craft the sets instead of using the mystic forge.

Cost of Ascended Gear

posthumecaver.6473

Actually, that sounds low. The insgnias alone would cost more than that to buy the patches. The patches themselves are a new thing. Pre-Hot it would have been 3 damask, but they wanted to drive up the cost of leather.

Edit: “pieces” made me think armor, but you didn’t actually say what you were trying to craft

Yeah Armor and you are right I mistakenly said just the cost of the insigna, final armor cost must be even higher.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Ascended Armor has always been expensive (rightfully so since its the highest stats in the game), but right now it is 2 to 3 times more expensive than it was if you buy the mats because everyone is trying to gear up for raids and guild halls are vortexes for gold and mats

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Costs are a lot higher now due to the sudden increase in demand on the relevant materials and some additional new costs (affecting some prefixes more than others). Personally, I’m not in a rush to create ascended gear yet. I’m waiting to see what the Raid patch brings (including a potential re-valuation of recipes). Instead, I’m selling the mats that people want and I’ll buy them back when they drop below their current value.

tl;dr yeah, it’s expensive —that’s why I’m not investing in them (yet)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Ascended Armor was top tier, I’ve created 2 full sets (1 Hv, 1 Lt) through crafting and farming but, now there’s all this talk of Legendary Armor, I’d hate to see the cost of that!!!

Cost of Ascended Gear

UnbentMars.9126

Ascended Armor was top tier, I’ve created 2 full sets (1 Hv, 1 Lt) through crafting and farming but, now there’s all this talk of Legendary Armor, I’d hate to see the cost of that!!!

Ascended gear has the same stats as legendary gear so the only real change between the two is the ability to switch stats at any time.

They are also making the legendary armor have collection stuff, so the actual gold cost will be mitigated by things that won’t require gold, but we will see

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It used to be around 460G for a full light set. I can check my spreadsheet when I get home as I have been casually tracking the costs. I could also tell you what the prices would have been had they not messed with the recipes.

Keep in mind that ascended armor only provides roughly 2% DPS increase without infusions if you go berserker. What you get out of it compared to the cost isn’t worth it. Content also will not be so tightly tuned where the 2% difference will be required.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Klaugh.7415

Klaugh.7415

It’s frustratingly out of reach. The benefits are not in line with the cost.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Get ascended weapons and trinkets, the armor is not very useful and really grindy now…

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

The cost of Legendary armor should be sweat and tears and character blood. But it may well be that Raiding alone will not give it all….

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

Keep in mind that ascended armor only provides roughly 2% DPS increase without infusions if you go berserker. What you get out of it compared to the cost isn’t worth it. Content also will not be so tightly tuned where the 2% difference will be required.

^This. Don’t waste your time with Ascended Armor if you don’t want to grind for it. The priority for Ascended has, and always will be: Trinkets, Weapon, Back, and lastly armor. With only a 2% increase in stats for the armor, your time/money would be better spent getting alternative Ascended trinkets/back and weapons for other builds/characters.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

300g? lol that’s nothing…. My ascended gear cost me about 600g for the armor alone + runes then another 2-300g for weapons +sigils.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Phibes.4128

Phibes.4128

I wish they would allow each profession that can craft ascended material to be able to do so once per day. For example, a Lump of Mithrillium can be crafted by 4 professions at level 450. It would be great if each of those 4 professions were allowed to craft once per day, instead of once per account. That would both encourage and reward those who level their professions while bringing more ascended components to market, where they are desperately needed.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Ascended trinkets (other than backpiece) are easy to get, and ascended weapons provide a pretty decent DPS boost. Don’t bother with armor; the cost is pretty steep and the benefit is roughly negligible.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

That actually sounds like it’s kind of low. When I crafted my full set of Heavy Ascended armor, I probably spent close to 500 gold over time.

It has always been expensive, but I do believe it has increased with the introduction to new materials.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Zerikin.1593

Zerikin.1593

Ascended gear has the same stats as legendary gear so the only real change between the two is the ability to switch stats at any time.

They are also making the legendary armor have collection stuff, so the actual gold cost will be mitigated by things that won’t require gold, but we will see

Right, just like the new precursor crafting did for the existing legendaries… oh wait.

Cost of Ascended Gear

UnbentMars.9126

Right, just like the new precursor crafting did for the existing legendaries… oh wait.

