The Floor Is Lava adventure insanity

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: AcidTekno.5192

AcidTekno.5192

I’ve tried to get gold in this stupid adventure for over 14 frickin hours… it’s not fun… it’s the exact opposite of fun… the most I have ever gotten is 23 but the time runs out before I could get the last two. I’ve watched videos, followed a set path… but still no gold. I know some more time was added to make it easier but still I can’t get it. I don’t even know how people got it before when the time limit was only 2 minutes rather than 2:15? And tips? Or should I just wait for them to nerf it again?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Follow the path and try to maintain the speed buff from the mushrooms. You should be constantly moving.

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

ya it’s designed horribly.

Ayrilana.1396

Everyone has their opinion about it. It’s too bad that yours was a negative one. It was actually one of the ones I enjoyed but then I was coming from doing A Fungus Among Us when the skills were still buggy.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

14 hours? There is probably some insanity but I am not convinced it is the adventure.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Why are you doing something that is the exact opposite of fun? Please be happy, do something else instead.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

“14 hours” riiiiiight.

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I don’t mind having content that I (being an old fart) can’t do, but having masteries attached to “mario/sonic like games which some people hate”, was stupid on Anet’s part. Masteries should be driven from MMO PvE/PvP content not dumb JPs and such. JPs and mini-games should be considered optional content that has it’s own rewards.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Would you mind linking the path you’re using?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Why are adventures needed to get masteries? Aren’t there enough mastery points outside of adventures?
(I ask this as a genuine question. I really don’t know about this)

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Why are adventures needed to get masteries? Aren’t there enough mastery points outside of adventures?

inb4

There are enough mastery points to net all of them, so you don’t need Gold rank specifically on all of them. The problem is some of the other mastery points come from group-only content like Verdant Brink bosses (need a very org’d map to do anything other than Matriarch) or ridiculous, time-wasting achievements in story mode like “don’t get hit, not even once” that we see as poorly-executed repeats from Season 2.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

inb4

There are enough mastery points to net all of them, so you don’t need Gold rank specifically on all of them. The problem is some of the other mastery points come from group-only content like Verdant Brink bosses (need a very org’d map to do anything other than Matriarch) or ridiculous, time-wasting achievements in story mode like “don’t get hit, not even once” that we see as poorly-executed repeats from Season 2.

You can get the VB bosses one at a time. You don’t really need an organized map.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I just haven’t got the ability to force myself to spend hours trying to complete a mini game. Anything that would take me hours to do, I skip. To me, it’s not worth the frustration. If I don’t excel at something in a game, I don’t do it. It’s a game. I practice for hours for real life competitions.

But I don’t do it for a game…

If it really frustrates you, I’d just give it up and do something you actually find enjoyable.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I finally got Gold on this adventure after about 2.5 hours of trying. Even with the increased time limit, it was still an incredibly difficult adventure. (I finished it with just half a second to spare!)

The problem with this adventure, just like with Haywire Punch-o-Matic, is that your performance is highly dependent on your ping. (Shooting Gallery was also affected by this to some extent, but the very generous time extension of 30s more than made up for it.) I was encountering constant problems with things like your character failing to launch when picking up spores or landing on mushrooms, or your glider not closing in time (causing you to miss pinpoint landings used by many of the Gold routes). Another frequent cause of frustration was how I constantly seem to take damage from landing, something which the Gold videos almost never seem to do. (I believe this is because, due to lag, the game thinks your character has been “in the air” for a longer period of time and thus the fall damage kicks in.) This results in me being put in combat slowdown a lot more often, slowing me even further.

Furthermore, there is usually a split-second delay between your key presses and your character kicking the fruit. Over 25 fruits, it all adds up to a significant loss of time.

So, yes, getting Gold IS attainable now even for folks like me on crummy pings, but it’s a lot of frustration and repeated attempts before you’ll make it. My advice to ANet is to increase the time limit for this adventure (and Haywire) by an additional 5 – 10 seconds to make it more fair for us overseas players.

Ayrilana.1396

I just did it after not having done it in the past several months. I didn’t follow any path and just randomly went to each spore with a lot of time wasted. I got 18 out of 25. If I did an optimal route, I’m pretty sure I would have gotten gold.

I’m pretty sure that most players should be able to obtain silver by simply following the route(s) used to get gold. Gold may even be obtainable as well.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This adventure was clearly tested only on site. Never with a range of pings. It was also likely tested only by one person, if anyone at all. Instead being tested with many people at the same time.

This shows a lot, making it literally impossible for some players.

