Is Heart of Thorns Worth it?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Scaar.3059

Scaar.3059

This is kind of my first MMO, I’ve been playing for a few days and I just reached level 20. I’m enjoying the game quite a bit, I just didn’t know if the expansion was worth it or not? I play alone, none of my friends play on PC, so I wasn’t sure if this expansion would even be worth the money. Thanks for the help!

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

You’ll get answers on this saying no, you’ll get a few saying yes.
I’d say yes but.. well… everyone’s taste differs.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

It’s about $25 for a limited time. So, if you think you’re going to spend a significant amount of time playing this game and that amount of money is in the budget, then why not? If you decide later that you want to purchase it, you’ll either have to pay full price or wait a few more months for it to go on sale again (it seems to go on sale just prior to the release of each new living story update).

Now whether or not you’ll like what HoT has to offer? You’re going to get a range of responses on that. There are players like myself who much prefer HoT content to core Tyria, and players who couldn’t disagree more and feel that HoT ruined what they loved about the original game. Nobody is going to be able to tell you which type of player you are at this point, so you’ll just have to take your chances if you decide to purchase.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you enjoy playing GW2 and want to continue doing so a lot, I’d definitely get the expac. I believe there is a sale starting on the 8th, if I remember right? It’s on sale now.

If you don’t think you’ll play tons of GW2, the core game has more than enough for you to do.

Scaar.3059

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. The sale is what really made me start to think, my local Gamestop has one physical copy for $30 as well. As long as there is a lot to do then I think it would be worth it. I wasn’t sure if it was a quick play through or added a significant amount of extra hours.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. The sale is what really made me start to think, my local Gamestop has one physical copy for $30 as well. As long as there is a lot to do then I think it would be worth it. I wasn’t sure if it was a quick play through or added a significant amount of extra hours.

The personal story bit of the expac is short, but it comes with so much else, and access to all the new living story stuff that I wouldn’t want to be a regular GW2 player and not have it. Think of it like any other game’s expac, not that big, but if you play regularly you want the expac. It makes core game stuff better plus adds lots of new content.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If you are only level 20 you have a lot still to do in the core content. I would wait until the next expansion to buy as it will include HoT.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actual opinions from actual players:

“HoT is fantastic”
“HoT is boring”
“HoT saved GW2”
“HoT ruined GW2”
“HoT is worth the $50”
“HoT isn’t worth the download time”

Personally, it’s been well worth the cost for me (although not as great compared to the original GW2 as that was at launch compared to GW1). On the strength of my experience so far, I’m willing to pre-order the next expansion, too.

That said, ANet made some strange choices, some preventable mistakes, and tarnished what could have been an awesome first expansion. So I can understand why some people left to see what the competition is like.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

well with what you get today by buying id say yes deff its well worth the 25 bucks

Scaar.3059

I’ve been looking up on it and from everything that it seems to add it feels like it will be worth it. I figure I have 100+ hours left easily on the base game, as long as I don’t want to go to a new character. I will probably wait for another sale or maybe find a cheap physical copy somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Since it’s your first mmo then yes it’s worth it.Find a guild with good people to run dungeons-fractas,raid,do events,lvl up all professions and you will have a great time.Even if u play solo you will find things to do.Most people who say its not worth it are people who play for years mmos and cant find something new to do.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

When it is on sale yes.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I’ve had it since day 1 on my primary account and not a single regret. I just recently (month ago) upgraded my alt account to HoT. Most people somehow or another find a way to waste at least 25.00 a month, if you think you might like HoT, I wouldn’t pass up the sale.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I just want to add that just because none of your real life friends play the game, doesn’t mean you can’t play the game with people. I’ve made some pretty close friends from gaming, some of which I’ve later met in real life. I’ve gone and met 12 of my guildies from this game, even though they’re on the other side of the world.

Saying I don’t have real life friends who play isn’t a good reason to solo everything, unless you only like to solo.

There’s a huge difference between joining a casual social guild and a harder core guild that has expectations. If you’re soloing anyway, you might consider finding a guild that just runs content without the baggage associated with it. Those are the only kinds of guilds I join in games, and it’s always worked for me.

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

For what it offers, it’s incredibly cheap even at full price.
Thing to keep in mind, those who complain about 20 euro price for game with so much content as GW2 has, probably won’t complain spending same amount for the price of couple of beers, or movie tickets, or 2-3 stops at McDonalds, or few packs of cigarettes or… you get the point.

