Scarcity of crystalline ore

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Verificus.4320

Verificus.4320

Does anyone else have a problem with this? I want a set of six runes of the leadership. One rune costs 100 crystalline ore, it is the only way to get this runes. Noxious pods aren’t even a guarantee at crystalline ore and the only other way to do it is grinding story on the 20 alts, that I oh yeah, don’t have. I would understand the price if it was more abundant or if it concerned some kind of high value item, like a very unique skin or ascended/legendary quality gear. But a set of runes? Really? I have to literally open hundreds of these stupid pods (which are RNG based again, they don’t always contain ore and the amount is abysmally low when they do) to even get something as simple as a runeset. Then picture this, somewhere down the line after the first raid wing is released, a new wing comes out that requires to change my armor. Then I can open another several hundred noxious pods. I’d ask the cost of these runes be reduce to 10 crystalline ore. Yes that’s right, only 10% of the original cost. Because they are only runes. They aren’t magical new infusions with 20 stat points, legendary armor components or tokens for ascended chests/weapons. They are merely runes. Either that, or vastly increase the droprate of this stupid ore/make it available in other ways. At least stuff like fulgurite and the other new mats can be bought on TP.

And don’t you people dare give me crap about ‘he mad cuz he has to work for something’. I’d be happy to grind DS for hours on end, day in day out, for meaningful rewards. And the vendor definitely has quite a few of those. However I do not consider the runes to be one of them. You can even see they gave it though, because all other runes for map currency cost 150. They prolly figured ‘hey lets make this 50 cheaper because it’s harder to get’. Yeah, that would be fair, if it was 33% less common. It’s more like a thousand times less common. I can farm 350+ aurellium in 1 full auric basin meta.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

That’s probably a bad recipe that they will fine tune. 100 crystalline ore is absurd for one rune, especially when new legendaries require 250

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Getting crystalline ore is absolutely attrocious. I can get at best 10 in a DS run, which is a 2 hour long event.
And you need it for every single one of the elite spec weapons x.x

Dont get me wrong, I love DS and I have a lot of fun doing it, but the crystalline ore is definitely a farm if I ever saw one. I dont think 10 ores for a 2 hour investment is anywhere enough.

Also, the vendor only being accessible at the end is…not good.

Verificus.4320

Well I’m glad someone agrees :/ And they aren’t even great runes. They are only meant for highly specific builds. Only rune set with 30% boon duration but you give up alot of stats and possible other good bonuses for that. It also converts two condi’s into two boons when using an elite.

Posted by: Nekomi.9562

Nekomi.9562

“He just mad gotta work for it!”
I’m rolling in so much of this stuff that I can’t spend it quick enough!

Ahhhh

https://i.gyazo.com/5e0d00ac494f6dffa3f934cb994fda08.jpg

But in all serious no if you’re not doing it right then it is a pain I guess.

If there is evil in this world… It lurks in the hearts of men.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Ahhhh

what the hell man.

Nekomi.9562

Ahhhh

what the hell man.

Hm? I’ve not found the Crystalline Ore to be hard or tedious to get. Sure if you are with the mindset of “OH MY GOD I WANT THIS STUFF NOW!” I guess you could call it tedious and long and boring. But I’ve yet to really see the problem with it. I’m just glad it’s not like Dragon ore, and all the other ascended collectables I have over 1000 of -.-

Nekomi.9562

I mean that could be a way to balance it all out honestly!

A little Dragon ore here a little Star there an a whole lotta BS Dust and BAM you got some Crystalline ore

Verificus.4320

So you have 300 something crystalline ore? That doesn’t even buy a full rune set :/ Or do you have another 500 in your material storage? Well great, than you can buy a full set. After which you’ll pretty much not be able to buy anything else. And to get this you must’ve done exclusively DS for the past week or so. I play quite alot, at least 8-10 hours a day and I have about 200 of the ore right now. Is all that ore from farming noxious pods or did you cheat here and got most of it on running all your alts through the story? In any event, with the amount of time I spend on the game per day, I could MAYBE get 80-100 ore a day, doing nothing else but DS. But ya know, I have a guild to that requires attention, friends in game I need to help and play with. So i’m looking at probably half of that. So I basically need to play more than two weeks to get a kittening rune set. You think that’s normal and fine? In two weeks I can farm enough mats to create ascended armors for all your alts. I think THAT is fair. See how unbalanced this is now? I’m not even kidding. I could craft up characters for all my character slots tomorrow and two weeks later have all of them geared in ascended armor. But I can’t even guarantee that I’ll have that rune set two weeks from now. How is that right in any way?

