HoT = living world season 3...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jeffrey.1426

Jeffrey.1426

Like the titel say…
HoT is the same expansion as living world season 2 only dubbel the price…
Where are the expansions we got in gw 1?
Its really a bummer getting 4 maps for an expansion thats completed in 3 weeks.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Living World Season 3 will come in the beginning of 2016 and will be available only to those people who own HoT. So you basically paid even for the whole season of content. Rather join the rant about bugs and ridiculous salvage rates of ascended mats please.

Jeffrey.1426

+ there are still 4 more elder dragons to come..
So if i got to buy a story for each elder dragon that includes 4 maps and the story’s arnt even good… Or compleet for 40$ thats a Total rip off

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I made some rough calculations comparing HoT with the only GW1 expasion (eotn) and really HoT has way more than EotN ever had.

More “quests” in form of events, more weapon and armor skins (A LOT more), more things to explore/do on the maps, even though HoT has only 4 maps, the things you can do in HoT are way more than in EotN, more new skills and abilities added in the game, more new game-wide systems and so on.

I don’t know what you are on about maybe you should be a bit more specific because EotN was a joke content-wise compared to HoT.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

EotN did not even have third axis.
40€ is not a rip off as there are no monthly fees and you will get the whole season of content for free. And you actually already got 2 seasons of content for free before.

Jeffrey.1426

Think about factions, nightfall. You got a whole new world there to explore and alot more quests and armors and so on.
And i cant consider events as a quest because you need to farm/grind them repeateble over and over to even get your masterys

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

No, its not (Maybe the story is, but thats another case).

The HoT expansion is worth the name, and if you think otherwise, you never played any other mmos before.

PS: Gw1 only had 1 expansion, that was similarly sized with HoT. Other ones were complete new Campaigns, wich is a completely different story.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Factions and Nightfall are NOT an expansions. They are games unto themselves. Eye of the North was the only expansion in GW1.

Jeffrey.1426

Ive played more mmo’s then you can think of and gw2 you cant compare to other mmo’s because They almost all are pay to win games and that whats going to happen to gw2 also

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

That’s pretty nonsense. HoT came with four maps instead of two, any any one of them was larger than the S2 maps. It came with nine elite specs, a new class, and s2 came with none of those. It came with the mastery system and gliding, and s2 didn’t. If you’re talking purely story chapters, yeah, it’s comparable to s2, but story chapters are far from all you pay for with the HoT expansion.

Also keep in mind that like with the initial purchase of GW2, we can expect them to continue updating the game for at least a year, potentially several more before the next paid expansion, and you’ll get those updates for free, as we did s1 and s2.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

I made some rough calculations comparing HoT with the only GW1 expasion (eotn) and really HoT has way more than EotN ever had.

More “quests” in form of events, more weapon and armor skins (A LOT more), more things to explore/do on the maps, even though HoT has only 4 maps, the things you can do in HoT are way more than in EotN, more new skills and abilities added in the game, more new game-wide systems and so on.

I don’t know what you are on about maybe you should be a bit more specific because EotN was a joke content-wise compared to HoT.

by rough calculations do you actually mean you pulled figures out of the air?

eotn added 41 new armour sets, thats not including all the headgear and gloves. that’s 4 themed sets unique for each profession plus a special one for warrior.

hot added 3(sets)x3(weights)x3(races. norn, human and sylvari are the same)+1 (mistward)=28

if you count male and females then eotn was even further ahead as charr and asura have unisex armour.

it added numerous skills for each profession plus all the faction related skills (norn, ebon vanguard etc)

in terms of new maps i can think of 14 just off the top of my head, not counting the long list of dungeons.

i am against all this gw1, gw2 comparison, but seriously if you’re gonna do, get it right.

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Each artist has to make the armor perfectly fit each race’s customization options and make it compatible with all the other race exclusive items, I wouldn’t count 3 races in that calculation if we’re talking about how much work they had to put in
(3 sets x 3 weights x 5 races + 1) would be 46 armor pieces + (9 specialization collection armor pieces) gives us 54 known armor pieces , then we have 9 weapon sets, for a total of 9 * 16 = 144 weapon designs, then there’s the miscellaneous weapons, so far we’ve discovered 21 according to dulfy. The GW1 weapon designs were very dull with the exception of a few rare ones and the 3 expensive sets.
Designing content for 1 race (human) made it a lot easier, if you threw roughly the same ammount of work for 1 race you’d have 9 different sets.

