Endorsement of bad drinking habits...10.000!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Hello all,

I know we have achievements for killing thousands of mobs/enemies but at least we do it in an environment of killing or be killed, its a survival thing.

Now, endorsing the consumption of 10.000 alchoolic beverages is something completely different.

A lot of young people sees this achievement like something cool and in their brains a few barriers will fall against bad drinking habits. They cant kill thousands of enemies or monsters in real life (for different reasons) but they sure can drink 10.000 beers.

I think a bit more care should be used when introducing this type of achievements.

Best regards.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Also GTA turns everyone into murdering thieves. C’mon, this topic is full of 90’s style mom outrage. We’ve moved on.

RedBaron.6058

Also GTA turns everyone into murdering thieves. C’mon, this topic is full of 90’s style mom outrage. We’ve moved on.

Never use others wrongdoings to justify yours.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Never use others wrongdoings to justify yours.

Add this philosophy to yourself too. And for serious, your topic is indeedly full of kittens. (No, it was not the filter, I don’t like kittens, and thus I think his topic is full of kittens).

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Now, endorsing the consumption of 10.000 alchoolic beverages is something completely different.

A lot of young people sees this achievement like something cool and in their brains a few barriers will fall against bad drinking habits.

I think the exact opposite will happen.

After consuming (grinding) those 10.000 drinks a lot of players will think “that was not fun.” and because of that there will be a new connection in their brain that connects “drinking a lot” with “not fun”.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Hello all,

I know we have achievements for killing thousands of mobs/enemies but at least we do it in an environment of killing or be killed, its a survival thing.

A lot of young people sees this achievement like something cool and in their brains a few barriers will fall against bad drinking habits. They cant kill thousands of enemies or monsters in real life (for different reasons) but they sure can drink 10.000 beers.

I think a bit more care should be used when introducing this type of achievements.

Best regards.

They can just change it to hot cocoa or other non-alcoholic holiday drinks next time.

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

Op, two things

http://xkcd.com/1601/

and

This game has an ESRB rating of Teen for Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Great Thread.

Attachments:

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I agree.

It should be 20,000 drinks

Posted by: Defiling Treekiller.1632

Defiling Treekiller.1632

are you bloody kidding me? the level of PC correctness with every little thing is depressing , its a game rated mature but more so ITS A GAME. If you don’t approve of the message go to AA or something, live and let live which means stop trying to kill everyone elses fun because of your value judgements. since the days of script RPG Adventure ale consumption has been a part of this genre , hell GW1 had skills that only worked when drunk.
TLDR: take your PC thought police back to gestahpo HQ and let people exercise their own free will about what is acceptable content

Posted by: Falanu.4289

Falanu.4289

Hello all,

Best regards.

I had to read twice in order to spot the hidden joke. Killing is perfectly fine, drinking smoking and god beware wearing skimpy clothing is not? Oh my…

Had you said, “don’t make them grind that long to get that much booze while the kids could read a book, go to school” and so on, I’d actually agree.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

As an alcoholic that has been sober over 15 years now, I find no problem with it. I am sure that there are many other things in a persons life that would make them fall off the wagon (or start on a binge) long before an achievement in an MMO. Also I have no problem with many other things that PR jockeys like to spin for the worse now a days.

Having a problem, and learning to live with it in real life and the consumption of imaginary items in a game are two VERY different things. This is the same kind of garbage that made some people believe that Dungeons and Dragons lead you to devil worship. Both are equally full of kittten!

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

OP, I understand that you are a very conservative individual, and there is nothing wrong with that, but to suggest that ArenaNet is subliminally telling people to consume enough alcohol to kill a person a hundred times over is foolish. By that logic all of us, including you, should have been influenced to go out into the open world (real life I mean) to kill things/people with swords and guns. Do you see how nonsensical this thought process is when you simply change the deed from drinking alcohol to playing the game/living life to gain experience and loot?

