Medic Ceera needs a slap *possible spoilers*

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Hello

I just wanted to rant about this dumb-kitten Asura, who seriously needs a good slap. Ok… so on one of my characters, I did the Tonn storyline.

So the first time entering… Auric Basin? I see this Ceera, and I’m like wow.
So I go say hello. You’d think after all these years she’d be a little more rational, but she was a nasty horrible cow. I don’t like how we’re not given a chance to defend ourselves, back during the Sad Duty mission and now. The playable character has saved like billions of lives!

I know it’s really sad that Tonn died, but that wasn’t our fault! If the dumb-kitten Pale Tree hadn’t asked us to choose something we fear the most, Tonn wouldn’t have died.
She should take her anger out at her.

Regardless, the ship needed to be destroyed because otherwise, really bad things would have happened. I know that death/loss can make people emotional and irrational… but it’s totally not our fault that Tonn sacrificed himself

I just don’t like that this dumb-kitten gets the last word in. I mean, we saved her life! (Although technically now I just use a speed boost before she runs into that Risen filled cave- but that’s not the point!). If I were the playable character, I would slap that ugly, ungrateful Asura across the face.

Seeing her in Auric Basin acting all high and mighty led me to post this rant.

Thank you

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The death of a loved one isn’t something one gets over easily, especially when the death was as traumatic as Tonn’s. And if the person who indirectly “caused” the death of that loved one pops up in someone’s life, the bereaved might be less than cordial or even downright hostile towards that person for a good, long while. And yeah, it wasn’t our fault, and any person thinking rationally knows that. However, Ceera isn’t thinking rationally because she’s still heavily grieving, even after three years. On top of that, she’s currently patching up soldiers who were nearly blown to bits/killed by Mordy minions; and she also was on one of those airships that was destroyed in hostile territory. Honestly, she’s one of the few characters acting like a “normal person” would in that situation; everyone else (player character included) seems to be on some really impressive anti-anxiety or anti-depression meds to be coping as well as they do.

I do wish that we had a dialogue option to defend ourselves in some way, though.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Aiglos.2907

The death of a loved one isn’t something one gets over easily, especially when the death was as traumatic as Tonn’s. And if the person who indirectly “caused” the death of that loved one pops up in someone’s life, the bereaved might be less than cordial or even downright hostile towards that person for a good, long while. And yeah, it wasn’t our fault, and any person thinking rationally knows that. However, Ceera isn’t thinking rationally because she’s still heavily grieving, even after three years. On top of that, she’s currently patching up soldiers who were nearly blown to bits/killed by Mordy minions; and she also was on one of those airships that was destroyed in hostile territory. Honestly, she’s one of the few characters acting like a “normal person” would in that situation; everyone else (player character included) seems to be on some really impressive anti-anxiety or anti-depression meds to be coping as well as they do.

I do wish that we had a dialogue option to defend ourselves in some way, though.

True… I guess if you love someone very much and you lose them, I can expect a long grieving process. I imagine attaching the blame to us was more of a coping mechanism.

But she has to let go! She has to understand that we’re doing everything we can to literally save the world. We’re not the monster she makes us out to be… Besides, we do end up saving her life. I just wish the playable character was able to voice a defense.

Perhaps I was too harsh on her though… You have made me partially rethink

Yeah… I feel video games seem to gloss over post-traumatic stress with characters seemingly unphased by situations that would be horrifying in real life. Maybe it’s the water they drink in Tyria?

Posted by: Gendou.9620

Gendou.9620

Someone needs a quaggan hug!

Posted by: Teleoceras.1298

Teleoceras.1298

Actually, she makes me wish I could just grab her, throw her at the Risen and say “EAT UP BOYS! YOU’RE HAVING ASURA TONIGHT!”

Still do even after all these years.

29 characters!
League of Omnipotents [Omni], Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I liked how when you arrive there shes friendly and helpful in the first cutscene, then when you talk to her the kittenness appears instantly lol..

Seriously its cool that they have continuity but for hateful npcs its tiresome.. And we didn’t even kill tonn, it just happened..

Why blame us..

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You were responsible of the death of her beloved AND then you forced her to live. She will hate you forever.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You were responsible of the death of her beloved AND then you forced her to live. She will hate you forever.

I know of real life example of the second part (the ‘friend’ wasn’t responsible for anyone’s death, only for being unable to save only one of the two — said friend was never forgiven, even after the survivor fell in love and started a family sometime after).

tl;dr people get emotional when emotions are involved; they often aren’t rational about it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I actually like that she’s still upset.