Nekomi.9562

So you have 300 something crystalline ore? That doesn’t even buy a full rune set :/ Or do you have another 500 in your material storage? Well great, than you can buy a full set. After which you’ll pretty much not be able to buy anything else. And to get this you must’ve done exclusively DS for the past week or so. I play quite alot, at least 8-10 hours a day and I have about 200 of the ore right now. Is all that ore from farming noxious pods or did you cheat here and got most of it on running all your alts through the story? In any event, with the amount of time I spend on the game per day, I could MAYBE get 80-100 ore a day, doing nothing else but DS. But ya know, I have a guild to that requires attention, friends in game I need to help and play with. So i’m looking at probably half of that. So I basically need to play more than two weeks to get a kittening rune set. You think that’s normal and fine? In two weeks I can farm enough mats to create ascended armors for all your alts. I think THAT is fair. See how unbalanced this is now? I’m not even kidding. I could craft up characters for all my character slots tomorrow and two weeks later have all of them geared in ascended armor. But I can’t even guarantee that I’ll have that rune set two weeks from now. How is that right in any way?

Well I come from a long line of MMOS that require months and years of grinding to obtain things. It’s a milestone you can’t expect a mmo to give you everything a few days into an expansion. What would be the point? If you have a JOB, A super high ranking guild that requires your 100% full attention, Kids, a family should the MMO be responsible for making these things in game more easy to obtain?

No. It just makes obtaining those items slightly much more of an achievement

And no I have not been grinding DS hard since it was released. I’ve been here 5 days days or so doing 5 runs a day all of which only take us 1 hour tops followed by a 30 pod – pod train so do the math pod – ore wise.

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

Signed. It’s ridiculous how little you get. Completing the most complicated event chain and killing the biggest boss in the game shouldn’t be rewarded with scraps.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I see that getting them are difficult but I have a feeling that there will be more sources later on. Perhaps with raids?

It still would be nice if there were more permanent pods on the map due to how many you need.

Posted by: Memories Lost.7634

Memories Lost.7634

I see that getting them are difficult but I have a feeling that there will be more sources later on. Perhaps with raids?

I think this is exactly what they are doing, they purposely made it a pain to get large amounts of but tease us with shiny things that cost tons of crystalline ore. We have already seen that they feel the need to completely gut gold rewards from things like dungeons/fractals so I would assume raids would follow this philosophy. By having the raids drop crystalline ore in large-ish quantities they will feel “more rewarding”.

Verificus.4320

Well I come from a long line of MMOS that require months and years of grinding to obtain things. It’s a milestone you can’t expect a mmo to give you everything a few days into an expansion. What would be the point? If you have a JOB, A super high ranking guild that requires your 100% full attention, Kids, a family should the MMO be responsible for making these things in game more easy to obtain?

And no I have not been grinding DS hard since it was released. I’ve been here 5 days days or so doing 5 runs a day all of which only take us 1 hour tops followed by a 30 pod – pod train so do the math pod – ore wise.

The point is that it’s unbalanced. I’m not some qq kid that’s lolmad over not getting his candy. A rune set should not be gated behind this level of grinding. That is just my opinion. In fact, I’d want it to be so cheap that I could buy a set and try them out and see if I like em. And if I don’t, to not have to feel remorse for permanently destroying what I just spent (according to you) 5 days of doing 5 daily DS runs on. These things should cost 10 ore tops. Increase the gold price for all I care then. Or make them sellable. I’d be happy to burn 50 gold on a set if it means I have the convenience of switching to another runeset, then back again. If I want to do this with this set I have to kitten out 1350 gems for upgrade extractors or farm again, I’ve played grindy MMO’s aswell and never had a problem with it. That was because what I was grinding for was placed properly on the reward/effort scale. E.g. heroic tier gear from heroic raids in wow. I was never in a server first type guild so we took many weeks getting full heroic geared, sometimes even months. I was fine with this. But come to me and tell my the gems/enchantments I put into my gear sockets is that grind and yeah well that’s just kittened. The pricing of some of these items simply isn’t tuned properly. Especially since this new Ore is going be required for pretty much everything end game. New ascended stuff, legendary backpacks and armor. So why would anyone burn ~18 runs of DS to get runes with this ore? There is recipes there that cost 100 of each of the mastery vendor currency. I’d argue that is alot more fair. If these runes of leadership are meant to be sort of ‘special’ because they are only sold by the DS vendor than make em require 100 of each currency like some of the other items + a small gold fee. And remove the Ore cost all together.

Posted by: Friggarn.9451

Friggarn.9451

100% signed – searched all over to even find a topic where others were struggling with this as well. Rune of Leadership – (wanted to try it on my Revenant) – is a pipe dream at 600 ore JUST for runes. 50-100 hours just to get runes (though we get lots of other loot)
seems ridiculous.