The sole reason for the large amount of alcohol requirement is profit. ArenaNet knows that the majority of people do not have the time/will to play constantly to get that many drinks without the help of the credit card. It might also be a slight nod to the GW1 drinking achievement (which also required 10,000 drinks) but that one could be worked on by using ANY alcoholic beverage year round. Ultimately it’s for profit. Look at the price of the items. Can you honestly tell me the majority of players can afford to buy them all without using a credit card? No. Most people don’t have that kind of patience and ArenaNet knows this and are betting on it. They make content with casuals in mind, not so much hardcore players. Always remember that ArenaNet is, first and foremost, a business.

Besides, natural selection is a good thing. The human race would have gone extinct thousands of years ago if not for that.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ten thousand alcoholic drinks in thirty days is pretty clearly not at all connected to real world consumption.

That much water consumption would be lethal. Attempting to portray this as a reflection of, or encouragement toward, real world behavior is just plain silly.

Posted by: Tyr.9637

Tyr.9637

Gr8 b8 m8, I’d r8 8/8

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

There’s 0 evidence that doing stuff in videogames will influence a person’s behavior IRL, as long as they’re not skipping the age restrictions.
Feel free to provide some evidence that supports your case, BTW that means articles published in research journals, not some random dude’s blog.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

RedBaron.6058

Merry Christmas without alchool.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m trying to match the drinking schedule in real life but tbh I’m struggling to keep up and it’s not like I lack experience.

I’m also struggling to match the achievement for brutally murdering 500 centaurs in RL. There just don’t seem to be that many around these parts.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And this is why we teach our children the difference between real life and fantasy.

What a concept…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not just the alcohol that’s a problem. I’m extremely upset about having all the food pushed at us. What about the diabetics, the bing eaters, people trying to lose weight, the anorexics, the vegetarians? They shouldn’t have to be forced to eat sweets and meat to get the boosts. All the food in game should be low calorie, high roughage wholesome fruits and vegetables. Not this crap they’re forcing upon us.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Lanfear, you know people don’t teach kids anymore. They dump um at the nearest daycare so mommy &daddy (or mommy&mommy, or daddy&daddy, or Idon’tidentifywithagender&genderstereotypesaresoooopasse) can continue their own lives. Also TV.

Besides, the real problem is obviously the extreme racial bias against skritt. It teaches kids that immediately resorting to violence and physically abusing people different than you is ok if its in the holiday spirit. (Note: While rewarding you for doing exactly what the skritt are trying to do)

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

What if GW2 and GTA are set in the same universe, and the characters in GTA are just Tyrians who are intoxicated on 10,000 Wintersday drinks.

Its a conspiracy.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

More better to keep the “bad” activity in a virtual world, I say! I don’t drink much RL, being allergic to alcohol beyond a sip or two. Yet in LARPs and tabletops and MMO’s I’ve RP’d drunk characters. It didn’t make me wish I could really get hammered — the hangover before even getting tipsy is a fantastic dissuader.

I grew up watching Bond films and daydreaming spy adventures. I even played Assassin in college, for all of three days until the paranoia made it impossible for me to relax or study. Somehow I never developed a taste for real guns.

Entertainment is a way to vent off any violent or licentious impulses, not a trigger to make people imitate them. Unless they’re already heading for the behavior and just model the specifics on entertainment they’ve seen.

(PopeUrban, I agree with you, but still felt a response was warranted).

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

How are you channeling Jack Thompson when the man isn’t even dead (and I don’t mean his career) yet?

Posted by: Ankas.9023

Ankas.9023

hug a tree make u feel better

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

Yeah right……….. and we always move on after taking the next barrier.
When was the last time you took a look whats going on on this planet ???

In the 80’s kids could play outside until nighttime.
These days they can’t go out alone at all.

Do you think there is any connection to our times and always taking the next barrier ???

