DC/Crashes should NEVER take away your reward

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dreader the Seventh.6895

Dreader the Seventh.6895

Won Dragon’s Stand. Cinematic start, game crash, close game, computer freeze, restart computer aaaaaand I lost my 1-hour spent trying to finish Dragon’s Stand to get the Crystalline Ore.

I demand my reward, this is completely unacceptable. And it’s always the stupid Dragon’s Stand map, change it so people can join a completed map, if only to loot the Noxious Pods, you still need machetes for it so it’s basically the same as the Tarir Multiloot that is still done to this day.

Let’s hope you all have a nice day, because mine was just ruined.
/DreaderVII

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

You can get crystalline ore without doing the meta. I went my Mesmer not long ago and I got like 12 by running around the entire map by opening noxious pod. Edit: As for your crashes, I can’t really understand I don’t get them. Do you have the 64 bit client ?

(edited by flog.3485)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

This has been an ongoing problem for years.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Lord Knyghtmare.3984

Lord Knyghtmare.3984

I got this problem almost every time I participated in the DS meta. Joining the DS meta is a challenge itself as most of the maps become full after like the first 5 minutes As for the meta itself, it fails half the time because of novice players (won’t sat noobs since it appears to be offensive) who are unsure of what to do and not being given clear instructions. Anet really should provide a fix.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Waiting for the usual suspects to reply “DS is fine, people complete it all the time.”

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

This has been a known issue since before the Teq revamp many years ago. If it was easy it would have been fixed then. If it was hard it would have been fixed by now as well. Which leaves it being a deep core issue that if fixed would interact in harmful ways to the rest of the structure that has grown up over the years.
Set your settings to minimum, start upping them to see what leads to a crash. I find that just reducing other player resolution and number shown has always been enough to eliminate any crashes I have had.
And yes Dragon Stand is successfully done all the time.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Waiting for the usual suspects to reply “DS is fine, people complete it all the time.”

I’ve certainly completed DS a very very high percentage of the times I’ve attempted DS. That’s not to say crashes don’t happen, and it’s not to say I don’t agree with the OP, because it is frustrating to crash in anything and lose your progress, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s really not that hard to get onto a DS map and beat the event, even if it can be stressful at times.

I don’t ever remember not getting into a map that makes the attempt when I’ve tried, and though we have had a couple of unfortunate fails due to people not knowing what to do, or one lane that couldn’t keep collectors down, in my experience DS is quite doable.

I have no doubt it could be improved, but the way you paint it belies the number of people that do it all the time, and there are plenty of us.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I think the main issues is that the DS map/meta is very graphically intense and there are a lot of people in the same general area. This puts a lot of stress on most computers. People need to pay attention to the crash report/log and figure out where the problem is and stop immediately blaming the game. You can crash 15 times and try again hoping it somehow fixes it self or research the issue, fix it and then not crash.

Most crashes can be attributed to “OOM” (out of memory) errors. Anet realized the game was growing to the point it pushed the limits of a 32-bit system and released the 64-bit launcher, this fixed the error for many people. This opens up the game to utilize unlimited amounts of RAM, if your computer has it. The issues with 32-bit is a Windows problem, you could have 16g of ram but windows only sees less than 4gb.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

The issues with 32-bit is a Windows problem, you could have 16g of ram but windows only sees less than 4gb.

That is only be a problem with a 32-bit version of windows. Here is a wiki article about this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier). And if i understand correctly it is more of a licensing problem.

64-bit versions of windows dont have this problem.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

The issues with 32-bit is a Windows problem, you could have 16g of ram but windows only sees less than 4gb.

That is only be a problem with a 32-bit version of windows. Here is a wiki article about this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier). And if i understand correctly it is more of a licensing problem.

Either a 32-bit client, or a 32-bit version of Windows, will cause problems – for different reasons, but problems none the less.