Like you said

i am against all this gw1, gw2 comparison, but seriously if you’re gonna do, get it right.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Like the titel say…
Where are the expansions we got in gw 1?
Its really a bummer getting 4 maps for an expansion thats completed in 3 weeks.

Would’ve been the same had they released 16 maps that were like the core game.

maddoctor.2738

No, I actually did proper calculations, unlike yours, which are uninformed and out of thin air. Please don’t try to make EotN look better than it is, the fact is it’s very little compared to HoT

Let’s talk exploration:
Map Exploration
EotN adds 4 new regions which include 13 towns/outpots, 33 landmarks, 18 dungeon entrances and 11 mission entrances for a total of 75 items to explore/find.
HoT adds the following on maps:
VB: 7 Waypoints, 26 Points of Interest, 11 Hero Challenges, 5 Vistas
AB: 7 Waypoints, 22 Points of Interest, 11 Hero Challenges, 6 Vistas
TD: 7 Waypoints, 20 Points of Interest, 11 Hero Challenges, 6 Vistas
DS: 11 Waypoints, 24 Points of Interest, 7 Hero Challenges, 7 Vistas
Total: 195, just the Points of Interest alone (92) are more than what you can find in the entire EotN.
Also, there are 15 Strongboxes to find, 2 Dive Master achievements, 23 Mastery Insights and 3 Jumping Puzzles (at least I know of 3 there might be more) for a total of 43 more things to do while exploring HoT. There are also other achievements to do but I will keep those for another point of comparison.
So the difference in exploration is staggering… HoT is much better for explorers than EotN, many more things to find and do there, although it has less zones in number.

You want to add the 18 dungeons of EotN in the list? Still HoT has way more to explore, that’s objectively proven.

Let’s talk about skills:
EotN added 150 new skills (100 profession skills and 50 pve-only skills)
Before counting skills in GW2, I must say that they work in a different way than skills in GW1. There are no “chain” skills that take different slots, but they are grouped in actual chains, this means chain skills will have to be counted twice (or more), there are also no long lasting buffs, instead we get Traits, so traits can easily count as GW1 “skills”. Because some of you might be weird I give two versions, one counts only unique buttons, the other counts all skills in the game.
Berserker: 18 / 30
Chronomancer: 9 / 23
Daredevil: 11 / 33
Dragonhunter: 14 / 26
Druid: 17 / 36 /
Reaper: 17 / 35
Scrapper: 12 / 38
Tempest: 18 / 30
Revenant: 62 / 155
Ranger pets: 4 / 12 (8 new pet skills, not F2 skills)
Total: 182 / 418
Just the Revenant alone gives more skills than the Entire EotN, but if you want only unique button presses (which is horribly wrong) HoT provides 182 skills compared to 150 EotN skills.
There are also 36 Mastery points which can change your gameplay and provide new skill-like abilities or other benefits.
So in terms of skills and character customization HoT provides loads of more options than EotN that it’s not even funny to compare the two in that regard.

Let’s talk about skins:
HoT
There are 3 weights, light/medium/heavy, 3 racial versions, Human/Sylvari/Norn, Asura and Charr for a total of 9 varieties of each armor set.

Bladed, Leystone, Guild have all the above requirements for 27 armor sets
Mistward has only heavy version for 3 new armor sets
Total armors = 30, multiply multiply by 6 for the different pieces = 180 total unique armor pieces

back pieces:
6 Scribe back skins, Bough of Melandru, Auric Backplate, Luminate’s Backplate, 3×3=9 Order back items, 4 Legendary backpiece skins, 2 achievement backpieces
Total: 24

Also, 9 Elite Spec skins

16 Auric Weapons, 16 Chak Weapons, 16 Reclaimed Weapons, 16 Plated Weapons, 16 Machined Weapons, 16 Shimmering Weapons, 16 Tenebrus Weapons, 19 Gold Fractal Weapons, 18 Elite spec weapons, 21 unique weapons
Total: 170