Also it’s one time purchase and no subscription fee.

Scaar.3059

I just want to add that just because none of your real life friends play the game, doesn’t mean you can’t play the game with people. I’ve made some pretty close friends from gaming, some of which I’ve later met in real life. I’ve gone and met 12 of my guildies from this game, even though they’re on the other side of the world.

Saying I don’t have real life friends who play isn’t a good reason to solo everything, unless you only like to solo.

There’s a huge difference between joining a casual social guild and a harder core guild that has expectations. If you’re soloing anyway, you might consider finding a guild that just runs content without the baggage associated with it. Those are the only kinds of guilds I join in games, and it’s always worked for me.

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know there really were any guilds that aren’t the highly committed type.

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

If you don’t already own the base game and HoT is still on sale for half price, then HoT is worth the money if for nothing else other than access to the Trading Post. Selling things to other players makes a massive amount of gold compared to only being able to sell to vendors.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Not worth it to me but other opinions are available.
For me, gliding is the single best thing about it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you don’t already own the base game and HoT is still on sale for half price, then HoT is worth the money if for nothing else other than access to the Trading Post. Selling things to other players makes a massive amount of gold compared to only being able to sell to vendors.

One must have a paid account to post on the forums. Just an FYI.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

If you just bought and started GW2 and ask yourself if HoT is worth buying: you should have it already on your account, because since the release of HoT more than one year ago, HoT is included in the base game already. Since its release, HoT “is” GW2 – if you buy HoT in the first place, you get the base game just with it at no additional cost.

If you picked an obsolete GW2 offer without HoT, you made a bad deal.
If you don’t care about that, buy HoT: at the current discount price 50% off it is a reasonable price as addon to the base game.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It was totally worth paying at full price for me. I’ve gotten so much out of it for how much was spent.

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

If you like PvE then maybe. If you are just in it for WvW or PvP then no.

Vayne.8563

If you like PvE then maybe. If you are just in it for WvW or PvP then no.

I don’t know. A lot of PvPers and WvWers bought HoT just for access to elite specs. Playing those formats without HoT makes it a lot harder to find competitive builds.

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

I disliked gw2 base game made 2 level 80s in first 3 months of playing 2012-13 i quit came back made it 1 more month quit came back got another month then quit 2 1/2 years 2nd quarter 2014- 4th quarter 2016 came back bought HoT havn’t quit since so it was worth it to me worth it to anet to since i buy monthly gems.

Note I’m PvE open world only player so game very limited probably why dislike the base game?
Also I’m a loner like you so you probably like HoT harder than cursed shore I really like how the challenge upped I felt normal open world content in base gw2 was way to easy I never struggled. I struggled in HoT until i ditched berserkers and had re-do a few my builds (remember though alot had changed in the 2 1/2 yrs I was MIA)

(edited by TEKnowledgy.1760)

Posted by: Oneira.7691

Oneira.7691

I’ll give you my experience of HOT. Don’t even try to solo it. It’s a massive death trap with complicated and non-intuitive ways of traveling from point A to point B that will frustrate you to no end unless you make full use of all the internet resources you want to waste your time on.

Solo? Haha! Snipers will kill you in seconds. Other 10-member mobs with kill you in the same time.

And you must spend a lot of time learning the skills to get around, and you will die, die, die, die and die.

So if you have a regular group, fine. A guild that helps you out lots. If you don’t, be prepared for extreme frustration unless you have great gaming peripherals.

I have spent literally hours trying to do just one thing, only to fail over and over again. Arena seems to think that just dying for your mistakes is the way to go.

I wanted to get the full set of mistward gear for my rev. What. a. mistake. It nearly ruined the game for me rather than just crafting exotic draconic armor and being done with it, then going after some ascended gear. I felt like Arena wanted to punish me for the slightest mistake at almost every turn.

(edited by Oneira.7691)

Ayrilana.1396

Snipers only kill you if you’re not paying attention and stand in their AoE/line field.

Learning what skills? The ones from masteries are gotten fairly quickly as they’re the firs one in ea h of their mastery lines. Weapon skills and abilities are something I’d think players would know but of course many are still stuck with the mentality of all you have to do is autoattack to win.

