"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

If my Ranger hunts Dragons for loot, am I not allowed to call her a Dragonhunter because its copyrighted by Guardians now or something?

Also, honestly anything sounds better than Dragon Hunter, even if the elite spec. was simply called “Judge”

Posted by: Thund.2795

Thund.2795

I know there are already many posts on the subject, but I think people underestimate an important aspect of the new elite specialization.

The over-all theme of this new specialization is a dragon theme. I agree with most of you that the name is bad enough, but if you have to think a new name you have to take into account this trait. Instead of being the “hunter of dragons”, it would be more suitable that specialization is based on the knowledge of these and that their techniques are inspired and based on them precisely to face any creature.

There are many possible options: Dragoon, Dragon Knight, Dragonbane, Dragoonier, I don’t know, but when I read names like “Crusader” (for instance) I think that not everyone understands what it is based on.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think the name’s on the right track with the “Hunter” part. A bow and traps? Yeah, that sounds like a hunter of sorts. But it’s not for beasts or people, it’s for more serious threats. Fiends.

IF they were to change it, I’d like to see something like “Fiend Hunter”

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

Anything but D. Hunter, Seraph or Sentinel are my personal favs. so far tho.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Petless Heavy Armor Ranged Ranger.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

The guardian’s new elite specialization dragonhunter was announced today, and it’s pretty clear that many people are not too keen on the choice of name. Some of the principle reasons are that it seems very disconnected from the guardian’s “holy knight” core theme and that lorewise, dragonhunter generically describes basically all playable characters and most of the NPCs involved in the primary storylines.

I came up with the idea of the Arbiter and that seemed to get a very positive response.

arbiter (noun) — a person empowered to decide matters at issue; judge; umpire. OR a person who has the sole or absolute power of judging or determining. (Dictionary.com)

The meaning of this name naturally complements the guardian’s divine justice and judgment motif, given Virtue of Justice (now Spear of Justice) and all of the skills with the word “judgment”. Even the flavor quote in the video: “I must be as relentless as justice itself.” lends itself better to “arbiter”. Plus, “arbiter” has that more aggressive, active tone than the defensive “guardian”, which “dragonhunter” seemed to be going for. It is consistent with the idea that the specialization will be choosing which enemies will be receiving massive ferocious attacks at range or which allies will get support.

It’s a name used in Halo and the Cones of Dunshire, but it’s still uncommon enough to feel unique.

I’d like to give a shoutout to a friend that I played with back at launch who used the account name “The Arbiter”. Seeing that in my friends list over the years has kept the word in the back of my mind. He doesn’t play anymore, but maybe having a specialization named after his account name would get him back into the game.

Also, thanks to everyone on /r/guildwars2 for the positive feedback. And shoutout to all of the folks who spent a lot of time today putting their creative efforts into coming up with other names. Some of the other ones I liked include: Templar, Crusader, Seeker.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

(edited by Veron.8645)

Posted by: DestinyEdge.2046

DestinyEdge.2046

Change the name please. A profession name should give people an idea of how it works. Ranger use bow, Chorno use time, Thief use dagger etc.
Dragon Hunter tells you nothing. . . It does not give you the impression that it is a backline support at all.

DestinyEdge.2046

Sentinel or Arbiter are both good.

DestinyEdge.2046

I do not think it should be dragon themed.

DestinyEdge.2046

I agree with this. It gives the sense that it controls the battlefield from the back.

DestinyEdge.2046

The name should tell you how it will work, Dragon Hunter does not tell HOW.

DestinyEdge.2046

But how is Hunter related to Guardian? I do not see any connection. For Ranger sure, but Guardian?

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

If the community has to get behind a single new name, I am willing to throw my support in for the arbiter.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

DestinyEdge.2046

Why is a guardian called a hunter. . .

DestinyEdge.2046

I rather be the Helper. Is not that the point of being a Guardian?

DestinyEdge.2046

I do not think the theme should be dragon at all. Guardian has no connection with dragon. The name should reflect what the specialization is, which is back line support with light.

DestinyEdge.2046

I do not think Paragon fits too. But anything is better than Dragonhunter

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

We’ll have a better idea of how the spec is supposed to play after the Ready Up.

