Pre-Purchase Community Address

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: D best.3547

D best.3547

I think this was all planned to get away with charging 50 dollars for it. It’s not worth 50 dollars unless the guild halls are absolutely incredible because the amount of content appears to be very low for a 50 dollar expansion.

And it’s really annoying that you are trying so hard to get people to preorder. If it turns out to be good people will buy it after it comes out. Don’t push the preorder this hard. Just make a good product and it will speak for itself after you release it.

I ended up preordering but I’m not happy about it. I felt like the only way I’d get a good value is by preordering the ultimate edition. I felt bullied into it. I may have done it, but I’m not happy about it.

They came out with much more than $60 worth of content with GW2 + living story + Events + Every patch ever. I’m more than happy to give developers more money then subscription games for the expansion. The reason I was hesitant to prepurchase is the fairness factor of the deal that new players got compared to old players. Its like having a game %25 off for some but not for others.

Sea of Sorrows
Champion Paragon

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

A character slot should be included with HoT even if people buy it after it comes out. Only including it in the preorder is messed up.

The character slot is required to make HoT fully functional. The core game doesn’t even have enough slots for all core professions. At the very least you should add one with HoT for the new profession.

To me this feels like I’m being bullied into preordering. I would much prefer to wait until the game comes out and decide if it’s worth the price.

Pushing the preorder this hard makes it seem like you don’t have confidence in the quality of the product. If it’s a good product people will end up buying it after it comes out.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I think this was all planned to get away with charging 50 dollars for it. It’s not worth 50 dollars unless the guild halls are absolutely incredible because the amount of content appears to be very low for a 50 dollar expansion.

And it’s really annoying that you are trying so hard to get people to preorder. If it turns out to be good people will buy it after it comes out. Don’t push the preorder this hard. Just make a good product and it will speak for itself after you release it.

I ended up preordering but I’m not happy about it. I felt like the only way I’d get a good value is by preordering the ultimate edition. I felt bullied into it. I may have done it, but I’m not happy about it.

They came out with much more than $60 worth of content with GW2 + living story + Events + Every patch ever. I’m more than happy to give developers more money then subscription games for the expansion. The reason I was hesitant to prepurchase is the fairness factor of the deal that new players got compared to old players. Its like having a game %25 off for some but not for others.

If you want to support them because they did X, Y, and Z, that is a great reason to preorder and they don’t need to push you to do it. You were going to preorder anyway.

What I’m upset about is they’re only including the character slot for preorders so I feel bullied into it even though I much prefer not to preorder. I don’t like the concept of preordering. I want to decide after the product comes out if it’s worth the price.

Posted by: Dracolicious.2749

Dracolicious.2749

What? how are you people happy with this?? you are paying 50 bucks AT least cause I know some of you WILL get the other options, and then all they are giving you back is something worth 10$??? No, that seems cheap. If you were giving out a free legendary or something NOW THAT seems more like something to pay us,veterans, back for the support WE HAVE given you Anet. Not some lousy character slot.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

This community can never be pleased.

Posted by: DiploBot.5472

DiploBot.5472

Glad to see this change happen, now I’m halfway back on the hype train. A blog post about the new Legendaries would do wonders for the hype train and prepurchases.

Posted by: Cambeleg.7632

Cambeleg.7632

What? how are you people happy with this?? you are paying 50 bucks AT least cause I know some of you WILL get the other options, and then all they are giving you back is something worth 10$??? No, that seems cheap. If you were giving out a free legendary or something NOW THAT seems more like something to pay us,veterans, back for the support WE HAVE given you Anet. Not some lousy character slot.

We are happy with this ‘cos it’s exactly what we requested. No more, no less. Respect.

Its really just that simple.

Posted by: Elyk Mai.6401

Elyk Mai.6401

How about if we bought the game from NCSOFT on Amazon recently? I’m guessing that’s third party..

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

If you want to support them because they did X, Y, and Z, that is a great reason to preorder and they don’t need to push you to do it. You were going to preorder anyway.

What I’m upset about is they’re only including the character slot for preorders so I feel bullied into it even though I much prefer not to preorder. I don’t like the concept of preordering. I want to decide after the product comes out if it’s worth the price.