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

another desperate attempt to nix drunkard 2.0

Just a flesh wound.3589

Do you think there is any connection to our times and always taking the next barrier ???

No.

One of the things people do is a whitewashing and glamorization of times past. But they had crime and murders. They had public executions by the state out in the open where all, including small children, could come and watch. They had lynchings where no one was punished and it wasn’t against the law to beat or sexually assault your wife.

There were reasons that children were allowed more freedom. One big one is that people had so many. A family might have 4, 5, 6, 7 or more children. 15 or 20 children to a family wasn’t unheard of or uncommon. With that many, it wasn’t unusual to lose a few before adulthood to disease or accidents. Most people now only have a couple of kids and you only have a couple of kids, you keep them closer than if you have 20 kids racing through your house. Another reason was lack of information. Nowadays a school shooting is known around the world. Then, it might not be known outside the place it happened. People hear more bad things from all around the world, and it frightens them whereas in the past they would never have heard of it.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lanfear, you know people don’t teach kids anymore. They dump um at the nearest daycare so mommy &daddy (or mommy&mommy, or daddy&daddy, or Idon’tidentifywithagender&genderstereotypesaresoooopasse) can continue their own lives. Also TV.

Besides, the real problem is obviously the extreme racial bias against skritt. It teaches kids that immediately resorting to violence and physically abusing people different than you is ok if its in the holiday spirit. (Note: While rewarding you for doing exactly what the skritt are trying to do)

This made me laugh til I cried. Ty Snow.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

No.

One of the things people do is a whitewashing and glamorization of times past. But they had crime and murders. They had public executions by the state out in the open where all, including small children, could come and watch. They had lynchings where no one was punished and it wasn’t against the law to beat or sexually assault your wife.

There were reasons that children were allowed more freedom. One big one is that people had so many. A family might have 4, 5, 6, 7 or more children. 15 or 20 children to a family wasn’t unheard of or uncommon. With that many, it wasn’t unusual to lose a few before adulthood to disease or accidents. Most people now only have a couple of kids and you only have a couple of kids, you keep them closer than if you have 20 kids racing through your house. Another reason was lack of information. Nowadays a school shooting is known around the world. Then, it might not be known outside the place it happened. People hear more bad things from all around the world, and it frightens them whereas in the past they would never have heard of it.

I am not sure is should even answer.

Actually i don’t know where you grew up.
But i have never seen a public execution or sex assaulting wifes or people having 7 childs or anything you mentioned.
Beside that this is not the topic. The problem is that if we continue to lower standards, which actually exist to keep people descend, we will face a horrible world.

Fact is that the kids in the 80’s had more freedom to explore and more safety in general.
Since the 90’s when people had the brilliant idea to remove anything that provided any stability or discipline the violence level in our society exploded.
In fact the 80’s were the only time when the USA remotely reached the quality level of the Scandinavian countries these days.
Right now the United States are at #15 even behind Costa Rica.
Strangely the leading countries have very strong standards when it comes to handling kids and safety or providing environment for children.

Like i said…. these days kids are not even allowed outside alone or woman are told not to be out after dark.

It is up to you to rage about that.
But if we fail to reintroduce rules, standards or discipline we will face a horrible
reality every day around us.
A good start would be to keep kids away from alcohol, drugs and tobacco
plus rethinking what is actually entertainment.

Just my 2 cents

RedBaron.6058

No.

But i have never seen a public execution or sex assaulting wifes or people having 7 childs or anything you mentioned.
Beside that this is not the topic. The problem is that if we continue to lower standards, which actually exist to keep people descend, we will face a horrible world.

Fact is that the kids in the 80’s had more freedom to explore and more safety in general.
Since the 90’s when people had the brilliant idea to remove anything that provided any stability or discipline the violence level in our society exploded.
In fact the 80’s were the only time when the USA remotely reached the quality level of the Scandinavian countries these days.
Strangely the leading countries have very strong standards when it comes to handling kids and safety or providing environment for children.