• Too often there’s a collision above your character stopping jump. This is a widespread bug in which trying to jump against the steps of a stair will stop your character from jumping up the stair as if you were under the step instead against it. This is easily fixed by turning those collisions into a series of small slopes instead, and avoiding right angles in the collisions of the steps altogether when designing maps.
  • Too often you just don’t jump when using the clusters, even if there’s nothing anywhere near your characters. Nothing at all. The cluster gets used and the character stands still.
  • Because of different latencies, not everyone glides the same distances, jumps the same heights and starts gliding at the same time. Yet the minigame is clearly designed considering shortcuts that not everyone can use. Because of this, certain shortcuts are just impossible for some players, as even if they keep Space pressed, the glider won’t open until it’s too late, and they will crash against the wall.
  • Tested all races. And altough the kick animation lasts the same across all races, it doesn’t last the same for all players. Some can resume movement faster than others who are stuck longer in the kick.
  • If a player is defeated right next to anything other players need to use. The system will give priority to reviving. So other players around can on purpose troll your attempts by getting themselves killed on key spots. If they do so on the floor, other players will have a hard time reviving them, because they will get the effect too and suffer damage.
  • There’s a mushroom near the entrance that is often lured into the adventure to put players in combat and slow them down.
  • When resetting, the Corrosive Spores effect is not removed, forcing players to wait there before starting, adding to the frustration.

My recommendations:

• Increase time even more. At least 2:20, preferably 2:30.
  • Force teleport of anyone defeated to the area behind the rocks near the start, with no delays, right as they are defeated. That or disable revive within the adventure area if possible.
  • Adjust collisions so they match visuals better. Someone mashing space up a set of stairs should go up, not jump in place when there’s nothing over them.
  • Remove the kick animation on the fruits.
  • Do not cause the Spores effect to players not participating, and remove it at the end and start of the adventure.
  • Make the fruits and clusters trigger without having to press F, just running through them.
  • Remove the hostile mushroom near the entrance, or make it neutral, or add some rocks so it can’t chase players into the adventure.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Unholey.3264

Unholey.3264

Just find a decent route to take, memorize it and practice it. It’s not all that difficult. I managed to get gold on it before they increased the time limit, and with 3 seconds to spare, if I remember correctly.

It’s less about execution and more about what route you’re taking. Some are far more efficient than others. You should have no difficulty now with the added time. If a path you’re taking isn’t working, try something new.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

This adventure heavily depends on your ping since most things are server side. Half the time the launching doesn’t work if you have over 250 ping and stuff has delays so meh of course it looks easy if you have sub-100 ping.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Basically this. As I mentioned in my above post, I imagine players with good pings will find it fairly straightforward to get Silver or even Gold, while those of us with bad pings thanks to distance or just crummy internet infrastructure where we live will struggle like hell.

That said, I will agree that Silver is now obtainable on all the adventures with a bit of practice. Furthermore, ANet did reduce the requirements for the Elite Spec weapons from Silver to Bronze, so unless you’re a completionist or diehard AP hunter like me, you can probably forego Gold on all adventures. All I’m asking is that ANet be more accommodating with Gold rankings for those of us who labor under handicaps for these adventures.

Rauderi.8706

You can get the VB bosses one at a time. You don’t really need an organized map.

Allegedly “can”. No one does Axemaster because of its bad design.
But that’s not for this thread.

I finally got Gold on this adventure after about 2.5 hours of trying. Even with the increased time limit, it was still an incredibly difficult adventure. (I finished it with just half a second to spare!)

The problem with this adventure, just like with Haywire Punch-o-Matic, is that your performance is highly dependent on your ping. (Shooting Gallery was also affected by this to some extent, but the very generous time extension of 30s more than made up for it.) I was encountering constant problems with things like your character failing to launch when picking up spores or landing on mushrooms, or your glider not closing in time (causing you to miss pinpoint landings used by many of the Gold routes). Another frequent cause of frustration was how I constantly seem to take damage from landing, something which the Gold videos almost never seem to do. (I believe this is because, due to lag, the game thinks your character has been “in the air” for a longer period of time and thus the fall damage kicks in.) This results in me being put in combat slowdown a lot more often, slowing me even further.

Furthermore, there is usually a split-second delay between your key presses and your character kicking the fruit. Over 25 fruits, it all adds up to a significant loss of time.

So, yes, getting Gold IS attainable now even for folks like me on crummy pings, but it’s a lot of frustration and repeated attempts before you’ll make it. My advice to ANet is to increase the time limit for this adventure (and Haywire) by an additional 5 – 10 seconds to make it more fair for us overseas players.

