Leather price is killing this small guild

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Trinibaje.7683

Trinibaje.7683

I am in a very, very small casual guild. We’ve managed to get our guild hall up to level 56, but we are now prevented from going further unless we spend hours and hours farming leather. We need 900 pieces of cured hardened leather, and can’t afford to purchase it off of the TP.. not at those prices, it’s ridiculous how expensive it is. Oh well.. .this was really just a vent.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

what is it that you are crafting that your guild will die if it does not craft quickly?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Trinibaje.7683

Trinibaje.7683

LOL… didn’t mean it literally, just the cost of it is horrible and we’d like to get the upgrades going again. It’s just frustrating to have to grind for it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

LOL… didn’t mean it literally, just the cost of it is horrible and we’d like to get the upgrades going again. It’s just frustrating to have to grind for it.

You’re a small guild; you’re still going to have to grind.

The cost of leather is high and annoying, for sure. However, at worst, it’s a source of frustration; it’s not actually stopping anyone from upgrading gear or guilds.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

This is why, every time someone shows up asking how to start a guild, my advice is “just don’t”.

It sounds like it’s going to be fun, but after you experience the “claim a guild hall” part … it just stops being good, unless you manage to grow, and almost all of the folks asking that don’t really have any purpose for the guild that is different from the bulk of existing, already large and upgraded guilds, so … what do they offer a player?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yep, the system is really unfriendly for all new guilds. Which is a problem.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Dont worry, you’re getting tonnes of high tier leather from the synthesizers that Anet said would help with this, right?

Posted by: Gambino.2109

Gambino.2109

Actually I want to say that tier 6 leather is ridiculous from salvaging leather.

I salvaged 250 bags of gear which only netted 9 leathers which would go on to only refine 3 cured.

The chance of getting a tier 6 leather from salvage is extremely low as oppose to everything else. I think you have a better output from champ bags, which is still not efficient.. but what else can you do?

Edit- Of course you can save your tier 5 leather and upgrade them, it’s a gamble.. but probably worth the trouble with luck

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I don’t give a kitten about the guild hall. It’s a boring place where I can go for free by pressing G to go to HoT to lower the transportation costs or sell stuff. Just don’t bother, I don’t have even an idea what’s all the upgrades for. I am in a 500 man guild and never bothered. Just ignore it and good is.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

The cost of leather is high and annoying, for sure. However, at worst, it’s a source of frustration; it’s not actually stopping anyone from upgrading gear or guilds.

Agreed. Guild wars 2 is a game that focuses more on hours of grinding than just having fun. You guys may want to consider another game if you don’t like long hours of monotonous farming.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Agreed. Guild wars 2 is a game that focuses more on hours of grinding than just having fun. You guys may want to consider another game if you don’t like long hours of monotonous farming.

Welcome to MMO’s. At least in GW2, the grinding doesn’t lock you out of content.

Solstace.2514

Welcome to MMO’s. At least in GW2, the grinding doesn’t lock you out of content.

Raids.

Ayrilana.1396

Raids.

You’re not locked out of raids because of leather prices.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Geez, if you’re going to whine do it right.

High Fractals.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Solstace.2514

Raids.

You’re generally required to have ascended gear for raids. Often multiple sets On multiple characters if you want to be useful to your team. I’ll let you figure out how leather plays a role in that.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

You’re generally required to have ascended gear for raids. Often multiple sets On multiple characters if you want to be useful to your team. I’ll let you figure out how leather plays a role in that.

I got all my ascended from raids (and ranked until Anet killed that)

My necro has full ascended and my tailor character is only 425.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

ArchonWing.9480

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3xd0ex/ascended_vs_exotic_updated/

I think the most significant stat in there is the just over 2% difference between exotic armor with ascended weapons and trinkets and full ascended. Most can get weapons and trinkets, but armor is the real cost people complain about. It’s better, but you really don’t need it for anything other than fractals. I’d rather have a good player in exotic armor than a bad one in ascended.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why is it a problem? Why should a new guild be easy to establish? Running a social network well is a lot of work; perhaps it’s better if the incentives are better for joining an established organization rather than re-inventing the wheel.

