Killing the Leather Farm

Killing the Leather Farm

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mr Cranch.3768

Mr Cranch.3768

Sometimes I don’t get Anet. I know they have a responsibilty to the economy in GW2, but they can be so hamfisted.

“Hey! You know how those wonderful spontaneous communities arise at the leather farm in Lake Doric, those joyful zergs that gather on the hillsides? Let’s start bombarding them with artillery! Let’s make it impossible to coordinate for fun! That’ll show those greedy Engis!”

Sigh.

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, they’ve been trying a little too hard to get us to play ‘their way’ as of late. Pretty much everything that players genuinely enjoy – from the good old dungeon farming days right down to the AB multi map – seems to be at odds with their design goals (and probably revenue stream).

It’s probably a big part of why MMOs aren’t as successful as they used to be. Since the sub-based model is no longer as viable, developers have been making their games suck just enough that you need to spend cash to really enjoy them, but not so much that you want to quit. It’s a fine line.

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

The only thing they did wrong was also bombarding the area up the hill. The problem was the Engineer farm, which was situated in the centaur camp at the foot of the hill. And the funny thing is, those bloodstone-warped hides (which is the actual leather farm item) hardly drop in the camp below, so those Engineers weren’t really doing the leather farm to begin with. You get them en masse when you follow the path up the hill, not when you stay down in the camp. The only area that needs to be bombarded is the camp, not the rest of Watchtower Cliffs. You get bombarded for standing still for too long, but that only happens in the camp. The farm up the hill is an ever moving farm, not a standstill one. As soon as they change the area that’s bombarded and limit it to the camp below, everything will be peachy. Sure, people might still not agree with it, but the original leather farm will be back to what it was supposed to be, and the camp will be cleared of faux leather farmers.

And this whole leather farm has done nothing to change the economy. Leather has even become more expensive since they introduced it. The only thing that would impact the economy is if they implement it throughout the entire game, i.e. all the maps. That way the leather drops for everyone, not just a small minority out of an entire playerbase. At the moment it’s too limited a means to have a significant impact on the economy. I believe they didn’t introduce the farm to impact the economy, but to make the acquisition of leather easier by making an area in the game where the drops are guaranteed and substantial.

(edited by TheNecrosanct.4028)

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Completely agree with this thread. I don’t know what is going on at Anet – big waste of development time.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Yeah I haven’t done the Centaur run since they brought in the bombarding hammer. I just go elsewhere. I’ll hit it for wood but that’s about all its good for now.

NOTE: Fixed typo

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

(edited by Lite Ning Strike.5203)

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

i feel like if they really wanted to balance the economy they would just tweak the droprates of the salvage items that drop appropriate level materials.

That seems such an obvious solution that i can’t imagine they haven’t thought of tit, which leaves two possibilities: either changing droprates is really hard to do, or else we’re misconstruing what their actual objective is.

Killing the Leather Farm

Djinn.9245

i feel like if they really wanted to balance the economy they would just tweak the droprates of the salvage items that drop appropriate level materials.

That seems such an obvious solution that i can’t imagine they haven’t thought of tit, which leaves two possibilities: either changing droprates is really hard to do, or else we’re misconstruing what their actual objective is.

Tweaking droprates of salvage items would make a broad change across the game. Anet doesn’t want to do that so they introduced a single source to farm leather which they can govern and change without changing the entire game. The problem is that they didn’t foresee all the ways in which the players would try to take advantage of the single source.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Significantly increased the chance that Bloodstone-Warped Hides may be salvaged into Hardened Leather.

That might be worth a little something.

It’s putting a strip of glue on a falling bandaid, but I’m glad they looked at the salvage rate for those hides.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Still do not want to admit you messed up with the ton of “adjustments” to the leather supply/demand, don’t you Anet? It’s apparently better to put a new paint on the bandaid.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

I’m not usually that cynical, but considering recent fix the real goal is: “Buy crappy episode 4 one of the worst in LS3, hehe! And then farm there for hours making us player-hour statistics so we can present it to NCsoft.”
Still love the game, but this situation smells very fishy.

Killing the Leather Farm

Djinn.9245

I’m not usually that cynical, but considering recent fix the real goal is: “Buy crappy episode 4 one of the worst in LS3, hehe! And then farm there for hours making us player-hour statistics so we can present it to NCsoft.”

I have to disagree with this idea. If they really wanted great player/hour statistics they would have left the engi farm alone.

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I have to disagree with this idea. If they really wanted great player/hour statistics they would have left the engi farm alone.

The problem is mostly this internal conflict of trying to fix a supply shortage using a focused farm (something they’ve never really done on this scale), but trying to directly control the flow the rate on a single vector (ie the farm itself). It failed initially for 2 simple reasons…. the output rate was too conservative, and way too much effort for such a weak payout.

Several have suggested that the farm was aimed at people who wanted to farm leather directly, rather then feed the TP. This kind of makes a lot of sense when you consider how the farm’s flow control is so harsh, and how it demands a lot of direct effort from the player. But the question is how sustainable is it in the long run? It’ll take a few weeks for things to pan out…. but people will eventually get bored of the leather farm, and prices will eventually settle (barring any changes they make in the mean time).

With the output rates being more reliable now, the farm might actually fill its purpose.

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Yeah, they’ve been trying a little too hard to get us to play ‘their way’ as of late. Pretty much everything that players genuinely enjoy – from the good old dungeon farming days right down to the AB multi map – seems to be at odds with their design goals (and probably revenue stream).

It’s probably a big part of why MMOs aren’t as successful as they used to be. Since the sub-based model is no longer as viable, developers have been making their games suck just enough that you need to spend cash to really enjoy them, but not so much that you want to quit. It’s a fine line.

Theres a diff between enjoying something and flat out exploiting game mechanics. Dungeons were clearly over tuned multiloot was a flat out exploit and the leather farm(tbh the leather farm wasnt 100% afk and it was fun to look at) but it wasnt what the devs intented and they nerfed it. I dont agree with the lake doric nerf but hey ots their game.

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

meh, I recently did the leather farm where you run all over the hill and pew pew crazed centaurs. on the rare occasion I do get hit by a treb I barely notice it. if you do go down ppl are usually good about ressing. this is only an issue for the camp farm, which was brain dead lame to begin with.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Killing the Leather Farm

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. The trebs killing the farm was an overreaction.