Legendary gear is not "Legendary"

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

No I’m not saying it should be stronger than ascended no I am in fact talking about the skins. Yes they suck and I don’t care if you agree with me or not. If you think the same as me that fine, if you like them thats fine too. But why am I saying it now? Well because legendary armour is on the way and I don’t want it to be just like the weapons.

I have a solution how to make them better but first I will rant about them a bit in part 1, if you don’t want to hear any of that just go to part 2.

1) First of all they all look like toys thats why I call them “Mattel weapons”.
I mean whats with all the glittering and rainbows?
These weapons very often are mismatched for a certain class or some do not fit any really.
Like the “Incinerator” – what does it look like? Like a welding torch right? so who would a welding torch fit best? An Engineer right? Yet they cannot whield daggers.
Or the “Bifrost” ok so it may look good on an Elementalist or Mesmer, average on a Guardian or Ranger (Druid), but on a Necromancer, Revenant or Thief (Daredevil)? NEVER!
“The Moot” is a disco ball on a stick, it doesn’t make anyone look cool but like a complete dork.
“The Quip” is literally a toy only a Mesmer may find this fitting but no one else.
“The Minsterel” is a harf it’s just another weapon that may look fitting for a Mesmer only.
Now the “The Dreamer” does not fit anyone especially if the character is male, it fires rainbow unicorns – whatever that means. Not only that but it’s annoying as hell, I did fractals not long ago with a Thief that used it, when he started spamming it at the Dredge Power Suit the sound it made gave me a headache.
As for “Twilight”, “Sunrise” and “Eternity” sorry but I don’t share your love for them. They are cool and all but I’m a Japanese sword freak so the best Greatsword skin in my opinion is “Belinda’s Greatsword”.

2) Right so even if you don’t agree with my opinion on them, most of you will probably agree with what I’m about to say.
My Idea is simple these weapons and armours should have multiple forms. What I mean by that is they take on a different form depending which class whields it.
But would that not make problems with the wardrobe? No these specific looks would be profession locked – if there are race exclusive armour skins why can’t there be profession exclusive skins too?
So in the hands of a Necromancer these weapons and armour would look like something forged in the pits of hell.
An Elementalist could have weapons and armour with 4 different effects i.e. it would change depending on which attunement is active – I find that fair as they can only carry 1 weapon set at a time.
An Engineer would get gear that looks futuristic, you know laser guns and stuff like that, their shield could look like a personalised forcefield etc.
A Revenant could get weapons that are related to his/her legends like the hammer would look like the “Hammer of the Great Dwarf”, swords like “Shiro’s Blades”, while the Heralds shield like a piece of shell from one of Glint’s egg’s.

You get what I mean right? Would that not be better than having everyone running around with same look which constantly vomits brightly colored bloom in your face?
Otherwise there will only be a total of 3 armour skins once they come out. Now I know each armour looks different on each race but the difference is not that that big as you can clearly tell which skin is which.
So yes it would still be possible to pass your armour and weapon to another character through the vault but their looks would change if that character is a different class.
And creating a Legendary weapon or armour would unlock all the skins available but each skin would be exclusive to a profession. So a Mesmer would not be able to use the wardrobe to wear an Elementalits Legendary weapon or armour skin and vice versa.

Now don’t tell me you don’t like this idea at all, because I know a lot of you want new legendary skins.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

So you do not like the skins and you want them developed based upon your personal taste. You do realize there are most likely a lot of people that do enjoy the skins?

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I suppose asking for an option to turn off the effects is out of the question? I have a horrible feeling it’ll be like watching those annoying mine, choppy, harvest tools in multitude once they hit

On saying that if they ever release a Killer Klowns From Outer Space set of skins in the cash shop, I’d roll an Asura and save up for the Quip.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have to disagree on the profession locking. If i were ever to put myself through the hell it takes to get the legendary armor, I would be very disappointed if it meant that my very nice necromancer would have to look like some demonspawn or my no nonsense mesmer stuffen in some frou-frou frock.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

I think the OP missed out on the part where new legendary weapons are being released

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not all skins will appeal to everyone.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

sure players want new legendary skins and the devs will make them.

