Heart Of Thorns 1 month review

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Reaper.1239

Reaper.1239

Hello everyone, since one month has already passed I thought of writing a long review about my time and adventures in Heart of Thorns. I will only talk about topics which require talking about. Prepare for a long wall of text but i will try to be as constructive as possible. I will list the positive and negative aspects on some of the features of the expansion but I will mainly focus on the negative side because that’s more important for the game and what the devs need to improve on.
1) The Story – So I have played through the story twice, once on my main ( a human) and another time on a sylvari .So here the pros and cons:
Pros : + Your player character speaks now which is a major plus. It keeps your attention unlike the personal story dialogues where you tend to skip ,skip, skip
+ Final fight is really well designed and balanced ( except for the bugs). It is not a zhaitan 2.0 and neither is it super difficult ( remember this is the
personal story and everyone has to finish it!).
+ The story instances overall are very engaging e.g Running away with the egg from Faolain? Brilliant

Cons: – Even though the story telling was vastly improved, the HoT story lacks depth. Now i do understand that the main priority was finding Destinys
Edge and the egg, however being a sylvari- centric plotline, it missed many plot threads. Why was the Nightmare Court barely touched upon? What happened to Malyck and his tree? This is just an example, but instead of Trahearne somehow magically giving us access to the Dream, why not add an extra instance or two, where we finally discover Malyck’s tree and their sylvari who are struggling against the corruption. The Tree’s avatar could have suggested that the only way to defeat Mordremoth was to destroy his mind and that avatar could have given us access to the dream instead of trahreane.
What I am saying is that, Anet had brilliant concepts but did not execute them properly. Eg: How do we defeat something so massive ,whose whole physical body is the jungle itself and can regrow anytime? We destroy it from the inside, from the source where the corruption spreads.
— The pacing was off at the end. It started off slow where we seek help from the Itzel, deliver the egg, and immediately later, we are inside Rata Novus and then an instance or 2 later , we are fighting Mordremoth?
— This is an expansion story, not a living world episode. Ending it so abruptly felt incomplete. The cliffhanger with egg was fine and all, however we don’t
get to find out what happened to the Pale Tree, what happened to the two members of Destiny’s Edge we just rescued. What happened to Nightmare Court after Faolain died. What about Canach, we know he was sent by
Countess Anise but why? What about Caithe? Do we fully trust her know and how is she dealing with Faolain’s death? Some of these things shouldhave been touched upon at the end.
— Rytlock? He was in the teaser trailer. He was in the launch trailer. But he did not play a major role in the story? I know this mainly focused on the Sylvari but still kind of disappointing.

2) The Open World
Pros + Beautiful , beautiful , beautiful! Looks amazing graphically. The verticality is
awesome.
+ Difficulty is good and well tuned. The jungle will require you to pay attention. It will require you to use a tankier gearset at the beginning, I know I did. I played a zerker Guardian. Upon entering the new maps, I did die a few times, so i switched some my trinkets and accessories around to soldiers and knights. Later on, when i got the hang of it, I switched back to zerker and did fine.
+The Meta events feel epic – specially Dragon’s Stand Eg. When I first encountered Mouth of Mordy , I was speechless. However these events have a serious flaw which I will touch up in the cons.
+ Amazing soundtracks. Nothing more to say here

