I don't need a refund nor a character slot.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Evaara.6410

Evaara.6410

Lemme get this straight. My friend bought me the game during the $10 sale back in January 25, 2015. According to the latest blog-post accounts bought during this period are included in the auto-refund once I buy pre-purchase and HoT comes through.

I DON’T WANT A REFUND (and if it’s my friend who’ll be refunded for buying me the game then I’d rather pay him the refund and tell him I don’t want ArenaNet to give back the $10 spent purchasing the game.)

You might think I’m crazy but I actually do have a very good reason for this.
I’m a new player of GW2. Had the game since January, had a blast, and basically enjoyed the game a lot. I’ll be buying the HoT expansion soon and honestly I can’t have it in my conscience to have the company who made the happy experience that is GW2 possible give their money back (to me or my friend) because of a problem that DID NOT AFFECT ME.

Look, I understand the plight of the veterans and of those who bought the game days or weeks prior to the pre-purchase announcement. I have no qualms against those sentiments. I sympathize for the vets and I honestly think that those who just bought the game thinking the expansion needed the core game should be refunded. But me? I didn’t know there was going to be an expansion. My friend bought me the game and it literally saved me from depression back then just because of how awesome it was. I didn’t know there was going to be an expansion, I didn’t know about Heart of Thorns. I played the game, had fun, and I honestly feel I got more than $10 worth of enjoyment from it.

This is why I don’t need a refund nor a character slot once I do buy HoT. I had fun, I made friends, and frankly GW2 became my support at times when real life was really sucky for me. I don’t want ArenaNet to refund the cost for my account because I feel like the money was well spent and should go to the company that made the game.

These are just my own sentiments. As I’ve said, I’m not undermining the situation of the vets and the other recent core game purchasers. These are just my feelings for MY situation and I’m sharing this because I think there are others like me. People who just bought the game but actually feel like they got what they paid for and would like to support ArenaNet by buying HoT and not having their core game refunded. Or maybe I’m alone in this so… welp… kittens then.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They’re only available for purchases between the initial HoT announcement and the release of the prepurchase, because that announcement stated, without any room for interpretation, that you had to, note, had to, not could; purchase the base game beforehand to play the expansion on its release. Heck that was even in the tag-line of the last sale they held, the one in which the game was purchased for you. Sorry but in what world is false advertising not a totally justifiable reason for a refund?

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Evaara.6410

They’re only available for purchases between the initial HoT announcement and the release of the prepurchase, because that announcement stated, without any room for interpretation, that you would need to purchase the base game to play the expansion, heck that was even in the tag-line of the last sale they held, the one in which the game was purchased for you.

From the blog-post: "For all players who purchased the Guild Wars 2 core game from our website and registered it between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015 in anticipation of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store any time through July 31, 2015. "

Got the game January 25, 2015. Maybe I’m just being stupid but the way I understand it my account falls under this clause. I’ll be buying pre-purchase as I want to participate in beta stuff.

Welp… In any case. Thanks for the reply. Made me do a double-take to check if I had to hide mah head in a paper-bag from the embarrassment of making a misinformed post. So far I might still be able to show my face. Lol.

Posted by: evildeadjunky.1576

evildeadjunky.1576

Umm. The refund is not an auto-refund. Its up to you if you want it

and just to point it out in your post

we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store any time through July 31, 2015.

(edited by evildeadjunky.1576)

Evaara.6410

They’re only available for purchases between the initial HoT announcement and the release of the prepurchase, because that announcement stated, without any room for interpretation, that you had to, note, had to, not could; purchase the base game beforehand to play the expansion on its release. Heck that was even in the tag-line of the last sale they held, the one in which the game was purchased for you. Sorry but in what world is false advertising not a totally justifiable reason for a refund?

As I’ve said. I totally agree with the sentiments of those who bought the game thinking they needed the core game for HoT. THEY should have a refund. Not me though. I didn’t know about HoT back then. The people you mentioned ARE justified to have a refund, but I don’t think this applies to me. Please read my whole post again. I think I made it pretty clear that this were my sentiments on MY particular situation, not on those who actually do need the refund.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

i appreciate Evaara’s post myself, it’s why vets are so important to me, we been together so long, we are like our own family / community that have been there for each other through the years too.

while anet is figuring out how to get new players, i’m trying to think of how to bring the old ones back

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store any time through July 31, 2015.

That’s the thing. The OP wants to pre-purchase HoT so that they can participate in more beta events. But the OP obviously feels they’ve gotten $10 worth of enjoyment out of it and don’t mind not getting refunded that money.

Evaara, what you could do is when the refund comes through is buy $10 worth of gems.

Or gamble that there won’t be any beta events in July and not pre-purchase until August 1.

evildeadjunky.1576

Or they just buy HoT and but the serial code on theor account. That’s all you do.

Evaara.6410

So basically I’ll be paying $40 instead (in essence) of $50 once I pre-purchase? Because yes, I will be buying before July 31. I’m kinda interested in the betas.

Welp… I guess I should just be happy with it. I just wanted to say what’s on my mind after all. I just wanted to express that I was grateful and that since I’m not one of the people affected by the whole pre-purchase fiasco I don’t think a refund should also apply to me or to anyone who might have the same exact situation (bought the game not knowing about HoT and had their money’s worth of fun but still within the refund period).

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Just buy 10$ in gems.

evildeadjunky.1576

So basically I’ll be paying $40 instead (in essence) of $50 once I pre-purchase? Because yes, I will be buying before July 31. I’m kinda interested in the betas.

Welp… I guess I should just be happy with it. I just wanted to say what’s on my mind after all. I just wanted to express that I was grateful and that since I’m not one of the people affected by the whole pre-purchase fiasco I don’t think a refund should also apply to me or to anyone who might have the same exact situation (bought the game not knowing about HoT and had their money’s worth of fun but still within the refund period).

No. You will be paying $50. You already own Gw2. You will be paying $50 for the expansion.

Evaara.6410

To people who suggested I just buy $10 worth of gems… Thanks for the suggestion! Guess I’ll do just that. Lol.

(edited by Evaara.6410)

Evaara.6410

That’s the thing. The OP wants to pre-purchase HoT so that they can participate in more beta events. But the OP obviously feels they’ve gotten $10 worth of enjoyment out of it and don’t mind not getting refunded that money.

Evaara, what you could do is when the refund comes through is buy $10 worth of gems.

Or gamble that there won’t be any beta events in July and not pre-purchase until August 1.

Thanks for both suggestions! I might be going with the gems since I’m also considering my budget plan for this month. I might not have the extra money on August (you know how life is) and I might miss beta events like you said.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Setting aside the technicalities, it’s a noble sentiment, and it’s great to have you as part of the Guild Wars 2 community.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

OP, if it’s really that big a deal for you, buy HoT from Amazon (or any of the other retail partners). As I understand it, the refund won’t apply to those games, but it’s still considered a pre-purchase.

And doesn’t the pre-purchase period end on July 31st? So waiting until August will only get you a normal edition without any extras, if you can even buy it until launch?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

If you buy from a retailer, please, make sure it is pre-purchase and not a pre-order. The latter does not come with the coveted access to betas.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

But Anet won’t get the full price when buying from a retailer. I believe the 10$ → Gems solution is the best to solve the problem.