Glider Suggestions? Share Them Here!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Spider-web parachute or vine/rope-swing animation, a la Spider-Man or Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. (I still want brachiating! it’s too awesome a word to not use)

Crackling Lightning “wings”, similar to the Stormrider Rig or Mardu Runemark from Magic: the Gathering.

A long cape, similar to Superman or Super Mario… perhaps with a Guild emblem

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

i want to look like this when you bring gliding to wvw!

Attachments:

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

We’ve seen a lot of great suggestions come in lately about gliders. Whether you have ideas on a new design or a different skin suggestion, or even functionality feedback, we’d like to read your ideas.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about gliders in this thread, and I’ll include it in my next report to the devs.

(I should note that I’ve twice tried to merge some great suggestion threads into a core thread, but the process has failed. So please forgive me if your thread was lost, and do post again so we can share the ideas with the team.)

Thanks a bunch!

I’m sure at least some if not all of these were mentioned but here goes…

Turn old backpack skins into gliders

Some of the old backpacks would make good gliders, such as:

• Tempered Spinal Blades and the three colored variants. They could either unlock as four separate gliders, or you can have only the first ascended unlock a single glider and turn the glow and the paint on metal into dye channels
  • Holographic Dragon Wings, Holographic Shatterer Wings, and Wings of the Sunless – they were the original wings, and having glider variants of them would be awesome and while still wings would be a nice change from the now too repetitive feathered wings.
  • Butterfly Wings and Glittering Wings – like the dragon wings, while still wings (thus making sense for glider theme), would be a nice change from the feathered wings.
  • Light of Dwayna – maybe not tied to the backpiece, but I think having our dear angelic goddess having a themed glider that is a mixture of feathered wings and a glow of light (think angelic wings + soul glider minus the drifting miniature human souls) would be cool.

Other ideas

• Guild Glider – a basic-looking glider which has the guild emblems on it.
  • Cultural gliders – added to the cultural armor vendors, 3 gliders unlockable from in-game for gold per race, each theming to the related armors. (On an aside: I’d also love cultural aquabreathers and backpieces)
  • Dungeon gliders – added to the dungeon vendor, a glider per dungeon sold for tokens, to bring a desire back into doing the dungeons. (On an aside: I’d also love aquabreathers and backpieces skins – no skinless green and rare backpieces boringness – themed to the eight dungeons), and Arah’s could be a patchwork of dried skin being turned into a glider
  • Crafting gliders – like the crafting backpieces, gliders added to each crafting progression that is themed to the craft (probably just 1 per craft, not one per crafting tier per craft). For example, the CoF glider could be a glider made of fire, while HotW could be using the kodan-designs metal and ice (not realistic but hey neither are animal wings on plant people)
  • Dragon Wing gliders – akin to the holographic/wing of the sunless bring back suggestion, why not one themed for a solid Shatterer, Claw of Jormag, and Shadow of the Dragon wings?
  • WvW Legendary Backpiece + Glider – the PvP legendary backpiece and the fractal legendary backpiece both seem like they’ll unlock gliders when they become available, given their design. I think that WvW deserves similar treatment.
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I’ve got a suggestion, stop putting up one week limited items like these Golden Wings; I would have bought these things out right provided they fell into a week that I get paid; you see the vast amount of employers in the USA are cheap and they look to save money by paying their employees biweekly. Your marketing team needs to take biweekly paychecks into consideration because these 7 day limited items are not just costing you money from people like me they also build a sense of resentment towards your company because now I feel cheated.

Since the item I’m talking about is a Glider technically I am on topic.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Wanted to add more onto the invisible glider, let us be able to see our backpacks too. That way it solve many requests, like people seeing their Molten Firestorm backpiece as gliding. If they wanted.

reapex.8546

I would have bought these things out right provided they fell into a week that I get paid; you see the vast amount of employers in the USA are cheap and they look to save money by paying their employees biweekly.