Enemies all have mechanics which it helps to learn. Smokescales often give players trouble but they’re so incredibly easy to counter, for example. Like Orr, players will have difficulty if they try to simply run through mobs without being careful to minimize aggro. Quite often it’s easier to just kill things. Case in point, the noxious pod farm area on the west side of the map.

All of the events that are not labeled as “group event” can be done solo. Even then, some group events can be done solo too. That said, the maps are meta-centric so groups are usually better and more fun. Progress can still be done solo as I farmed up large amounts of ley-line crystals fairly quickly by myself.

What was that one thing that you were spending hours trying to do but failing? Dying is a result of making mistakes but that’s how you learn how to not repeat them. HoT is a step above core Tyria where you cannot spam #1 to win although that’s possible in some cases and if you’re in a large enough group.

I looked at mistward gear and all things that are not tied to group meta events (e.g. Modniir, Gerent) can be done solo. What piece(s) were you struggling with?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

TEKnowledgy.1760

I’ll give you my experience of HOT. Don’t even try to solo it. It’s a massive death trap with complicated and non-intuitive ways of traveling from point A to point B that will frustrate you to no end unless you make full use of all the internet resources you want to waste your time on.

Solo? Haha! Snipers will kill you in seconds. Other 10-member mobs with kill you in the same time.

And you must spend a lot of time learning the skills to get around, and you will die, die, die, die and die

You must not be very good at HoT not being insulting with that.
Welcome come watch me play Be more than happy to debunk your theory here. Which char would like me to play solo? scrapper ranger or revenant? Which map would you like to watch me on verdant brink auric basin tangled depths dragon stand?
I’ve got dragon stand completed on all 3 did it solo other than metas.
Only thing I need on rest are hero points now them can’t be soloed bout only thing you can’t other then metas.

Snipers are weak learn to dodge and stay out of there lines they easy as a risen mob.

I take on pocket raptors 2 groups at a time to build my charges…..
Not trying sound like big shot but it’s the truth.
I have unlocked all of mistward armor solo (except metas ofcoarse)
But guess some people used to having hands held in groups and don’t learn how to survive and or play alone. Maybe you trying use berserker set in hot?
I might could now after learnt how the mobs fight but when first started HoT notta I died left right up and down lol. But I didn’t give up just spent some gold made something tougher re-done my build honestly came out even better in the end.

If OP has soloed all of gw2 base (all that he can) HoT will be something he’s looking for. If he is like myself found base gw2 easy then yea he’d love HoT even as solo player that’s just the truth about it.

Oneira.7691

Snipers only kill you if you’re not paying attention and stand in their AoE/line field.

Learning what skills? The ones from masteries are gotten fairly quickly as they’re the firs one in ea h of their mastery lines. Weapon skills and abilities are something I’d think players would know but of course many are still stuck with the mentality of all you have to do is autoattack to win.

Enemies all have mechanics which it helps to learn. Smokescales often give players trouble but they’re so incredibly easy to counter, for example. Like Orr, players will have difficulty if they try to simply run through mobs without being careful to minimize aggro. Quite often it’s easier to just kill things. Case in point, the noxious pod farm area on the west side of the map.

All of the events that are not labeled as “group event” can be done solo. Even then, some group events can be done solo too. That said, the maps are meta-centric so groups are usually better and more fun. Progress can still be done solo as I farmed up large amounts of ley-line crystals fairly quickly by myself.

What was that one thing that you were spending hours trying to do but failing? Dying is a result of making mistakes but that’s how you learn how to not repeat them. HoT is a step above core Tyria where you cannot spam #1 to win although that’s possible in some cases and if you’re in a large enough group.

I looked at mistward gear and all things that are not tied to group meta events (e.g. Modniir, Gerent) can be done solo. What piece(s) were you struggling with?

I’m so glad that everything for you turned out so easy and effortless. Since many groups are about 4 plus a sniper, “not paying attention to the sniper” when he ports, conceals and fires at you from somewhere totally different while you’re taking on 3 other mobs, why sure, it’s a breeze.

As far as spamming @1 to win, I won’t even reply to that caricature of how I try to play.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m so glad that everything for you turned out so easy and effortless. Since many groups are about 4 plus a sniper, “not paying attention to the sniper” when he ports, conceals and fires at you from somewhere totally different while you’re taking on 3 other mobs, why sure, it’s a breeze.