2.5 hours. Yeesh. Bravo.

Though, this does highlight my points from this and other threads about Adventures. They’re poorly tuned for the controls that GW2 (or any MMO) have to work with. And that’s without having to divine some developer’s “secret path” in order to get the highest marks.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rauderi.8706

This adventure was clearly tested only on site. Never with a range of pings. It was also likely tested only by one person, if anyone at all. Instead being tested with many people at the same time.

This shows a lot, making it literally impossible for some players.

• Too often there’s a collision above your character stopping jump. This is a widespread bug in which trying to jump against the steps of a stair will stop your character from jumping up the stair as if you were under the step instead against it. This is easily fixed by turning those collisions into a series of small slopes instead, and avoiding right angles in the collisions of the steps altogether when designing maps.
  • Too often you just don’t jump when using the clusters, even if there’s nothing anywhere near your characters. Nothing at all. The cluster gets used and the character stands still.
  • Because of different latencies, not everyone glides the same distances, jumps the same heights and starts gliding at the same time. Yet the minigame is clearly designed considering shortcuts that not everyone can use. Because of this, certain shortcuts are just impossible for some players, as even if they keep Space pressed, the glider won’t open until it’s too late, and they will crash against the wall.
  • Tested all races. And altough the kick animation lasts the same across all races, it doesn’t last the same for all players. Some can resume movement faster than others who are stuck longer in the kick.
  • If a player is defeated right next to anything other players need to use. The system will give priority to reviving. So other players around can on purpose troll your attempts by getting themselves killed on key spots. If they do so on the floor, other players will have a hard time reviving them, because they will get the effect too and suffer damage.
  • There’s a mushroom near the entrance that is often lured into the adventure to put players in combat and slow them down.
  • When resetting, the Corrosive Spores effect is not removed, forcing players to wait there before starting, adding to the frustration.

My recommendations:

• Increase time even more. At least 2:20, preferably 2:30.
  • Force teleport of anyone defeated to the area behind the rocks near the start, with no delays, right as they are defeated. That or disable revive within the adventure area if possible.
  • Adjust collisions so they match visuals better. Someone mashing space up a set of stairs should go up, not jump in place when there’s nothing over them.
  • Remove the kick animation on the fruits.
  • Do not cause the Spores effect to players not participating, and remove it at the end and start of the adventure.
  • Make the fruits and clusters trigger without having to press F, just running through them.
  • Remove the hostile mushroom near the entrance, or make it neutral, or add some rocks so it can’t chase players into the adventure.

Very insightful recommendations, MA. I hope the devs take this advice.

Random Wax Orc.7695

Add Random Adventure credit to be purchased from the Proof of Heroics vendor in WvW. Fastest and easiest fix that Anet can do to address the insanity.

No lie, this would be the fastest way to get me into a WvW map…

Many alts; handle it!

Ayrilana.1396

Allegedly “can”. No one does Axemaster because of its bad design.
But that’s not for this thread.

It’s not bad design because you do not like it.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I made silver on my first try without knowing what to do. I decided against redoing it and trying for gold as I found it boring, and I am actually missing more xp than mastery points in hot. Not sure if it should be changed, but it felt very easy to get silver.

Rauderi.8706

I made silver on my first try without knowing what to do. I decided against redoing it and trying for gold as I found it boring, and I am actually missing more xp than mastery points in hot. Not sure if it should be changed, but it felt very easy to get silver.

After a few tries, I got Silver, so the burr in my foot about it is only somewhat irritating. I think my record is around 19-21. Close-ish to Gold but nowhere near, given the amount of time it takes to do all the kicking and jumping.

My main argument against it is, as a few have stated above, it’s just poorly optimized for many players, to the point where it behaves like it’s bugged. The action doesn’t feel smooth, and one split-second of ping could ruin a run.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Yes, it’s not clear whether adventures were intended for multiple players or should just be single player instances. Salvage pit is another one that’s easy and fun by yourself but with several people in it, it becomes unplayable because of the amount of red circles flying around.

I’m still trying to get gold on Floor is Lava. I will succeed. Though I might go mad.

Posted by: Alone.1784

Alone.1784

There are but some suck even more than adventure gold. The living story ones are locked behind EXTREMELY buggy content. Others are locked behind horrible meta achievement grinds for collections.

I just gave up trying to max out masteries and have been exp capped and short on points for months. Overall just another horribly designed system that maybe they’ll fix in three years if the game is still around.