There are 20 Legendary Weapons + 3 upcoming new ones = 23, 3*Precursor Skins per Legendary Weapon (excluding Eternity), for a total of 69 new skins, plus the 3 new Legendary Weapons = 72 Legendary Precursors + Weapons

Although we haven’t seen it yet, it has been announced that we will get Legendary Armor, that’s 3 (weight) x 3 (racial) = 9 different sets *6 = 54 unique armor pieces. Another 54 for the Precursors for a total of 108 skins from Legendary armor

Total skins: 563 unique pieces of weapon/back/armor skins

EotN added 41*6=246 unique armor pieces
There are also 157 Unique weapons although lots of them are using old skins but I will add them to the list because I’m too lazy to count how many. Total of 403. I bet the unique gloves are less than the re-skinned weapons so it’s a good count.

tl;dr:
Exploration: HoT: 238, EotN: 98
Skills: HoT: 418, EotN: 150
Skins: HoT: 563, EotN: 403

Want more?

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

eotn added 41 new armour sets, thats not including all the headgear and gloves. that’s 4 themed sets unique for each profession plus a special one for warrior.

hot added 3(sets)x3(weights)x3(races. norn, human and sylvari are the same)+1 (mistward)=28

if you count male and females then eotn was even further ahead as charr and asura have unisex armour.

it added numerous skills for each profession plus all the faction related skills (norn, ebon vanguard etc)

in terms of new maps i can think of 14 just off the top of my head, not counting the long list of dungeons.

EotN dungeons were copy and pasted. You probably got one single, unique map once you eliminated every area that was a duplicate of another.

There’s more than 28 armor sets in HoT. You can’t simply ignore what you feel is the same otherwise I’ll go through and eliminate a lot of the EotN that have practically the same model as previous armor pieces.

You need to focus less on quantity and more on quality. Unless you’d rather Anet release 100 maps the size of drytop (GW1 size) and call that a success.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Btw the skin comparisson is unfair, most of EoTN skins had little or no particle effects, it’d be hard to compare the amount of work an artist has to put on that kind of set vs a set with particle effects for multiple races.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Just lets compare amount of contest added with HoT to other expansions from different games. It doesnt matter from what point we will look, HoT is kitten small and doesnt deserve to be called expansion. I just hope we will see more maps soon with “true ls3”. Cant imagine running like an idiot on current new maps when we take a look how the story ended. I hope legendary sword/hammer and armors are good..they better be.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

maddoctor.2738

Just lets compare amount of contest added with HoT to other expansions from different games.

I did compare an expansion from a different game, EotN from Guild Wars 1, with HoT, and HoT has way more to offer. Which game do you have in mind that brought more than HoT did? And I’m talking about actual content, not just the number of maps.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

No, I actually did proper calculations, unlike yours, which are uninformed and out of thin air. Please don’t try to make EotN look better than it is, the fact is it’s very little compared to HoT

Let’s talk exploration:
Map Exploration
EotN adds 4 new regions which include 13 towns/outpots, 33 landmarks, 18 dungeon entrances and 11 mission entrances for a total of 75 items to explore/find.
Total: 195, just the Points of Interest alone (92) are more than what you can find in the entire EotN.
Also, there are 15 Strongboxes to find, 2 Dive Master achievements, 23 Mastery Insights and 3 Jumping Puzzles (at least I know of 3 there might be more) for a total of 43 more things to do while exploring HoT. There are also other achievements to do but I will keep those for another point of comparison.
So the difference in exploration is staggering… HoT is much better for explorers than EotN, many more things to find and do there, although it has less zones in number.

You want to add the 18 dungeons of EotN in the list? Still HoT has way more to explore, that’s objectively proven.