As far as spamming @1 to win, I won’t even reply to that caricature of how I try to play.

The sniper’s attack is bright orange line. There’s also a mastery that allows you to see them when they’re stealthed so that you can keep an eye on them. Another tactic is just to focus them first as they’re fairly squishy.

Yes, that was an over generalization based on what I have experienced. The thing is that a large number of players do that or mash through their skills whenever they’re available. The stereotypical ranger spamming knockback with their bow as such as example.

martin.1653

I think what Oneira is trying to say is that you shouldn’t buy HoT if you like to have your hand held when going through content.

Sometimes it feels like people playing GW2 have this game as the first ever game they played. As soon as something little kittenallenging appears or something they can’t steamroll through, there is outcry how this game isn’t easy enough, how every single thing isn’t soloable, how things can actually kill you if you’re not paying attention, how you need to explore things on your own…

TEKnowledgy.1760

Sometimes it feels like people playing GW2 have this game as the first ever game they played. As soon as something little kittenallenging appears or something they can’t steamroll through, there is outcry how this game isn’t easy enough

lol all i got to say gw2 was any easier I might actually try doing been there done that with my eyes closed bet i could for least 50% of it now only thing I’d be worried about killing me is a cliff lol

Base gw2 was so easy I quit the game multiple times i never could get hooked to the base gw2 because wasn’t technical enough like gw1 was spam left mouse button win gw1 haha these ppl find gw2 hard they never played gw1 i mean gw1 wasnt all that hard either once you learnt to use what and where. At the moment in gw1 I got full hench plus my ranger i use the same build on them every where i go every campaign even eotn every dungeon (fow uw my main talking point) last time i got partied wiped was 2011 when i tried hard mode clear one them areas in shiverpeaks to many dwarves with mean magics lmao little area i can’t remember name been awhile.

Anyways stumbled off topic here to OP get HoT it may seem hard at first because difficulty increases 2 fold may have to rethink your traits and armor preferences Difficulty bout 2x harder over cursed shore i go back to cursed shore i feel like im playing in queensdale lol I laugh every time i kill a risen im like dang you noobs need to up your game to fight with me…… Since I got HoT i spend 75% of my time in it other 25% doing base gw2 dailies. HoT is my home now the loner that could.

Oneira.7691

I made my point to the OP. Get in a group as much as possible, a steady group. Hero points and Masteries will come so much easier.

As for the other comments made about my posts, particularly the one about needing my hand held. I’ll forego returning one insult with another. I went through the first game without having my hand held just fine, with several characters, yet HOT is a completely other story. Spare me your condescending crap. I am a decent enough gamer and not at all far from the norm.

People like you can always say, “oh, it’s so easy I just about slept-walked through it.” Well good for you. The point of HOT should not necessarily be to crush those who are not aspiring to be hardcore. Providing more of a challenge? Fine. I could give you plenty of examples of how often death and failure happens that it may take countless repetitions to “learn” from.

But i’m out of this thread and will not respond further, which will certainly not disappoint you I’m sure.

TEKnowledgy.1760

I made my point to the OP. Get in a group as much as possible, a steady group. Hero points and Masteries will come so much easier.

As for the other comments made about my posts, particularly the one about needing my hand held. I’ll forego returning one insult with another. I went through the first game without having my hand held just fine, with several characters, yet HOT is a completely other story. Spare me your condescending crap. I am a decent enough gamer and not at all far from the norm.

People like you can always say, “oh, it’s so easy I just about slept-walked through it.” Well good for you. The point of HOT should not necessarily be to crush those who are not aspiring to be hardcore. Providing more of a challenge? Fine. I could give you plenty of examples of how often death and failure happens that it may take countless repetitions to “learn” from.

But i’m out of this thread and will not respond further, which will certainly not disappoint you I’m sure.

I’m not even hardcore I would barely even fall in casual category i quit game for 2 1/2 years man barely put in 3hrs a day most the time less then that. Shouldn’t say op you have get in group because it’s completely untrue in most cases might be a few that needs a group you being part of those type that do. Hand holding has nothing do with insulting it’s figuratively way of saying you need help rather than learning to help yourself.