Cons — Map wide Meta Events. While its fine that the new maps have these, it creates a feeling of rush. Everything is on a timer. Miss the timer? Miss the
events and the loot. Locking stuff because of these Meta Events – not a very good idea. It does nothing but block off content for those miss the
events and this leads to my next major point.
— Megaservers. Ok let me tell you a story. Friday evening, coming home from work , pretty tired, I decide to do the Dragon Stand meta to get the inscription for my Elite spec weapon. So after waiting for a new fresh map, I go Dragon’s Stand and as usual i end up in a semi empty map. Keep in mind that the timer was around 1:53:00. So i look in lfg and i see several parties saying " DS 3 COMM" bla bla but before i could even click them, they fill up in 1 millisecond! and disappear. Maybe i have slow reflexes but
still! After several attempts i managed to join one. Cool! Except Map is full. I spam click to join but with no luck. Timer is around 1:45:00 ish now. I thought, plenty of time so I joined other taxis, where it said ‘Organised / 3 commanders’ but all of them were full. Then guess what, " You can’t join anymore parties, because you have joined too many recently" . I was really annoyed and stressed out at that point but i decided to keep my cool andwait. Finally i joined one with 2 commanders and it was going fine. After we
finally destroyed the blighted towers , BAM , Crashed, gg. ( Yes i am using the 64 bit client) Could not get back in, inspite of spam clicking Join.
SO what I am saying is that I know you cannot change the megaserver system, etc , but PLEASE include at least one map , where it is not tied to a giant map
wide meta event , so we can explore on our own and enjoy the scenery instead of wasting 30 mins , clicking on LFGs trying to find a good map and hurting our
fingers. Replayability =/= Meta Events behind a timer
— Tangled Depths and its meta. Now while i enjoy a challenge in the Open World the TD meta never has enough players to complete the meta and this causes
causes the map to be a ghost town. I see quite a few people in other 3 maps but never in TD. Why? I rarely see any taxis for Chak Gerent aswell. Coupled by the complexity in the map layout and the failure of this meta, people don’t find a reason to stay in this map.I can tell that so much resources and time and effort has been put into this map to create the level of detail, depth and design but itall goes to waste if it becomes a wasteland , since to complete most of the content , you need other people! Instead the resources could have gone to creating 2 simpler maps instead of TD with more fine tuned events and places to
explore. Whats done is done, but i seriously think , the TD meta needs some balancing. Balancing =/= nerfing the content but can be done in other ways.
3)Guild Halls -
Pros +Pretty spacious and beautiful maps overall.
+The buildings and their functionalities are well designed and the progression feels rewarding. I know i was pretty stoked to see our market upgrade to level 2.
+ Has lots of potential for new buildings to be added in the future. Eg: Trophy room anyone?
Cons — Now i do understand, that the materials and items required for upgrade buildings are designed for an average sized guild and not someone solo/a tiny guild, what about the people who play WvW. Let’s be honest. Compared to PvE and sPvP, WvW is pretty unrewarding. To Upgrade, the War Room, which u do need to if u want to fully enjoy the new features in WvW, u need tons of expensive mats. How will people who only play WvW, afford them? I understand the mat requirments for Tavern, Workshop, Arena but the War Room needs to be balanced.
— Scribing – Ok , seriously this needs to be fixed. I saw an earlier post, where max Scribing costed ~ 5000g. Is this a joke? I know this is supposed to be a shared guild funded effort to level up scribing but honestly its not. Leveling up a crafting proffession should not be like this. “The Guild Effort” goes into the mats required for building upgrades, “The Guild Effort” goes into the mats for crafting decorations, but to level up scribing? NO! The proffession is tied to your own character and this massive paywall is the reason why people ignore it. Again brilliant concept but poor execution.
Crafing and decorating your Guild Hall which slowly progresses could be so much fun! but this just ruins your experience and demotivates you!
4) Instanced Content
Pros + Raiding – an excellent addition to the game. This is what Gw2 needed in terms of challenging , group content and i think Anet delivered it perfectly. ( Talking about the mechanics and team coordination)
+ Fractals – I KNOW ppl are mad about this but overall adding 50 more scales gives people more to do but again this depends on whether the december “balance” patch will fix the issues currently.
Cons —Raiding and the lfg. Ok firstly, the open world lfg is a mess because there is not separate section for raiding. I know Anet said they did not want people pugging Raids, but honestly in a few months this will be puggable. I already see posts about people killing the Vale Guard as pugs. I really think Lfg needs a raiding section. Remove the WvW and Pvp ones , barely anyone uses them.
— Speaking of pugs. I think the difficulty is well balanced with the cool mechanics and stuff however coming to Gorseval and future bosses, I see the enrage timer being a wall to unorganised groups. To lure a higher pecentage of players to raids, Anet should add an easy mode to raiding. Whats the difference in easy mode u ask? All the mechanics stay the same BUT increase the enrage timer. For example Vale Guard 8 mins to 10. Gorseval 7 mins to 9/10. Rewards: Remove the legendary items for the armor from easy mode, but keep asc drops. What this does, is it will encourage people who are new to raiding to encounter these bosses,see how fun it is, and gear up with ascended equips to tackle the normal mode where they can get the mats required for Legendary Armour!
Increasing the timer by 2-3 mins doesn’t nerf the content but it does give people a chance to try out different build sets, try out the bosses, explore the lore behind the raids and get them motivated to try the normal mode.
I see lots of posts about “GET RID OF TIMER. DPS IS RUINING THE GAME” and therefore adding this easy mode should be a good balance and will teach people that dps is not harmful, it will not kill you , u need dps to defeat the bosses, but u will need to optimize your gear if you want to try normal mode.
— Fractals – too long of a list to mention here but they are planning to fix most of the issues in Decemeber so finger crossed for that.
Congratulations! If u read through all that ,you win a cookie!
Overall, Will i recommend Heart of Thorns to someone? – Of Course! HoT has been a great addition to the game, it has lots of content and gives us more to do and it will be even better if Arenanet fixes some of the core issues behind it. I apologize, if my spelling and grammar was off but feedback is very important for the game. This will help Anet make better expansions in the future.
Ps . I did not mention anything about WvW and SPvP because i am more of a PvE player so writing a review for game modes that i spend little time on is meaningless.
But i am aware of the major issues in WvW.
- Thanks for reading and feel free to add Contstructive!!!! feedback aswell.