Unfortunately your idea of… craft one legendary weapon or armor set and unlock unique looks for each profession is not realistic. If they did that, crafting that one universal legendary would end up costing 100k gold to make… Plus, you are putting restrictions on top of restrictions by limiting things to individual professions.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) It’s all about personal taste. I love Sunrise, but I don’t really like Twilight. It’s the other way around for my friend. I love my disco ball on my guardian, it’s just so fun and it fit, but I would not put the rainbow shortbow on my thief. Not because I don’t like the skin, but it just doesn’t fit on that character. So I disagree completely with you on that. Why? Because whatever they do, the reaction will be the same. Some people will love them, other will hate them.

2) Not a good idea for several reason. First, it will take so much more effort to make that. Ressource cost money and Anet have a budget. The more time they put on Legendary, the less skins we gonna have. They need to be smart of that and your solution it’s subtle by a bit. You just do a lot too much work for the result you gonna get. The second reason is that it won’t help the situation. It’s not because it fit a profession that it will fit a character. My guardian is blue and gold, fitting with Sunrise. My friend guardian is darker and prefer Twilight, my other friend made a Red/Black guardian with Volcanoe. So what would be the GS on a guardian? To which character will it fit, with the other won’t want the legendary? What If I want the Guardian Legendary on my Necro or Mesmer? They will have to create 9 times more legendary skin, but people will only have the choose for their profession. At this point you are better off to just create 9 different legendary skins and let the players choose which one their prefer.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I disagree with your idea, mainly because all it does is a) add more coding and art work b) make it more confusing what you’re getting when you get the piece of gear and c) pigeonhole people with a stereotypical profession look (which is little different from pigeonholing them with a psychedelic rainbow look).

In other words, what it adds will please some people and annoy others, and it will be extra work for all of virtually no change. Now if there was more than one skin for a legendary that you could choose from, that would be a step up. For example, if they were going to make class-specific skins, then you should be able to choose which class’s theme you want equipped, rather than having it forced on you.

The wardrobe system in this game is very robust and taking the time to basically add new legendary skins, for the sole purpose of forcing them on different professions as stereotypical looks would be antithetical to the system we have in every way.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Other than the pistol I disagree.

BTW the Incinerator is kitten, disco destroys, the shortbow is a pony-fueled one-man riot, the Predator is face-melt cool, the GS serves as a timepiece as well as a murder machine, some people dig Bards (hence Minstrel), the Jug is a lamp post of destruction, the Bifrosty is the bridge to the gods, if it’s good enough for them, why not you?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

Where can I find images of the legendary gear?

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Now the “The Dreamer” does not fit anyone especially if the character is male

Are you a homophobe?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Not all skins will appeal to everyone.

This.

I feel you TC. Ask any necro out there how they feel about Bifrost fitting their characters theme.

Unfortunately, not every single legendary will fit every theme. All legendary’s have currently over normal skins is an ambudance of bonus grafical effects (and their stat change ability). That is more than sufficient I believe.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Where can I find images of the legendary gear?

The Wiki that you can click to up at the top of the page.
You may also see some stuff on Dulfy.net.
There may be other sites but those are 2 that I know of.

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

As an engineer main, i would heavily dislike mostly engineer-themed weapons/armor. I don’t really want anything Engineerey looking at all as a legendary.

Edit: Also I forgot to add, just because you don’t think things like the Dreamer and Quip don’t fit someone for any reason, doesn’t mean they don’t think so too. We may play the same game, but not all of us look at the themes/aesthetics the same way.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

(edited by Rhomulos.2089)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So, you want legendary skins to have a skin for each profession? 9x the skins for each legendary? We’re seeing a few new legendary weapons and finally armor after 3 years? Should your suggestion be adopted, I’d expect we’d see it sometime around 2042.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

For me, a legendary armor would be Profession tied, so I could have a armor that changes as I swap elements on my elementalist

Or a armor tht gives me a spectral trail while on necromancer.

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Wait where did you guys find the skins? I googled and couldn’t find anything.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

While I like the idea of the effects changing, I think I would prefer to have the look selectable instead of class/race based. On the other hand though, I doubt they would put the time and effort into making yours or my idea come true here. It would likely take too much time.

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

Yes and you speak for all the players in gw2 /clap

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ok, there’s some major confusion going on in this thread.