Agree. It was a good read until the ‘only preorder gets one slot’ part. Still feel tad bit shady but I guess I could live with this fix.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

If you want, the gameplay isn’t going to be much different, so all you need to know is about the content. It’s not like HoT is the next game in a series like Mass Effect 3, Fallout 4, CoD:MWIII, etc; we already have the game; what we don’t know is exactly what comes with it. They will reveal all the content that will be released at launch before the game is officially launched, so by that point you should be very well-informed as to what you will be purchasing. This deal will last up until the day before launch, so you have some time yet.

The thing with pre-purchases is that you take an inherent risk by supporting the company without all the information. They appreciate it and do extra for you up front, but waiting to buy it later doesn’t have the same effect.

Posted by: Welcometotheden.8547

Welcometotheden.8547

Agreed.

I don’t need an extra character slot. I need to see that there’s enough playable content to warrant $50. I’ve seen a lot of interesting update stuff, like a new profession, elite specializations, gliding, masteries, but none of that is going to significantly extend the life of the game $50 worth unless there is significantly more stuff to do and area to explore.

My stance on the whole debacle. No ‘veteran entitlement,’ etc. Is the $50 expansion actually worth $50 in content? I spent $60 for GW2 when it first came out and even without the LS updates, the existing content was worth the $60. IMO, the LS was worth the gem store usage. Hell, I would have dropped gems on the additional story line updates up front. They’re not that hard to accumulate if the price is fair. I, also, do not need an extra character slot. I had one ready to go for any expansions or profession updates that would have rolled out.

Bottom line…is there close to $50 worth of actual game play content in HoT? Will Anet be nickle and diming us on any potential future LS updates? If Anet comes out and states that the game play content will be similar to what GW2 core offered, I’d give up my cash a lot easier. I’m not asking for vet benefits, character slots, etc. I just want to see that $50 go to something other than ‘Season 3’ and 3 zones.

~ The Cult of the Six Symbols ~

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Thank you Anet. Now I will feel more satisfied when pre-ordering HoT.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I don’t post on the forums very often…but I feel like I should throw my voice into the mix here.

You realize, all they did to fix this debacle, was to offer a temporary extra character slot? You get it if you pre-purchase the game, you don’t get it if you wait for the expansion to come out and then buy it. So…if I want to wait to see everything the game has to offer, judge it for myself and then buy it…I won’t get the extra character slot.

After the expansion releases…it’s the SAME EXACT THING…why are we giving praise to Anet again? Granted, they actually did communicate and address the community, but that…in itself…it not enough to garner the type of praise people are giving them. :/

Well you can either wait untill the last minute possible before launch, when all info they are going to give will have been given prepurshase it and get the slot. ( since the will be closed betas for prebuyers before launch I would hope you would get all the information you need mate )
Or wait for it to come out and talk to friends who did buy it then wait for it to go down in price buy it and fork out the extra gems to get a char slot

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Yeah, I figure if there’s not a character slot in the basic version of HoT when it is released (and it sounds like there won’t be, unless something changes) then I’ll probably just end up waiting a good 9 to 12 months until the price drops. There are other games to play in the interim.

By that time, even if I have to pay ten bucks for a character slot it will most likely still be a lot cheaper than fifty dollars. I can wait.

Posted by: Bloody Knight Jack.2546

Bloody Knight Jack.2546

I’m still going to wait for more info on what kind of content there will be but really kind of mad that choices we make in HoT will pretty much not mean anything.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s interesting people question if it’s worth $50 … considering the hundreds or even thousands of hours they get from playing the game. The price per hour of this kind of entertainment is actually ridiculously cheap compared to lots of other entertaining hobbies you could be doing.

No, $50 is not much to pay, even if it’s just ‘one map, one new profession’, like someone people are proclaiming.

Posted by: FANY.6524

FANY.6524

Are you serious?

What’s wrong with a freebie being worth $10 with a base purchase of $50? That’s basically what new players will be receiving as well, and now everyone will be receiving different but fair benefits.

Also, are you aware of what legendaries are valued at in USD?

Ashe Walker
Prescribed [Rx]

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

As a veteran player I have decided to pre-purchase now.

