GvG, massive combats or limited teams?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Hello there.

One things that most worries me about GvG on Stronghold sPvP is really, Limits.

GvG is something to be massive, and it doesn’t make sense on small teams fighting each other, that is pretty much X number of people representing a guild, than actually a real GvG fight.

My question is, will we have a decently big number of players on this new PvP mode?
Or do you want to promote elitism instead, forcing larger guilds to create groups specific for that PvP mode?

I would hate the second one, a real massive fight where many people can join is more fun, limit it will force elitism into something that will end up in a normal sPvP match and not really a GvG right.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

GW1 gvg was 8v8. I wouldn’t expect much larger groups.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

GW1 gvg was 8v8. I wouldn’t expect much larger groups.

Some speculation based on the trailer suggest that they might be doing instanced group content for around 10 players but that is based on counting what is assumed to represent player characters in a scene that is assumed to be outside of the normal open world.

So flimsy at best but better than nothing, I guess. From what I understand the party size limit was at its roots technical and related to instancing so maybe they have managed to work that out or come up with a better solution than what they have right now.

Max Lexandre.6279

Ah seems GvG will be only for elitist PvP groups inside the guilds then.
It’s sad, GvG has more potential approaching the WvW idea, than actually a normal sPvP match.

Asura thing.

Max Lexandre.6279

A guild with around 60 Players Online like we do, GvG like this means only 8-10 can go, everything else stays watching. Bah

Asura thing.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

“I want GvG like GW1!!!!”

“GW1 GvG was 8v8”

“I WANT GvG THATS NOT GW1!!”

Posted by: Vampirial.9056

Vampirial.9056

A guild with around 60 Players Online like we do, GvG like this means only 8-10 can go, everything else stays watching. Bah

nothing has been stated that a guild can only have 1 team fighting at a time.

Crise.9401

“I want GvG like GW1!!!!”

“GW1 GvG was 8v8”

“I WANT GvG THATS NOT GW1!!”

Seems about right…

The moniker Guild vs Guild was a bit of a misnomer in GW1 in that it did not mean that whole guilds would go against each other, but it did mean that guilds competed against one another.

The two distinct groups using the same term to refer to two wildly different things certainly doesn’t help matters.

Posted by: Phosphia.7813

Phosphia.7813

Stronghold isn’t GvG. It isn’t supposed to be GvG..

Stronghold is a new spvp mode which will be ranked between guilds (Which is great).

Just be happy for a moment that anet made something interesting for people who play spvp.

Posted by: Derdhal.6908

Derdhal.6908

What would be the point of massive GvG? Guilds of 100 members smashing guilds of just 20? Sorry, but it makes no sense, if there is a limit of 10 and you are 60, then play 6 games at the same time.

Posted by: Phosphia.7813

Phosphia.7813

What would be the point of massive GvG? Guilds of 100 members smashing guilds of just 20? Sorry, but it makes no sense, if there is a limit of 10 and you are 60, then play 6 games at the same time.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

GvGs are currently run as 20vs20 and the guilds running them don’t have 100s of players…..

But Stronghold is a new spvp mode and will not replace GvG. But it will offer a place for people in spvp guilds to be competitive amongs eachother. And sure, you can call it a spvp gvg if you feel so passionate about it lol.

The new spvp mode represents nothing of what GW2’s GvG is about. Gates.. Ncps?.. Lanes?.. lol.

I don’t undertand what all this talk is about. Spvp and the GvG the hardcore guilds are doing in WvW have nothing to do with eachother.

(edited by Phosphia.7813)

Crise.9401

The voice of reason is lost on this subject :P As is so often the case when people get passionate about something, like GvG or whatever you want to call GW2’s community driven version of it.

Just to point out though: we don’t actually know anything or we know next to nothing about this game mode. It could be 20v20 for all we know.

Also if guilds doing GvG do not have 100’s of players well that doesn’t make his point invalid. If all don’t fit in one match you hold multiple and the one with most wins comes out on top, no?

(edited by Crise.9401)

Max Lexandre.6279

LOL that’s simple as when creating the mach chose then number of players 5/10/20!
That will open same number of slots for both guilds, and will fit small, and large guilds.

Asura thing.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

thats not what gvg. ill enlighten you. gvg is 20v20 or 15v15 deathmatch. if you play wvw in anywhere t1 or t2 you should easily see this. in t2 especially there are gvg’s hosted nightly in the OS if you want to go watch. gvg is not 100 vs 20, i have no clue where you got this from lol.