The people talking about the skins are only talking about the legendary weapon skins currently in game and/or the legendary back pieces shown off. No legendary armor or any of the new legendary weapons have been shown yet (although some people have speculated that a couple of data mined skins may be legendaries).

Posted by: Immortality.5093

Immortality.5093

“The Moot” is a disco ball on a stick, it doesn’t make anyone look cool but like a complete dork.

Guess you don’t know who Rasman is, scrub.

<3 Desolation

Attachments:

The bringer of silent death AKA 2 axes in your face

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

I am one of those people who never really liked legendaries because they were obnoxious. That’s when I made this thread a year ago. It still has it’s thumb.

However I have to say that I am not privy to making legendary skins for each profession. It takes a while for anet to pump out content and to get that many skins for each weaponset would take forever. Would rather them keep doing what they are doing.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

I do not like the idea of the skins being tied to a profession. However, I do with there were alternate or more skin choices on legendary weapons. I wouldn’t mind a “legendary only” skin that can be crafted or bought in the gem store and can be used on a legendary weapon of the same weapon type in order to give a little more choice to someone who might want to keep their legendary looking epic, but isn’t a fan of the look or color scheme.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

well just like how we are getting new legendary weapons i think it is fair to say we will eventually get new legendary armor skins.

not all skins will appeal to everyone and i think it would be a bad idea for them to try to make them do so (we would never have got something like dreamer if that was the case). in the mean time if you dont like the skins you can either still go for the legendarys for the stat swapping or just wait for ones you do like

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

I actually like the idea of class-specific legendary armor.

I mean, that’s way better than legendary armor all being the same exact skin, or even 3 skins one for each armor class. Any raider that wants to show off the fact that they have a full legendary set of armor is going to look pretty much exactly the same, and that’s boring.

Plus I hear a lot of complaints about how most classes don’t have many armor sets that truly fit their theme, especially among medium armor users.

And that also solves the issue of what sort of effects would make a legendary armor skin legendary, when auras, footfalls, etc. are already parts of the weapons.

Like the idea of having the Elementailist armor change appearance with attunement sounds like it’d be pretty cool. If class exclusive-armor skins interacted with the class mechanic it would be a a way to give legendary special effects without clashing with other legendary gear.

To prevent the issue of needing full sets legendary gear for all your alts, they can be like outfits rather than like cultural armor, where the skin automatically changes itself to the equipped class rather than only being equip-able by a given class.

It’s just that tying the armor’s effect to class mechanics would require class exclusive skins, unless there was an “off” version that didn’t work if you put the armor on the “wrong” class. Like putting the transforming ele armor on a Necro would give you a plain version of the armor that doesn’t have attunement effects.

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

c) pigeonhole people with a stereotypical profession look.

This, basically. For instance, who says a Necromancer needs to look like a minion from Hell? That’s your preferred interpretation of a Necromancer look, which is quite personal. Granted, a lot of people go for that look. My 2 Necromancers fit that stereotype, but the idea of making one that looks nothing like what you’d expect has wandered around in my head for a while now (or I might just change the appearance and skins of one of them completely; I tend to do that at times). Profession based skins limit creativity and force a certain look on you. Besides, there’s no accounting for taste, so let people look horribly mismatched if they choose to. I’ve seen my fair share of those (from my perspective) and it always gives me a good laugh, or at the least a hearty chuckle.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

This, basically. For instance, who says a Necromancer needs to look like a minion from Hell? That’s your preferred interpretation of a Necromancer look, which is quite personal. Granted, a lot of people go for that look. My 2 Necromancers fit that stereotype, but the idea of making one that looks nothing like what you’d expect has wandered around in my head for a while now (or I might just change the appearance and skins of one of them completely; I tend to do that at times). Profession based skins limit creativity and force a certain look on you. Besides, there’s no accounting for taste, so let people look horribly mismatched if they choose to. I’ve seen my fair share of those (from my perspective) and it always gives me a good laugh, or at the least a hearty chuckle.

Yep. One of the looks I’ve done on my necro was a celestial priestly thing, where she’s supposed to appear alluring and innocent on the outside, but then there’s the dark shroud part that comes out in battle.