(That said, if that is ANet’s goal, the game could really use some tools for potential guildies to find a guild and vice-versa — it’s hard to find a good fit with looking-for-guild or looking-for-members. Heck it’s even hard to find just which guilds are recruiting.)

Ayrilana.1396

Raids.

Ascended armor is only about a 2% difference in DPS. It’s not a requirement. Players have beaten the raids in full exotics, low manned, all of a single class, etc. gear is not as big of an issue as people make it out to be and especially when considering the difference between exotic and ascended armor.

Astralporing.1957

Why is it a problem? Why should a new guild be easy to establish? Running a social network well is a lot of work; perhaps it’s better if the incentives are better for joining an established organization rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Nope. That eventually ends up killing any attempts to make new guilds in game. And a game where every community is an old one is a dying game.

Actions, not words.

vesica tempestas.1563

The main reason to create a guild is if your goal is to develop a stable community that will last, and that takes commitment and effort, not rewards or enticements. Furthermore, guilds need numbers to be sustainable otherwise its just a glorified party, and the guild crafting is aimed towards larger groups to offer content for that community.

but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The main reason to create a guild is if your goal is to develop a stable community that will last, and that takes commitment and effort, not rewards or enticements. Furthermore, guilds need numbers to be sustainable otherwise its just a glorified party, and the guild crafting is aimed towards larger groups to offer content for that community.

In other words:

It doesn’t matter that your small group of close knit players has been together for 5, 10, 15 years across potentially multiple games. If you aren’t “x” size, you aren’t a guild.

That’s what this argument is boiling down to again.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

ehh i suppose no animals in tyria have a skin :/

SlippyCheeze.5483

I really disagree, as I see that one of the biggest shortfalls in most MMO designs is that “guilds” are one of two things:

If they bring rewards, those can usually be redirected to a small group of people, so “found a new guild, spam for members, profit” becomes a meaningful model. Most guilds are just there to channel profits to the folks who started them. (see WoW, where some gold deposits into the guild bank for every member playing the game.)

If they don’t, or the rewards can’t be channelled, then it attracts the people who really want the (perceived) power that comes from leading a guild, or who want to use it for something way outside the intended purpose (eg: guild hall as personal housing), and we get complaints about how hard it is to get a new guild working.

Neither of these really does very much, compared to guilds that actually have some purpose for existing such as a shared social attribute, or a specific intent and structure to work with an aspect of the game (eg: WvW guilds, or raid guilds.)

vesica tempestas.1563

In other words:

It doesn’t matter that your small group of close knit players has been together for 5, 10, 15 years across potentially multiple games. If you aren’t “x” size, you aren’t a guild.

That’s what this argument is boiling down to again.

call yourself what you like, its all about intent.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Nope. That eventually ends up killing any attempts to make new guilds in game. And a game where every community is an old one is a dying game.

I can’t disagree more that it “ends up killing any attempts to make new guilds.” It discourages people from starting guilds for the sake of starting a guild. It encourages people to be ready to commit to the enormous effort that is required to establish a long-lasting social structure.

There are all sorts of guilds, large & small. Not of all them will endure, fewer will thrive. I’d rather see ANet put in effort to making it easier for us to find guildies (or recruits) rather than making it easier to have 100 small guilds when most of the members would be just as happy in 4-5 larger ones.

Astralporing.1957

I can’t disagree more that it “ends up killing any attempts to make new guilds.” It discourages people from starting guilds for the sake of starting a guild. It encourages people to be ready to commit to the enormous effort that is required to establish a long-lasting social structure.

No, it discourages guilds that grow. It creates a situation, where if you can’t create a big guild from the day one, you should give up. It has nothing to do with long-lasting social structures. In fact, of the guilds i have been in in my long MMO history, the most fragile ones were those with more members, as those tend to have less group cohesion.

Actions, not words.

ArchonWing.9480

But there were many small guilds that did fine before HoT and now they have a huge cost to get things that were previously available to them.