There are more GW2 players than just people that live in the USA.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I’ve got a suggestion, stop putting up one week limited items like these Golden Wings; I would have bought these things out right provided they fell into a week that I get paid; you see the vast amount of employers in the USA are cheap and they look to save money by paying their employees biweekly. Your marketing team needs to take biweekly paychecks into consideration because these 7 day limited items are not just costing you money from people like me they also build a sense of resentment towards your company because now I feel cheated.

Since the item I’m talking about is a Glider technically I am on topic.

Yeah they’re putting out too many sales too often it’s kind of desperate. I can only see so many new outfits and gliders in a month before the idea of getting more seems like a joke.

Really, at the rate of turnout and take-away of some of this stuff I might as well not buy so much of this because you seem to be capable of turning out new things all the time. Why should I not just wait for new things later that will probably look cooler than what’s there now?

That’s my mentality now. I don’t want to buy gems weekly and I won’t. Forget that cool thing I might’ve bought if you spaced it out more. I’m not gonna. Sell me better, ANet.

Posted by: Humlae.1234

Humlae.1234

Aerial “enemies”. When I say this, I don’t mean aerial combat. I mean a reason to use the existing gliding mechanics. So to use verdant brink as an example,

Day time – flock of birds. When you encounter these you are kicked out of your glider and it is locked for a few seconds. To escape, you need to outrun them for a bit using lean techniques.
Night time – swarm of bats. Same as above, but you can’t outrun them. You need to stealth past them.

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

Somebody wanted my designed wings on deviant***.* as a glider so badly, so i decided to bring it up here, tho this picture existed long before HoT.

Attachments:

reapex.8546

Somebody wanted my designed wings on deviant***.* as a glider so badly, so i decided to bring it up here, tho this picture existed long before HoT.

This looks great!

Posted by: Teleoceras.1298

Teleoceras.1298

I’d love to see an elemental type of dragon wing like fire or ice.

29 characters!
League of Omnipotents [Omni], Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Bambu.4270

Bambu.4270

You know that loading “issue” with glider when you waypoint somewhere and the game loads just too slow and you deploy nothing and look like a superman?

A No-Glider Glider skin!

Especially cute with asura and charr.

That’s progress. Hooray for progress!

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

As already mentioned several times in different threads, a glider skin for each ascended Spinal Blades varaint would be nice.

In regards to the gliding animation, there are different opinions on what it should look like. In my opinion it should be the animation shown by the assault knights before the fight begins (or something similar) – as seen at the beginning of the following video:

EDIT:
Actually, the “flapping” animation would only fit for slow gliding (when pressing “S”)… For normal gliding and fast gliding, other animations would be better. Like e.g.:
Normal gliding speed = Normal position of the blades + jetpack on
Fast gliding speed = Blades a bit folded + jetpack on

No idea if it is even possible to assign different glider animations to the different gliding modes…

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: Kyraler.8234

Kyraler.8234

I think Kyraler.8234 mentioned it first; a new Glider Crafting Discipline, like Armor, would make us work for it. We could build levels of gliders with crafting materials of some kind. Perhaps one kind of material results in feathers, and another in jet packs. We could find glider skins that we could put on our crafted gliders, but only if they ‘fit’ properly – can’t add a jet glider skin to a glider that is not crafted with jets.

This seems like it would fit the discipline Tailor. Of course, it depends on the type of glider you wanna make. My Destroyer Glider would probably have to be made in the Artificer place.
It’s not exactly easy to implement another crafting station like Scribing.. Scribing got there because it was guildhall-specific, but it still was probably a lot of work!!
With an aerodynamics crafting station, you’d have to find room in the Lion’s Arch plaza for it.
And besides, gliders aren’t something you really wear like backpacks. They’re just skins. :|

collections is a good place for this. Of course, I think alot of the collections should use their resulting items actually in the forge at least or something like that just for the sake of making sense rather than making items, selling them at a merchant and then the UI crapping out the final item lol, but yea…collections, even if it involves some crafted items from various professions.