Some people need it easy for many reasons, but saying most what you said in your first post is completely untrue. I’m still betting you use berserker on your char while soloing try to switch that up see how much better you’ll do you. Once you feel confident you can handle them better then switch back to it if you desire. It’s like you said HoT is a different story on difficulty can’t expect to jump into a hard area like HoT while wearing paper for armor without knowing the enemy, skills don’t really have much to do with it. Mob knowledge does.

Say death you learn from obviously you haven’t learnt anything cause you still dying left and right. Then telling others they will to if they don’t group that’s called fear mongering you have no proof of your statements that are based on more than your own opinion of the content.

Vayne.8563

The idea that you can’t solo HoT is simply wrong. You can’t solo HOT if you don’t know your profession and you don’t know how to look for tells.

Take the sniper comment. The sniper puts a big target over your head, just before he fires. If you move sideways when you see the target over your head, the snipers biggest attack will not kill you.

Many people find HOT too hard because they don’t take the time to understand the enemy or figure out how to progress through it.

If you don’t mind dying sometimes, and you’re willing to learn HoT will be a fun experience.

As for getting through Guild Wars 1 being an indication of anything, I guess the question is, did you have heroes with you because with decent heroes, it doesn’t matter how bad you are in Guild Wars 1.

Of course Guild Wars 1 wasn’t an open world MMO, it was a CORPG, with no open world, and it’s a completely different playing experience.

HoT was meant to be expansion content. Just as Eye of the North was harder than core Guild Wars 1 content, so is HoT harder than Guild Wars 1 core content.

But not being able to solo it is simply wrong, based on the number of people I know who can solo it who are fairly casual.

There are, however, some hero points which you won’t be able to solo unless you’re very very good. Some hero points will require a 2-3 people and a couple will require even more.

TEKnowledgy.1760

As for getting through Guild Wars 1 being an indication of anything, I guess the question is, did you have heroes with you because with decent heroes, it doesn’t matter how bad you are in Guild Wars 1.

Of course Guild Wars 1 wasn’t an open world MMO, it was a CORPG, with no open world, and it’s a completely different playing experience.

HoT was meant to be expansion content. Just as Eye of the North was harder than core Guild Wars 1 content, so is HoT harder than Guild Wars 1 core content.

I was in no way complaining bout gw1 or asking for advice.
I was just in away comparing some aspect of hard mode difficulty to gw2 HoT area. While gw1 isn’t a hard game but if you take on certain areas in hard mode while not knowing what you are about to face it at times can be harder than gw2 HoT difficulty, in my personal opinion. I was, guess I still am a 11 1/2 year vet of gw1 as i still play it on n off still working on my HoM stuff.
I was more the less just having a laugh about under estimating that area of gw1 so many dwarves, heritics & doylaks all crammed into a small area. Probably the hardest hard mode area in gw1 lol. Had to whip out the map here was the place “Ice dome” on hard with full hero team. Like i said I took it on long time ago not knowing what to expect ive since cleared that area and moved on.

But in the end is it harder than hot? Perspective it depends on how well do you know hot how well do you know gw1 hard mode how well do you know the mobs skills they use if not very well they both are equal on terms of difficulty until you -60% on DP in gw1. Question truly is which is more frustrating getting killed in? Definitely gw1 as it had death penalties that lasted longer than 3 mins, if you didn’t have some them candy canes. I’m talking bout them good ones that wiped party DP fully lol. Any long time gw1 player knows what I’m talking bout.
So if counting possible -60% DP gw1 base content was way harder than HoT or gw2 as a whole even on normal difficulty.
Gw1 was way more punishing on a players death than gw2 base/HoT hands down.
Gw2 like a cake party you die some one reses you might lost 50 armor I never noticed much of difference with damaged armor it must be pretty light.
Game feels like its made for people that truly are casual players, even hot same way (and it is) after one learns the mobs it becomes simple.
A cake walk at best. People think gw2 hard and punishing but its not even a tickle if you are an old gw1 player.
Could you imagine losing 60% of you health in gw2? You would still have alot you probably wouldn’t struggle even then lets you got 20K HP 60% down to 9K most people dont ever drop 25% off base any ways soloing. Lost 60% in gw1 think my warrior has 560 hp tank running at 200 hp aint much of a tank then lol. caster round bout 120 or so dp is murder 187 in gw1, makes it truly punishing.
gw2 u die lose 50 armor (is it even that much ive never even looked to be honest) whoopty do lol res repair try again you could die a million times in gw2 without repairs still easier than dying 6x in gw1.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This thread may have moved a bit off-topic.