Let’s talk about skills:
Before counting skills in GW2, I must say that they work in a different way than skills in GW1. There are no “chain” skills that take different slots, but they are grouped in actual chains, this means chain skills will have to be counted twice (or more), there are also no long lasting buffs, instead we get Traits, so traits can easily count as GW1 “skills”. Because some of you might be weird I give two versions, one counts only unique buttons, the other counts all skills in the game.
Just the Revenant alone gives more skills than the Entire EotN, but if you want only unique button presses (which is horribly wrong) HoT provides 182 skills compared to 150 EotN skills.
There are also 36 Mastery points which can change your gameplay and provide new skill-like abilities or other benefits.
So in terms of skills and character customization HoT provides loads of more options than EotN that it’s not even funny to compare the two in that regard.

Let’s talk about skins:
HoT
There are 3 weights, light/medium/heavy, 3 racial versions, Human/Sylvari/Norn, Asura and Charr for a total of 9 varieties of each armor set.

Total armors = 30, multiply multiply by 6 for the different pieces = 180 total unique armor pieces

back pieces:
6 Scribe back skins, Bough of Melandru, Auric Backplate, Luminate’s Backplate, 3×3=9 Order back items, 4 Legendary backpiece skins, 2 achievement backpieces

Also, 9 Elite Spec skins

16 Auric Weapons, 16 Chak Weapons, 16 Reclaimed Weapons, 16 Plated Weapons, 16 Machined Weapons, 16 Shimmering Weapons, 16 Tenebrus Weapons, 19 Gold Fractal Weapons, 18 Elite spec weapons, 21 unique weapons

There are 20 Legendary Weapons + 3 upcoming new ones = 23, 3*Precursor Skins per Legendary Weapon (excluding Eternity), for a total of 69 new skins, plus the 3 new Legendary Weapons = 72 Legendary Precursors + Weapons

Although we haven’t seen it yet, it has been announced that we will get Legendary Armor, that’s 3 (weight) x 3 (racial) = 9 different sets *6 = 54 unique armor pieces. Another 54 for the Precursors for a total of 108 skins from Legendary armor

There are also 157 Unique weapons although lots of them are using old skins but I will add them to the list because I’m too lazy to count how many. Total of 403. I bet the unique gloves are less than the re-skinned weapons so it’s a good count.

tl;dr:

Want more?

I stopped reading when you counted dungeon entrances as something to find, and managed to not mention anywhere ‘hard mode’.

Counting POI’s and WP’s isn’t comparing like with like. I could care less about the number of skins.

EoTN added repeatable group content such as dungeons, pve skills which needed titles to be worked on and generally a lot more fun stuff to do in your own time. As well as having some good mob mechanics especially in hard mode dungeons.

H0T added 4 maps which are a pain to get around, contested WPs which means running across half the map just to miss by a milllmeter a ledge you had to glide to to have to repeat yet again, and whole sections of the map you can only reach if you happen to be on a map that completes the meta event.

Not to mention Guild Wars was much more focused on pvp and all those skills had to be balanced against the pvp. A lot of skills had pve and pvp versions, so count those as at least double too.

I don’t think it’s much use comparing the two games- one was a great game with a lot of competitive pvp for a number of years, the other just shares the name and is built for a mainly pve player base looking for lots of shinies.

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

snip

i somehow managed to get through that post.
You are quantifying things that are irrelevant. The fact that a map has a little square that gives me some XP when i happen to walk past does not make it full of content. you are taking every single aspect of a game and adding them up and saying ‘Big number wow!’

i am not trying to make eotn look better than it is, it was a very good expansion. i also love gw2, but they are two different games and i am bored of people whining about people whining about other people whining about gw1 v gw2, qq, blah blah, wah wah, and then putting up ridiculous sums to ‘prove’ their point… so i am having a whine myself.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Ive played more mmo’s then you can think of and gw2 you cant compare to other mmo’s because They almost all are pay to win games and that whats going to happen to gw2 also

I dunno. I’ve been “MMOing” for over 15 years. I can think of a lot of MMOs. Possibly some you haven’t heard of. Most of your information is inaccurate, and your conclusions are worse.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

maddoctor.2738

I stopped reading when you counted dungeon entrances as something to find, and managed to not mention anywhere ‘hard mode’.

In EotN you had to actually go and find those dungeon entrances, you couldn’t magically waypoint to them. Why shouldn’t I mention them in the section about exploration?

Counting POI’s and WP’s isn’t comparing like with like.

It actually is, it shows how much more packed full HoT is with things to find than EotN. EotN had places to visit (even shown on the map) and had outposts too. That’s the closest to WPs and POIs, they also had very similar functionality.

I could care less about the number of skins.

Others do, the “EotN added 41 armor sets” is something we see all the time.

EoTN added repeatable group content such as dungeons, pve skills which needed titles to be worked on and generally a lot more fun stuff to do in your own time. As well as having some good mob mechanics especially in hard mode dungeons.

Titles to be worked on you mean like the masteries? Last I checked all 4 zones in HoT have repeatable group content, unless you can do the Gerent event solo, which I doubt. And about the repeatabe content of EotN, do you seriously think that all 18 of them were popular? There were like 3 or 4 being run and the rest were deserted.

H0T added 4 maps which are a pain to get around, contested WPs which means running across half the map just to miss by a milllmeter a ledge you had to glide to to have to repeat yet again, and whole sections of the map you can only reach if you happen to be on a map that completes the meta event.

That’s wrong. To get anywhere you want in HoT you only have to follow the event chains, if it hasn’t progressed yet, and if it’s not time for the big map wide event, when lots of places close (particularly in Auric Basin), knowing how the maps work makes moving around much much easier.

Not to mention Guild Wars was much more focused on pvp and all those skills had to be balanced against the pvp. A lot of skills had pve and pvp versions, so count those as at least double too.

Guild Wars was focused in PVP but EotN wasn’t. OK I will add the 9 PVP skills to the list, still doesn’t make EotN skills impressive. 418 vs 159, notice how small the difference with the PVP versions is?

I don’t think it’s much use comparing the two games- one was a great game with a lot of competitive pvp for a number of years, the other just shares the name and is built for a mainly pve player base looking for lots of shinies.

Yet by the time of EotN, GW was more of a PVE-focused game, no big tournaments happened since then, and the Beyond series did very little for PVP. Maybe it was a big shift for Anet to go from a PVP-heavy game, to a more PVE focused one, a choice that led us to GW2.

maddoctor.2738

i somehow managed to get through that post.

I don’t think you did.

You are quantifying things that are irrelevant.

No I’m counting things that are similar. Places of Interest and Waypoints are similar to Landmarks and Outposts… What exactly is irrelevant?

and then putting up ridiculous sums to ‘prove’ their point… so i am having a whine myself.

Only my sum wasn’t ridiculous. I compared very similar things to reach some form of conclusion.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Let’s talk exploration:
Map Exploration

Let’s talk about skills:

Let’s talk about skins:
HoT

back pieces:

Also, 9 Elite Spec skins

tl;dr:

Want more?

THANK YOU!

This won’t change anything though. There are people that begrudgingly play GW2 because they dislike every other MMO right now and they already have their minds made up that HoT is worse than any other MMO’s expansion ever. Both in terms of content and size. Nothing will convince them differently. If you try, you are a white-knight fanboy that thinks Anet can do no wrong.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So, for everyone comparing EotN zones to the HoT zones. GW1 zones are tiny. Most of the zones in base Tyria comprise two to four GW1 zones. How many GW1 zones do the SIX HoT zones cover. Technically seven when the Raid zone gets added. Numbers don’t properly reflect content, area coverage does a better job.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Starwolf.4891

Starwolf.4891

If GW1 really was as terrible as some people make it seem to be do you guys really think we’d be playing GW2?

Yeah it’s hard to compare EoTN and HoT but also because of more than just sheer content.
HoT took 3 times longer to release than EoTN and considering the expansions were released 8 years apart I bet Arenanet had 3x the resources and 3x the employees working on in, not to mention hopefully 3x the experience. EoTN was also 25% cheaper (though I guess technically the same price considering the inflation).

I think the bottom line is some people who played GW1 or even GW2 simply expected more from HoT and I see where they’re coming from.

maddoctor.2738

I think the bottom line is some people who played GW1 or even GW2 simply expected more from HoT and I see where they’re coming from.

Then they should say that and not “HoT is small”, “HoT doesn’t have as much content as other game expansions” or things like that. Others are comparing HoT with expansions of other games if their problem is that they expected more from HoT they should simply state it.