THIS I think would be the easiest way for the devs to give us a hell lot of achievable gliders. Great Idea Guy

Could work something like this: for a parrot-like, rainbow colored, feathered glider you would have to collect several feathers (maybe from Tengus in Tarir? ) and when you finally got them all (shouldn’t be to easy! ) you would need to buy or build a glider mount (could be added to every crafting profession level 500) which would be the basis to every glider you could build yourself and isn’t cheap at all.

Some of you may ask why I emphasize the part that it shouldn’t be too easy and cheap: 1) Anet is a company which has to get its income, so maybe they just put something for gliders (e.g. glider mount or special glider colors or effects which you could combine) in the gem-store to make some money, so we all can enjoy our beloved game in the long term.
2) When you get to a certain point of gaming experience whithin the game it will get harder to stay motivated as long as no new content is released. So it would really be nice if there would be some achievements/titles or in this case gliders with which you could show off what you have invested to earn this. I mean, one of the only truely amazing achievements so far is when I encounter someone who has a “Tarrktun Personal Delivery Portal” because you have to invest a freaking 25.000 globs of ectoplasm + 10.000 gold to get this thing.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

a quagin holding you up with balloons.
something elite spec related. (like when you finish story on a class you unlock the elite glider) i’d love a spirt glint glider for my revenant.
or some sort of ninja related thing for daredevil (a giant kite or something)

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A bunch of balloons holding you up. Could be from the back only or could be tied by ropes to your arms and legs. Or it could be birds, or large butterflies.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

4 African Swallows, attached by rope……

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

HOLLY SIX!!!

Can there be an invisible glider that makes the character say something.

Examples:
-wiiiiiiiiiii
-frantic scream
-I’m flying… FLYING!!!
-sing SIA’s song: chandelieeeeer

Just a flesh wound.3589

4 African Swallows, attached by rope……

Only if the player is transformed into a coconut.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I would love to see cultural gliders.

Sylvari – something plantlike or leafy

Charr – obviously mechanical or steampunkish

Human – possibly a cape/glider – cloth or leather

Norn – glider made from a pelt or different types of pelts

Asura – Something magical and improbable looking but works

Posted by: KenSniper.8690

KenSniper.8690

Im not sure if it has been suggested before but give me an Aetherised Jetpack Glider (with steam/smoke trails) and my money’s yours

Posted by: Kazeshini.8210

Kazeshini.8210

I was playing WoW for a break, they have flying kites as mount, please add kite gliders.

Also make our magic carpets as gliders too

Posted by: ReActif.9251

ReActif.9251

Message translated by Google, I hope it will be understandable.

Bind keys and options for hang gliding!

Hello,

We see a few more may be, that will react here to say that the SPACE key for one touch of hang gliding is a problem in some cases.

We discussed it and both options are out again. IN ADDITION to the current key

• The first and most simple:
    It would have the ability to assign a specific key with default SPACE and like any controls, the ability to have a second choice.
  • The second and more pointed:
    It would have an option: “Enable / disable gliding” to make active or inactive. Possible to add an icon of “no flight area” if off when we have the mastery, etc …

Both options are visible on the screenshot!

If this option please click the thumb next to the message and put a comment to know.

Thank you

Attachments:

(edited by ReActif.9251)

Posted by: Jerhek.3604

Jerhek.3604

The new glider, Electromagnetic-Descender Glider, would be awesome if your back peice didn’t disapear when gliding. I would totally wanna see my Tempered Spinal blades be my glider with that effect, would totally buy it!

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Hehe, looks like they took care of the Asuran style glider with the Electromagnetic Descender Glider! Now we need a leafy or vine one that sheds leaves or flowers as you glide.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The new glider, Electromagnetic-Descender Glider, would be awesome if your back peice didn’t disapear when gliding. I would totally wanna see my Tempered Spinal blades be my glider with that effect, would totally buy it!