My only comment on the matter is that the situation was made infinitely more complicated then it needed to be, and the team behind it needs to be internally questioned about their decision making process.

I also thought it was quiet amusing that the GW2 post was signed off by the ‘GW2 Team’. As if no one person or specific team at ANet wanted to take responsibility for previous decisions.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Good job.

Now, what about us crazy vets?

I have 64 character slots. Is Anet finally going to increase the number of allowed characters? Any plans to increase them in the future?

Will the GW2 universe collapse if you guys try and add one more character slot to my main account?

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

It’s interesting people question if it’s worth $50 … considering the hundreds or even thousands of hours they get from playing the game. The price per hour of this kind of entertainment is actually ridiculously cheap compared to lots of other entertaining hobbies you could be doing.

No, $50 is not much to pay, even if it’s just ‘one map, one new profession’, like someone people are proclaiming.

$50 is not much to pay?

A player posted this:

Attachments:

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: ZaidDyan.3057

ZaidDyan.3057

As we mentioned in several posts on the forums and in various other media, we have been reading and gathering your feedback about the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns pre-purchase.

Please see this blog post for new information on the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns pre-purchase.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

Great work ANet team. As someone who runs a small software company (and a very satisfied long-time player of GW1 and GW2) I deeply empathized with the whole situation and am impressed by the response. I’m sure this has been an incredibly emotional time for all of you.

I am really looking forward to enjoying the work your team has put into HoT. I was always impressed with just how much content was in GW2. With each living story expansion, I’ve seen how your team just got better and better at design and mechanics… e.g. compare the Silverwastes to Orr. What I’ve seen from the beta indicates this trend has only continued – the little bit of the world I saw was amazing.

Also – the extra char slot carrying through to Deluxe and Ultimate was a nice touch. I can use the slot from my Ultimate expansion for a new character now, knowing I’ll still have a slot free for the Revenant (and a lot of gems to expand bank tabs for all the gear).

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

this is a player versus game, we fight…that’s what we do. any player versus game that has a peaceful forum isn’t worth it’s weight in salt. lol

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

Business Model Clarification

We want to be clear about our business model for future expansions now that we are approaching our first paid expansion for Guild Wars 2. We believe that to keep the game dynamic and vibrant with a constantly growing community, it should be as easy as possible for new players to get into Guild Wars 2. For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Ok! You guys keep making the game, I’ll come back in 8 years and buy the battlechest version for one price. You’re not getting $50 out of me every time you release a class.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Thank you for the fabulous response to so many peoples’ concerns. I look forward to Heart of Thorns and beyond. Still plan to pre-purchase.

Posted by: Braghez.7529

Braghez.7529

Unluckily there’s still a lot to discover…we got some vague infos on what is coming, but no details about the “amount”

Still, the base client now is 20-21 GB with a 25GB requested in the system requirements…while HoT is 35 required…it if adds even “only” something like 10 GB it’s quite a lot compared to base game…that’s a whole whopping 50% more.

Plus we have to consider that this expansion isn’t only the “box” we get now…but it’s the fuel that will develop the next LSs and content for maybe 2-3 years or so.

Linken.6345

So what did they do to bullie you into it give you a fair discount on 4000 gems?

well that can be bought with ingame gold if you play long enough, shouldent be that

Was it the ingame items? well considering you bought the first game and saw that deluxe was offered to people after game shiped for gems that can also be get in game it cant be that either.

I guess it was the betas and the really swag title.

No I got it its the character slot you could have had for 50+10 bucks ( or ingame gold) that now are included in all the editions

I cant for the life of me see how they twisted your arm to get you to preorder 100$ one.

Maybe you should ask for a refund/downgrade to the 50 buck one if you still have all the gems left that is.

If you wanted character slot 4k gems and the expansion the ultimate is the only edition to go for but now you get a extra character slot ontop of it, thats when you start complaining?

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

Good job. I will support and pre purchase now. It feels nice to be appreciated doesn’kitten

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I bought the Delux. I don’t care, I enjoy the game. And if I don’t throw money at arena net they’ll never get around to fixing the absolute mess that is the necromancer.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Posted in another thread… but pretty sure what the new content model is you’re paying for the normal updates. Living story, feature updates, patches, and so on.