I mean it’s gotten better, but practically all mechanics favor more numbers.

SlippyCheeze.5483

No, it discourages guilds that grow. It creates a situation, where if you can’t create a big guild from the day one, you should give up. It has nothing to do with long-lasting social structures. In fact, of the guilds i have been in in my long MMO history, the most fragile ones were those with more members, as those tend to have less group cohesion.

I’d certainly say more that if you are not prepared to put effort into growing a guild without immediate rewards, then you should give up. Which, honestly, I think is the right choice, unless you want approximately one guild per person.

I have seen what you have about large guilds breaking down, though. It happened routinely over in WoW, where they were much more strongly effected by both raid performance, and server moves by groups of people.

Most of the time, though, the breakdown was precipitated by one of two things:

One, a change in leadership, rules, or something that put social pressure on the guild such as problems with member behaviour. This triggered the guild to fall apart along internal fractures, such as “is being homophobic a problem”, or “is being sleezy acceptable”, or similar sorts of issues.

Two, the guild existed as a way to route profits from member activity to the small group at the top of what is, in essence, a pyramid scheme. The majority of members were recruited from map chat spam, cared nothing for the guild, and got nothing in return. Eventually recruiting wasn’t sufficient, the population died, and whatever illusion of guild life had existed to that point fell apart, then so did the guild.

Neither is avoidable, though: a guild that doesn’t provide any advantage to members is a guild that, at best, they pay no attention to. One that has some internal disagreement about social policy is one that is ripe to split if agreement isn’t reached.

Nothing makes GW2 any more resilient to those situations, and while it has less “implicit reward” for running a guild, it’s still full of guilds that exist so that the officers can “have the full guild experience”, or seek power over a guild without really understanding that it’s not just free “respect and obedience” from the rank and file.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Raids.

Ascended armor is only about a 2% difference in DPS. It’s not a requirement. Players have beaten the raids in full exotics, low manned, all of a single class, etc. gear is not as big of an issue as people make it out to be and especially when considering the difference between exotic and ascended armor.

This is all well and good if you’re in the zerker meta, but if you’re condition or require HoT stats (Vipers, Commanders, Minstrels) the cost of crafting exotics is still unreasonably high.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Or it weeds out the fly by night guilds that get created and die anyway because of lack of commitment that would have died anyway.

Too many guilds isn’t good for an MMO either, particularly if they’re going to suck.

Ayrilana.1396

Raids.

This is all well and good if you’re in the zerker meta, but if you’re condition or require HoT stats (Vipers, Commanders, Minstrels) the cost of crafting exotics is still unreasonably high.

We’re talking about two different things.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Raids.

Au contraire.

The point is that investing in exotic gear as a means of overcoming a barrier of entry into high level PvE works for some professions and some roles, but not for all. The cost of acquiring Viper’s exotics far exceeds the cost of acquiring Berserkers, where cost is defined as either gold or time.

If the goal is to gear up in ascended as a long-term goal, then gearing up in Berserker exotics is a cheap and manageable short-term investment for a higher payout. When the gear you need requires Viper’s or Minstrels stats, for an example, then that short-term investment may no longer be worth it.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Raids.

Au contraire.

The point is that investing in exotic gear as a means of overcoming a barrier of entry into high level PvE works for some professions and some roles, but not for all. The cost of acquiring Viper’s exotics far exceeds the cost of acquiring Berserkers, where cost is defined as either gold or time.

If the goal is to gear up in ascended as a long-term goal, then gearing up in Berserker exotics is a cheap and manageable short-term investment for a higher payout. When the gear you need requires Viper’s or Minstrels stats, for an example, then that short-term investment may no longer be worth it.

Not true at all.

Viper is actually cheaper to gear than Berserker at the moment. Minstrel is irrelevant to whether you chose exo or ascended as damage output gained is so negligible as to be laughable and the only reason you’d get it is to tank so you’re gaining at most 2% more durability (In a world where prot/aegis/blocks/blur/etc… exist). The real cost problem from Minstrel isn’t even the rest of the armor its the component piece of Freshwater Pearls whose ludicrously low drop leading to their exorbitant price.