Unless that could be handled on a per-glider basis (which I’m guessing they didn’t design the engine to support) that would cause far more problems than anything else. Most back items would clip horrendously with most gliders, not to mention stuff like having 2 sets of wings if you were using your wing glider and your backpack at the same time and such.

Posted by: labesamis.9261

labesamis.9261

I want to fly in a giant bubble, like Glinda from The Wizard of Oz. The bubble could pop upon landing.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

I think Kyraler.8234 mentioned it first; a new Glider Crafting Discipline, like Armor, would make us work for it. We could build levels of gliders with crafting materials of some kind. Perhaps one kind of material results in feathers, and another in jet packs. We could find glider skins that we could put on our crafted gliders, but only if they ‘fit’ properly – can’t add a jet glider skin to a glider that is not crafted with jets.

This seems like it would fit the discipline Tailor. Of course, it depends on the type of glider you wanna make. My Destroyer Glider would probably have to be made in the Artificer place.
It’s not exactly easy to implement another crafting station like Scribing.. Scribing got there because it was guildhall-specific, but it still was probably a lot of work!!
With an aerodynamics crafting station, you’d have to find room in the Lion’s Arch plaza for it.
And besides, gliders aren’t something you really wear like backpacks. They’re just skins. :|

collections is a good place for this. Of course, I think alot of the collections should use their resulting items actually in the forge at least or something like that just for the sake of making sense rather than making items, selling them at a merchant and then the UI crapping out the final item lol, but yea…collections, even if it involves some crafted items from various professions.

THIS I think would be the easiest way for the devs to give us a hell lot of achievable gliders. Great Idea Guy

Could work something like this: for a parrot-like, rainbow colored, feathered glider you would have to collect several feathers (maybe from Tengus in Tarir? ) and when you finally got them all (shouldn’t be to easy! ) you would need to buy or build a glider mount (could be added to every crafting profession level 500) which would be the basis to every glider you could build yourself and isn’t cheap at all.

Some of you may ask why I emphasize the part that it shouldn’t be too easy and cheap: 1) Anet is a company which has to get its income, so maybe they just put something for gliders (e.g. glider mount or special glider colors or effects which you could combine) in the gem-store to make some money, so we all can enjoy our beloved game in the long term.
2) When you get to a certain point of gaming experience whithin the game it will get harder to stay motivated as long as no new content is released. So it would really be nice if there would be some achievements/titles or in this case gliders with which you could show off what you have invested to earn this. I mean, one of the only truely amazing achievements so far is when I encounter someone who has a “Tarrktun Personal Delivery Portal” because you have to invest a freaking 25.000 globs of ectoplasm + 10.000 gold to get this thing.

Stop encouraging stupid kitten collections. We have too many already.

reapex.8546

I want to fly in a giant bubble, like Glinda from The Wizard of Oz. The bubble could pop upon landing.

A friend said, oh like how the quaggans do xD. Quaggan Finisher.

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

http://youtu.be/VcvP82uc7jA

A glider backpack combo that lets me look like this since I’ll never get this skin.

A backpack skin for the electromagnetic.

Personally, most of the gliders should have a matching backpack skin even if it slightly raises the gem cost of the gliders.

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

That could be cute for a Mesmer!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Darn you! I just had this idea this morning! So I’ll +1 you instead.

It came to me as I was thinking of ways to revamp the new Electro glider and thought making it a sphere surrounding the person might look nifty.

At which point I realized a Glinda bubble would have a lot of potential thanks to ANet’s ability to add rainbow shimmers and ambient light reflections. They already have a Tempest water bubble to ride around on, so that animation could work either atop or within the bubble (unless they have to keep the gliding pose for airborne people, which might look odd inside a bubble but hey, it’ll still be an awesome glider).

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about gliders that transform the char, instead of being a glider skin.

