Glider Suggestions? Share Them Here!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

it was made long before gliding was put in the game, like 2 years ago, and it’s a toy not a backpiece.

Black feather wings were also released a long time ago, and we got a free glider skin if we owned them when HoT released

The black feather wings are a backpack. This is not. It’s a totally different category of items that’s not even armor related like the backpacks are. The main problem though is that it would also require reworking the flying animation to a sitting animation, which means it’s not a simple fix of putting a new skin on a glider like the wings were.

“reworking”

You mean toggling the char sit animation? Sounds really problematic toggling that…..

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

it was made long before gliding was put in the game, like 2 years ago, and it’s a toy not a backpiece.

Black feather wings were also released a long time ago, and we got a free glider skin if we owned them when HoT released

The black feather wings are a backpack. This is not. It’s a totally different category of items that’s not even armor related like the backpacks are. The main problem though is that it would also require reworking the flying animation to a sitting animation, which means it’s not a simple fix of putting a new skin on a glider like the wings were.

“reworking”

You mean toggling the char sit animation? Sounds really problematic toggling that…..

Since we don’t know how easy it would be to change the animation and the location of the glider from above to below the char, we can’t say. I knew ahead of time that would be your response I went ahead and found this quote and saved it. It’s a quote about a different subject but it makes the point that if you’re not a dev working for this company you can’t say how easy or hard it would be to put in a feature.

At this point, I need to interject. I am familiar with the process of changing to a multi-modality system of game presentation, having written about it long ago, when I was a journalist writing about another company and another game. For that game, too, players said “No big deal.” And they were absolutely wrong. They said, “Just tweak a few stats, lower a few spawns, and voila, you’ve got it!” No, that’s not how it worked. And that’s not how I think it would work for Guild Wars 2.
I will ask about this, and if we’re prepared to say something official, one of us will do so. But it’s counterproductive to have a discussion head down the path of misinformation and what seems to be a growing error in assumption. With all due respect, unless you’re a developer for GW2 you are not qualified to make a statement about the time needed, difficulty involved, or feasibility of such a feature.
You’re welcome to discuss the situation, and we appreciate that you want to do that. We welcome the conversation! But please participate by sharing what you’d like to see, and why, and don’t be misled by individual, external assumptions about the feasibility or practicality of such a request.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

The black feather wings are a backpack. This is not.

The bubble glider isn’t a backpack but it exists.

This just seems like a no-brainer suggestion if it hasn’t already been suggested many times before.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

It isn’t but it would be cool if it was!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This just seems like a no-brainer suggestion if it hasn’t already been suggested many times before.

You’re right, the bubble glider isn’t a backpack.The bubble glider is a GLIDER and it doesn’t require a reworking of the animation.

Completely misses the point.

I would also like the carpet to be a glider. I was addressing the original post as to why it wasn’t automatically made a glider, which is it’s a toy not a backpiece and it requires more work than reskinning the glider.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Since we don’t know how easy it would be to change the animation and the location of the glider from above to below the char, we can’t say. I knew ahead of time that would be your response I went ahead and found this quote and saved it. It’s a quote about a different subject but it makes the point that if you’re not a dev working for this company you can’t say how easy or hard it would be to put in a feature.

It’s most likely a point in 3d space as an anchor. The animation is already rigged for sitting. So it merely is setitng the anchor and then telling the char to sit. That’s it.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

You’re right, the bubble glider isn’t a backpack.The bubble glider is a GLIDER and it doesn’t require a reworking of the animation.

Completely misses the point.

Perhaps you’re missing the point? This is, more or less, suggesting the magic carpet (and the magic broom) be available as a glider skin.

Animation reworking is irrelevant since I doubt anyone is suggesting how easy or difficult this would be to implement. Frankly, trying to imply reworking animations for this is overstepping your bounds. You’re only guessing what effort is required.