Ayrilana.1396

Raids.

Au contraire.

We’re talking about ascended, not exotics. Besides, with how easy gold is to obtain, the cost difference between exotic berserkers and exotic vipers isn’t that large when compared to going to ascended.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Why is soccer a super popular sport around the world and golf is massively struggling right now? In one sport, all you need is a ball. In one sport you need hundreds of dollars of gear and a special location to play and practice. If you want a game to grow, lower barriers. If you want a game to languish, raise barriers. It’s a pretty simple concept.

I am in a very large guild but I would still support Anet lowering barriers for people who pick up GW2 and want to start a guild. If we tell these people “tough luck, you can’t play the game that way”, they will leave. We watched it happen with dungeons, we watched it happen with HOT, and we are going to watch it happen again and again. There are a crap ton of other MMO’s. We need existing players to stay. We need old players to return. We need new players to try the game and keep playing.

Ayrilana.1396

Why is soccer a super popular sport around the world and golf is massively struggling right now? In one sport, all you need is a ball. In one sport you need hundreds of dollars of gear and a special location to play and practice. If you want a game to grow, lower barriers. If you want a game to languish, raise barriers. It’s a pretty simple concept.

I am in a very large guild but I would still support Anet lowering barriers for people who pick up GW2 and want to start a guild. If we tell these people “tough luck, you can’t play the game that way”, they will leave. We watched it happen with dungeons, we watched it happen with HOT, and we are going to watch it happen again and again. There are a crap ton of other MMO’s. We need existing players to stay. We need old players to return. We need new players to try the game and keep playing.

That’s assuming the cost difference between the two is the actual reason why each sport is performing as you say.

We can also go about this another way using your example’s theme. Let’s say that you have Sport A which requires a lot of individual skill and coordination with your team while Sport B does not. Sport A is intended for those that love that kind of thing while Sport B is intended for all athletes. Sport B has more of a athlete base. Is either Sport better or worse? Should Sport A be dumbed down from what it was intended to appeal to all athletes?

Barriers really haven’t been lowered with dungeons or HoT yet you claim them to be an issue. Any build is viable for dungeons and HoT. So what exactly is the barrier other than what is player imposed? How about raids? Players impose meta builds but raids can clearly be completed without those if everyone knows the mechanics.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

That’s assuming the cost difference between the two is the actual reason why each sport is performing as you say.

We can also go about this another way using your example’s theme. Let’s say that you have Sport A which requires a lot of individual skill and coordination with your team while Sport B does not. Sport A is intended for those that love that kind of thing while Sport B is intended for all athletes. Sport B has more of a athlete base. Is either Sport better or worse? Should Sport A be dumbed down from what it was intended to appeal to all athletes?

Barriers really haven’t been lowered with dungeons or HoT yet you claim them to be an issue. Any build is viable for dungeons and HoT. So what exactly is the barrier other than what is player imposed? How about raids? Players impose meta builds but raids can clearly be completed without those if everyone knows the mechanics.

There are kids in africa that play soccer with balls made from condoms (literally). This kid has a 0% chance of playing golf. Has nothing to do with athleticism and preferences.

To be clear, the dungeon and HOT comment was specifically to the “play your way” quote. They don’t have any barriers.

Ayrilana.1396

There are kids in africa that play soccer with balls made from condoms (literally). This kid has a 0% chance of playing golf. Has nothing to do with athleticism and preferences.

To be clear, the dungeon and HOT comment was specifically to the “play your way” quote. They don’t have any barriers.

My example wasn’t refuting your example but another take on it showing that there are other things than cost that can impact how approachable a sport is which is in relation to this game with raids.

The thing is that you can’t really prove one way or the other which is my point. Players could be struggling to acquire the gear for raid meta builds. They could also be struggling with obtaining the skill level and coordination to work as a team. Or it could be a combination. Based on the posts that I have seen, my impression is that any barrier (if one were to exist) would be more because of the latter than former.

And we’re deviating from the thread topic which is upgrading guilds.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)