"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

It’s a fine name honestly. Anything bland such as “Paragon” has no imagination attached to it.

Personally I much prefer “bland”, symbolic and to the point over cliche, personally.

For some reason, Dragonhunter reminds me of like 13 year olds in WoW with character names of like Sephirothlol, XxDragonslayerxX, LegolasX. Stuff like that. Very cringe worthy. x.x

Most people will get over the stigma of a name. I mean, think of all the other dumb names in all the games you’ve played. You shrug it off. Besides, no one is going to stop calling the class the ‘Guardian’ class. If my foresight is working, if the game lasts long enough, we will have access to MANY specializations for each profession. Dragon Hunter may just be one of many for Guardian.

Yeah, DH will be one of several. But I do think people will use its actual class name as they said they will have specific Icons. Icon recognition will secure proper name calling. And sure, it could be shrugged off. But why shrug it off when you can make it better?!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Dragonhunter would only make sense if it specialized at killing dragons. But Anet would never design a profession that is inherently superior than others at fighting key story bosses in GW2.

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Not liking the name at all. The traps are also meh so far. The thing I like about chronomancer is that its very much a mesmer spec. This spec is more of a guard/ranger with a stupid name. I am not saying they have to change the name. They can keep it. But it isnt really making this spec apealing. I will just call it war/mo from now on.

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Gah. Keep in mind the vocal minority is usually the group thats already upset. By the nature of it more people that dislike it are going to actually take the 10 seconds to vote. So im not sure how accurate this is going to be.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s a fine name honestly. Anything bland such as “Paragon” has no imagination attached to it.

Personally I much prefer “bland”, symbolic and to the point over cliche, personally.

For some reason, Dragonhunter reminds me of like 13 year olds in WoW with character names of like Sephirothlol, XxDragonslayerxX, LegolasX. Stuff like that. Very cringe worthy. x.x

Most people will get over the stigma of a name. I mean, think of all the other dumb names in all the games you’ve played. You shrug it off. Besides, no one is going to stop calling the class the ‘Guardian’ class. If my foresight is working, if the game lasts long enough, we will have access to MANY specializations for each profession. Dragon Hunter may just be one of many for Guardian.

Yeah, DH will be one of several. But I do think people will use its actual class name as they said they will have specific Icons. Icon recognition will secure proper name calling. And sure, it could be shrugged off. But why shrug it off when you can make it better?!

I will reserve my judgement on the name once I experience how the profession fits in the new content. Book by it’s cover and all that stuff you know? I think the name fits quite well. I see how it’s a step up from just Guarding and taking it to the Dragons as hunter with enhanced skills, long range weapon, etc… It’s not some poorly thought out concept, it simply doesn’t follow many people’s predispositions based on traditional ideas.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Its a poor name for a guardian, would fit a warrior more. The community suggestions like Paragon are far better.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Vinegaroon.4369

Vinegaroon.4369

Names mean nothing to the devs. if it did, they would have built a game around a GvG mechanic since its the name of the game. Dragonhunter is terrible, since when does guarding something mean going out and hunting instead. keep waffling on anet.

Posted by: DirtyHarry.9158

DirtyHarry.9158

I find the name to be horrendously applied to a prof. that has very little to do with “hunting” anything. Guardians are described as:

Guardians are devoted fighters who protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.

IF we are stepping away from this goal for an entirely new take, why r we stealing rangers second elite spec from the next expansion (we wont see another expansion if they keep naming things this badly and prioritizing new specs over our exisiting professions. i wouldnt feel half as bad if i knew i could prolly still play guard as is. but i have a sneaky feeling most old profs are gunna be cannon fodder to new content.)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I like it and look forward to experimenting with builds for them.

More news tomorrow!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

Names mean nothing to the devs. if it did, they would have built a game around a GvG mechanic since its the name of the game. Dragonhunter is terrible, since when does guarding something mean going out and hunting instead. keep waffling on anet.

except they aren’t Guardians now, they’ve specialized to be Dragonhunters. Besides don’t you think hunting down the biggest threat to everyone’s existence is still “guarding” Tyria, albeit a more proactive approach.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I find the name to be horrendously applied to a prof. that has very little to do with “hunting” anything. Guardians are described as:

Guardians are devoted fighters who protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.

Guardians are guardians, dragonhunters are dragonhunters. Elite specs are meant to feel like something new, while still being losely based on the base class.