• If the traps and traits are very punishing, then Castigator is a possibility.
  • If the traps and traits are very supportive, then Absolver is a possibility.
  • If traps and traits are very controlling, then Transfixer is a possibility.
  • If the traps and traits are really various in their effects, then something more generic like Arbiter or Warden could be appropriate (and they both appear very popular). Vigilant would also be ok.
  • The main theme of the virtues and traps as described is the manifestation of imbued light. That could be the key to a name that truly ties all of the elements together. I don’t even know if Imbuer is a word, and if it is it may confound people.

(edited by misterdevious.6482)

DestinyEdge.2046

Then what about Zojja revenge for Snaff? Actually, what about all the Bow users that hunted/killed Zhatan?

Genesis.8572

I wonder how many people will be bombarding ANet during the Twitch stream with requests to change the name?

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

I would far prefer Arbiter to Dragonhunter. It seems much more thematically appropriate and falls in line with the other profession names, that describe what characters’ skills do rather than what they are per se.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

DestinyEdge.2046

Anything but D.Hunter too.

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Yes I know this is yet another thread about the bad name for the guardian specialization… We all know the name is horrible but the only way a-net will change it is if we keep pressing it. +1 and create your own threads to get the pint through.

#Paragonorriot2k15

Posted by: xinkspillx.3914

xinkspillx.3914

This isn’t a direct reply to anyone in particular, but I’ve noticed a few instances in this thread where posters have claimed that a longbow paragon wouldn’t be accurate, but this isn’t entirely true.
I should state first that I don’t think the Dragonhunter should be renamed Paragon, that would make no sense. I just think ANet could have given us a Paragon and dropped the ball by not doing it and below are some of my reasons for why I think it would have made sense.
Logan Thackeray, the most prominent Guardian NPC in the game is the descendent of Kieran Thackeray, an NPC that can eventually join your party as a hero in Guild Wars 1. Kieran Thackeray actually could have established a unique precedent as he was a Ranger that eventually became a Paragon, thus actually becoming a character recorded in the lore as possessing both.
While yes, any player character could achieve this through the secondary profession system of the original Guild Wars, Kieran Thackeray was unique in this regard among NPCs.
As Paragons were an important part of the development of the Guardian, I think it would have been well within reason to have seen Logan rediscover some of this knowledge in some respect.
Besides this, unlike what we have seen with the Dragonhunter so far, Paragons in Guild Wars 1 actually had wings when using Chants. Unless I’ve suddenly become senile I feel that Chants more or less equal Mantras which, had they been given to Guardians, would have been in perfect harmony with ANet’s attempts to bring established skill types to other classes to increase synergy. Not to mention it would have made sense to have the wings appear when Mantras are charged and disappear upon CD.
Oh and what is up with the new virtues? SPEAR of Justice, WINGS of Resolve and SHIELD of Courage . . . seriously those three things are what defined the entire Paragon aesthetic . . . ANet making use of them in this way with the Dragonhunter just feels like salt in our wounds.

TL;DR: An important NPC Paragon DID use a longbow in GW1.

P.S. Oh, and Paragon’s association with Elona need not be as significant a factor in regards to an Elite spec, as I thought it was generally accepted that Guardians were a direct result of the spread of the Paragon discipline? Isn’t this something a Dev actually stated?

(edited by xinkspillx.3914)

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Sounds much better inded

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Paragon makes no sense. The guardian elite spec doesn’t have chants, echos or use spears. Paragons are also from Elona.

Irrelevant. All professions in GW1 could use all weapons.

(edited by Mada.5319)

Posted by: xinkspillx.3914

xinkspillx.3914

Paragon makes no sense. The guardian elite spec doesn’t have chants, echos or use spears. Paragons are also from Elona.

Irrelevant. All professions in GW1 could use all weapons.

You should actually read my entire post. I addressed all of that. Yes, player characters could make use of secondary professions and NPCs could as well, but in the lore typically what counted was only any NPCs primary profession and Thackeray straight up changed his, something I think nearly no one else could do.

I’m also not suggesting a name change to Paragon as I agree it would make no sense now. My point was just that ANet COULD have made the Elite spec Paragon in a way that made sense.

(edited by xinkspillx.3914)

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Bane

Not Dragonbane, or anything so complicated. Just Bane. Guardians guard. Banes threaten. If you lay a finger on a Bane’s allies, they will destroy that finger, and resolve to hunt you down with courage and inflict their due justice.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Sorry but no, horrible name…

The translation into Spanish would be “referee”; and the referees are responsible for controlling football games or other sports …

Arbiter = Referee….just…no.

Posted by: EoNenmacil.2361

EoNenmacil.2361

I too would like to support the name change to this.