On topic, I never bothered with these toys because they just don’t suit me but as a glider skin? That’s very different and I’d definitely buy that skin.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s also called Magic Carpet, not Flying Carpet. :P

I agree it’d be cool as a glider though.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s the gem price. They’d have to do an absolutely new one and all the people that have the one that is already out would raise heck about it. That was the first thing I thought of too when they announced gliding was that they should make the carpet a glider.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

What they have now is effectively a mount. Don’t expect them to do too much with mounts unless they somehow decide to go big with mounts in the expansion as a feature much like gliding was in the Heart of Maguuma.

A mount mastery wasn’t my idea, but it does sound like something possible in the expansion — they need a hook like gliding, and mounts would make sense. I don’t particularly want mounts, but I do recognize it as a potential selling point of the next expansion.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

http://the-designs.tumblr.com/

Do it! Do it nooow

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: NeoCodex.2438

NeoCodex.2438

I love gliders. This game needs more gliders and glider functionalities.

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

They should add more gliders that aren’t gliders. Like a magic carpet glider or a flying nimbus glider.

Posted by: Daehiril.2785

Daehiril.2785

How about a Glint-themed glider? Something to match the revenant’s shield/shoulder piece would be awesome. It would look great if it had the same effect as the shield. Please and thank you.

Agata the Wretched
Necromancer of [MEND]
mendingtheruined.com

Posted by: Slowly Losing My Mind.5031

Slowly Losing My Mind.5031

I would love a parachute or spider web glider!

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

- More magical particle effect stuff that’s not actually a glider object, like the static-magnetic-electric-charged-power-thingy or the bubble glider, I can’t remember the names. Examples:

• flaming body with flaming trail
  • tornado or wind-like fx
  • ghost fx
  • smoke-out Nightcrwaler-like fx
  • dyable generic magic particle effect+shader membrane with trails (cause it matches any looks, it’s probably going to sell well)
  • invisible glider, so it just looks like you’re flying like a super hero (with the appropriate much lower price due to nearly zero work it will take to make)

ALSO:

- enough overpriced wing-backpacked combos. Just make the actual gliders available separately. I don’t wanna pollute everybody’s screen with my giant wing-backpack thinggy while looking like an oversized chicken while i’m on the ground.

- NO ROTATION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD – I mean seriously, I’m not gonna buy your crappy items just because the good ones are out of rotation. just put them all for sale, jesus. What store keeps people from spending??? I GAVE UP buying gliders because they are never on sale.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i want the electric glider back, would also be fun to have both a godly and a demonic glider like this.

Attachments:

Posted by: Banrigh.5932

Banrigh.5932

being able to turn them on and off would be really awesome….. it’s frustrating trying to do a jumping puzzle and the glider popping out when you are trying to do a jump. makes me want to scream and throw things!!!!

Banrigh
Disa Wyrmhunter – Druid/Ranger
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Grey.3179

Grey.3179

Not sure if anyone has suggested this, but I would love to have a glider that uses the Aviator’s Memory Box for inspiration. Your character would make the sounds as you fly around. Lol, makes me smile just to think of it. Still one of Anet’s best.

Thunderfro the Grey – Asuran Ranger – [HART] [RTH] – Darkhaven

Posted by: accelerated.3581

accelerated.3581

Possibly something tied in with the Radiant & Hellfire backguards? Upon receiving the reward, it’ll unlock a glider in the style of each backguard respectively.

We’re trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death.

– Godspeed You! Black Emperor – The Dead Flag Blues

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

All i want are the Spine Blades made into gliders, whether they’re separate items or unlocked when you get the Spinal Blades, I really don’t care. They’re already basically jet packs, add a little fire to the vents and they’re already the best gliders available.

OR, if you dont want to do that, add a “null” glider that lets you just keep your current back piece and you float as per normal. Then I’ll have my Spinal Blade gliders.

Do this.

Yes, please give us something to use blade shards on!

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

How about gliders for those organizations like the Priory or Whispers?

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Character suspended under an Infinarium. Full sized one would be hilarious, of course, but best stick to a small version.

