Im lost what is the concept of a revenant?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

And what is the playstyle? I have watched vids and it kind of reminds me of a heavy meleed ninja depending on what weapons your using, I love how they are being original I do not think I ever seen a class like this but this is a strange concept to me. As far as the magic does it seemed very subtle, but the melee looks really good.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

They are meant to be heavy armored front line support, channelers of great legends of the past. They use the “Mists” as font of their power, not necessarly magic, but similar to it.

I personally like to see it as those spiritual hard trained monks, that have great spiritual connection, alongside with heavy phisical preparation.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

lore concept is essentially “dervish from GW1 but with spirits from the mists instead of human gods” (in much the same way that ritualists in GW1 became mesmers in GW2)

they channel spirits to gain that spirit’s abilities and wisdom, the spirit is essentially bound to them as long as they channel.

for example, channeling Shiro Tagachi results in him teaching you how to use the Jade Wind and Impossible odds, channeling Jalis lets you do things like the Rite Of The Great Dwarf. (this extends to out of combat as well, Mallyx resents being channeled, Jalis is thrilled to be fighting again, and they actually talk to you out of combat)

as far as mechanics goes, you are similar to an engineer or elementalist,you get less customization in exchange for more in-battle options,your legend dictates what your utilities, heal, and elite are, your weapon dictates your weaponskills

in general, Jalis is Defensive (including easy access to taunt, making you a pseudo-tank), Shiro is Offensive and Evasive (spammable shadowsteps, a backwards dodge rollthat recharges your dodge, and delicious DELICIOUS impossible odds, dat quickness and superspeed), Mallyx is about Conditions (both nullifying conditions on you and applying conditions to enemies),Ventari is Heal Support (essentially a dedicated healer and cleanser), and Glint is Boon Support (if you are willing to become an auto attack bot, you can give permanent swiftness, fury, boon extension, and 5-8 stacks of might to anyone near you)

Weapons-wise, VERY generally: Hammer is ranged and fairly balanced but tends towards defensive, MH Sword is offensive, OH sword is defensive and control, MHmace is for conditions, OH axe is offensive and control, Staff is support, and Shield is Defensive and support

BW2 is possibly the most fun I’ve had for a LONG time, if you’re tempted by it, I suggest you try it,I’ve already prepared to make it my main next month :P

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

(in much the same way that ritualists in GW1 became mesmers in GW2)

I disaggre on that part – gw1 rits became gw2 engies :P
[turrets are new spirits :P]

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Calcifire.1864

don’t be silly

spirits were useful

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

In fact the thought process behind GW1 ritualists was: ‘we want the engineer playstyle but within the GW1 world’.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Wait they actually talk to you out of combat??
So a Sylvari Rev is going to have quite a few voices in their head then
Interesting naming possibilities there

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Calcifire.1864

Wait they actually talk to you out of combat??
So a Sylvari Rev is going to have quite a few voices in their head then
Interesting naming possibilities there

it would be a nice little easter egg if glint or ventari argued with mordremoth :P

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Shiro would argue with everyone. Even himself.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Ryou.2398

Thanks for the info but I am still fairly sure the playstyle looks more like a heavy armored ninja in your face style of play with more defensive options.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Thanks for the info but I am still fairly sure the playstyle looks more like a heavy armored ninja in your face style of play with more defensive options.

It highly depends on the legends and weapons you choose. The ‘heavy armored ninja’ thing only applies when you use Shiro as your legend and use sword/sword as your weapons.

Calcifire.1864

the playstyles are INCREDIBLY different to each other, there really is no “revenant” playstyle, it all comes down to legend choice and weapon choice, it’s like comparing a shatter mesmer to a phantasm mesmer to a chronomancer, or a condi necro to a minion master to a reaper

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

And what is the playstyle? I have watched vids and it kind of reminds me of a heavy meleed ninja depending on what weapons your using, I love how they are being original I do not think I ever seen a class like this but this is a strange concept to me. As far as the magic does it seemed very subtle, but the melee looks really good.

Revenants aren’t anything new to RPGs… think of them as a mystical class of warriors. Look a what they can do. They:
-Commune with the died
-Channel energy
-Rift Magic
-Spiritual Attunement
-Mystical Cleansing

They fit in roles that range from Dreadnaught to Crusader to Mystic to Monk. Lore wise, they seem in incorporate all the GW1 expansion roles (Paragon, Dervish, Assassin, and Ritualist), with a heavier emphasis on Ritualist and Dervish.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

The concept is : Guardian 2.0.
(just like gandalf the grey-“guardian” dies and becomes gandalf the white – “guardian 2.0.”)

Posted by: Ellye.9123

Ellye.9123

I miss Ritualist. By far my favorite class in GW1, it felt really unique and interesting.

I don’t think it “became” any class in GW2.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

don’t be silly

spirits were useful

Ritualist was one of my favorite GW1 classes but lets be realistic here, spirits really weren’t very useful until they added Summon Spirits and axed the casting times on them.

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Revenants aren’t anything new to RPGs… think of them as a mystical class of warriors. Look a what they can do. They:
-Commune with the died
-Channel energy
-Rift Magic
-Spiritual Attunement
-Mystical Cleansing

They fit in roles that range from Dreadnaught to Crusader to Mystic to Monk. Lore wise, they seem in incorporate all the GW1 expansion roles (Paragon, Dervish, Assassin, and Ritualist), with a heavier emphasis on Ritualist and Dervish.

Magus

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Ryou.2398

Mystic warriors to me is something along the lines of battle mage, the only real magic I saw was chains and teleporting.