I mean really? Every one is a Dragon Hunter in GW2……..

2nd Officer of Ethereal Guardians ~Syinne Rio~

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

All you guys names are worse than Dragonhunter except for Zealot-

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Your statement is completely false

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

Your statement is completely false

ranger with no pet is da bes

[SA]

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Meh. Arbiter sounds boring, and surely not tied to dealing with the Dragons Minions (which is basically what the Guardian must do in the Jungle). I for one like the draconic theme behind this specialization, especially because it is not “in the face” but a lot more subtle than that apparently.

Arbiter may sound correct in English, but in other languages, it sucks.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I just think Halo when I hear the name. But that’s just me.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would vote, but not at the cost of making an account. =(

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This is the thread for us crazy people who don’t think “Dragonhunter” is such a bad name. In fact, I personally like the name. I hear people call it “childish” as if a 12-year-old thought of it. And in the same breath those people suggest things like…

Guardian Angel
Archangel

Angels are associated with the christian and muslim god, and are supposed to be divine, immortal, and incredibly powerful beyond mortal means… Not exactly GW2 flavor.

Zealot

What is this, Starcraft? MY LIFE FOR HIRE
….no….

Janissary

What is this, Age of Empires?

Sentinel
Celestial

Naming things after gear now? Why…

Centurion

Cylons? Frakk that.

Vanguard
Justiciar

What is this, Mass effect2?

Legionnaire

There are already legionnaires in GW2, and they are exclusively related to the Charr military structure.

Monk

There was already once a class with this name in GW1, and it was almost purely supportive and designed for healing. Anet clearly wanted to give the guardian an aggressive ranged option for combat. Monks were never about range or pure DPS.

Savior
Sanctifier
Saint

Too religious… Christian in particular… Sorry but not all of us are Christian, and Anet has always been careful not to put any specific references to real world ideologies.

Diviner

Do you even know what divining is? What does that have to do with combat, particularly aggressive offense with a bow and mobility?

I just want to say that my personal take on the Dragonhunter name is that Anet took the established theme of the guardian as the “master of defense” and applied the adage “the best defense is a good offense.” In kungkittenis it said that the hand which strikes also blocks. Mordremoth presents a clear and present danger to the world, and Tyrians must adapt to the threat to survive. The Dragonhunter is a specialization which was born specifically to tackle the dragon threat. That’s the lore side of it anyway.

On to the practical side of the name. Anet clearly wanted to make a ranged attack spec for the guardian, should they want it. Something a little less defensive, and with the ability to tag mobs at range like everyone else. Guardian core spec has plenty of melee already. When coming up with a name for anything, that name must convey a sense of what that thing is supposed to be and do. You don’t name Game of Thrones “Fluffy Bunny Fuffles.” There is a purpose to a name beyond sounding cool on its own. It needs to convey the context of the item it describes.

Genesis.8572

Arbiter sounds boring, and surely not tied to dealing with the Dragons Minions (which is basically what the Guardian must do in the Jungle). I for one like the draconic theme behind this specialization, especially because it is not “in the face” but a lot more subtle than that apparently.

It’s not just the guardians will be killing dragon minions. Everyone will have to go into the jungle to kill dragon minions. So how much more “in the face” can you get than ‘Dragonhunter’? Dragonkiller? Dragonslayer? Shoot-Dragon-Until-It’s-Dead? The name is about as subtle as the meteor in the K/T Extinction.

Arbiter may sound correct in English, but in other languages, it sucks.

I just don’t want to be stuck with Dragonhunter. I’m open to other alternatives.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Dragonbane, Dragonaire (I like the second, sound a kittenarr-ish, if you ask me) or even Draconnier if they really fail to find a a proper name. But I want something still relating to the Dragons (they managed to achieve a cool name in French with only one word, surely they can too in the language of D&D – I mean, there isn’t even one thread not happy with the French name while us French are never happy about anything usually, so surely they can manage it in English too !).

And when I said that it wasn’t in the face with the theme, it was with the skills seen so far (no draconic wings, for instance), since this specialization hunt and kill huge game, and do not mimic the Dragons. And are we not all warriors in this game ? Even me with my Engineer, going to wage wars on the battlefields of the Mist, Orr and Maguuma ?