That being said, the name is mediocre.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

‘Ranger’ would have made more sense though lmao.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

it’s kind of kitteny, and it’s nothing like a guard, in any way, so not a fan.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

Transfixer

transfix

• 1. to make or hold motionless with amazement, awe, terror, etc.
  • 2. to pierce through with or as if with a pointed weapon; impale.
  • 3. to hold or fasten with or on something that pierces.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

except they aren’t Guardians now, they’ve specialized to be Dragonhunters. Besides don’t you think hunting down the biggest threat to everyone’s existence is still “guarding” Tyria, albeit a more proactive approach.

Still weird. How do they train? How do they know they are usefull? What dragons do they hunt? I don`t see many in Tyria, aside from Dragon minions and then they are only in Orr mostly.
Oh we get some in the Maguuma deeps, but how does that work retroactively.
Why aren`t other classes specing for Dragon killing? I would love to get my elementalist to be a dragon hunter. She can conjur lances and stuff for any situation. It would be awesome.

Seriously. it`s a stupid fancy name for something that is just a Monster Hunter

I mean, he lays traps. On the ground. for something, if it was intelligent, that flies at nukes you from above.

The question is simply Why is he called a Dragonhunter? if he has nothing that makes him specific and usefull against dragons?

Oh and the wings? These are angel wings. They are Paragon like.

The only Dragon he has so far are his traitline rewards (gauntlets and bow) and his name…
If he had at least dragon wings.

In D&D there is a dragonmage. A class that shifts slowly to become a dragon, because it drinks dragon blood (or bathes in it? Something along the line).

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I prefer angelic references, Seraphim, Archangel, or Elohim.

Crusader is good as well.

Wait, what about Exorcist? Or something along those lines?

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The name also feels very disassociated from the core concepts of the ‘guardian’ profession. Why is the ‘guardian’ even being imagined as a ‘big game hunter’ in the first place?

Because its NOT A GUARDIAN?

Fundamental issues here. New profession icon. New weapon. New utility skill set. If you choose to you can make your entire skill tray have ZERO overlap with any guardian ever.

It’s not the same profession and that they’ve come up with something people think is so far from the base by swapping 1/3 of their trait lines that is a monumental resounding success in design.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I’m sorry it just sounds horrible to me. Just my opinion but yuck. It’s too specific. Most of the names are fairly general and feel a LOT more creative than “dragon hunter”.

With all of that said the actual design of the specialization seems pretty cool. So on that front, well done Anet.

Posted by: Mr Smith.9173

Mr Smith.9173

Haha it’s funny that so many people dislike it.

But honestly when I read it, and it was the first thing I read. I was thinking “that’s a bad name”.

Anet you can’t have a Dragonhunter until you add spears or lances to the game, i’m sorry but those are the rules of fantasy. Both Western (pictures of knights facing off with dragons mounted on armored steeds wielding lances). To Eastern fantasy gaming lore like Final Fantasy Dragoons.

I honestly suggest taking a bunch of the suggestions from this thread and having a poll to rename the class, of course you should have Dragonhunter as an option. Changing the name is such a small thing to make the fans happy in the long term, it’s a good deal.

(edited by Mr Smith.9173)

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

And there are plenty of other threads about this. No need to make another one.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Fundamental issues here. New profession icon. New weapon. New utility skill set. If you choose to you can make your entire skill tray have ZERO overlap with any guardian ever.

It’s not the same profession and that they’ve come up with something people think is so far from the base by swapping 1/3 of their trait lines that is a monumental resounding success in design.

I get what you are trying to say, but I think you misunderstand my gist. Yes, the chronomancer is not a mesmer; it is a chronomancer. Yes, the tempest is not an elementalist; it is a tempest. Yes, the dragonhunter is not a guardian; it is a dragonhunter. At the same time, however, these are elite specializations of a base professions and work largely off of these base professions. They branch off from these base classes, but they are still connected, at least conceptually.

The chronomancer is not a mesmer, but the chronomancer builds off of the mesmer’s ability to create phantasms, alter time, and chaos magic. The chronomancer name connects conceptually with this aspect of the mesmer.

Likewise, we get that the dragonhunter is not a guardian, but it does not seem to conceptually build off from the guardian, at least in terms of its name. The name feels disconnected from the elite specialization’s mechanics apart from the superficial aspects of using a longbow and traps. Conceptually, there is nothing about the guardian core profession that would suggest, even remotely, that “big game hunter” would be an archetype that branches off from the guardian.

The chronomancer’s name and abilities feel conceptually like an outgrowth of the mesmer. IMHO, the dragonhunter does not. I could guess that a ‘tempest’ is the elite specialization belonging to the elementalist. I could guess that a ‘chronomancer’ is the elite specialization belonging to the mesmer. I could not do anything of the sort with the ‘dragonhunter,’ which sounds evocative of a ranger or warrior elite specialization rather than the guardian.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Genesis.8572)

Prophet.6257

Care to go the the post saying that its a good name and repeat yourself.

