Dragons Stand Stresses Me Out :-(

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

So a little back story:

When I did the Dragons Stand meta for the first time, I got to the end and then my game crashed. Having thought this was some sort of fluke, and not knowing at the time about the 64 bit client, I tried again the next day. My game crashed again and then after ranting about it in Lions Arch, was informed of the 64 bit client.

So I got the 64 bit client, and I had a successful run of Dragons Stand! :-D However, the next day, I was doing the meta again and then right when we got to the blighting towers, the ENTIRE map, squads and all just got ported to a new instance of the map, resetting not only the meta itself, but all of our progress. I learned later that this is due to an issue with the megaservers prompting the inhabitants of an empty map to relocate, then people taxi in, it becomes full but that timer is still ticking away :-(

Then, after that disheartening event, I decided to not give up but try again. But the next day during the meta run we got a prompt that a new patch was available in 10 minutes, our timer at the time was at 1 hour and 15 minutes, so theoretically, we had plenty of time. However, at the end, we realized that at the Mouth of Mordremoth fight, we had less people than we thought, probably because people unknowingly logged out to get the update thinking they could get back into the map. That run resulted in a very epic fail of the last boss fight.

So there’s my little history of the map, and maybe I’ve just had a run of really bad luck. But I’m at the point where a lot of what I want to grind for involves needing crystalline ore, which in turn means a lot of Dragons Stand grinding.

But just thinking about Dragons Stand nowadays gets me stressed, like, do I want to chance it again? Only to have some bug or patch rear it’s ugly head which will lead to a failure an hour into working on this?

Am I alone in this? Or have other people had similar experiences as me? Hopefully I’ll get a lot of responses that the map isn’t as bad as I’ve experienced which will give me more hope to try it again.

(edited by webtoehobbit.4201)

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Did it 3 times, at the beginning.
Only once the patch update cut it short. I usually avoid intense gaming (such as this two hours run) in the few days after an update.
I also restart the game before, to clear up memory.

If you always are playing at the same time, maybe try some other times, if you can.
My guildies who PvE after our guild raids seem to have more problems with closing instances than people playing during prime time or at more quiet times…

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

We’ve all suffered these instances.

Every time Dragon’s Stand fails, that’s an hour to two hours of your life you’re never getting back, with absolutely no tangible rewards. The only future you have after a failed Dragon’s Stand is to have to do it again, praying that next time it’ll go better.

ArenaNet pays their devs more than 20$ a month. It astounds me that they never thought to include a simple five minute grace period for DCs and crashes.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

if it makes you feel better , here’s my story of my first dragon’s stand experience:

i went in there on my ranger, obviously for the meta-locked pets.

first attempt at the meta failed, due to the zergs falling apart in the nascar phase of the blighting towers.

second attempt: everything went smoothely. so smoothely in fact, that a fluke random phase of the mordremoth fight spawned the crashed helicopter (to retrieve bombs) on the island where mostly everybody entered in on at the beginning of the fight… and mordy’s mouth spawned the next island over. i didn’t even get a hit in on mordy before he was dive bombed to death in less than a minute. it was the most amazing, but most frustrating, boss fight i’d ever been in.

third attempt in a row, i finally got the kill 6 hours after i entered the zone specifically for the meta.

a guildmate led me through the the loot phase to get my pets.

but, yeah, that second attempt, although amazing… didn’t net me a dragon kill, the achievements, or the loot.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You’re pretty unlucky to have it happen that often. I think it’s only happened to me once, but that’s because I don’t do DS that often. I enjoy it, but don’t often have two hours to play straight in a row.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

the 64bit client sorted my crashing problem on this map but the fail rate makes it not worth the time,so until thats addressed iv given up on this map.3 fail maps in a row over the weekend and a total wast of 6 hours.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Wow, that was extremely unlucky lol…

But I agree, Dragon’s Stand’s map is really weird. You need to dedicate like 1.5 hours to it. And if you disconnect, can’t get back in. You need to start all over. It’s a very weird map.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

This is why I haven’t touched DS yet other than story instances. I simply don’t want to waste the one time a week that I can play for a couple hours straight.

Hoping the next expansion does not have timers on everything :|

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Wow, that was extremely unlucky lol…

But I agree, Dragon’s Stand’s map is really weird. You need to dedicate like 1.5 hours to it. And if you disconnect, can’t get back in. You need to start all over. It’s a very weird map.

Pro-tip (and I used it myself after dc’ing just yesterday in Dragon Stand).

Before the start of the meta event, squad up in your zerg (not the usual party of 5, but the actual “squad” option where you can see everyone in the zerg who have done the same, as blue names). That way if you disconnect or whatever and then log back in, you can click the button “rejoin squad” and you’ll get taxied right back into the main map from whatever under populated map you got bunted to on the re-log.

As I said above, worked like a charm for me even though the map had already closed.

Posted by: Cryshal.4036

Cryshal.4036

I got into the Motormouth run the first time I entered Dragon’s Stand. I got to see that huge lizard, pretty awesome. But towards the end, I crashed to desktop. When I logged back in, I was still on that island, but everyone was gone, including MM. It’s not something I would want to do often, too much time involved.