So if you think those things are worth getting ASAP then this is probably a good deal for you.

On the other hand if you thought they would expand the world to all over the place, and add a deep story, and dungeons and the old school stuff, might not be for you.

Posted by: Captain Guthix.8320

Captain Guthix.8320

I’m so glad to see this post. I actually feel bad now about my previous posts now. It’s nice to see that ArenaNet cares for their community. I’ll be getting the pre-order as soon as possible!

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Keep in mind that purchasing HoT will not only give you the content coming with the expansion, but also all the “free” content coming post-expansion. A-net announced that those who do not purchase HoT will be unable to continue receiving content updates after HoT hits (or at the very least story updates, I can’t remember exactly what).

Really? That’s like saying, that if you don’t buy HoT, no more updates for your acc’, ie your stuffed. Content wise anyway.

This implies they want you ‘commitment’ to the game…..interesting.

Linken.6345

Free legendary are you joking? I want to earn it in game not have it for buying a expansion.

Cool were did you get that flag mate,-Meh I bought the expansion…
Were did you get yours?

-Well I traveled out in the jungle and stumbled upon this small tribe of people, after befriending them and proving my worth by "hunting to provide food/ killing enemies or teaching them to make superior arms/armors to protect themselfs.
The Elders of this tribe gave me this flag

I know witch one I would prefer out of the two.

Posted by: gryph.8734

gryph.8734

Thank you ArenaNet. You have addressed my misgivings to my satisfaction. I will now most likely be pre-purachasing HoT. Salud Gaile, Regina, Colin, and the rest of the GW2 krewe.

Posted by: Cambeleg.7632

Cambeleg.7632

Since the most recent sale priced GW2 base at $10, exactly the equivalent of a character slot, this makes excellent sense.

Expansion + GW2 base game = Expansion + character slot.

Perfect solution.

A lot of people missed this point, but totally right.

Btw, HoT pre-purchased. I don’t need to wait until release for liking what I’ve seen until this moment, and whatever comes after release. We’ll see in the Guild Halls!

Its really just that simple.

minbariguy.7504

Lol! Exactly. But right about that time, the announcement for Guild Wars 3: Cantha will come out …

Well, sure, the announcement, but it’ll be another 7 years after that for GW3 to actually release. :-P

[EDIT to add: ]

…but don’t worry, you can pre-purchase GW3 next month.

I kid! I kid!

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

I tend to think of the free patch completely revamping how traits work as a part of the expansion. The only reason it is not directly a part of the expansion is to insure fairness, which really is a point in ANet’s favor. I’m also under the impression the new maps will have lots of work put into them. If it’s just 3 more Orrs I’d be really disappointed.

Main thing is I don’t really care about the starting price. It’ll drop soon enough and moment it hits close to 40 USD I’ll buy it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well it may come as a surprise to most of you, but I never doubted Anet would come through and do the right thing. I even may have said so once or twice. lol

Thanks for post, Anet!

Celtic Lady.3729

Well it may come as a surprise to most of you, but I never doubted Anet would come through

Yeah, I am totally shocked.

Posted by: Brostrodon.1657

Brostrodon.1657

As we mentioned in several posts on the forums and in various other media, we have been reading and gathering your feedback about the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns pre-purchase.

Please see this blog post for new information on the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns pre-purchase.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

Thank you so much for the great news! I now know what i’m getting my girlfriend and I when my overtime paycheck comes in! Anet has just proved to me how great of a company it is. You all took in so many angry comments on the forums, but you didn’t turn away from it, you embraced it and found a way to turn the tide. Thank you again!

Posted by: Brostrodon.1657

Brostrodon.1657

Business Model Clarification

We want to be clear about our business model for future expansions now that we are approaching our first paid expansion for Guild Wars 2. We believe that to keep the game dynamic and vibrant with a constantly growing community, it should be as easy as possible for new players to get into Guild Wars 2. For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Ok! You guys keep making the game, I’ll come back in 8 years and buy the battlechest version for one price. You’re not getting $50 out of me every time you release a class.