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Mhm I must agree that names which are basically synonyms for Guardian, while having a slightly different flavor to them, aren’t ideal for a specialization that is supposed to sound distinct. Clearly the idea ANet is going with is a more of a holy warrior that seeks to purge evil, rather than protect people from evil. The demonhunter dragonhunter comparison is fair, but the name dragonhunter still sucks. xD

Here’s another name, what about Vanquisher.

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

This is the thread for us crazy people who don’t think “Dragonhunter” is such a bad name. In fact, I personally like the name. I hear people call it “childish” as if a 12-year-old thought of it. And in the same breath those people suggest things like…

Guardian Angel
Archangel

Angels are associated with the christian and muslim god, and are supposed to be divine, immortal, and incredibly powerful beyond mortal means… Not exactly GW2 flavor.

Zealot

What is this, Starcraft? MY LIFE FOR HIRE
….no….

Janissary

What is this, Age of Empires?

Sentinel
Celestial

Naming things after gear now? Why…

Centurion

Cylons? Frakk that.

Vanguard
Justiciar

What is this, Mass effect2?

Legionnaire

There are already legionnaires in GW2, and they are exclusively related to the Charr military structure.

Monk

There was already once a class with this name in GW1, and it was almost purely supportive and designed for healing. Anet clearly wanted to give the guardian an aggressive ranged option for combat. Monks were never about range or pure DPS.

Savior
Sanctifier
Saint

Too religious… Christian in particular… Sorry but not all of us are Christian, and Anet has always been careful not to put any specific references to real world ideologies.

Diviner

Do you even know what divining is? What does that have to do with combat, particularly aggressive offense with a bow and mobility?

I just want to say that my personal take on the Dragonhunter name is that Anet took the established theme of the guardian as the “master of defense” and applied the adage “the best defense is a good offense.” In kungkittenis it said that the hand which strikes also blocks. Mordremoth presents a clear and present danger to the world, and Tyrians must adapt to the threat to survive. The Dragonhunter is a specialization which was born specifically to tackle the dragon threat. That’s the lore side of it anyway.

On to the practical side of the name. Anet clearly wanted to make a ranged attack spec for the guardian, should they want it. Something a little less defensive, and with the ability to tag mobs at range like everyone else. Guardian core spec has plenty of melee already. When coming up with a name for anything, that name must convey a sense of what that thing is supposed to be and do. You don’t name Game of Thrones “Fluffy Bunny Fuffles.” There is a purpose to a name beyond sounding cool on its own. It needs to convey the context of the item it describes.

Guradian Profession:

“It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of “you can’t hurt me”. They’re called guardians, and simply put, they mean trouble" .

vs

Dragon Hunter:

“It’s a specialization full of traps (including the healing abilities) and support abilities; check out the full reveal for more details on just how you can bring down the big dragons with your new tricks” .

Ritualists: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ritualist

Monk: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monk

What is Ritualist Profession and Monk Profession relationship with traps and bringing down big dragons?

I do not see description in Ritualist Profession or in Monk Profession about traps and bringing down big dragons?

But… is not Guardian Profession a monk, Ritualist, dragon hunter and using traps? so again, why is it not include in Ritualist profession and monk profession?

Please show me? Please show me similarity? Last: show me where Dragon Hunter= Guardian Profession with evidence?

The reason why some players laugh at this is because a Guardian Profession have no relationship with nature because Ranger Profession already fit that role.

Dragon Hunter make perfect sense for ranger profession: traps?

Let me ask you a question: how can a guardian profession be “supportive and protecting their team” while setting traps and shooting arrows?

Setting traps and shooting arrows need 100% focus and 100% mobility. It make perfect sense for thief profession and ranger profession because that is one of their important roles for the team.

So how can a Guardian Profession focus their attention in set traps and 100% in mobility: how can they still protect their team 100% in the same time?

Do you understand now why they find this a joke? Unless a Guardian Profession have eyes in their back head to focus 100% in the same time to protect the team/part?

I hope you understand

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Dragonborn! “What is this..Skyrim??” DON’T CARE!!! LOL XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

(edited by metaldude.4132)

Posted by: Sebbl.2806

Sebbl.2806

I just misread your suggestion as “Arbeiter”, which means “worker” in German… and almost spit out my breakfast.

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

The name is soooo generic that they could100% leave all voice recordings calling us Dragonhunters and no one would notice.
At all.
Hell, they could save money and just use the term Dragonhunter to refer to all classes in dialogue.

I vote for a name change!

Bingo.2174

Anything reasonable other than Dragonhunter.