(edited by Reaper.1239)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Did you copy and paste this from somewhere? The formatting is kind of messed up.

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

The truth? I jumped to the last part lol, no cookie for me?

Reaper.1239

Did you copy and paste this from somewhere? The formatting is kind of messed up.

I don’t know what happened, it looked fine on preview but got messed up for some reason. Anyways it should be a bit better now..

Reaper.1239

The truth? I jumped to the last part lol, no cookie for me?

Ok I will give you a single chocolate chip from the cookie.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

I agree with many of your points, but I want to comment specifically on one: Raiding Easy Mode. This needs to be implemented! I’d love to see what they’ve done with raids, but gearing up to do them is pretty daunting. If there were a tuned down version where a player could gear up for the “regular mode” that would be awesome.

I don’t care one bit about legendary armor, but I’d love a chance at some ascended drops.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Love my Reaper, enjoy gliding, disappointed with the path they are on currently with maps and hope it does a complete 180 in the LS and next expansion. Meta’s are no longer doable due to the poor grouping design for filling maps, c/w loss of completion when maps closed is painful. No reason to revisit the content once completed because the rewards stink with a capitol S! There is way too much gating and the cost to craft anything of consequence is outrageously high in both gold and mats as well as time.
Grind, grind, grind and zero fun factor after 1 month of play, heck anything I do enjoy gets crushed by DM. The meta time is a horrible expansion of the rushed feeling many complained about with the 2 week LS cycle, how didn’t one developer question that decision? A lot more negative than positive right now, and frankly the only really positive thing for me beyond the Reaper, is the two Wyvern fights, especially the fire platform, loved it!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

Great review. Thanks for the time you put in. I agree with you on most of your points. I am a newer player(2 months) and I am finding this game a lot of fun. However I feel I have hit what I am calling the “ascended wall.”