You’re going to miss out on 8 years of content that will never happen again, just so every three years you don’t have to pay $50? This is not just a class, its more zones, another campaign, and all future events for probably another 3 years. i’ve been through the last 3 years, and I have enjoyed every part of it. But if this is your decision, then i guess i can’t force you.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

No pre-purchase, no free character slot.

i’m sure they wouldn’t be so stupid to restrict it to pre-purchase-only, else this will all start again, only even more virulently.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

Reposted:

“We want to be clear about our business model for future expansions now that we are approaching our first paid expansion for Guild Wars 2. We believe that to keep the game dynamic and vibrant with a constantly growing community, it should be as easy as possible for new players to get into Guild Wars 2. For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

You guys do realize that they will use this^ as an excuse the continuously raise the price on us, right? $49.99 = HoT $59.99 = Future expansion: aka because it includes HoT already.

That extra character slot still isn’t a sure fire thing. I’m going to wait until they’ve expanded their servers, dropped the price, or whatever before buying HoT sorry.

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

It’s probably true. But I am selfish enough that I don’t really care that much, now that I an get it.

Posted by: gryph.8734

gryph.8734

Reposted:

“We want to be clear about our business model for future expansions now that we are approaching our first paid expansion for Guild Wars 2. We believe that to keep the game dynamic and vibrant with a constantly growing community, it should be as easy as possible for new players to get into Guild Wars 2. For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

You guys do realize that they will use this^ as an excuse the continuously raise the price on us, right? $49.99 = HoT $59.99 = Future expansion: aka because it includes HoT already.

That extra character slot still isn’t a sure fire thing. I’m going to wait until they’ve expanded their servers, dropped the price, or whatever before buying HoT sorry.

I’d just like to take this opportunity to point out that there are some players who are much harder to please than I am.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

$50 is not much to pay?

A player posted this:

So what? That has nothing to do with my argument; I don’t play whatever that other game is and it’s not related to GW2.

Again, calculate how much you pay per hour for this game. It’s CENT’S. Are you trying to suggest that paying Cents/hour is too expensive and entertainment cost? I beg to differ.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

minbariguy.7504

i’m sure they wouldn’t be so stupid to restrict it to pre-purchase-only, else this will all start again, only even more virulently.

Well, they have restricted it to pre-purchase only, and most people seem pretty happy with it. I really don’t think this is going to blow up again.

scerevisiae.1972

A character slot should be included with HoT even if people buy it after it comes out. Only including it in the preorder is messed up.

The character slot is required to make HoT fully functional. The core game doesn’t even have enough slots for all core professions. At the very least you should add one with HoT for the new profession.

To me this feels like I’m being bullied into preordering. I would much prefer to wait until the game comes out and decide if it’s worth the price.

Pushing the preorder this hard makes it seem like you don’t have confidence in the quality of the product. If it’s a good product people will end up buying it after it comes out.

I sincerely doubt they would be so foolish as to restrict the bundled char slot to pre-purchase-only after what’s happened, that would be another huge PR/brand disaster.

Though in re-reading the announcement, it does make it sound like it’s pre-purchase-only… I think they need to clear that up right away before this all gets out of hand (again).

scerevisiae.1972

Well, they have restricted it to pre-purchase only, and most people seem pretty happy with it. I really don’t think this is going to blow up again.

it’s because i don’t think most people realise it’s pre-purchase only…

Celtic Lady.3729

I sincerely doubt they would be so foolish as to restrict the bundled char slot to pre-purchase-only

It says pre-purchase, so that’s exactly how I understand it. If I buy the game after release, this veteran appreciation bonus won’t be part of the deal just like the half-price gems won’t be.

scerevisiae.1972

The recent announcement by Anet states:

“For all players who registered the core Guild Wars 2® game prior to January 23, 2015 and who upgrade their account by prepurchasing and registering any Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns edition before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, we will add one additional character slot to your Guild Wars 2 account. "

So even after this PR/brand disaster, you’re seriously going to restrict the bundled character slot to pre-purchases only? I have no words on how plain stupid this is…. I feel like I’m being kittened even more than before as now it seems like we’re being strongarmed into pre-purchasing while there’s still barely any detail for what appears to be a rather thin & slightly overpriced expansion (based on current info).

Why is char slot pre-purchase-only? Including a char slot in an expac that adds a new class FOR ALL existing customers is just plain common sense and treating your customers respectfully.

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)