Posted by: meissa.4239

meissa.4239

i really want spinal blades gliders and/or a twisted watchwork glider tbqh

“Caithe, someday you’ll see. Tyria needs me.” — Scarlet Briar

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

i really want spinal blades gliders and/or a twisted watchwork glider tbqh

Twisted Watchwork Auto Gyro or auto-rotating (engineless) chopper blades… these things actually do work as gliders IRL.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think a paper airplane glider would be cool. I imagine it as a large paper airplane in the middle with smaller ones streaming off the sides. That way it would look like a flight of planes in formation. Bonus if they have dye channels.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

You want suggestions? I shall give you suggestions!
1. Molten Jetpack glider
2. Spinal Blades glider
3. Exalted glowing mantle-wings backpiece + glider
4. Mursaat black wings-mantle backpiece + glider
5. TRAIL EFFECT ON AD INFINITUM (that even basic gliders have) prefferably though made of sparkles or mist though, how the hell could you even forget that)
6. trail effect on The Ascension made of the actual colorful flames this backpiece has (also how could you forget about that)
7. Glint’s wings glider (+backpiece maybe because why not, would fit the shield “Glint’s Bastion”)

I can really go on.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Posted by: Redsong.9201

Redsong.9201

Here’s what I want to see in a glider…
A glider that isn’t one at all! It’s just the character running, or walking if you lean back, on earth shards. This… might be unreasonable, but i’d like to think of how cool all the eles would look doing this!

Posted by: DAMONWEX.3254

DAMONWEX.3254

Is there even a point to this thread??? I mean it’s been what? 3 months since they opened this idea section? and people have suggested tons of good glider ideas and one’s actually very easy to implement like spinal blades glider cuz it uses a lot of already available material and what do we get? They just keep releasing these boring reskins and that’s just it. What’s the point of an suggestions section if you are ignoring everything suggested in it?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m pretty sure we got the bubble glider thanks to this thread.

Posted by: MiloIsMilo.1586

MiloIsMilo.1586

Balloons and more balloons? Each one able to be dyed. Multiple balloons? Yea balloons =)

Posted by: Thecutkiller.4517

Thecutkiller.4517

This is not a new glider idea, this is a simple suggestion to an existing glider

The new bubble glider is great, but I feel the glider animation the player character uses while in the bubble should be replaced by the idle swimming animation. This would make the player feel like they’re actually trapped inside a bubble.

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Able to use ranged weapons while gliding

Make special places that incorporate gliding combat

Explorable pve or maybe even a wvw map

= win

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Posted by: zaneber.6908

zaneber.6908

Phoenix Wings
Steampunk Wings

Attachments:

Posted by: zaneber.6908

zaneber.6908

Phoenix Wings
Steampunk Wings

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is not a new glider idea, this is a simple suggestion to an existing glider

The new bubble glider is great, but I feel the glider animation the player character uses while in the bubble should be replaced by the idle swimming animation. This would make the player feel like they’re actually trapped inside a bubble.

The inside of the bubble is also filled with air … it is the bubble glider not the blob of water glider.

Maybe they could add a blob of water glider. Astronauts messing with liquids would provide relevant reference videos on how it should look.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I want some plant based thing for my sylvari …

https://maudestandard.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sugar-maple-seeds.jpg these are already wing/glider shaped

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Glide-r-Tron possible phrases:

“I just lost a bolt from my arm.”
“The view of your back is splendid”
“Don’t look down.”
“I can’t see the ground”
“You’ve lost weight”
“In the unlikely event of a water landing, I am not a flotation device.”
“Airplane sound file corrupted. Shutting down for reboot.”

So, c’mon ANet… let’s get a Glide-r-Tron!!!

~EW

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

You guys have moved gliders from server-side to client side and allowed client prediction for movement so that is great. Now that that is done, can you guys look into and possibly eliminating (and providing an option for) the minimum deployment time, or undeploy and re-deploy delay whichever exists (they don’t so just talking about minimum deployment)? Without the server lag, and the automatic deploy when holding the spacebar, the minimum glide/debouncing of the spacebar is really unnecessary I feel that it simply delays the stopping/restarting gliding and makes the experience of controlling your descent or quickly canceling unintended deployments unnecessarily clumsy.