Well…I thought it was a good decision for the story. I don’t mean I like seeing her still unhappy. Maybe it’s because I was also frustrated by what happened to Tonn. The very first time I did that story I thought it was stupid that he swam out to the ship to detonate the explosives and that the player character didn’t try to stop him and seemed surprised by the outcome. I don’t know that we could have done anything but I would have liked to try at least.

I do hope one day Ceera can come to terms with what’s happened and find a way to move forward. Maybe next time we see her she’ll feel a bit differently?

Also just a quick note that the Pale Tree didn’t actually cause it, any more than we did. She told us it was going to happen, just like she told us our Order’s headquarters were going to be attacked, but she was just making us aware of what she knew through the Dream, not controlling the course of events.

In terms of the game mechanics the choice you make does determine which missions you do and therefore what happens to the NPCs involved, but within the story it was going to happen anyway, she just gave us some warning.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I understand being upset, but to continually blame and hate someone for basically being there, ignoring the fact that Tonn chose to do what he believed was right, and dying in the process.
She won’t even bother listening to the whole story, for her, the only story she cares about is the one where she lost Tonn, details don’t matter:(

To me, she’s just picking the easiest target to blame/hate, and she’s letting that hate blind her when it comes to that person. So agreed, she’s one of those hysteric people that need a slap to get back to reality. (Perhaps not a slap from the player character though lol)

Ardid.7203

Tonn basically committed suicide. For a good cause, but still. The commander didn’t stop him, neither Ceera could stop him. Both feel bad about that. Powerless, unable to understand, sad and unable to forget.

In real world, that is known as the “survivor’s guilt”, and is a huge cause of family disfunction, divorces and subsequent tragedies.

The problem with Ceera is she’s too “real” for Tyria. I actually enjoy it. Being able to slap her WOULD be awesome too, IMO. More drama is always good.

Hawks

Aiglos.2907

Many salient points from all!

Though I would argue that we didn’t know that Tonn would sacrifice himself.
We knew he was putting himself in danger, but Tonn assured us that he would make it out. (Unless I’m making this up).

Regardless, he did an amazing thing! A loved one sacrificing themself doing a noble deed. Obviously this will cause a large amount of grief, but then remaining family/friends should be proud and come to appreciate how special they were.

Ceera remains hysterical… I guess grief affects everyone differently.

Ven Zehn.6573

Yep, Tonn told us it’ll be perfectly safe, after the player character voiced concerns. So up to that point, it seemed all was good (despite all the risen in the water lol).

Like, Ceera could’ve been like: “I am still angry that Tonn is gone, but I’ve accepted that things weren’t in your control, and that Tonn did what he thought was right”, instead, we get the current Ceera who probably shouldn’t be allowed on the frontlines due to her instability.

Ardid.7203

Ceera is on the frontline because she is unstable enough to be there… Any other, rational and sane non-militar medic should be probably far away from that place…

In my experience, even the proudest of the relatives of a hero would prefer to have him/her back. “He saved our entire village!” sounds very great to the people saved and the society in general. To most (rl) relatives it sound like “Your loved one died for a bunch of people you don’t care at all, if they were dead your loved one would be alive and you would be happy”.

Further on, there is the point of responsability. Our character IS a militar-ish commander. The pact is a militaristic organization. Every death under his/her command IS totally his/her responsability. No matter how it happened, no matter how convincing Tonn were, no matter how much your character tried to be sure the actions being done were safe or correct. No matter how much “bad luck” there was, or how much information our commander had or lacked: he/she IS THE RESPONSIBLE for the lives of any person under his/her charge.

IMO, while Ceera is annoying, she is a well constructed character, and our commander IS the son of a gun who was in charge when Tonn died. The guilt is on us anyway.

Hawks

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ceera was arguably the best kitten part of Heart of Thorns.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No the game forced her to live i’d have let her top herself to be with Tonn..

Ardid.7203

What you wished is not the same as what you finally did. Sadly, that’s how fate works.

Hawks

Ven Zehn.6573

You (the game) actually do force her to live, she’s invuln when she’s standing at the risen in the story, you have no choice but to save her to finish it.

As for my comment on her being in the frontlines, you usually don’t want people who’d run headfirst into risen during a moment of grief/insanity. Worst case scenario, you pull off a Leroy and screw up everyone’s plans on getting the best loot:P

(edited by Ven Zehn.6573)