You can really go for whatever interpretation of the class and weapons that you want. That’s one of the things I like about the extensive dyes and wardrobe in this game.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

The only legendary that I really liked was Kudzu and that’s just personal preference.
I like Dreamer for the fact you shoot unicorns at people and Moot…for being well Moot.

But I really wouldn’t like skins being tied to a profession. It just limits what you can do with your character.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Some of the legendaries are of peculiar taste, the longbow won’t suit everyone for a start,

The Dreamer is really a ‘My Little Unicorn’ kids toy, as is Quip, both are suitable for trolling thieves and maybe Quip on mesmer.

Unfortunately making skins for a specific profession is going to be equally controversial. Warriors may want the skins from the Guardian, Elementalists from Mesmers, and the thieves will want everyone’s skins.

That would make the skins expensive to produce and induce grief between the classes as to who got their preferred skin. I agree that there should be more legendary skins but that is already in the pipeline.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Yep. One of the looks I’ve done on my necro was a celestial priestly thing, where she’s supposed to appear alluring and innocent on the outside, but then there’s the dark shroud part that comes out in battle.

You can really go for whatever interpretation of the class and weapons that you want. That’s one of the things I like about the extensive dyes and wardrobe in this game.

Well, human necromancers are priests of Grenth by lore. And those priests were not all doom and gloom and dark and evil…they serve important purposes in human life from funeral rights to high ceremony’s praising life (Orr mentioned this). So really, it is truer to form to look normal and approachable than it is to look like a minion from hell for humans.
Sylvari copy humans quite acutely when it comes to their interpretations of things so put them as approachable, that and the inclusive nature of their society and the belief that all things have a place. Asura treat it as just another magic discipline so really, no need to be a minion of hell here. Charr view magic as just artillery that doesn’t require shells, so again…no need for minion of hell look and infact you should look like a normal soldier. Norn? Yup…no need here either as they view necromancy as just another path to power and strength to begin your legend.

Frankly the minion of hell look is a trope forced on the necromancer from OTHER fantasy based books and such. People hear necromancer and expect that look because of what other games and books showcase them as, frankly a more approachable look for them is more lore oriented for GW and would be a refreshing change of pace.

That said I still wear the robes with the little bird skull hanging off the belt on my necromancer.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Are you a homophobe?

Because disliking a Rainbow Unicorn spitting shortbow makes you homophobic. All gay men enjoy rainbows and unicorns and none would object to the bow’s place in this setting. Keep being deliberately obtuse.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

If you’re going to all the effort to make 5+ different skins for each legendary, there’s no reason not to just make that many more legendaries so people can choose for themselves what look they like regardless of class.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Are you a homophobe?

Because disliking a Rainbow Unicorn spitting shortbow makes you homophobic. All gay men enjoy rainbows and unicorns and none would object to the bow’s place in this setting. Keep being deliberately obtuse.

Let me ask you: What makes rainbows any more inappropriate (or appropriate) for males than females?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

can someone post a link to the armor(if it is out yet)? I’ve looked on the wiki and dulfy but can’t seem to find it, maybe i’m looking over it.

Btw op post is full of kitten, if i want to be a rainbow necro who are you to stop me, not everything has to be themed to proffesion.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Seems, OP, like not many people agree with you. Partly that’s because of the way you come off, but comments like the dreamer isn’t for guys…I’m a guy and it’s one of my favorite legendaries.

Maybe you should join us in the 21st century.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Where are pics of this supposed legendary armor?

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I have to say that I don’t agree with you, OP. You could say that bolt does not fit on a warrior but I personally think it is the best skin in the game so I use it all the time. If it were to change how it looked based on which prof used it I would be hugely disappointed because I wouldn’t be the skin I went through the most long, unpleasant grind I have done in any game to get it (not that leges being very hard to get is a bad thing). Also, I could want my necro to use bifrost and sunrise (as a reaper) with shiny armour. Yes it would not fit the theme of a necro but that’s what I like about this game, the ability to make your chars look how you want, nothing like their profession even.