On the functionality part, I would like to be able to dive with my glider. Now if I want to lose altitude I have to turn off the glider and open it again later, sure it works but it feels weird. No idea how that could be implemented tho, might need another key, since forward and back are for lean techniques.

On top of that, if the previous can be done, can we have an option for hold to glide on the jump button so that diving (intentional falling) can be done by smoothly pulsing the spacebar instead of frantically tapping the spacebar in quick succession (and then add separate bind for toggle/holding glide for when we are feeling lazy).

Thanks

Posted by: Scamp.5296

Scamp.5296

Ok, sorry if someone already posted these, but I don’t have time to read all 400 posts.

1. Player crafted gliders: Maybe a specific one for each profession, that can be sold! This would be a great way to reward players who have actually put the time into raising crafting, other than just legendaries, which are rare.

2. This is a functionality issue and may not be do-able – I hate it when I die because I lag out and don’t hit the space bar fast enough when I’m trying to drop down somewhere. Is there any way to fix that? Add a “fly to ground” option maybe? I don’t know but that is one of the most annoying things I have noticed about gliding, and completely outside the game.

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Not really a request, more alike a prediction if the Mursaat really do show up again:

“Mursaat “wings”!"

These pretties.

Since the pic is a bit old and mostly static:
The black Mursaat “Wings” have a streak of lightning across their length.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Bumblebee themed wings/ backpack—

Scarab wings

Dragon fly wings

More butterfly typed wings

Capes

Posted by: SCVwar.3784

SCVwar.3784

No Jetpack backpack/glider is suggested yet?
With dyes to change jet flames, etc?

Posted by: Hornet.6357

Hornet.6357

These designs are far better than any single glider ArenaNet has so far put out.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

How….how has this thread gone on so long? I just…I have no idea…

Gliders. THIS is the most talked about subject in the HoT forum?

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

So we got the magic carpet toy thing but what about it as a glider? What could be better than sitting on a carpet and gliding. Do the Aladdin!

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think you will find this suggested many times in the ‘Official’ Glider suggestions thread. (See Sticky above.)

Good luck.

Posted by: NiisanSora.6289

NiisanSora.6289

I was wondering if we could get gliders of the different colored Tempered Spinal Blades, unlocked like the fractal back piece was (when created).

Posted by: eNeRgOo.5463

eNeRgOo.5463

Ley Line Glider with an actual sound of Ley Line Magic! Omg give me that! I’d instantly buy it!

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

I see a lot of suggestion for “wings this” and “wings that”, but what about actual gliders?

Like I get it, everyone in this game is super obsessed about having wings and obnoxiously huge back-pieces that make their characters look like demonic angels or X-Men, but the number of wings and special-FX “gliders” outnumber the choices that we have for gliders that actually look like real gliders. Can we please have more choices that cater to the players that have zero interest in wings?

I guess what I mean to say is I’d like to see more “normal-looking” gliders along the lines of the Crystal Arbiter or Phoenix Kite, for example. But unique in design and not just a re-skin, of course…

You guys have so much to work with in this game, and yet we keep getting gliders that are out of place with the environment of Tyria. Angel wings? Bubble pods? Re-color after re-color of the exact same feather design?

How about something that actually shouts Guild Wars 2?!?!

Perhaps you could make a glider that looks similar to the windmills around Kryta? Vastly more lore appropriate than rainbow wings, that’s for sure.
Or how about a nod to the old Lion’s Arch and have a pirate-themed glider made out of sails and wooden ship parts? The Captain’s Council would approve of that!
Or get this, a glider that emulates the style of Rata Sum? It makes sense that the Asura would have engineers capable of making sleek-looking metallic gliders.
Or even a glider that follows the design of a Pact airship? It would make sense that all the crashed ships throughout the jungle are salvageable for scrap, so why not make a glider out of them?

Please, I’d like to see some variety in gliders and not another silly-looking pair of wings that has nothing to do with this game. Just look around… you have an amazing setting and lore to work with, and you’re letting it go to waste.

Attachments:

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]