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

Repeating story seems more efficient to get ore.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I get about 20 ore every map with 70 minute map runs.

It’s slow, but not as slow as people are making it out to be.

I fully expect this stuff to drop in raids as well which is probably why it feels so rare now.

If it doesn’t drop in raids then I agree it needs a buff. So I guess i’m taking a wait and see approach. This stuff is essentially the end-game currency to get the best stuff in the game. It should be hard to get.

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

That definitely seems to be a recipe not updated for the current rate at whiuch you get the ore.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Posted by: Syviren.7086

Syviren.7086

What mission awards it? The wiki is missing information on a few of the pages for the mission rewards.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

But you can only get story rewards once, I thought. So once you run out of alts, you’d have to make a new toon, level it to 80 and then run the story, which is just as absurd.
I’m with the op, the crystaline ore needs to drop in more quantities (preferable at least double the current drop qty) from the pods.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

7.5 hours per day for 5 days for 1.25 rune sets isn’t hard grind?

Verificus.4320

I get about 20 ore every map with 70 minute map runs.

It’s slow, but not as slow as people are making it out to be.

I fully expect this stuff to drop in raids as well which is probably why it feels so rare now.

If it doesn’t drop in raids then I agree it needs a buff. So I guess i’m taking a wait and see approach. This stuff is essentially the end-game currency to get the best stuff in the game. It should be hard to get.

But they are just mats. The legendary armor will require tokens that drop from bosses and will probably be rare drops. I’m fine with that. But why do the mats have to be rare aswell? And its a mat used for kitten tons of items now, this stuff should not be more rare than obsidian or other ascended mats.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

This rune seems horribly bad. Like useless.
Why do you want it?

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I am not really after runes but if I recall correctly, you need these crystalline ores for armor as well.

So far I’ve only found 3 nodes I can get them from: my home instance node (which gives about 3 pcs), and the two in Drytop near the crash site and one of the vistas (each gives about the same count of crystals).

You need 25 to refine into one major and you can only do this refining once a day per account. And you need 5 of the refined ones per piece of gear.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

So far I’ve only found 3 nodes I can get them from: my home instance node (which gives about 3 pcs

if you are speaking of charged quartz, the home instance node has a good chance to give +5 quartz on at least one strike of the pickaxe, and a small chance to just grant a Charged Quartz outright.

lynspottery.6529

So far I’ve only found 3 nodes I can get them from: my home instance node (which gives about 3 pcs

if you are speaking of charged quartz, the home instance node has a good chance to give +5 quartz on at least one strike of the pickaxe, and a small chance to just grant a Charged Quartz outright.

Well it must be extremely rare because in all the time I have been mining it the most I have gotten was 3 and never got the charged one at all.

Posted by: StaticX.7695

StaticX.7695

I find it more offensive that we go through a 90 minute event only to have the boss launch his loot all over the zone in a death throe. Imaging a D&D game where the party busts their posterior, kill the CR30 dragon, then the dragon laughs hysterically as he casts his final spell that scatters the treasure all over all levels of the World’s Largest Dungeon, then the whole place begins to shake as the magic that was holding it fails. You have 10 minutes to get out of the dungeon and get all your loot on the way out.

I would anticipate player revolt at the gaming table.

lynspottery.6529

I find it more offensive that we go through a 90 minute event only to have the boss launch his loot all over the zone in a death throe. Imaging a D&D game where the party busts their posterior, kill the CR30 dragon, then the dragon laughs hysterically as he casts his final spell that scatters the treasure all over all levels of the World’s Largest Dungeon, then the whole place begins to shake as the magic that was holding it fails. You have 10 minutes to get out of the dungeon and get all your loot on the way out.

I would anticipate player revolt at the gaming table.

…lol, I think your post made its way into the wrong thread. I was posting specifically about the crystalline ores.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I finally did a round in Dragon Stand, got 49 ore total, 40 from the story, and a very successful meta completion…. and then I looked at prices of all the items we’d need.

And it got me thinking, I’ve wanted to be able to salvage the various “Gifts” we get for map comp, which are utterly useless for those of us who don’t like any of the legendaries enough to make em.

So let us salvage em? And maybe different gifts will yield different quantities. Maybe each HoT gift will yield 25 crystalline ore, while a Gift of Exploration might yield 200? Just a thought, considering the time that goes into each map comp.

Though looking at it again, if you complete story and meta once on each toon, if you get enough pods, you should have enough to get that character’s elite spec item. Unless I’m missing something else that’s needed.