Like i said…. these days kids are not even allowed outside alone or woman are told not to be out after dark.

But if we fail to reintroduce rules, standards or discipline we will face a horrible

Just my 2 cents

+1.

The main problem is that a lot of people do not think about problems anymore…its easier to keep moving like numb ghosts towards the precipice…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Flesh, I think you read that as the 1800’s, not the 1980’s

While I agree things aren’t as much worse as people think (and in fact feel that US culture has gotten far too risk averse to be able to innovate and explore any longer, and that it swaddles and cossets youth to the point the youth tend not to have any independence, patience, or willingness to work), I do believe that there are more risks out there. I was a kid in the 70’s and it was normal for 8 to 10 year olds to go out trick or treating without adults along. In a suburban environment, even (I was in San Diego, then the DC area). It was expected we kids would go outside and play and leave the parents alone to have some peace in their day. Nowadays parents can go to jail for letting their kids do that ><

Yet silly pixel drinking simply isn’t going to convince anyone with half a brain cell that it’s ok to overdo it for real. In fact I feel it’s a useful diversion of interest. Watching Bond movies doesn’t make me want to go out having high speed car chases and firing off PPK’s (and didn’t when I was a teenager either). It gives a cathartic vent to any such impulses, diverting them into enjoying an action story instead of looking for the real thing.

If you try to hide all the bad things in the world from children, they won’t know there are bad things and will have no mental defenses against them when, inevitably, something bad happens.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No.

Just my 2 cents

And yet crime rates, “these days,” are dramatically lower in the US than they were in the 80’s.

So lower standards (by your definition) correlates with increased safety.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I wouldn’t call it an endorsement at all. If anything, the achievement is biting criticism of alcoholism. The time it takes away, the money it costs, the relationships lost… quite clever, really.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

Tumblr is leaking again.

Posted by: Dahmerkitten.1385

Dahmerkitten.1385

This isn’t the first thread i’ve seen about this.

Man, it’s just a video game. Relax.

Everyone wants to act like PC principal these days. Force these wacked out perspectives on people over small things. It’s just a game. Fantasy. If you can’t distinguish what’s Real Life, and what’s a game- You shouldn’t be playing.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Op, two things

and

This game has an ESRB rating of Teen for Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence.

+1

as a desk once said in Tron – ‘end of line’

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

….even behind Costa Rica….

Why are they less deserving or cause of uproar?

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Op, two things

and

+1

as a desk once said in Tron – ‘end of line’

+1 both, No need to discuss no more.

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Just a flesh wound.3589

No.

Just my 2 cents

Then you need to go back just a few more years, about the time I was born (in 1957) in the southern U.S.

A black man didn’t dare to look a white woman in the eye where I lived. Lynchings of black people were still going on and were rarely punished. If a woman was sexually assaulted she rarely told the police because it was considered her fault and she would be branded for life as a loose woman (a big deal back then. It meant the woman had to leave town or be treated differently). Women were beaten by their husbands and the police didn’t press charges unless the husband killed her. Yet children ran around unsupervised after dark and country people didn’t lock their doors. My mom was a member of a 7 child family (normal sized for then) and I was a member of a 4 child family (normal sized for then as the birth ratios and child per family sizes were starting to drop by that time)

So, taking it to the next step has nothing to do with whether or not children are allowed to run around unsupervised. I did, back when I was a child but back when I was a child the schools were still segregated and when they finally did mix the races, there were policemen with guns in the school hallways (I know, because I saw them).

As an example of what it was like, back within living memory, Emmet Till was lynched in 1955 at the age 14 for the “sin” of whistling at a white woman. His murderers were found not guilty.

And children of that town ran around unsupervised after dark.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

GW2 is a far worse endorsement of bad DRESSING habits…

Posted by: Moderator

[Thank you for the feedback and discussion, this thread is now locked.]