OP, if you have just recently purchased the game, you likely already have the Heart of Thorns expansion. You can check ‘My Account’ accessed at the top of the page.

TEKnowledgy.1760

This thread may have moved a bit off-topic.

OP, if you have just recently purchased the game, you likely already have the Heart of Thorns expansion. You can check ‘My Account’ accessed at the top of the page.

only in 2 posts it we a stray easily salvageable I’ve said all i have to say to OP he’s probably already bought it

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

When pre-purchasing for HoT was announced, they refunded any purchases made in the previous 5 months. If they do that again, HoT could essentially be free as early as next month.

martin.1653

Insulting? No.
Condescending? Absolutely yes. Because how else to address someone who tries to deter people from game saying it can’t be soloed and it’s too hard, when majority of people (casuals included) are doing just fine. Not to mention that this is MMO and it would be silly that all content is easily soloable.
Base game maps are ridicolously easy, you can’t even take them as benchmark for anything. HoT was just normal, with easy parts, with average parts and with harder parts. And by harder parts I mean parts that are hard to solo but really easy when few randoms join in and help.
Unless if by hard you mean you can’t survive when running into few veteran mobs and an elite trying to facetank them. Then, by all means, HoT is hard.

HoT is good value, easy or hard, and good purchase. Even if you get only 20 hours of gameplay out of it you still get more value that majority of entertainment available around you.

Scaar.3059

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, they were definitely helpful. I’m not to worried about difficulty in games (I’ve beaten all of the Souls games multiple times), so if anything that makes it sound a little more enticing.

I got the game back when it originally released as a gift but never played it due to the fact that I had a crappy laptop, but I’ve built a PC and I have been making my way through backlog and came across this game. So far I’m about 13 hours in and I’m at lvl 26 and really enjoying it.

If anyone has any advice on looking for a guild or people to play with I’m open for suggestions. Thanks for the advice on HoT, I will be getting it soon.

Posted by: BloodyPanda.6789

BloodyPanda.6789

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, they were definitely helpful. I’m not to worried about difficulty in games (I’ve beaten all of the Souls games multiple times), so if anything that makes it sound a little more enticing.

I got the game back when it originally released as a gift but never played it due to the fact that I had a crappy laptop, but I’ve built a PC and I have been making my way through backlog and came across this game. So far I’m about 13 hours in and I’m at lvl 26 and really enjoying it.

If anyone has any advice on looking for a guild or people to play with I’m open for suggestions. Thanks for the advice on HoT, I will be getting it soon.

If you want to LF a guild pm me US server, and I would suggest you wait until level 80 before getting hot since all hot content are for 80s player. However you do get level 80 boost if you choose to buy hot but it kinda ruins the experience if you use it on your first character.

TEKnowledgy.1760

I would suggest you wait until level 80 before getting hot since all hot content are for 80s player. However you do get level 80 boost if you choose to buy hot but it kinda ruins the experience if you use it on your first character.

I also agree with him. Go 80 atleast one time, beat all you can beat solo (if you stay loner). Then move to HoT. Because HoT was made more for people that had been level 80 for awhile. Understood game mechanics and how to handle themselves in battle, also understood their builds and/or professions. HoT was released 3 years after base gw2, so lotta people including myself was lvl 80 for a very long time.

If I jumped level 80 right off bat then went directly to HoT I might not say the things I said before I would probably need my hand held for sure or a group for non-meta battles, since some people seem to get offended by the hand holding term.

Personally, with level 80 boost i used it on my rev. I don’t regret it my other two level 80s my 1st char ever was engineer, 2nd was a ranger. I prefer to learn at higher levels harder the better, because that is the content I stay in. So I learnt how to best play a rev in HoT entirely. His build(s) and armor are perfect, my sweet spot for HoT. All the hate and dislike for rev I did face to, until I found that sweet spot now i play obsessively with him lol.

Bottom line enjoy base gw2 first, get 80 there first. Learn the game how to detect mob skill use, learn to dodge and all that good stuff. It will save your life in HoT and make it easier for you. Also test armors, traits and skills on your own (I don’t use build guides) find your sweet spots on your classes, once you do all that or willing to, HoT you will love.

Anyways take care and happy gaming.