Posted by: DirtyHarry.9158

DirtyHarry.9158

It really Hurts my Views on ANets Future attempts to capture my attention. i Dont think that Anet Really though this one through…… STOP RUSHING UR GAME GUYS PLZ! U HAVE A GOOD THING HERE. DONT “WOTLK” THIS plz.

DragonflyDusk.6582

Or you could since you found it. No need to make me do all the work.

Prophet.6257

Or you could since you found it. No need to make me do all the work.

lol, fair enough.

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

Nothing about this guardian looks or feels like it needs to be called a Dragonhunter. Now I’m not saying he needs to have a Dragon Feel or a Dragon Theme, but maybe if he had something that made them stand out from the rest that seemed like they’d be more likely to hunt a Dragon than anyone else would be satisfying. Maybe because they have Heavier Armor, Larger Weapons, and traps would make them the best qualified, but even so many other names comes to my mind going off of the looks of this character and it’s not Dragonhunter. Nothing with Dragon or Hunter fits this character. He has more of an polish and respectable feel. Any name that seemed heavenly, holy, dignitary, regal, celestial, or knightly would work. I’m all for changing this specialization name!

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

See, it makes sense to me. What is a guardian’s most defining limitation? – lack of range.
What is the defining qualities of dragons? They fly and getting close to them ends in squishing. The Class had to evolve specifically to combat dragons.

Posted by: Sauncho.8076

Sauncho.8076

The name also feels very disassociated from the core concepts of the ‘guardian’ profession. Why is the ‘guardian’ even being imagined as a ‘big game hunter’ in the first place?

Not a Guardian? Wait what….. am I misunderstanding something. I thought in HOT we were going to be choosing 3 trait lines out of six (one of which being the new DragonHunter trait line). That means if you did pick the DragonHunter trait line, the other 2 are still guardian specific trait lines (valor, honor, etc.). The DragonHunter trait line comes with additional perks of having the bow and additional utilities.

So doesn’t that mean your still a Guardian, just with some additional “goodies?” How is there “zero overlap with any guardian ever?”

“Pimpin aint ez”

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

They should keep the name solely for the QQ.

Also your strawpoll is kinda worthless since less than 10% of the pop. ever visit the forums. So you are getting the extreme minority.

Then spread it to other websites… It may only be seen by the more dedicated player base, but at least you’ll get to see a broader perspective.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Little off-topic but…a little surprised to a Necromancer so heavily interested on the Guardian changes.

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

It really Hurts my Views on ANets Future attempts to capture my attention. i Dont think that Anet Really though this one through…… STOP RUSHING UR GAME GUYS PLZ! U HAVE A GOOD THING HERE. DONT “WOTLK” THIS plz.

This is definitely a direct attack to try to cannibalize the ESO market. Which they didn’t need to do, What ever happened to Standing up to Gw2 own merits? I’ve been saying on reddit and else where this would have been fine IF we had dragonic skills or a baby dragon to fight alongside with and raise, but we don’t and it doesn’t and this is just misleading, and is potential to be call out as bait and switch by new players coming in.

DragonflyDusk.6582

Maybe I just feel like my Sylvari Engineer keeps getting a bad rap with her life choices in the story, but it just strikes me as odd that Guardians are singled out as Dragonhunters when we all are hunting… dragons. Way to steal the spotlight, Guardians.

I guess I’m in the middle here. I don’t hate it, but I don’t really like it, either.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Little off-topic but…a little surprised to a Necromancer so heavily interested on the Guardian changes.

It’s all about justice. I love everyone. Except Engineer…

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

DragonflyDusk.6582

‘Ranger’ would have made more sense though lmao.

Anet’s plan to turn us all in to rangers: CONFIRMED! :O

A Ranger by any other name would smell as Ranger.

Edit: I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’ll go sit in the corner now.

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

That’s cool man, good to hear from an “outsiders” perspective.

Harvest.2506

Arbiter seems to be just that call it a day solution, we’ve come to on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/357a70/fixing_dragon_hunters_lukewarm_reception_is/

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

No, it is NOT. Not at all.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

Dragonhunter would only make sense if it specialized at killing dragons. But Anet would never design a profession that is inherently superior than others at fighting key story bosses in GW2.