(edited by Ven Zehn.6573)

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

This is still an issue that needs addressing. There are a handful of ways to make it better such as increasing how much you get from pods or make MoM’s big chest give 30 crystalline ore instead of dragonite ore.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Well I’m glad someone agrees :/ And they aren’t even great runes. They are only meant for highly specific builds. Only rune set with 30% boon duration but you give up alot of stats and possible other good bonuses for that. It also converts two condi’s into two boons when using an elite.

It converts condis of nearby allies into boons and then boosts their duration… this is hands down one of the most stupidly op runes you could have for WvW frontline…

Just because something seems worthless to you doesn’t mean that it is…

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Can someone explain this please. Can i repeat it on my main or do i need alts? Also does doing the story with another dmg guy make it go faster?

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

skullmount.1758

This is still an issue that needs addressing. There are a handful of ways to make it better such as increasing how much you get from pods or make MoM’s big chest give 30 crystalline ore instead of dragonite ore.

I’d be fine with that. Even if it was only 15 crystalline ore in place of the dragonite.

Darkhaven server

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Can someone explain this please. Can i repeat it on my main or do i need alts? Also does doing the story with another dmg guy make it go faster?

It has to be another character that hasn’t done it. I’m assuming that the story instances do not scale so having more people should make it go quicker.

lynspottery.6529

<snip> sorry different ore type…

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I posted on this crystal ore issue not too long ago https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Quartz-crystals-once-per-account-per-day/first#post5745840

Big problem is that our guild upgrades also require this material as well and in large quantities. Its hard enough to farm sufficient to refine 25 pcs into one charged crystal but you need 5 charged for each pc of gear.

I find this odd but I shall have to check it out…someone told me you can get crystal ore mining in HoT maps too from regular ore nodes. Until I experience this I cannot say its true yet.

BTW here is the wiki page explaining “Quartz Crystal Formations are resource nodes. Each node can be mined once per day, per account (not per character).”
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quartz_Crystal_Formation

The sad part of this is that one location is no longer in the game.
Labyrinthine Cliffs (historical); Bazaar Docks
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Labyrinthine_Cliffs

Ummmm I think you are confused… this topic has nothing to do with anything in your post…

lynspottery.6529

I posted on this crystal ore issue not too long ago https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Quartz-crystals-once-per-account-per-day/first#post5745840

Big problem is that our guild upgrades also require this material as well and in large quantities. Its hard enough to farm sufficient to refine 25 pcs into one charged crystal but you need 5 charged for each pc of gear.

I find this odd but I shall have to check it out…someone told me you can get crystal ore mining in HoT maps too from regular ore nodes. Until I experience this I cannot say its true yet.

BTW here is the wiki page explaining “Quartz Crystal Formations are resource nodes. Each node can be mined once per day, per account (not per character).”
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quartz_Crystal_Formation

The sad part of this is that one location is no longer in the game.
Labyrinthine Cliffs (historical); Bazaar Docks
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Labyrinthine_Cliffs

Ummmm I think you are confused… this topic has nothing to do with anything in your post…

I just realized that …I thought both were the same type of ore…sorry…

Posted by: Gewd.8125

Gewd.8125

How do you farm machetes? Even if I can find 30 pods per DS, I only get 12 machetes per DS.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

How do you farm machetes? Even if I can find 30 pods per DS, I only get 12 machetes per DS.

You can also buy them from the combined currencies of the first three maps.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It would be nice if the new content rewarded you with the new ascended materials from their unique bags instead of Dragonite, Emperyal, Bloodstone. It would help keep core tyria populated, while promoting gameplay diversity.

Posted by: Bitoku Kishi.8346

Bitoku Kishi.8346

So to bump this topic, the new Guild Armor recipes require 40 Crystalline Ore per armor piece, and 10 for each insignia recipe. So you’re looking at least 250 Crystalline Ore to unlock a full set of armor (40×6 plus 10). If you want all three armor sets, you’re looking at a bare minimum of 730 Crystalline Ore (40×6×3 plus 10).
Let’s keep in mind here that going through the whole story will only get you 50, which is enough to unlock the recipe for ONE PIECE of armor.
Please ArenaNet, do something here… :/

Posted by: Lucent.8906

Lucent.8906

They already fixed the issue. Noxious pods now always give either 1, 3, or 10 crystalline ores.

skullmount.1758

They already fixed the issue. Noxious pods now always give either 1, 3, or 10 crystalline ores.

Thats still not really enough for all the things that req it. Should be 5/10/15 (or decrease the cost of stuff).

Darkhaven server

Posted by: Boottspurr.9184

Boottspurr.9184

Any chance the cost is going to be changed for these runes?

Bumping because I’m going for them now, and it’s super ridiculous.

Boottspurr from World of Enders [WoE]