For your first point, I think the legendaries are perfect, and as many have said, nothing can please everyone. I want my legendaries to be the most flashy, unrealistic, in-your-face things you could imagine. If I wanted to make a realistic character that fits the profession there are many non-legendary options for that, although I do understand you want realistic skins that really stand out which I also believe there should be more options for. However I see it as important that legendaries are VERY flashy and not necessarily fitting of any profession.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I agree, I personally only like one of them. The Flamseeker Prophecies. I made it and I like it. I don’t like the others so I won’t make them, and will not care about them.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I love my Sunrise and The Juggernaut. Is you don’t like it don’t whine.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

My problem with the Dreamer isn’t rainbows or unicorns, it’s the unnerving sound of that beaten unicorn.

Over and over and over….

Lol, still legendaries are a matter of taste. And when it comes to MMOs most people want to be a spectacle, so there is your obnoxious.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

Well. Some legendary skins are really awful. But this is not a problem. Just use this:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Charge

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

Stating your opinion as fact and demanding changes based on your tastes is extremely arrogant and creates nothing but toxicity, I don’t agree with most of the legendary looks either, but I acknowledge that they are popular for a reason.

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

I find most of the legendary weapons over the top. To much effects going on and such for my taste. I for instance would not mind not having the footfall effects (or make them more subtle), though there are a few that are alright. But this is my personal taste. I will likely never make one of the present ones, also due to cost and effort needed and not really finding any nice enough to do that. But I do have to admit the over the top-ness of them does make them stand out. You recognize them from afar. I do get a smile when i see someone walking past with one. But they are simply not for me and i am completely fine with that. I would like the horse sound of the pony-bow to be less grating though. I think the whole bow is original as heck (not my taste but that’s irrelevant), but the annoying sound when someone next to me uses it over and over does make me move away from them.

More looks would be great, regardless on if I ever make them or not. Besides plenty of people worked hard to get them as they are now, no need to force a change on them.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Are you a homophobe?

Let me ask you: What makes rainbows any more inappropriate (or appropriate) for males than females?

Perhaps the focal point of his opinion centers on the unicorn, which is primarily associated with females during the medieval and rennaissance periods upon which much fantasy lietrature and games draw for inspiration.

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

Well, if you don’t find the skins worth it you can just get another skin and make an ascended weapon instead… That’s a whole lot cheaper, less time consuming, and its the same stats anyways. Nobody is forcing you to buy them :/

Someone mentioned class specific legendary armor and that makes a bit more sense compared to class specific legendary weapons.

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I think most of them are alright, the only ones that I find particularly egregious are Bolt, Twilight, and The Dreamer.

Bolt and Twilight feel like they draw attention away from the action with over the top effects, Sunrise’s isn’t quite as harsh when swung.

The Dreamer’s new sound effect is just annoying people whenever it’s used. I was actually working on making it myself until the change, now though I’ll just hoard the materials.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Are you a homophobe?

The weapon doesn’t belong in this setting (the same could be said of many of the Legendaries, seasonal skins, neon hair, etc., however so there is little reason to draw the line at the bow when we have streamer shooting pistols, neon pink hair, blue jeans, and aviator sunglasses everywhere).

This also isn’t the place to get into a discussion about gender roles which we can observe in modern primates which you are conflating with homophobia.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

I like my Quip. Its creative and unmissable when someone is using it. Heck the entire area around the user would know they are using it. Similar to the Dreamer.

Sure, it doesn’t match the stereotype of the engineer at all, or a thief, but it’s entertaining and ridiculous, which makes it a legendary compared to the generic ‘awesome’ legendaries IMO. Forcing these stereotypes on characters just leads to blandness. I’ve seen a thief who looks like a clown and it suits him just fine.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

1) Is just personal taste so can’t really argue.

2) They cannot do because what if the new skin for your class is suddenly worse to the crafter than the skin they worked for. Its like saying “you bought X but we think Y suits you more so we’re replacing your X.” So it couldn’t be implemented without giving the option to retain the original skin.

But the major issue is the art devs then need to design buckets of new Legendary quality skins (getting these skins a cut above all other options and unique is pretty hard – now try doing it for 6 classes just for staff) AND you then will have people saying “I prefer the engi version of rifle! why can’t I use on my warrior!” – its too much effort for drama.

I think the best solution is just to keep making a new range Legendary skins with differing themes with each expansion – the next SBow could be something less rainbow and unicorn so there is more choice. Then people can make their choices and get what they want.