It sort of does though, as it gives guardian a decent (in theory) ranged weapon which they need to hunt flying enemies like dragons.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I could live with Arbiter

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Harvest.2506

1. We’re all Dragon Hunters
2. The are no Dragonborn/ dragonic energy / baby dragons to use to match the name
3. Its copying ESO and Final Fantasy to the Cheesiest degree
4. Its two words merged badly, We can’t have that for a Specification Name

My vote is for the Arbiter on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/357a70/fixing_dragon_hunters_lukewarm_reception_is/

Definition
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arbiter

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

Hahaha No they don’t. And most of the “helpful suggestions” people come up with are just as cliche as dragon hunter.

Sentinel
Paragon
Valkerie
Artemis (credit to Atlas3025 on reddit)
Atlas
Quincy ( Bleach)
Marshal
Signaller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signaller (also from YugiOh 5D)

I think Artemis (Rear Guard), Marshal (Military Police), or Signaller (Artillery Guidance) as names have more relevance than Dragonhunter.

Unless of course we get a baby dragon to fight with and rise, or some sort of Draconic mechnic, like in skyrim or Final Fantasy XI. This is just a bit too random.

Sentinel – This one is really good
Paragon – Doesn’t do what a Paragon does. No.
Valkerie – This is exclusively female from Norse legend. No.
Artemis – This is literally a Greek god’s name. No.
Atlas – Again, another Greek, this time a Titan. No.
Quincy – Probably trademarked (although the likenesses are uncanny, I must say). No.
Marshal – Ehh, too much like a commander. Maybe.
Signaller – Isn’t exactly what this guy does, but the name is iffy too. Ehh…

Sentinel is the only one that makes significant sense here.

He does throw spears like the Paragon does…
Dragonhunter is not what this guy is… with all the negative feedback on this name, I hope they change it!
I think Seraphim or seraph fits best. He has wings, a bow, shoots blue heavenly light, and wears heavy armor. I know they don’t want to have too much of a religious theme, but they choose those angel wings and the Ankh, not me! I just call it how I see it!

Maybe they should call it Seraph the Dragonhunter! lol

Genesis.8572

If the core concept of the elite specialization is that Braham is picking up his mother’s bow to avenge her, why not call the guardian elite specialization the Avenger?

Tarnished Coast

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’m pretty sure hunting dragons wasn’t invented by those titles.

Also, Arbiter sounds cool.

Harvest.2506

One game had the Dragonborn, the other Befriended a dragon from birth. yet still fight dragons. So fine, even if we don’t Need the close association with dragons to have Dragon in the class spec, Why are guardians any better at hunting Dragons than every other class. its just too broad a term for a name to give to a Specialty.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

So, what about by Thief, Elementalist and Ranger? Aren’t they Dragon Hunting?

the guardian is actually going to hunt them apparently, with light, bows, and traps.

theives would be dragon stalkers
mesmers would be dragon dominator
engineers would be dragon dissectors
warriors the obvious dragon slayers

anyhow the key here is the specialization is about hunting enemies.

Harvest.2506

If the core concept of the elite specialization is that Braham is picking up his mother’s bow to avenge her, why not call the guardian elite specialization the Avenger?

Out of fear of being considered a copycat too close to recent movies. In this day and age Names and words are Copyrighted, and the lawyers are hungry.

Posted by: Kyban.4031

Kyban.4031

Out of fear of being considered a copycat too close to recent movies. In this day and age Names and words are Copyrighted, and the lawyers are hungry.

New specialization: the Hawkeye…erm, I mean Avenger!

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

One game had the Dragonborn, the other Befriended a dragon from birth. yet still fight dragons. So fine, even if we don’t Need the close association with dragons to have Dragon in the class spec, Why are guardians any better at hunting Dragons than every other class. its just too broad a term for a name to give to a Specialty.

just cause you put something in your title/job doesnt mean you are better at it than anyone else.
penciler: are they better at penciling than every other artist out there?
laborer: noone else does any labor, and they are the best at it.

its just a name, not the encapsulation of their being.

Genesis.8572

The “Avenger” was used as a name in D&D 4th edition for the offensive striker ‘paladin.’ It works. The lawyers would not exactly have a case for a game’s use of Avenger that in no way would infringe on the Avengers franchise.

Tarnished Coast

DragonflyDusk.6582

How in the world did you get any of that out of my statement? You said the name was cheesy and accused it of ripping off of other games, I said dragons are not limited to Final Fantasy and ESO. That argument was off, which is why I pointed it out. I didn’t say you were wrong for not liking the spec name or that the spec name even made sense.

Edit: And I agree with the bolded part, and I have mentioned in other threads I thought it was weird to single out guardians with hunting dragons.

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)