The name is soooo generic that if voice-recordings are an issue, the could100% leave all voice recordings calling us Dragonhunters post-name change and and no one would notice.

Posted by: Noein.1685

Noein.1685

Ah man that would be so awesome. Arbiter is infinitely better.

That which has no life.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Dragonborn! “What is this..Skyrim??” DON’T CARE!!! LOL XD

Anet please, add this to the dragonhunter’s utility skill.

FUS RO DAH

shouts

Your Voice is raw power, pushing aside anything – or anyone – who stands in your path.

Bingo.2174

Via the TOR wiki:

“Because of widespread community dissatisfaction on the decision to name the telekinetic focused Consular advanced class the Jedi Wizard, Bioware released a poll on the 5th November 2010 with a choice of 4 (including the incumbent):

Jedi Sage – 55.46%
Jedi Adept – 23.85%
Jedi Seer – 16.91%
Jedi Wizard – 3.78%"

If EA can do it, Anet can do it!

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

At least it’s not another instance of abusing “mancer”. Does anyone involved in fantasy even know what the word means..

It come from the greek manteía which mean divination. A mancer is a practitioner of a specific type of divination.

Exactly. So what do the Pyromancer, Hydromancer, Aeromancer, Geomancer, Necromancer and Chronomancer in GW2 have anything to do with prediciting the future?

It’s just a cheesy word that sounds cool and keeps being misused in fantasy settings.

Divination – the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.
notice the second part of the definition to DISCOVER HIDDEN KNOWLEGE by occult or SUPERNATURAL means, idiot, it doesnt just mean to predict the future, which btw is very suitable for chronomancy which is specifically about TIME and SPACE, what do magic wielders strive for? to gain as much knowledge about their magic as possible, throgh various ways, it’s perfect for fantasy game, it’s perfect to use to describe different kinds of people that pursuit knowledge for what the wielder would consider ‘’divine power’’
next time look up the word so you wouldnt sound like such an idiot lmfao

You are offensive for no reason.

“-Manteia”/“-mancy” has nothing to do with hidden knowledge, it means “prediction”.

The root is ancient Greek, it doesn’t directly translate to what your dictionary of choice has as the definition of “divination” which is a different, albeit similar, word.

Keep in mind all those practices existed in real life, people studied the ripples of bodies of water to predict the future and called it hydromancy. It’s now used only because it sounds cool, not because it accurately describes what a water Elementalist does in-game.

I wouldn’t call this a misuse of -mancy, it’s just the suffix’s meaning changing, like all words do. I suspect it traces back to necromancy. Necromancy meant summoning the dead so their spirits could tell you about the future, but modern fantasy has latched on to the “summoning the dead” part and largely ignored the “learning about the future” part. This made necromancy a word meaning “magic relating to death” and thus in modern fantasy -mancy’s meaning became “magic relating to [the word it’s attached to]”.

Essentially, the -mancy suffix’s definition in modern usage has broadened from divination to any supernatural manipulation. It’s nothing to fret over, and is frankly a more minor shift in meaning than some words like “awful” have gone through.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

So, the class who uses “holy” attacks, brings down “holy” fire on it`s enemy. Envokes the power of gods (theoreticaly) is to religious?

The “dragonhunter” envokes no images of a “dragonhunter”. What justifies the name?
He has “Angelwings”, he uses “Light arrows”. He uses the “holy” element (which is actually a thing in GW, as monks in GW1 used “smite” techs to bring down demons and undead.

Ironicly magic specific to enemy does not exist, but there are potions you can swallow and sigils you can equip to do more damage against certain enemy types.

We don`t have any lore for the dragonhunter, aside from his name. Hue Hue I am a dragonhunter now.

Aside from his equipment, this class has nothing to do with “dragonhunting”.

If any, he is a fighter, specialized on big prey.

The comments about: “Hey this name has been used in other games and media” is, and I have to call you out here, completly stupid.

How many other names or descriptions did you see in other media? How many games have Warriors, Elementalists, Necromancer or heck, even Mesmer.
How many media use the name of centurion (btw. it`s roman and subsequently also Charr, so don`t come with Cylons).

What`s wrong with celestial? Sure it`s a name allready used for gear, however it`s not like they changed description on stuff before. If we have revenants, why can`t the other direction be there as well?

The problem with the name is just that it is too narrowminded. You complain about certain names being too religious and then say a class who is supposedly only usefull against dragon (if we go by name) is better? Seriously?