Unless by “licensing issues” you mean that the OP has no license for a 64-bit version of Windows, there is no useful option that would make a difference here other than “upgrade OS to 64-bit, use 64-bit GW2 client”

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

This is why you should always be in a group or a squad. if you get dc’d during the event and lose your place you can at least wait till the event is over and then join your map once people start to leave if its full and you can’t get back in right away to loot those pods.

~12ores is really bad when you can get like 100 from the meta

Also you probably should’ve opened a ticket, demanding things here isn’t going to help you much.

I usually never have a problem in DS but the World Boss Dragon fights are a lag/dc fest for my 64bit, low settings game. Never had a problem before HoT but now, fo-get-about-et. Can’t do em anymore

~to quote our next president: “So Sad.”~

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This is why you should always be in a group or a squad. if you get dc’d during the event and lose your place you can at least wait till the event is over and then join your map once people start to leave if its full and you can’t get back in right away to loot those pods.

DS instances get locked and cannot be entered as soon as the event ends. It’s not a case of it being full.

And yes, the 32bit memory limitation is not a hardware, but a software one. It’s still very real, and still a major cause of gw2 crashes nowadays.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

This is a very real and very frustrating problem. I experience it most times I am in DS, which is why i almost never play that map any more.

While the root cause may be related to the client, I still think there ought to be other adjustments that ANET could make that would cause the issue to be much less frustrating:
1. reserve a spot on a map so that if someone disconnects they have a short period of time to return to the same map instance. This ought to bypass the map locking mechanic.
2. record & retain map participation client side and enable a return to the same level of participation after a DC.
3. find some way to give event credit/rewards to those who DC just prior to the completion/termination of an event. I admit I don’t have any ideas how this could be done though.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

This has been an ongoing problem for years.

It’s even worse on Mac, it crashes every 5 minutes unless every graphic details are at the bare minimum (even with a beast computer) then it only crash once ever 15 minutes.

SlippyCheeze.5483

And yes, the 32bit memory limitation is not a hardware, but a software one. It’s still very real, and still a major cause of gw2 crashes nowadays.

It’s both. If your OS is 64-bit but the client is 32-bit it’s mostly a software problem. If the OS is 32-bit it’s a combination hardware/software problem, because the 32-bit mode on the CPU actually puts limits – including the need to allocate address space for the PCI bus devices, and the kernel – on how much memory can be used successfully.

Ultimately, 64-bit CPU, OS, and game client are all needed to make issues triggered my memory “address” space go away. Which you should really work toward having be a thing, because it’s now standard enough that newer games will simply ignore the 32-bit option entirely.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s both. If your OS is 64-bit but the client is 32-bit it’s mostly a software problem. If the OS is 32-bit it’s a combination hardware/software problem, because the 32-bit mode on the CPU actually puts limits – including the need to allocate address space for the PCI bus devices, and the kernel – on how much memory can be used successfully.

It’s a purely software problem. And it’s already been solved, long ago. Microsoft just decided to not put that solution in their 32bit home systems.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s a purely software problem. And it’s already been solved, long ago. Microsoft just decided to not put that solution in their 32bit home systems.

I’m sorry, are you referring to PAE? That allows more than 32-bit physical memory space to be used, but the virtual address space for any individual process is still limited to what is available in 32-bits, and some of that is still consumed by the kernel, etc.

Ultimately, 32-bit mode on an Intel CPU does not allow reasonable access to more than 32-bits worth of memory space for a single process. There are some potential work-arounds, including “paging” physical memory in and out of visibility, improvements be segment-swapping when entering kernel mode that “only” cost ~ 5 percent performance, and so forth.

These are really not worth it compared to just having 64-bit hardware, OS, and client software though – and they don’t solve the problem in a way that is invisible to the client application or anything.

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Contact support, they may be able to help you recover what you lost.

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Go in an open DS map, watch an anime/TV – after 20-30 min start collecting the pods (they already spawned) now watch the next series, now go to the final fight

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Their architecture doesn’t support a reserved spot in case of game crashes. The game is extremely well-polished in various aspects, but this is one single flaw I wish they improve upon someday.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer