in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Hello, ForumBug.

This week's spec teaser is up: Thief

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sad staff is confirmed. But after the Tempest disssapointment it was easy to spect Anet giving Thief yet another melee style. I hope is actually a good one, truly different from the actual base, and not only a new set of gimmicks to do exactly the same…

Wich could be the name of this new Elite Spec?

The Ninja? The Distractor? The Dragon Poker?

DareDevil according to datamining

*Dare Devil

daredevil* is one word.

Yes, it is. Except in the datamine they made it two words. Arrrgh!

Next we’ll be seeing the Handy Man, the Post Man, the News Paper …

semantics people. space or no space does not make it any better (as was the case with “DragonHunter” as well)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

they are ok with doubling up on weapons is what it means.
Though its possible they changed plans on druid.

Who knows, they’ve already skipped our reveal (based on the profession page and the fact every reveal has followed it.) Guess they need a lot more time, maybe they’re really pushing the boat out, but going by past example it’s probably broken and or old spagetti code holding it up.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Sad staff is confirmed. But after the Tempest disssapointment it was easy to spect Anet giving Thief yet another melee style. I hope is actually a good one, truly different from the actual base, and not only a new set of gimmicks to do exactly the same…

*Dare Devil

daredevil* is one word.

Yes, it is. Except in the datamine they made it two words. Arrrgh!

Next we’ll be seeing the Handy Man, the Post Man, the News Paper …

repairmanmanmanmanman

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

With a stick!
Bwahahaha. XD

I wonder if more people will be upset over thief-stick than Dargonhurrdurr.

Though now I’m curious what the spec will be, since Sniper is off the table.

to be honest, it was pretty apparent that we were getting staff for a while. and staff’s not a bad weapon – if they do the skills/traits/mechanic right, it could be incredible.

really what matters is the details, which we’ll be seeing later this week

(plus, while dragonhunter didn’t make sense with guardian mechanically or thematically, staff thief certainly makes sense thematically)

Heh, don’t mind my teasing. I’m mostly prodding at all the kittenhurt over the staff datamining. Sniper sounded cool, but I’m hoping for Cat Burglar (so I can play yet another Charr, haw!), though I heard the rumor of Daredevil? That sounds entertaining.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MCHarris.5648

MCHarris.5648

With a stick!
Bwahahaha. XD

I wonder if more people will be upset over thief-stick than Dargonhurrdurr.

Though now I’m curious what the spec will be, since Sniper is off the table.

to be honest, it was pretty apparent that we were getting staff for a while. and staff’s not a bad weapon – if they do the skills/traits/mechanic right, it could be incredible.

really what matters is the details, which we’ll be seeing later this week

(plus, while dragonhunter didn’t make sense with guardian mechanically or thematically, staff thief certainly makes sense thematically)

Heh, don’t mind my teasing. I’m mostly prodding at all the kittenhurt over the staff datamining. Sniper sounded cool, but I’m hoping for Cat Burglar (so I can play yet another Charr, haw!), though I heard the rumor of Daredevil? That sounds entertaining.

I just hope the staff isnt a boring ranged weapon

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

It’s either going to be a random shadow-magic spewstick, a’la Necrostaff, or it’s going to be a Tempest-level abortion that either tries and utterly fails to replace the Sword/* sets, or ArenaNet goes bonkers and obsoletes the Sword sets.

Why people think they’re going to give the Thief 5s knocks or heavy counterattack-blocks or anything else they always associate with staff ON THE INITIATIVE SYSTEM is beyond my comprehension. Initiative imposes hard limits on the amount of control a Thief can get on a weapon set, and the S/P set pretty much hits that limit.

They’re not going to give people Initiative-spammable knocks on staff. PvP players already scream like banshees over the Thief actually having any sort of advantage in combat – give them knocks on top of everything else, and the PvP side will pretty much just universally quit. I wouldn’t miss those guys, but ArenaNet would, so give it up.

They’re not going to remove the Initiative system so they can put the hard controls everyone wants on Staff on it – anyone who thinks so is dumber than Dinky. That’d force them to redesign every other Thief weapon in the game, as well as several of the Thief’s traits.

There’s nothing left for Staff to do. I just hope the rest of the spec is interesting enough to give me some new options to experiment with on the typical S/P set. Le sigh.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Ranger can now have Shortbow + Staff
Thief can now have Shortbow + Staff

Bifrost + Dreamer
Rainbows everywhere!!! A dream come true.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

I see Thief staff being an alternative to stealth, using it as a heavy acrobatic / dodge / evade mechanics like a Wushu-esq melee weapon. Would allow build diversity so stealth didn’t have to be the class crutch.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

assuming datamine is wrong, Deceiver makes sense.

Posted by: Ghin.1653

Ghin.1653

*Dare Devil

daredevil* is one word.

Didn’t your spellcheck sort this out when you tried typing it? lol

Posted by: Ghin.1653

Ghin.1653

thing is about Warrior Berserker, they said all classes would be getting access to previously unavailable skill types: G – traps, E – shouts, N – shouts, M – wells.

Berserker gets Rage. Something that just fits with his normal stuff. Revenant doesn’t count because he’s special with old school reservations.

Wonder what shiny things thief will get. Hopefully something that will help me wanna play him more (sucks as thief).

Posted by: MCHarris.5648

MCHarris.5648

It’s either going to be a random shadow-magic spewstick, a’la Necrostaff, or it’s going to be a Tempest-level abortion that either tries and utterly fails to replace the Sword/* sets, or ArenaNet goes bonkers and obsoletes the Sword sets.

Why people think they’re going to give the Thief 5s knocks or heavy counterattack-blocks or anything else they always associate with staff ON THE INITIATIVE SYSTEM is beyond my comprehension. Initiative imposes hard limits on the amount of control a Thief can get on a weapon set, and the S/P set pretty much hits that limit.

They’re not going to give people Initiative-spammable knocks on staff. PvP players already scream like banshees over the Thief actually having any sort of advantage in combat – give them knocks on top of everything else, and the PvP side will pretty much just universally quit. I wouldn’t miss those guys, but ArenaNet would, so give it up.

They’re not going to remove the Initiative system so they can put the hard controls everyone wants on Staff on it – anyone who thinks so is dumber than Dinky. That’d force them to redesign every other Thief weapon in the game, as well as several of the Thief’s traits.

There’s nothing left for Staff to do. I just hope the rest of the spec is interesting enough to give me some new options to experiment with on the typical S/P set. Le sigh.

Maybe the initiative system would get worked on similar to how the warriors system got remade

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Daredevil?
Not so bad. It could have been “Dare Dragon” or something worse.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

You know, the thief having a staff doesnt mean its a melee weapon: the staff is generally a ranged weapon in gw2.

On the other hand, the revenant uses the hammer as a ranged weapon, so what do I know, especially with a name like Daredevil :P

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Still could be rifle.

That pic makes him look like he’s in boat.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

That is a nice look staff the Thief has there.

You know, the thief having a staff doesnt mean its a melee weapon: the staff is generally a ranged weapon in gw2.

On the other hand, the revenant uses the hammer as a ranged weapon, so what do I know, especially with a name like Daredevil :P

You must be a Daredevil to Dare defy the law of Staffs in RPGs and use it as a melee weapon.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

inb4 Assacaster

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Here’s hoping they wield it like the Monkey King!

If only…if only…

Yeah, I hope so. While recycling the two-handed hammer stance for staff looks okay on a heavy armor profession like the revenant, I think it’d look really lame on a nimble profession like the thief. We’ll see soon enough, though I think the Monkey King stance would be perfect!

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Sigh, looks like thief gets staff.

Was really hoping for a rifle and some type of sniper spec with 1200 range.

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Since they already have the monkey king model with that stance in 3D animated and all, it should be easy to import it to actual characters.

Seabreeze.8437

Since they already have the monkey king model with that stance in 3D animated and all, it should be easy to import it to actual characters.

That’s what I’m thinking. I know the rigging is probably a bit different between the Monkey King and the other playable races, but the framework is still there, and to reiterate, I think it’d look much better than simply recycling the hammer stance.

Posted by: Ivan.3401

Ivan.3401

Obviously we are getting SF farming back <3. Now… where’s my Bone Dragon Staff?

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think spammable stealth was a mistake but IMO thief is one of the better-designed classes in this game, so this one should be pretty interesting. The initiative mechanic gives them a pretty wide range of unique game play.

It’s not like it can be any worse than Tempest anyway…

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

This human habit needs to stop.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Hm? It’s good to have facts, am I rite?!

It can’t be any worse designed than Tempest.
It can’t be named any worse than Dragon Hunter.
Can’t be any worse than Ranger in tPvP.
Can’t be any more OP than Elementalist.
Can’t be any worse in pve than Necromancer.

Sorry if I missed any other particular outliers.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Hm? It’s good to have facts, am I rite?!

It can’t be any worse designed than Tempest.
It can’t be named any worse than Dragon Hunter.
Can’t be any worse than Ranger in tPvP.
Can’t be any more OP than Elementalist.
Can’t be any worse in pve than Necromancer.

Sorry if I missed any other particular outliers.

That’s the old necro in you right there.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

(edited by azizul.8469)

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Looks promising. I called staff a long time ago but people doubted. It only makes sense. Either as melee or Shadow Arts focus I’m sure it will be bunches-o-fun!

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

All I know is my current thief has somethin to say to Anet.
p.s. I think he wants his rifle
On a second note, maybe its a secret spy gun cane

Attachments:

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

Thief with a staff!
What’s next? Fluffy feathers in each hand to tickle our enemy to death?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Well this surprises me. I was really expecting it to be rifle and the new trait line to be focused on firearms, because they kinda removed firearm traits from the old lines and because staff already went to rangers.

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Thief with staff?! My Rémi Heltzer wanted the Predator so badly, tho … Now, she has to delve down into her ancient Canthan Ancestor’s legacy instead. =8-) If thieves dont get the rifle, please please make it a martial arts staff at least … PS: but what about all them staff skins? Not a single one fitting as a martial staff … which means no good prospects … PPS: beautiful teaser artwork, btw. :-)

Attachments:

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

(edited by AuroraW.7149)

Seabreeze.8437

Thief with a staff!

Ya wanna try getting cracked over the head with a bo staff and tell me how much that tickles?

symke.3105

Thief with a staff!

Ya wanna try getting cracked over the head with a bo staff and tell me how much that tickles?

It’s not about the damage a staff can do, it’s about the notion of a Thief with a staff. Why not give him an elephant companion. That should fit the role of a thief just as good as a staff.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

That means it’s too late to invest in The Legend, as prices seem to have skyrocketed.

Ah well. I look forward to melee staff Thief.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

It’s not about the damage a staff can do, it’s about the notion of a Thief with a staff. Why not give him an elephant companion. That should fit the role of a thief just as good as a staff.

Baseless assumption. I’m sure thief will be fine with a staff as a melee weapon. For sure it’ll be much better than an Hammer or Greatsword as our 2H melee. Now those are weapons that do not fit the thief role at all.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Best way to stop it is having an open discussion about where players would like to see their class go rather than go silent for 6 months and reveal something virtually everyone hates.

I still stand by the notion that if your product is good, you don’t need BS marketing hype.

downed state is bad for PVP

symke.3105

Baseless assumption. I’m sure thief will be fine with a staff as a melee weapon. For sure it’ll be much better than an Hammer or Greatsword as our 2H melee. Now those are weapons that do not fit the thief role at all.

Interesting. You respond to my “baseless assumption” with your own. I wonder why?

stof.9341

Cause 2H hammer and greatswords are too big and bulky weapons for a thief style.

Here, I gave my reason. What’s yours? :p

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t see how people say that staff is not a weapon for Thiefs Elite Specialization?

The most Aguile class in the game is Thief and the picture shows the “Daredevil” in a Ninja/Assasin outfit and the staff/Bo is a typhical Japanese Martial Arts weapon.
I so much realy likes this idea and can maby make Thief alot more interesting for me, but we will see in the end of this week.

Some people would have wanted a Rifle. That is realy one of the worst Aguile, stealthy and light weapons to choose from while though Hammer would be even worse. Rifles are very noisy and they are heavy… Also Warriors are already the Snipers so why in the world should a thief have a Rifle?

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: QSDragonLord.7421

QSDragonLord.7421

First off, warrior isn’t a sniper. Stop saying that. Secondly, a thief isnt a ninja, and doesn’t fight in the same way. Now, I agree that a ninja could be a viable elite spec as it fundamentally changed the way the class plays(in theory at least), but a sniper is no less of an option for the same reason.

I play thief, and I would love a sniper. Stop using the same reasons to reject rifle, that you are using to defend staff.

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Words literally cannot describe how meh this spec is going to be. That’s okay, having a 1200 range weapon is for losers anyway.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

sniper probably would have sucked. They arent going to give you a god mode shot from range.

people complaining about blobs and WvW. Lets say it again, they arent going to let you burst someone from far range with no risk, so basically youd have a lower damage weapon, thats single target, when you are fighting a blob, pretty useless. Shortbow is probably the best type of weapon you can have for dealing with blobs, simple multi target, good utility, blast finishers and weakness fields.

The only way a sniper would have been good, is if it was more about tactics and preparation, and controlling the field of battle, and the weapon would probably have been a small part of that.

yeah staff is another melle option, but im guessing they are gonna go for a multihit brawler style, giving the theif the ability to survive in the middle of combat. Probably altering stealth in someway so while its called stealth it has a different property.

basically its probably going to add a tanky, multi target style to theif that doesnt turn invisible when it uses “stealth”

but thats just a guess.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

First off, warrior isn’t a sniper. Stop saying that. Secondly, a thief isnt a ninja, and doesn’t fight in the same way. Now, I agree that a ninja could be a viable elite spec as it fundamentally changed the way the class plays(in theory at least), but a sniper is no less of an option for the same reason.

I play thief, and I would love a sniper. Stop using the same reasons to reject rifle, that you are using to defend staff.

Oh I am sorry I called the warrior as a sniper… But there is a skill with the warrior that is a Snipe skill and it name is Kill Shot so play a warrior and go do Kill Shot and wham there you have your sniper. Anyway… The Sniper thing was something I pulled out from the clouds it isn’t something anyone have said what I know of… It’s just the only stealthy thing I can come up with with a Rifle.

Now saying Thief is not an assasin is pretty BS as the thief is pretty much based on the assasin class from GW1 it is just a name but the skillsets are the same and as I said thief is the most stealthy and nimble class as thus makes it most perfect as a Bo staff wielding martial artist.

I am not saying you are not allowed to think that Thief would be perfect with rifle, I may have not been clear but I mean that I(As in me and this means my opinion) don’t think that Rifle suits niether a Ninja, Assasin, Thief, Burlgar, a Hitman or any other silent and aguile classes.

A commando on the other hand, someone who is trained to snipe and withstand alot in closecombat could use a rifle but suits Warrior alot better and… Hey whatta you know Warriors allready got a one shot sniper skill with a range of 1500! And NPC’s wich are classed as snipers use this kinda skill.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: QSDragonLord.7421

QSDragonLord.7421

i didn’t say thieves aren’t assassins, or can’t be. What I said was that the thief is a burglar/highwayman/etc., and the stealing mechanic matches that. An assassin could as easily be eastern styled ninja, as it could be a western sniper assassin. Mechanics for the class aside, the idea has merit.

Ardid.7203

While a bo is a martial art weapon that a “ninja” would be able to use, it is NOT a proper “ninja weapon” at all.

Historical ninjas prefered smaller weapons, easy to carry and hide. Even long swords like the katana weren’t used very often: the classic ninjato is a way shorter, cheaper and lighter blade.

It make sense: if you were going to infiltrate a guarded place, squeezing through palisades, jumping across branches and roofs, and silently entering closed rooms to steal something or kill someone, you would avoid to carry huge, bulky and heavy things…

Hawks

stof.9341

While a bo is a martial art weapon that a “ninja” would be able to use, it is NOT a proper “ninja weapon” at all.

I guess the thief elite spec won’t be “Ninja” then. I heard rumors about a “Dare Devil” though.

Also, GW 2 Thief magic allows them to hide a Norn so I don’t think a Staff will be much of a problem.

Ardid.7203

I guess the thief elite spec won’t be “Ninja” then. I heard rumors about a “Dare Devil” though.

Also, GW 2 Thief magic allows them to hide a Norn so I don’t think a Staff will be much of a problem.

Of course, Tyria doesn’t need to make sense.

Hawks

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

They’re not going to give people Initiative-spammable knocks on staff.

how would that be any different than the spammable block on spear that thieves already have?

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)