Such as, changing you into a large hawk instead of giving you hawk wings. Or into a dragon. A butterfly. A balloon.

Or a coconut being carried by 2 African swallows. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

…..
Stop encouraging stupid kitten collections. We have too many already.

Whoah – hold on there! We can never have too many collections. They’re not compulsory. Just ignore them and leave ’em to me.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

How about gliders that transform the char, instead of being a glider skin.

Such as, changing you into a large hawk instead of giving you hawk wings. Or into a dragon. A butterfly. A balloon.

Or a coconut being carried by 2 African swallows. ^^

Would that change to a European swallow in colder climates?

Posted by: zolcor.2601

zolcor.2601

I think it would be cool if there was a glider that looked like dragon wings engulfed in orange flames like Volcanus.

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

Balloons. And when we land the strings get untied and they float away.

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

A general plea of mine:

PLEASE don’t introduce glider skins that can only be USED by a certain class/race/gender.
Skins that must be OBTAINED that way are perfectly fine but once the skin is unlocked it must be usable by any character just like it is now.

Why? Race or class specific gliders would likely look extremely specific to a certain theme. And countless players use those themes for other classes/races.

Posted by: ziggystardust.3721

ziggystardust.3721

Simple red balloon “glider”. Probably would be nice as account (not character) birthday present.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Ziggi’s name remind me of a glider we need to have: a Tiger made of Lightning.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

A rocking chair. Exclusive to the head start weekend GW2 originals crowd… ‘cause we’re old and cranky and need to chill out.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A rocking chair. Exclusive to the head start weekend GW2 originals crowd… ‘cause we’re old and cranky and need to chill out.

Add that to the balloons request, get something like
http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2009/05/08/ee4c6131-f8df-11e2-8c7c-d4ae52e62bcc/resize/570xauto/114db2edbcaa329587a44ff110e7641b/blog-Daniel_flying_in_armchair.JPG

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

Add that to the balloons request, get something like
http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2009/05/08/ee4c6131-f8df-11e2-8c7c-d4ae52e62bcc/resize/570xauto/114db2edbcaa329587a44ff110e7641b/blog-Daniel_flying_in_armchair.JPG

That… is awesome.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

A jet scrander backpack for my Asura Engineer- based on the one from Mazinger Z that uses the base bladed backpack as the centre and then has riveted wings that telescope out of the sides when you begin gliding.

That and an awesome shout emote to go with it whenever you begin gliding with it or whenever you lean to gain forward speed.

Something along the lines of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORicxRBiws

And:

http://mazingerzgreatkaiser.wikia.com/wiki/Mazinger_Z

Just scroll down to the section for the Jet Scrander.

(edited by Iozeph.5617)

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Zaithan undead wing glider with bones showing and meat decay falls off it.
Mordremoth vines and leaves wing glider with poisonous cloud.
Primordius rocky fla1mes molten wings dropping lava as it flies.
Kralkatorrik amethist crystal wing glider with purple mist as it flies.
Jormag icy corrupted wings with frost cloud and ice sicles falling.
Bubbles since it will probably be based on tentacles, should be tentacle and water wings with torrential rain falling.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

I would love a glider or two to be obtainable without the gemstore, through a drop or through tokens.

I also think it would be neat if these butterfly style back pieces could be used a gliders too or even make it so that the old molten backpack has a glider animation.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I haven’t read most of this thread, so forgive me if something similar has been suggested. When I said I’ve always wanted something “Asura techish” in other threads, my poorly drawn design below is what I had in mind. Hopefully it can spark some better designs.

Attachments:

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Evelyn.3518

Evelyn.3518

I really want the ability to turn off my glider. I keep trying to make small jumps and then end up flying past them because the glider deployed when I did not want it to. If we could just have a toggle option for allowing gliders to deploy, that would be great.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

dye channels on deluxe edition glow (the rest is supposed to look like the HoT logo)

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

Let us dye our gliders!!!!!!!