I have just begun crafting ascended armor. At first I thought it was cool that it could be crafted at all. Now, that I realize what it is going to take, I am getting pretty down on it. I have been wanting to do fractals and raid content but my lacking in ascended gear, soon, is going to hurt me. I really wish there was a legit PvE way to obtain ascended gear outside of raids. Though if a change to raids was made as you suggested, it would drastically help out.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

I really wish there was a legit PvE way to obtain ascended gear outside of raids. Though if a change to raids was made as you suggested, it would drastically help out.

Yep, me too. Supposedly, Tequatl still drops ascended weapon boxes, but for months now, I’ve been running him 2-3 times per day on different characters, and have yet to see one.

It’s a pretty poor move on ANet’s part to tune encounters for ascended gear, then to not put any reliable way to get that gear (without lengthy, spendy grinds). I guess they want us to use the credit card.

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

Are you kidding? The final fight of the story is buggy as hell!

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

i feel like i bought a unfinish product from Anet.

Posted by: SqualZell.7813

SqualZell.7813

OMG this x1000

imagine,
NEW ROLE: THE HEALER

let only give it 1 beta weekend

I understand that things need tweeking after launch, and things need to be fixed here and there, and that is perfectly normal and acceptable. but this is not the case we have here. big chuncks of the expansion require complete revamps.

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

OMG this x1000

imagine,
NEW ROLE: THE HEALER

let only give it 1 beta weekend

I understand that things need tweeking after launch, and things need to be fixed here and there, and that is perfectly normal and acceptable. but this is not the case we have here. big chuncks of the expansion require complete revamps.

i rather they put more effort in wvw than raid. they dont even test the raid by themselves. =

(edited by Ronnie Hu.1694)

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I would like to add my 2cts to your review since I’ve been a bit more extensive in the story :

- There are holes in some of the chat when your not sylvari and it’s disturbing.

- Being an asura and feeling dumb as hell in front of Taimi is ok but being an asura and not even being the slightest excited about finding “Rata Novus” feel really off. So I think there have been some good step in how our character interact in the story but there is still a need to give our character more depth in regard of their own race.

- I would have liked to see :
Human being a bit more self centered in how they interact
Asuran being leaving a feeling of intelligence and overall showing some complicity with Taimi when it come to complex stuff and rata novus.
Charr being grumpy
Norn being less serious.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: anasantos.1263

anasantos.1263

Am I the only one extremely annoyed by the " you have joined to many parties please wait a moment before trying to join"?? Most of the times I join one party and after I leave I get this message! even doing fractals,I join a party finish the fractal leave try to join another party and bam this message slaps me in the face! I literally dont have time for this! insert meme

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I pretty much agree 99% of your post as a head-start player.

Story is pretty obvious, they rushed out for it and out of time, can’t meet the schedule. That’s why it ended so suddenly, skipping the whole “finding weakness” part.
Also HoT story is a wasted potential since the build up leading to HoT story is so epic.
Anet really does not utilize the concept of Sylvari’s betrayal. They only touch the very surface of it without explaining too much.

Also, this post misses one crucial flaw of HoT: The god-kitten precursor crafting system.
This entire system is a joke and a big gold sink and nothing more. They make such a huge gold sink/time sink only to scare people away so legendaries can keep their scarcity. However, new legendaries are exactly the same as old ones, a huge pile of gold gather into one place. There’s nothing legendary about it.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Yes in all honesty i agree with most of what you said except the numbers part for the TD meta. If you have low numbers you obviously can’t do it, and that in most cases is the problem BUT, maps that organize have HUGE issues with the big number of ppl because they overscale the event and ultimately fail it. When you have the exact number of ppl needed (which is rare)..then you have the problem of timers..because of timers, all people should have the correct build and do everything perfect in order to win.

There are so many problems with that meta it’s not even funny….why? i don’t know. I honestly can’t think of any other meta event in this game that is this hard…and for what? For nothing…that’s why people will just do it once (for the mistward helm) and never touch it again. Get what out of it? a few greens/blues? … maybe a skin obtainable via map currency? For that to waste hours of my time and coordinate people? No thank u.