Did what, relieve some of the gold cost in exchange for time needing to be spent on them? Yes, that is what they did

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Cost of Ascended Gear

Black Box.9312

Did what, relieve some of the gold cost in exchange for time needing to be spent on them? Yes, that is what they did

They didn’t relieve nearly enough of the cost to make it worth the extra work over just grinding gold and buying it off the TP, which was the entire reason why people wanted it so badly in the first place.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: jayson.6512

jayson.6512

I’ve been a pvp player for 3 years too but since my guild needs most of the members to help in PVE i level up my armor smith but when i want to level up too 500 i was shock when i saw the prices on TP i don’t know how a pvp player can save that much gold.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Played since headstart, never had any ascended chests drop, constantly losing the battle with RNG on anything and to make things worse, I have WvW’d for 3 years… At least you have reward tracks, better gold gain, and unlock finishers in PvP… WvW players have had to spend gold for 3 years to upgrade buildings and buy gems to get finishers.

I have no ascended weapons or armor for the same reason, to expensive, to time gated.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: IAMANDLOVE.3095

IAMANDLOVE.3095

if u cant grind, then dont play mmo!

Cost of Ascended Gear

posthumecaver.6473

Uhm, as I said for 2 pieces I didn’t have to grind at all, 3 years of PVP was enough for that.

And I get my gold by flipping when I wait for queue pop up, so no worries.

I just want to know these were the regular prices or with the release of the HoT it is extremely bad time to do this.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I remember a thread asking how they could get the phoenix finisher without going into sPvP. It comically missed the point because the entire point of the finisher is to say, “I have achieved this rank in sPvP.”

For ascended crafting if you aren’t willing to put in the work required to make the gear then you don’t deserve it. You must earn your ascended gear. I have sacrificed many great weapon skins and dyes for the sake of completing ascended crafting, and I only have two pieces left. With four bolts of Damask and Elonian squares I’m so close to the finish line for completing cloth gloves and shoulders. Just put in the work and the ascended will come.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Uhm, as I said for 2 pieces I didn’t have to grind at all, 3 years of PVP was enough for that.

And I get my gold by flipping when I wait for queue pop up, so no worries.

I just want to know these were the regular prices or with the release of the HoT it is extremely bad time to do this.

300g is cheap if that’s all its costing yoi

Cost of Ascended Gear

posthumecaver.6473

I remember a thread asking how they could get the phoenix finisher without going into sPvP. It comically missed the point because the entire point of the finisher is to say, “I have achieved this rank in sPvP.”

For ascended crafting if you aren’t willing to put in the work required to make the gear then you don’t deserve it. You must earn your ascended gear. I have sacrificed many great weapon skins and dyes for the sake of completing ascended crafting, and I only have two pieces left. With four bolts of Damask and Elonian squares I’m so close to the finish line for completing cloth gloves and shoulders. Just put in the work and the ascended will come.

Uhm, I just ask the price and I am getting grind lectures.

I just want to know is it a bad time to do this or not?

When I will PVP enough I will get the mats again, I don’t need a mindless grind, it will happen when it will happen.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

When I will PVP enough I will get the mats again, I don’t need a mindless grind, it will happen when it will happen.

I’d wait. The expansion changed the recipe so now there’s at least an additional 100G to craft light armor.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

It’s slower than grinding but yeah if you PvP for them then you’d certainly deserve them. As far as price goes I sold a precursor (the longbow) and still only completed a fraction of one armor set. Lots of Silverwaste grinding for the silk and gold.

For a price you’re looking at 13g per damask and 9g per leather square. You’re looking at 600g per complete set, 7 or 800g for the light. That’s including ecto cost and thread costs too.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Black Box.9312

It’s not like that at all. The phoenix finisher is purely for show, whereas ascended gear is meant to be the most superior gear with objectively better stats than anything else. Luckily the difference (at least in the case of armor) is pretty negligible, but that also ends up being part of its own problem.

I think the complaints aren’t only about just how difficult it can be to get it in a game that praised itself for doing away with the gear grind, but also about the fact that the effort and monetary investment required for ascended armor is pretty exorbitant when considering how small of an actual gain you receive from it over exotic armor. The benefit is simply not worth the cost.

Cost of Ascended Gear

Posted by: Awaltir.5302

Awaltir.5302

If it will be as mitigated as prec craft i would rather buy pre for armor.

Cost of Ascended Gear

UnbentMars.9126

If it will be as mitigated as prec craft i would rather buy pre for armor.

The legendary armor precursors (an entiure ascended set) will be given to you upon compeltion of the precursor collection

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker