HoT on current account vs new account

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Okami.2768

Okami.2768

Q:

I’m coming back to GW2 and would like to pre-order HoT, but I will probably be making a new character was well.

Should I just purchase HoT on a new account or on my existing account? Is there any reason to use my current account (head start account so I guess there’s birthday gifts if that matters. Forgot what other benefits a head start account has) even though I won’t be playing the level 80 Ranger on the account?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I suppose it depends on how much progress you have on your existing account. You can upgrade your existing account, or create a new account with your HoT purchase. Up to you.

Good luck.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Well, if you attach it to your current account and you pre-purchase before the end of July, you’ll get an additional character slot. This additional character slot is in addition to any added by the package you choose.

You’ll have to level up a character to level 80 before you’ll be able to easily explore the new areas that HoT adds. You may also need to be level 80 before you can apply an elite specialization, which would lock out another HoT feature until you had another level 80 character.

And don’t forget the limitation on new accounts as it pertains to gold and the NPE.

Okami.2768

Thank you guys for the quick responses!

Well, if you attach it to your current account and you pre-purchase before the end of July, you’ll get an additional character slot. This additional character slot is in addition to any added by the package you choose.

You’ll have to level up a character to level 80 before you’ll be able to easily explore the new areas that HoT adds. You may also need to be level 80 before you can apply an elite specialization, which would lock out another HoT feature until you had another level 80 character.

And don’t forget the limitation on new accounts as it pertains to gold and the NPE.

I’m fine with leveling up a new character to 80 as that is what I am planning to do anyway. I’m also fine with the limitation on gold.

The reason why I’ve considered buying HoT on a new account is to have the extra 5 character slots, and this way I can also have friends who might want to try this game be able to try Guild Wars 2 on my current account while playing with them on my new account (of course unless this is against ToS).

I’m just worried about any benefits to having more max level characters on an account (any stat gains or advantages?) and what I might miss out on if I’m not playing a head start account.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Thank you guys for the quick responses!

I’m fine with leveling up a new character to 80 as that is what I am planning to do anyway. I’m also fine with the limitation on gold.

The reason why I’ve considered buying HoT on a new account is to have the extra 5 character slots, and this way I can also have friends who might want to try this game be able to try Guild Wars 2 on my current account while playing with them on my new account (of course unless this is against ToS).

I’m just worried about any benefits to having more max level characters on an account (any stat gains or advantages?) and what I might miss out on if I’m not playing a head start account.

Letting your friends try GW2 out on the account would be a violation of the TOS and is likely a bannable offense.

Okami.2768

Letting your friends try GW2 out on the account would be a violation of the TOS and is likely a bannable offense.

Thank you for informing me.

In that case, my only concern would be what I might lose out on by simply using a head start account as an alt, and what you said earlier about linking accounts. I’m aware that you can link an original Guild Wars account to your Guild Wars 2 account, but are you saying that you can connect two Guild Wars 2 accounts with each other?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can upgrade an account (from Standard to Deluxe or from core to expansion), but you can not link two separate Guild Wars 2 accounts, no matter what kind they are (core or upgraded expansion).

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

What you’d lose if you started over:

- Achievement points, including any reward skins you might have unlocked (radiant/ hellfire armor and zenith weapons) and any progress towards any title (dungeon master, for example)
- Karma.
- Any skin you might have unlocked in the past. Be specially careful about this one, as you might lose skins that were available as a one time only deal, and other skins that you might have gotten as PvP skins from achievement rewards before the wardrobe patch that are now incredible expensive to get. For example, I got the Wings of Dwayna longbow skin unlocked on one of the achievement chests (I plan on using it on my guardian when he becomes a dragonhunter), getting it now would cost me about 500g.
- Dungeon tokens.
- PvP levels and advancement into any reward track, plus the unlocking of the tracks for the dungeons you’ve done in story mode.
- Anything you might have unlocked in the HoM from GW1 if you have anything. As far as I know there’s no way to unlink a GW2 account from GW1 to link another one.
- Any upgrade you’ve made to your account: extra character slots, bag slots, bank slots and so on.
- Any item that is soulbound or accountbound.
- Any bouns to magic/gold find on your account

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What else you’ll lose besides above.

The original account will be stuck in Guild Wars 2 vanilla. That account won’t be able to take any of the chars to the new areas to play alongside friends or guildies, craft the new Legendary weapons, do any Masteries including the ones in the vanilla area such as the fractal mastery. None of the chars will have the elite specializations either.

With the next expansion, unless you buy both for this account it will fall even further behind and unless you want to redo the content and level Masteries a second time on the old account, it will never be able to catch up.

So, it depends if your basically willing to abandon your old account and start completely over.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.